Twenty-six

It's All His Fault!

So she did what a fearless Ace should never do. She ran away.

She ran away to the one she thought, for the longest time, that she loved. The one who promised her a refuge, promised her something that she could control when so much of her life was dictated by a PD sitting behind a camera, by delusional fans, by even fate that seemed to laugh at her, pointing out her compatibility with Gary every chance it got, trying to control her love life as well.

Baek Chang Joo looked up from his phone call when she burst into his office. He hung up and looked at her, a question in his eyes. Without saying a word, she closed the gap in between them, pulled him to her, and kissed him. She kissed and kissed, drowning out her thoughts.

She paused and let him get some air. “Oppa.”

He opened his mouth, as if to ask, but Ji Hyo stopped him.

“Take me home, oppa.”

And then she let him take her away, clearing away her confused emotions for the entire night until morning.

                                           ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

She stared at her CEO, fork poised in mid-air. She wondered if she had heard him right.

“Did you just say that you want to break up?”

Chang Joo averted his eyes, focusing on the sandwich in front of him. “It’s for the best, Seong Im-ah.”

She waited for the tears to form in her eyes, but none came. She searched herself for anger, but there wasn’t even that. She felt nothing.

“Why?” Her voice was oddly calm, even as her mind roared with nothingness.

He fiddled with the sandwich uncomfortably, then set it down and met her eyes.

“I’ve thought this over for a long time, Seong-Im, and I….” He cleared his throat. “I think, deep down in your heart, you know why.”

She put down her fork adamantly. “What are you saying?” Her voice trembled, and she was surprised to find that it was tinged with fear. Fear? What did she fear? Perhaps you just fear not being able to use him as an excuse any more, her traitorous thoughts whispered, but she ignored them.

“I think we’d both be lying to ourselves if we said that we still loved each other… in the same way as before.” The corner of his lips jerked up in a half smile. “I think that if you were honest with yourself, you’d realize the same thing. And you’d realize, as I have, that your heart has long been with someone else.”

Jihyo opened and closed it, not knowing what to say. He seemed to understand and gently shook his head.

“I’m sorry. But I’m tired being with you, pretending that I don’t know that you’re using me to run away from the truth.” He stood and took his coat from off the back of his chair. This motion snapped her out of her shock, and she found her hands reaching out to grab his desperately.

“Oppa.. Don’t do this… please don’t leave me,” she whispered. His lips curved up in another weak smile as his hand reached out to push her hair off her face. He leaned down to kiss her forehead one last time.

“Be happy, Seong-Im ah. Be true to yourself.” And then he was gone, leaving Jihyo feeling more confused and alone than ever before. And then finally, the tears came.