Fifteen

It's All His Fault!

           The four of them sat in Haha’s restaurant again, stunned. No one spoke. Finally Jongkook lifted his head up from where he had been resting it on his hands, deep in thought.

            “What exactly happened back there? I only arrived to hear Haha trying to reason with him, and then he was kicking you out.”

            Kwangsoo let out a deep sigh. “Basically, he told us that he didn’t need our help and told us to get out.” He shook his head. “I just can’t believe it.”

            “Kwangsoo-ya,” Jihyo started hesitantly, “He’s going through a tough time and we might not really understand. I can tell that he didn’t actually want to be rude and kick us out. Trust me, I know. But maybe there’s something else that we don’t know about, and we were kind of rude for barging in like that. Maybe we should back off for a little bit and let him-”

            “No,” Haha interrupted her, speaking for the first time. “It’s not about that.” He stood up and kicked his chair angrily. “He’s just being a stubborn, prideful idiot, too proud to let us help. He thinks that he’s being so noble, taking all the burdens upon himself and quitting when he clearly doesn’t even want to. I’m done with this, guys,” he announced, grabbing his coat. “And here I thought that we were friends, but now I’m not even worth him telling the truth, not worth asking for help.”

            Jihyo and Kwangsoo both rose up to chase him after he left the restaurant in a huff, but Jongkook stopped them.

            “Let him be. He’ll cool down after a while,” he told them, so they sat back down. Kwangsoo let out another sigh.

            Just then, Jongkook’s phone rang. He checked the caller ID, and his eyebrows rose. “It’s Jaesuk-hyung.” He accepted the call. “Hyung…. Yes, I’m with the kids…. Yes…. oh really? Alright.”

            “Hyung says that the PDs finally got in contact with Leessang,” he informed them while putting his phone in his pocket. “He says that he’ll meet us tomorrow morning at SBS where the PDs will be discussing with Gary.” He stood up, motioning for Jihyo and Haha to get up as well. “We might as well go home now. Go get some rest. The meeting’s bright and early at nine.”

            Jihyo was sure that she wouldn’t be able to sleep anyway, because of worry, but since she was exhausted from the events of that day and because there was no point in arguing, she obeyed and went back to the apartment that she shared with her boyfriend. He hadn’t arrived home yet, so after a nice cold shower and a short dinner of ramen, she lounged out on her couch, thinking about everything that had happened.

           The apartment was awfully quiet without her boyfriend, and she felt a little lonely. It was a loneliness she didn’t usually feel anymore, not since she’d joined Running Man and gained that extra family. Sure she had other great friends, but somehow the members and crew of Running Man had just gotten so close over the years. They went above and beyond seeing each other once a week for work and had decided to get closer by having frequent outings almost every week in which they went to Jongkook’s house or Haha’s restaurant just to catch up, relax, and joke around, ribbing each other good naturedly. She grinned, thinking of the good old days. Feeling nostalgic, she her TV and found a channel that was playing reruns of Running Man. They were playing the Superpowers episode, and seeing Gary and herself happily hug at the coffee shop after they became partners made her smile. Gary had the silliest expression on his face, grinning from ear to ear as they ran, arm in arm, to the mission location. She laughed as she watched how Jaesuk was the one who got left out of the couples Christmas party, having to sit outside in the bitter cold watching as pair after pair entered the party, teasing him for being alone. Then she had a thought that made her smile falter.

            By the end of this week, I might not have all of this family anymore. And, she couldn’t help but think as she watched the onscreen Gary run around with his many Lolols, I may never see him again.

            She sat in silence for a while, watching her and her coworkers run around onscreen. She shook her head, trying to banish those sad thoughts. No, this won’t do, she thought. She pulled out her cellphone and clicked Gary’s name.

            Oppa, she texted. I don’t know if you will read this. But if you do… I just want you to know that we’re all worried about you and hope you’re doing well. If there’s anything I can do for you, please tell me. Don’t just hold it in to yourself.

            Oppa. We miss you.

            She sighed and flopped back on the couch. Her phone buzzed and she picked it up eagerly, wondering if it was Gary, but it was Kwangsoo instead.

            Noona. Have you given up yet? I haven’t.

            Me neither, she replied.

            He sent another text. Good. It ain’t over till it’s over! Fighting!

            She grinned. See you tomorrow, then! Then she went to bed with renewed energy for the next day.