Awaiting Love

Our Journey Begins Here


KBS News - "Good news for the Chois. It has been confirmed that Choi Minho and his husband are expecting-"

Showbiz Korea - "Choi Kibum is pregnant-"

Arirang News - "The pregnancy that's created a buzz is Choi Kibum's pregnancy-"

Entertainment Weekly - "Soccer star, Choi Minho, and his husband, Choi Kibum, have now confirmed that they are expecting a baby. We wish them the best of luck."

I flipped through the news channels hoping to find one that was playing actual news instead of gossip. It's been three days since Minho slipped up during an interview and let the world know of our little bun in the oven. It's not like I tried to hide it, but I didn't really want to advertise it to the whole world.

Ever since our marriage, Minho and I have tried our best to live a lowkey life. It just made things easier for the kids and ourselves. I knew that once my pregnancy hit the news, we would be the main topic of discussion......again. I'm not upset at Minho though. Now at four months of pregnancy, this secret was bound to be exposed.

I sighed as I shut off the tv and sat in silence in the living room. It's been like this for the past two weeks. Complete silence unless the boys felt like messing with me. Sadly, they're at their friend's house in the neighborhood, so they're not here to fill the silence.

Minho's at a soccer training camp five hours away with his team, which leaves me a lonely husband until he gets back. He's been gone for about 3 weeks so far and I don't know if I can go any longer without him. I just really miss him. I want him here every step of the way as my pregnancy develops. My emotions aren't helping me at all as I cope with the absence of my husband.

We try to find time to text and Skype, which I'm thankful for, but he's usually too busy to do those things. Plus, nothing beats having physical contact. Maybe that's what I miss the most - the intimacy. I miss his long comfy hugs, kisses, and the way he caresses my face as he looks at me like I'm the only person that matters in his life. I know I may be rambling here, but I've learned to become really dependent on Minho. Now with this baby, I'm going to need him the most.

I subconsciously rubbed my slightly visible baby bump as I thought of my family. The boys were getting older, work was getting more stressful, and life didn't show any signs up stopping. I wasn't sure if I could keep up with a baby and my new life, but I surely would try. I have no choice. This baby is a sign of hope and a symbolism of me and Minho's unity. I can't wait for my precious angel to get here.

At that moment, my cell phone rang, revealing to be my dad. "Hey, appa," I answered not too excitedly.

"Hey, son! How are you?"

I shrugged even though he couldn't see me. "I'm fine, I guess."

"You don't sound like it. Y'know, being stressed or sad isn't good for the baby."

I rolled my eyes as I agreed, "I know, Appa. I just miss Minho. He's been gone for so long, I'm starting to get used to his absence. I want him here with me."

"Don't feel like that, Kibum. Sometimes distance is good for a couple."

"Yeah, but not when the couple involves a pregnant spouse."

"Son, as your father, I just want you to be happy. You know this right?"

"Yeah..."

"How about you come over today? You and the boys. It'll be fun. Plus, I haven't seen you all in awhile."

That was true. The last time I saw my parents and friends was when I announced my pregnancy to everyone, and that was almost two months ago. It wasn't my intention to disappear, but life has certainly been one hell of a roller coaster ride for me.

"I know. Sorry about that. I guess since I've been working more at home lately I haven't really had a reason to travel to Seoul, but maybe you're right. I haven't been around my family and friends in awhile. Maybe it'll get me out of my funk."

"I hope so. Your mother has been worried about you."

I giggled just imagining how she may have nagged my father to death about my well-being. "Please tell her not to worry. I'm fine. Anyway, the boys are at a friend's house now. Once I pick them up, we'll be on our way over there."

He was quiet for a few seconds before asking, "Should you be driving in your condition?"

I groaned, "Appa, I'm pretty sure I can handle sitting being the wheel for an hour or so."

"Just making sure. See you when you get here, son."

"Bye, Appa."

Once hanging up the phone, I let out a long sigh. Things were so much more easier when Minho was here. I never realized how fortunate I was to have him doing most of the duties around the house such as picking the boys up from school or driving out of town. As the symptoms of my pregnancy strengthen, daily activities are harder to accomplish.

I called Mrs. Lee, the mother of one of Taemin and Jongin's close friends, and asked if she would mind bringing the boys home. I let out a sigh of relief when she said yes.

As I waited for the boys to get home, I packed some overnight bags and snacks for the road. I had a feeling my parents would try to convince us to spend the night. That was fine by me. I loved hanging out with my parents and children. The only piece of the puzzle that was missing was Minho.

I decided to give him a call since I was thinking of him so much. I excitedly held the phone as it rang only to be disappointed.

"Kibum?"

A smile crept onto my face. "I miss you." I could just imagine the grin that spread across his face.

