Quite the Predicament

Our Journey Begins Here

 

Waking up on my husband’s firm chest that morning was a great feeling. It reminded me that all of this was real. There would be no more lonely, sleepless, boring nights for me.

I stared at his face which looked so peaceful in slumber. Just thinking about what he had to endure at training camp made me even happier to know that he’s finally home relaxing. He told me of the tiring conditions. Having to wake up at 5 in the morning in order to make it to their morning drill at 5:30. Then practicing for at least two hours before being allowed a break. Then going to hours-long team meetings to only have to practice again for a second time that same day for hours at a time.

By the time he was done with everything, it would be so late in the night that phone calls between the two of us would be nearly impossible because I would either be dozing off or already asleep. That's what made communicating so hard for us. Some nights I would stay up awaiting his phone call, only to be disappointed with none because he had dozed off himself due to a tiring day. Nonetheless, he's here now sleeping peacefully, obviously thankful to finally be home.

I poked his face causing it to twitch. I snickered and poked it again causing him to do the same thing. As I was about to do it a third time, his hand stopped mine in mid-action and he slowly opened his eyes. "I'm glad you're in such a good mood," he said with a smile, "because I have some news for you."

Oh great. The last time he said he had news for me, he told me that he accidentally told the whole world about my pregnancy, but maybe it'll be different news this time...hopefully.

"What news do you have for me?"

Minho chuckled nervously. "Promise not to get mad?"

"Oh god, Minho. What did you do this time?"

"Um…Ok, I may have sort of lost a bet."

".......Ok?"

"A bet that involves you"

I sat up to get a better look at him. "I'm not liking where this is going."

"Alright, so Jinki and I were joking around and I was teasing him on how rusty he must be on the field since he spends more of his time coaching now than playing. Then he was like 'I'm not a coach for nothing. I was the best player on my college team'. Then I bet that I could score more goals than him in 30 seconds. Then he was like 'You're on. If I win, I get to take Kibum out on a date'"

I raised a brow as realization hit me. "You made a bet on me?"

Minho quickly defended himself as he sat up, "But you have to hear me out! He said if I won, he would give me a whole week off of practice. That would mean I would have a week, 24 hours a day and 7 days a week, of spending time with my precious pregnant husband and our family. So really I did it for you and the kids, see?"

When I gave no response, he quickly added, "So I lost the bet and to make a long story short, you have to go on a date with Jinki-"

I gasped and smacked his chest. "Minho!"

"I'm sorry! I really am. If I knew I would've lost, I wouldn't have made the bet to begin with. It's just that a whole week off was something I really could've used. You understand, right?"

I glared and crossed my arms. "Only you can make me love you and want to hate you at the same time."

He pulled me into a hug and buried his head into my neck. "You're not mad at me are you?"

I was silent before letting out a sigh. I rubbed the back of his head. "Better a date with Jinki than some random guy, right?"

He lifted his head to meet my eyes. "So you'll do it?"

"Well, I'm not one for breaking promises and Jinki's been begging to take me out since he's met me, so I'll just do it to get it over with. However, you're going to owe me big time."

He kissed me ecstatically. "Whatever you want. Thanks for doing this for me. Coach would have been heartbroken. "

"Yeah, yeah whatever. I have a question though."

"What is it?"

"He does know I'm pregnant right?"

Minho let out a boisterous laugh. "Yeah, he does. Honestly, you could grow two heads and he would still want to go out on a date with you."

"That’s kind of disturbing. Anyway, tell Jinki it's a date. Just tell me when and where today. I can't believe I'm actually doing this."

"Umma, I'm hungry," we both glanced at a sleepy Jongin rubbing his eyes while his brother was still knocked out.

Just at the mentioning of food, my stomach grumbled. "I'm hungry too."

My mom walked in. "I already got you covered. Me and your appa are starting on breakfast." She walked over to the couch and sat next me placing a hand on my stomach. "Is my little granddaughter hungry?"

"Umma, let's not do this again. I can't go another day with you and Appa arguing over my baby."

"Ok, ok. I understand." She leaned in and whispered. "Just know that I'm right."

I whispered back. "Whatever you say."

"Minho, what's your preference on the gender of the baby?"

