Neighbors

Our Journey Begins Here


 

It'd been a couple weeks since Taemin and Jongin's spat with that Chanyeol kid, but thankfully, nothing more came out of it, and Kibum hoped it never did.  Seeing his children hurting only made him want to protect them even more. There's no way he's letting anyone, whether they're grown or a child, think that they can lay a hand on his children. With a new baby to worry about, his paternal instincts were at an all time high.

Aside from that, everything seemed to have gone back to normal. Kibum being hormonal, Minho taking care of him, and the boys being the boys. 

"Ow!" Minho and Key heard Jongin scream from upstairs. "Stop doing that!"

Kibum sighed, "Why can't they ever get along, Minho? You'd think they'd have gotten closer after the incident with Chanyeol."

Minho chuckled as he continued to rub Key's shoulders. "Well, they are brothers. They're bound to fight. We know they love each other deep down inside."

"Yeah, but it's just so worrying sometimes, especially when you're gone at work and I'm alone with them."

"You don't have to worry about that any longer, babe. Jinki's finally got a meeting set up for me with the sports network."

Kibum gasped and shifted a little to look at Minho. "Channel 5?!"

Minho nodded. "Yep, Channel 5. Nothing's guaranteed yet, but I have a pretty good feeling about this. Being a commentator instead of being on the field would give me plenty of time to be home with you. So don't worry. Everything will work out."

Kibum sighed and leaned back against Minho's chest. "I can only hope so."

Minho kissed Kibum's neck before saying. "How's our little girl doing?"

That question caused Kibum to smile. "She's not being nice today. My back hurts. I think she's doing it on purpose. I don't know why she's so active."

Minho answered excitedly, "Maybe she'll be my little soccer prodigy! Just imagine, Kibum. We could be the ultimate father-daughter duo."

Kibum rolled his eyes before leaning further into his husband. "You have some wild dreams. Anyway, I'm proud of you. I hope you're able to get this job."

"Yeah, me too."

"Umma! Taemin won't give me back my tablet!" Jongin screamed at the top of his lungs. 

Taemin replied, "It's not even yours! It's both of ours you idiot! Stop hogging it!"

Kibum groaned. "I told you getting that tablet would be a mistake. Now go up there and fix this mess-"

"But-"

"Now, Minho before I take that thing myself and throw it in the trash!"

At the sound of his husband getting irritated, Minho quickly got up from the couch and ran upstairs to handle the situation. As he went upstairs, the doorbell rang, causing Kibum to wish he hadn't sent his husband away. He really didn't feel like getting up from his comfortable spot on the couch to answer the door. 

He decided to wait it out, but the doorbell rang again followed by a light knock on the door. He cried internally as he struggled to lift himself off the couch. 

"I'm coming," he called out as he wobbled to the door. He looked out the peephole, but didn't recognize the strangers.

After unlocking and opening the door, Kibum was greeted with two smiling men along with two children at their sides. The shorter of the two men was the first to speak. 

With a gentle smile, he said, "Hello, sorry to bother you. My name is Junmyeon and this is my husband Kris, my son Sehun, and my other son Kyungsoo. We just moved into the neighborhood and are making our rounds introducing ourselves to the neighbors."

Kibum sent a warm smile back to the family, especially when he noticed the two boys looked about the same age as Taemin and Jongin. "Hey, nice to meet you. I'm Kibum. I had no idea we had new neighbors. When did you move in?"

Kris answered, "We officially moved everything in yesterday. We thought it would be rude of us not to try to make friends around here. Again, we're sorry for bothering you-"

"No, it's fine! Really. Would you guys like to come in? I would like to get to know you better. I also have kids, so your boys can get to know them too."

Junmyeon gave a radiant smile. "We'd love that."

"Come on in," Kibum let them walk past him before closing the door and following behind. The family stopped in the living room. "Feel free to sit and make yourselves comfortable. My husband should be down here in a minute with the kids." He texted Minho's phone, knowing that it was in his husband's pocket, telling him they had visitors and to bring the kids down. 