"I miss you too, baby, but I can't talk right now. We're in a team meeting then we have to go back on the field." Just great.

"Oh. Ok." I tried my best not to cry at that moment.

I heard him sigh before answering. "I'm really sorry, Key. I love you and I'll call later. Ok?"

I smiled sadly. "Yeah, sure. I love you too. Bye."

I closed my eyes and sighed slowly as a single tear escaped down my cheek. I quickly wiped it away reminding myself that Minho would be home soon. I shouldn't be crying, but I couldn't help my emotions at times.

Thankfully before I could start breaking down, I heard the front door open and the boys ran into the living room.

"Hey, umma," they both said as they ran pass me.

"Come back!" I yelled after them and chuckled as they crept their way back into the living room. "You're not in trouble so please stop looking like your hand's caught in a cookie jar."

Jongin asked, "Then what did you need us for?"

"We're going over your grandma and grandpa's house."

Both of their brows raised excitedly. It always warmed my heart to know that they're so close to my parents. Taemin replied, "Yes! We haven't seen them in forever. When are we going?"

"We can go now. I've already packed your bags and snacks."

The boys looked at each other as they said in unison, "Awesome!"

I chuckled. "I'm glad you think so. Let's go. You passed your bags at the front door."

At that, they took off at the speed of light. I swear, those boys are going to be track stars one day. No matter how many times I tell them to stop running in the house, my pleas go unheard.

We packed our backs into the truck and were on our way to my parents' house. I was happy that I could spend this time with my kids because it prevented me from drifting off into my depressing thoughts.

"Umma," said Taemin. "When is Dad coming back?" Wow. I was trying to avoid this.

Jongin joined, "Yeah. I know he's at camp, but I miss him."

I smiled sadly to myself as I focused on the road. "I miss him too, sweetie. I'm not sure when he comes back, but he told me soon."

"I hope so," said Taemin, "It's so boring without him being home. No offense to you, Umma, but you're not that entertaining."

I furrowed my brows as Taemin voiced his opinion on how boring I am. Lately, he's been a bit more vocal about his opinions on things and even more snippy with his brother. You have no idea how many arguments I've walked in on between them. I surely hope puberty is not right around the corner for Taemin. Maybe this is just a passing phase. I can't handle an angst-driven hormonal child right now, especially with how unbalanced my hormones are at the moment.

"I beg to differ. Jongin seems to think I'm plenty of fun. Right, baby?" I glanced at him quickly in the rear view mirror before focusing on the road again.

"Of course! You and Dad both are plenty of fun."

I heard Taemin smack his teeth. "He's just a kiss-up."

"No I'm not," Jongin argued.

"You so are! You're such a momma's boy, it's ridiculous."

"No I'm not, Tae! Stop saying that."

I took a deep breathe to calm my nerves before I lost it. "Taemin, stop messing with your brother. Jongin, there's no problem with being Umma's favorite," I teased.

Taemin playfully gasped. "I thought you're not suppose to have favorites. I'm so hurt."

I snickered, "Well, you have your favorite parent so it's only fair that I have my favorite child."

"Umma, I was just kidding. I love you and Dad just the same!"

"I love you too, honey."

"How's the baby, Umma," asked Jongin.

"The baby's doing great. I'm very happy about that. I just hope that you two become the best big brothers this child could ever ask for."

"Don't worry, Umma. I'll be a better big brother than Taemin."

"What is that supposed to mean?" Taemin replied with force. "I'll obviously be a better big brother than you because I'm already a big brother. I've had practice."

"Sure. You may be a big brother, but you treat me so horribly! I'm sure my little brother or sister would love me more because I know how it feels to be the youngest."

"I do not treat you horribly. You just do a lot of things that get on my nerves! You just have no idea how hard being a big brother is."

"Pfffft! It can't be as bad as always being a punching bag!"

10....9...8...7

I counted silently to myself as I tried to remain calm. I love my boys to death, but sometimes, they can make me want to jump out of a window. I don't know why they've been fighting so much lately. Maybe it's because they've gotten accustomed to being apart since they go to separate schools or maybe it's because they're getting older. Whatever the reason is they need to fix it. Maybe if Minho was here, it wouldn't bother me as much, but since I'm alone, I really feel like I'm losing my sanity.

"Ow!!!" I was pulled out of my thoughts when I heard Taemin and Jongin hitting each other with their hands.

I couldn't take it anymore. "Hey!" I got their attention. "If you two don't stop right now, I swear I will turn this car around and you two will be grounded for a month! Do you understand?!"

Both of them looked down solemnly as they said in unison, "Neh, Umma."

I sighed. "Good. Now please don't act like this when we get to your grandparents' house. I don't have time to deal with this and I'm sure they wouldn't want to neither."