I smacked my lips because, whether it was my hormones or not, I was getting sick of having this conversation. "Umma, unlike you and your husband, Minho doesn't care. He's just happy we're having a baby and that's that. Now can we please stop talking about it?"

"Someone's a little grumpy. Good luck with this one, Minho," she joked. I gave Minho a look, daring him to laugh. Luckily for him he caught on and held his composure.  My mom sighed. "You guys are no fun. I'm going to go talk with my grandsons." She got up and went to the floor where Jongin was finding something to watch on tv and Taemin was still sleeping.

"Are you ok?" Minho asked as he brushed his fingers through my hair.

I gave him a slight smile. "Yes, I'm fine. Just a little irritated. It's the hormones more than myself, but I'm glad you're here. You always make me feel better – well most of the time. Anyway, let's get up and get ready for the day." He groaned a little as he moved to sit up some more. "Are you ok?"

"Yeah, I'm still a little sore from camp. Don't worry. This happens every year so I'm used to it."

"You didn't seem sore yesterday."

"I don't know. For some reason, the effects of working out so intensely for weeks seem to hit me more after I've come home. I'll be ok though, Kibum."

I rubbed his buff arms as I said, "Awww, my poor husband. Maybe a warm shower will help calm your muscles."

"I hope so. Maybe something else can calm me too," he whispered suggestively.

I furrowed my brows and whispered back. "Not in my parents' house with the kids here."

He groaned and whined. "Come on, Key. We haven't seen each other in weeks. You can't tell me you don't have any pent up feelings you want to let out."

He was right. I did have some thoughts of doing things with Minho when he came back. Three weeks is a long time without and since being married, me and Minho haven't even gone longer than a week without before his training camp came. So I understand his frustration. I just didn't plan on seeing him for the first time at my parents' house yesterday. I want our first time together in a long time to be as romantic as our honeymoon. I don't want it to be a quickie in the shower or something I feel that I need to hide because my family is around. I want to do it when I'm comfortable and not anticipating someone barging in.

"I'm sorry, Minho, but I can't. I'm not comfortable doing it here. Not to mention, we're whispering about this while my kids and umma are sitting a couple of feet away from us. Don't you feel a little – dirty?"

He gave a quick second to think about it before confidently saying, "Nope!"

His response caused me to grunt and roll my eyes. "Well, if all you're going to be thinking about while we're here is then you can take a long cold shower by yourself."

I got up slowly – conscious of my ever growing belly – and went to my duffle bag to find a change of clothes, my shampoo bottle, and toothpaste.

"You can't be serious, Kibum," I heard Minho say desperately as I dug through my bag.

"As serious as I'll ever be." After gathering everything, I walked towards the bathroom pass the couch.

However, before I could make it to the bathroom, Minho asked, "What am I supposed to do about this?" He pointed down to the tent in his pants.

"You were born with two hands. Choose one. While that one’s busy, use the other to call Jinki and tell him I'll meet him today since we're in Seoul." Then I went in the bathroom to get washed up, but not before catching Minho's amused and somewhat horrified expression.

After showering, the whole family gathered in the dining room to eat the delicious homemade breakfast my parents prepared. I would never get tired of their cooking and it amazed me that they hadn't thought of opening their own restaurant yet.

Breakfast was full of jokes and laughs as our family bonded over our delicious meals. Me and Minho were in our own little world as he snuck pictures of me eating and posted a picture on Instagram of his hand on top of my stomach. I knew the picture was going to be a hot topic on the blogs and social media, but I didn't want to ruin the joy that was radiating from Minho. He showed so much pride whenever our unborn baby was involved.

"So, Kibum," said my dad, "What do you guys have planned today?"

I almost scoffed as I was reminded of the impromptu date that I was basically forced to go on. "Well, I plan on having the boys go see their appa today while I go on a lovely date with Minho's coach. As for Minho, he can do whatever his damn heart desires to pass by the time."

My dad sat with a confused expression before he asked, "Umm, did I miss something?"

Minho placed a gentle hand on my arm to try to soothe me, but it wasn't working. "Oh, nothing except that fact that your precious son-in-law lost a bet with his coach, and to make a long story short, I have to go on a date with his coach."

"Wait....what?"