Junmyeon and Kris nodded before sitting on the couch, their kids sitting right next to them. Kibum sat on the adjacent couch before directing his attention to the two kids. 

"So what were you guy's names again?"

The taller of the two spoke first. "I'm Sehun."

The shorter male with the cutest eyes Kibum had seen quietly spoke up. "I'm Kyungsoo."

"Well, it's nice to meet you Sehun and Kyungsoo." He spoke to the parents, "Which one is older?"

Kris replied, "Kyungsoo. I know it may not look like it since Sehun is taller."

"Yeah," said Junmyeon. "My baby didn't get the tall genes, but he still has time to grow. Sehun definitely got his genes from Kris."

Kibum chuckled. "Oh, trust me. I understand. My oldest son is shorter than my youngest. At times people mistake the other for being older."

"What are your sons' names?"

"Taemin and Jongin. Taemin's the oldest. He's in the sixth grade."

Kris commented. "Oh, so is Kyungsoo. Does Taemin attend the school closest to this neighborhood?" Kibum nodded and Kris continued, "That's the school Kyungsoo's  transferring to."

"That's perfect!" He turned to Kyungsoo. "Don't worry, Kyungsoo. Taemin's really nice. He could show you around so you wouldn't be lost."

Kyungsoo gave a small smile. "Thank you."

"He's so shy," Kibum commented to Junmyeon. 

"Yeah, that's my baby though," Junmyeon said as he wrapped an arm around Kyungsoo's shoulders. "I just hope that he'll make some great friends out here that'll help him open up more. He's always been a quiet and obedient child, which I'm happy for, but I want to see him become more outspoken."

"Well Taemin's the perfect kid to bring that out. Sometimes he's a little too outspoken, but I can't complain too much since he gets that from me."

Kris spoke up. "What about your other child? Jongin, right? What's he like?"

"Jongin's an angel. I barely have any problems with him. He's in the fifth grade."

"So is Sehun."

"Wow, everything just works out doesn't it? Jongin's a great kid. I'm positive he would have no problem helping Sehun get used to the school. I have no doubt in my mind that they'll be great friends."

Junmyeon let out a sigh of relief. "That's great to hear. To be honest, I was quite worried for my kids. We just moved here from China-"

"China? How'd you end up here?"

Kris replied, "Well, I'm Chinese and I became a pro basketball player in China. Then a couple years in, I got an opportunity to make more money by transferring to a team here in Korea. So that's what I did. I met Junmyeon while playing here, we fell in love, and had the kids. After some time, we decided to move the whole family to China since I had another job offer there that would pay more. Now, I'm back in Korea hoping to make this a permanent move for us. Sorry for the long story."

"It's no problem. That's actually a very interesting story. It makes me like you guys more," he said lightheartedly. "So your kids can speak Chinese as well?"

Junmyeon nodded. "Yeah, not as fluently as Kris, but definitely better than me. I could never get the tonal thing down. I had to depend on Kris and my kids for the majority of the time that I was over there, but it all worked out."

"That touches my heart. Really. I love stories like that. I find you guys so fascinating. Please don't think I'm weird."

The parents burst out laughing. Junmyeon replied, "It's ok. I'm glad someone finds us interesting. I thought it would be hard adjusting back to Korea and making friends, but I think we'll get along just fine."

Kibum nodded. "Yeah." He checked his phone to see if Minho responded but he hadn't. "I don't know what my family is doing. Excuse me for this," he said before shouting, "Minho! Taemin! Jongin! Get down here! We have guests!"

A few moments later, footsteps were heard coming down the stairs.  Taemin and Jongin came in first looking confused when seeing the new neighbors. When Minho came down, he did the unexpected. 

"Kris?!" Minho said in bewilderment. 

"Minho?!" Kris said back in equal confusion and excitement. He hopped up and gave Minho a hug. "It's been forever man! How's it been?"

"It's been great! How about you?"

"Wait," Kibum said as he motioned for the boys to sit down next to him. "You guys know each other?"