"Sorry, Taemin," said Jongin.

"Sorry, Jongin," Taemin replied.

After that, the ride was a bit more pleasant. The boys started talking about some random things as if they didn't just get into an argument. Fine by me. I hate when my boys fight. Life is so much more peaceful when they're getting along.

Later that evening, we finally reached my parents' house. I was so ready to see them and so were the boys. They were basically jumping out of their seats as I rolled to a stop.

"Come get your bags out of the trunk," I yelled after them before they ran to the front door. They groaned as they turned around to get their bags.

I unlocked the door and got out as well to get my bags. At that moment, I noticed my parents opening the front door and hugging my enthusiastic kids. I smiled to myself as I watched from afar at the grandchildren-grandparents bond.

My mom was first to acknowledge my presence by letting go of hugging Jongin and rushing towards me as she said, "Oh, Kibum! I've missed you so much, sweetie." She engulfed me into a large hug.

I wrapped my arms slowly around her as I took in her motherly scent that I missed. "I missed you too, Umma."

She pulled away to look at me. "It's been too long. What happened to you keeping in touch?"

"I'm sorry. I've just been so busy with work and the children. Also with-"

My dad interrupted as he walked closer to us."My new grandson!"

I chuckled and hugged my dad. "Hey. I missed you, Appa."

He pulled away and patted my shoulder. "I missed you too. You, my grandsons," he placed a gentle hand on my stomach, " and my new grandson."

I scoffed, "What makes you think I'm having another boy? It could be a girl."

He snickered as if it was the most absurd thing ever thought of. "Because you're a Kim, and we Kims are great at making boys. It's evident. I mean me and your mother had you, our only son. Then you and Jonghyun not only had one son, but two! If that's not enough evidence, I don't know what is. So you're having a boy."

My mom and I had the same reaction, which was to dramatically roll our eyes. She smacked his chest and said, "That's nonsense! Being a Kim has nothing to do with the ability to produce boys."

"Right," I agreed. "And for the record, I'm a Choi now. Things are different."

My dad chuckled before saying, "Choi or not, you're still a Kim in there," he pointed to my heart.

I sighed, "I guess you're right, but I could still have a girl though."

My mom whined playfully, "I want a granddaughter! No offense to Jongin and Taemin because they are angelic grandchildren, but I want a little girl running around here who I can spoil with tea parties and play dress-up with."

"Darling," my dad said lovingly as he placed a hand on her shoulder, "That sounds nice and all, but it's a wasted dream. Kibum's going to continue the family tradition and produce a boy."

"It's going to be a girl."

"It's going to be a boy."

I watched in awe as my parents bickered like little children over the of my baby. As weird as it seemed, I actually missed our family moments like this. Dad always found ways to strike up an interesting conversation while my mom usually tried to argue some reason into his head. Then they would try to get me involved, but I'm staying as far away as possible from this conflict.

I cleared my throat to get their attention. "Umma, Appa, I'm thankful that you guys care about my baby already even though it's not here yet, but I believe the of the baby shouldn't matter. It'll be loved either way and I know your grandparent instincts will kick in and you'll forget all about this petty argument you two are having."

Dad sighed as he placed an arm around my mom's waist. "He's right. I know for a fact that we'll love that baby whether it's a boy or a girl. However, I'm still betting on a boy."

I rolled my eyes and my mother smiled, probably doing so to just end the conversation because my dad could go all night.

We walked into the house and I helped my mom prepare to cook dinner. I wanted to help her with cooking the whole meal, but she insisted that I stay off of my feet. So I sat on the living room couch watching my dad and the boys play a card game as they listened to one of my dad's "when-I-was-your-age" stories.

"When I was your age, I used these same cards to make lots of money."

I raised a brow as I eavesdropped. The boys said in equal excitement, "Really, grandpa?!"

"Oh, yes! I was the coolest thing on the playground. No one could beat me. I had all the girls giving me their attention. Just to let you in on a little secret," he leaned in and whispered, "Your grandma was one of them."

Taemin and Jongin looked at my dad with admiration. I couldn't help rolling my eyes. "Appa, please stop trying to teach my kids to gamble."

He held his hands up in surrender. "Hey, it's not gambling. I'm just teaching them how to invest."

"You're teaching them how to go bankrupt."

"Umma," said Jongin, "I want to make a lot of money like grandpa."

"Me too," Taemin joined. "I would be the coolest kid at school!"

I gave my dad a pointed look causing him to say, "Boys, your Umma's right. Gambling isn't something you should be getting into."

The boys groaned as I said, "Thanks, Appa." There's no way I'm having my children form bad habits such as gambling at an early age.