"My exact reaction, Appa."

Minho quickly defended himself, "But I can explain. Coach was going to let me off for a whole week. That's a whole week I could've spent with my family and helping Kibum out with his pregnancy. I couldn't pass that up."

"Hmm. He does have a point, Kibum." I rolled my eyes because of course my dad was going to take his side.

Taemin commented, "Well, I don't know about you guys, but I'm just happy that I get to see Appa today. I really miss him."  Despite the situation, his comment was able to bring a smile to my face.

"Yeah," Jongin chimed, "He's been so busy with celebrity stuff that he forgot about us, Tae."

My heart melted. "Aww, you guys. Trust me when I say that your appa hasn't forgotten about you. You two are all he thinks about so don't ever feel this way, ok?"

They both nodded before my dad asked, "So when is the bastard coming to pick up his kids-"

"Appa," I gave him a pointed look. "Not in front of the kids. Anyway, I texted him after I got out of the shower so he'll be here soon enough actually. Boys, go pack up your bags and put them in my car." I gave Taemin my car keys before he and Jongin ran off excitedly knowing that they were going to spend some time with their Appa today.

Once they were out of hearing range, I gave my dad a deadly glare. "What the hell was that about, Appa?"

"You know I've never liked Jonghyun-"

"And I understand that, but one thing you will not do is insult him in front of my kids. That's their father. They look up to him and love him. I don't need their image of him being tainted because of your personal feeling towards him."

He childishly claimed, "I bet if they knew everything he did to you, Jonghyun wouldn't have such a prestigious title in their minds."

Ok, now he was starting to piss me off. "And I bet if they found out that their grandpa kicked out their own umma when he was pregnant, they wouldn't have such a prestigious view of you neither, Appa."

That seemed to set the tone. There were a few moments of awkward silence until my mom commented, "Kibum's right, honey. Jonghyun's a great father to the boys and he's backed off of his crazy antics lately. His children shouldn't suffer from our past with him."

"So that means we should forget the past ever happened?" my dad stubbornly asked.

I dramatically huffed and crossed my arms, so done with this conversation. As I was about to lash out again, I felt Minho's loving hands settle onto my shoulders. I then felt two light pecks on my neck next to my ear, and whispered, "Calm down. Think about the baby."

He was right. Everything I do affects my baby. I was told by my doctor to avoid serious arguments or any other forms of stress that could harm my baby. It was moments like this that made me so much more appreciative that Minho was back.

"Minho," my dad addressed," where do you and Jonghyun stand now? I can't be the only one that feels uncomfortable pretending that things are ok with this guy."

Minho looked at me before answering, "Well, I don't have any more ill feelings toward him. I mean there's no way I could ever see us as friends, but he's someone that is important to Kibum and, most importantly,  Taemin and Jongin. So I try not to let my feelings outweigh my reasoning because me and Jonghyun are going to have to keep seeing each other for many years down the line as long as it involves the boys."

It made me so proud to hear those words come from Minho. He and Jonghyun had really come a long way from fist fights to silent understandings. They don't have too many interactions with each other, but whenever they do, things are cordial. I make it my main priority to let Minho know how much I appreciate his understanding of the situation.

Just then, the doorbell rang and Minho got up to answer the door. As he was gone, my dad chose to address me.

"Sorry, Kibum."

I sighed not really wanting to relive the conversation. "I know, Appa."

"It's just --you're my only child. I want to protect you from any harm that can potentially come your way. I failed in protecting you when Jonghyun came into your life. I'm not going to allow myself to fail again. I love you too much for that."

"I love you too, Appa, and I will always respect your opinion. You can hate Jonghyun all you want. I just don't want you hating him in front of my kids."

He smiled slightly. "I understand, son. When did you grow up so fast?"

"When you were too busy hating Jonghyun." That caused a warmed hearted laugh to erupt from my tiny family.

Minho came back in the kitchen. "I think it's for you. I didn't open the door."

"Who is it?"

"It's Jonghyun."

 


Ok, so I was totally going to update sooner, but my Wi-Fi has been acting up lately. Thankfully, it’s working now! Plus, I upgraded to a new kickass laptop so I’m inspired to use it! Anyway, thanks for reading and please comment.