Minho nodded. "Yeah, we used to run into each other all the time at sporting events."

"But you guys play two different sports."

"Yeah, but there are lots of sporting functions throughout the year that all sports players are invited to. Like those dinners we used to go to."

Kibum remembered those dinners. He never felt comfortable there because he never had a clue about what was going on. "Well that's great honey. Kris and his family are our new neighbors. That's his husband Junmyeon, and his sons Sehun and Kyungsoo. They're both around Taemin's and Jongin's age. Plus, they're going to the same school."

Minho grinned. "What are the odds! Wow, this is really great." He looked to Junmyeon. "Nice to finally meet you. Kris used to tell me so much about you around the time you first met."

Junmyeon gave another gentle smile that Kibum was starting to love. "Nice to meet you as well."

Minho looked at the kids and said, "I'm glad to meet you guys too. I'm Minho. You can call me Mr. Choi."

"Hi, Mr. Choi," Sehun and Kyungsoo said at the same time. 

"Jongin. Taemin. Come over and introduce yourselves."

Taemin and Jongin stood up and walked closer to Sehun and Kyungsoo. 

Taemin smiled and waved. "Hey! I'm Taemin."

"And I'm Jongin," Jongin said with a matching smile.

"Boys," said Kibum," How about you take Sehun and Kyungsoo upstairs."

Kyungsoo and Sehun looked at their parents as if asking if it was ok to leave them. Junmyeon nodded and said, "Go ahead. Play nice and make friends. We'll come get you guys when it's time to leave."

 

The kids went upstairs, leaving the adults downstairs to catch up. Minho went to sit next to Kibum while Kris sat back down next to Junmyeon. 

"Kris, we definitely need to catch up over some beers sometime."

"Agreed. I had no idea I would be living so close to a friend. It's funny how much our lives are so similar. We're both married. We both have two kids-"

"Three," Minho corrected. "She's not here yet, but we're waiting patiently." He placed a hand over Kibum's stomach. 

Junmyeon gasped, "You're pregnant?"

Kibum nodded. "Yeah. I'm approaching eight months now. The due date is getting closer."

"Aww. I suspected that you were, but I didn't want to seem rude if I was wrong."

"Oh it's ok. I know I look like a blowfish," he chuckled. "That's the one thing I won't miss about being pregnant. The extra weight."

"Ah, I remember those days. Though they were tough, I kind of miss them."

"Miss being pregnant?"

"Yeah. I know it seems crazy, but I enjoyed being pregnant both times. I really wanted a third baby.....but things didn't work out. We lost it three months in," said Junmyeon while Kris rubbed his arm comfortingly. 

Kibum's heart dropped at hearing that. A miscarriage was something he'd always feared and never wanted to think about. Junmyeon's a strong person, he thought. Kibum didn't think he could ever get over something like that. He definitely wouldn't be the same. 

"I'm so sorry to hear that."

Junmyeon shook his head. "Sorry to bring down the mood. Everything's fine now. Ever since then, we've given up trying to have another child. The experience was too traumatic. But anyway, congrats on your pregnancy! Is it a boy or a girl?"

"It's a girl. We've yet to name her, but I'm hoping we'll have everything figured out before the delivery. This is Minho's and I's first child so it's a little nerve wrecking."

 

"Your first child? I thought Jongin and Taemin were your children."

 

Kibum mentally slapped himself for not explaining the situation better. "Taemin and Jongin are my children from a previous relationship. I met Minho after I had the boys. It was a very messy situation. Like the media covered it and everything."

"Don't worry. We've been through a messy media situation before too."

"Really?"

Kris answered. "Yeah I still feel really bad about it because it was partly my fault."

Junmyeon comforted him. "Baby, it wasn't your fault. You can't control others' actions."

Minho asked, "What happened?"

Kris sighed. "I had a crazy ex. Huang Zitao. His name still leaves a sour taste in my mouth. The guy was still in love with me after our breakup and couldn't accept that I'd moved on and started a family with Junmyeon. He spread false rumors and tried to destroy my family. Excuse my language, but it was a real ed up situation."

Junmyeon nodded. "We almost got a divorce because of it."

Kibum gasped. "Really? Why?"

"Because I couldn't take it anymore. A lot of that stuff happened right about I had Sehun, and I was going through postpartum depression. I wasn't in the best state of mind." 

Kris kissed Junmyeon's temple. "Yeah it was a hard time for us, but thankfully we didn't get a divorce. We came out of that situation stronger than ever. It made me realize how much I really love this man."

"Awww," Kibum cooed. "That's so sweet. I'm so glad you guys are our neighbors. I think I'm in love with you both."

Junmyeon chuckled. "I like you guys too. I know this is a change of subject, and I hope you don't think it's invasive of me asking this, but what do you do for a living, Kibum? I'm just curious."

"To be honest, I do a lot. I'm a designer, stylist, makeup artist. Basically anything my company wants me to do for the idols."

"You work with idols? How exciting!"

"I usually do, but since I'm pregnant, I've been working from home lately. What about you? What do you do?"

"Me? Oh, I'm just a stay-at-home dad. I mean I've released a few books before that have helped pay the bills, but I don't have a normal job. I like staying at home and taking care of my family."

Kris joined by saying, "That's just how he is. I've tried to get him out of the house plenty of times, but I feel like home is his safe haven."

Junmyeon agreed. "It is. But maybe I'll finally have a reason to leave."

"You can come over here anytime," said Kibum. "I can show you a fun time even while being pregnant."

"I'll be looking forward to it."

As the adults got to know each other, the kids were upstairs in Jongin's room sitting on the floor in a semi-circle getting to know each other as well. 

"So Sehun," said Jongin, "do you like to dance?"

"I love to dance. It's my favorite hobby."

"Well you would love my school. There's an after school dance club that's really fun! You should join. I'm in it and everyone in it is really nice. You just have to get your parents to sign you up."

"It wouldn't be too late? I mean it's kind of late in the school year."

"No, it's never too late. Anyone can join anytime because we're not actually a team. We just meet up and dance. Simple as that. You would have a blast."

Sehun nodded and smile. "Ok. I'll talk to my parents about it."

"Do you dance," Jongin asked Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo's eyes widened and cheeks flushed as the attention was put on him. 

Sehun answered for him. "No, he doesn't. Kyungsoo's more of a singer. But I've seen him dance before and he's really good."

Taemin piped up. "You're a singer? That's cool. I sing sometimes, but I like dancing more." Kyungsoo nodded in acknowledgment. Taemin grinned, "You're really shy aren't you?"

Sehun answered for him again. "Yes, he is. My parents said he has social anxiety, or something fancy like that. I just know it means that he's awkward with people. He really only talks to me and my parents."

"Well, you can talk to us too," said Taemin. "We're your friends now."

Jongin agreed. "Yeah. We're nice people too! Well, maybe not to each other, but we'll definitely be nice to you."

Taemin smacked his lips and pushed Jongin's head to the side. "Don't say stuff like that! He'll hate us if he thinks we always fight!"

"But we do always fight. We're fighting right now!"

"Because of you!"

Kyungsoo couldn't help but let out a little chuckle as he watched the brothers quarrel. Though it takes him quite awhile to warm up to people, he was quickly becoming fans of Taemin and Jongin. He'd never met anyone like the two. All he'd ever known was his little brother and his parents. He never felt comfortable venturing out to finding new friends. But with his brother next to him, he was beginning to feel comfortable around Taemin and Jongin. 

Kyungsoo spoke up softly, barely being heard. "I sang at our church a lot in China."

Taemin and Jongin quickly stopped bickering after realizing Kyungsoo had finally spoken. Jongin said, "That's cool. I wish I could sing. Could you teach me?"

Before Kyungsoo could answer, Taemin gave Jongin a snarky reply, "Jongin, I don't think the lord himself could teach you, and he works miracles!"The 

"Shut up, Taemin!" Kyungsoo and Sehun chuckled at the boys. 

Taemin turned to Sehun, "You guys are lucky you don't have to deal with this. Wait a minute. Do you guys even fight?"

Sehun replied, "Not really. I mean sometimes we get on each other's nerves, but we don't really argue."

Jongin whined, "Can we trade brothers?"

"Jongin, shut up. I'm the best brother there is."

"Oh yeah? Then how come we fight all the time?"

"Because I'm your big brother. It's my job to make your life miserable."

"Apparently not. You don't see Kyungsoo making Sehun's life miserable."

"Maybe because Sehun's not as annoying as you."

Jongin gasped, "You take that back."

"Nope! Anyway, Kyungsoo. I can show you around the school on Monday. It's a nice school. Of course you have your occasional jerks, but there are more nice people than jerks." Kyungsoo nodded. 

Sehun asked Jongin. "What about our school? What's it like?"

Jongin shrugged. "It's ok. Nothing too fancy. The teachers are nice. I think you'd like it, especially if you join dance with me."

"Sweet."

"Yes. They'll be nothing to worry about."

Taemin commented. "I hope our parents become best friends. Then we can see each other all the time."

Sehun agreed. "That would be awesome."

 

After spending more time talking about whatever kids talk about, the parents came in the room announcing that it was time for Sehun and Kyungsoo to leave. 

"Did you guys have fun," Junmyeon asked his children. 

Sehun nodded. "Yes. Kyungsoo even laughed!"

Junmyeon gave a heartwarming smile and hugged Kyungsoo. "That's great to hear, sweetheart."

Everyone walked downstairs to the front door. They hadn't noticed it, but they talked the whole afternoon with the Wu family. By time it was time to leave, the sun was setting and it was time to start on dinner. 

As they all stood by the front door, Kibum spoke, "Thank you guys so much for stopping by. I really enjoyed your company."

Junmyeon smiled politely. "No, thank you for having us. I wasn't expecting to be here all afternoon, but I'm glad it happened."

"So am I. Your family is so precious."

Kris responded, "So is yours. I'm also happy that my kids and your kids have gotten along so well. You have no idea how appreciative we are."

Minho commented, "Well, feel free to stop by anytime. We don't mind."

With that, the family said their final goodbyes and left the Choi residence. After closing and locking the door, Kibum turned to look at his family with a wide smile. "I like them."

"Me too," said Jongin. "Can they come over again tomorrow?"

"I don't know, baby. It all depends on if they're busy. How did you two like Kyungsoo and Sehun?"

Taemin answers, "They're both nice. Kyungsoo's a little shy and quiet, but I like him."

Jongin jumped in, "I like him too. And Sehun said he'll ask his parents if he could join the dance club!"

Minho replied, "Sehun's a dancer?"

Jongin nodded. "And Kyungsoo sings."

Kibum interjected. "Wow, what talented kids. I just want you guys to make them feel welcomed, especially Kyungsoo. He's a shy boy, but Taemin, I know you can bring him out of his shell."

Taemin said confidently, "Of course!"

They ate dinner that night with an aura of excitement around them. They had neighbors they liked, but not anyone like the Wu's. Kibum felt attached to the family already, especially after the bonding session they had in the living room. He was happy to see that his kids got along so well with Sehun and Kyungsoo as well. He was even happy that Minho finally had a friend who lived close by. 

They may have just moved in, but the Wu's were already an extended family. 

 


 

So I know it's been foreverrrr since I've updated. A lot has happened. I got a job, transferred colleges, and I'm still not sure what I'm doing with my life. I had a massive writer's block on my stories. But it's all good. Hopefully this update explains to you that I'm not abandoning the story. I just can't force myself to update, even if it takes months to update. 

On a lighter note, I plan on doing time skips because I have more ideas for this story with the kids being older. Let me know if you're ok with that. Also, we have new characters! How do you like them?

 

Anyway, please leave a comment. ^.~