Just then, the doorbell rang. "Oh, that must be the pizza," said my dad.

"Why would there be pizza if Umma is cooking?"

"Well, it's for the boys. It'll take awhile for the food to be done so I decided to order a small pizza for them."

I furrowed my brows in confusion as he left the living room to get the door. "Oh, ok?" I looked at Taemin and Jongin. "Did you two ask for pizza?"

They both shook their heads, "No."

Then I heard a voice that I had been longing for. A voice I thought I wouldn't hear for much longer. "Did anyone order pizza?"

I slowly lifted my head to confirm the owner of that voice, the owner already being confirmed when the boys excitedly screamed, "Dad!!!"

I looked up to see my husband, Choi Minho, being tackled by my boys' hugs, no longer having to crouch due to Taemin and Jongin's growth in height, as he displayed a wide beautiful smile on his face.

I slowly got off the couch and walked towards them. This didn't feel real. Minho had been gone for so long, I was used to not seeing him around. I was used to being disappointed everyday that I came home to an empty home. I was used to Taemin and Jongin constantly asking when their Dad would come home, when they would see him again. Now, the answer to all of our problems was here. The love of my life was finally here to save me from my lonesome world and to love me.

My voice wavered as I called weakly, "Minho?"

Tears prickled to my eyes as I saw that handsome face look up to me and give the most gentle smile. He stood up from the boys and walked towards me. Right as he was upon me, I quickly wrapped my eyes around his shoulders and cried silently into the side of his neck.

He reciprocated my actions by wrapping his strong, comfy, protective arms around my waist. "I missed you so much, Kibum. You have no idea." He pulled back and wiped my tears that were quickly replaced. He smiled lightly, "Why are you crying?"

I answered by burying my face back into his neck and crying as I said, "You should've told me you were coming."

He rubbed my back comfortingly. "I wanted it to be a surprise. Are you surprised? Are you happy?"

I slowly pulled my head up and wiped my tears as I nodded. "I'm very happy. I really missed you, Minho. Please, never leave me for as long as you did. I need you here."

He placed his hands on my cheeks to caress them as he said, "Shh. I'm here now. No matter how long I'm gone or where I am, I'm still here for you and I always will be. I love you, baby. You and our future baby. Now that I'm here, let's celebrate being a family."

He gave me a gentle kiss that had me melting upon contact. It had been so long since I felt those lips on mine. As I've said before, I was missing the intimacy me and Minho shared. He's always showed me affection and, in a way, I was addicted to it.

He tried to pull away, but I put more pressure on his lips letting him know I wasn't finished yet. My dad's forceful cough caused us to pull away, instead, opting to hold each other

"Sorry," Minho sheepishly apologized to my dad.

"No apologies necessary. I'm just happy to see my son finally out of the slump he's been in ever since you've been gone."

"Well, with your help I was able to get this done."

I interrupted, "Wait, you were in on it, Appa?"

My mom answered as she entered. "Well not just your  appa. Minho had called us earlier this morning saying his training camp ended yesterday. He was at his mom's house and wanted to drive into town today to surprise you and the kids. Of course your father and I had to help out."

I looked at Minho before chuckling. "I guess that's why there's no pizza. I was kind of looking forward to that." Everyone chuckled and giggled at my comment. With the way my cravings are, I could eat two  boxes of pizza and still have room for my mom's dinner.

"Dad," said Taemin, "Umma said Jongin's his favorite. Am I your favorite?" Oh great. I thought we left this in the car.

Minho looked at me for answers and I just shrugged. He turned to Taemin. "I love you and Jongin equally and so does your umma. You should know this. Come here." He let me go to hug Taemin. "I love you so much. You, your brother, and your new sibling that'll be here soon enough."

"I love you too, Dad."

For the rest of the evening and throughout dinner, I was attached at Minho's side. Even through my parents' continuous bickering over the of the baby, the boys trying to convince me to let them gamble, and my dad's not-so-sly questions on the insights of what goes on in his favorite soccer team's training camp, I stayed snuggled onto Minho like a moth drawn to a flame. Now that he was here, there was no way that I wanted to let go.

After bringing in his bags from the car and bringing blankets into the living room, we all decided to have a movie night as a family. My parents offered to sleep on the floor with the boys, leaving the couch to me and Minho mainly due to my pregnancy. I guess that's the upside on being pregnant. I loved the special treatment. No one would want to be known as the guy that made a pregnant person sleep on the floor.

Unsurprisingly, my parents were the first to doze off and the boys followed soon after. That left me and Minho open to voicing our thoughts to one another.

As I was dozing off, I was awakened by the feeling of something on my stomach. I looked down and saw my shirt slightly lifted exposing the skin of my small baby bump. Minho's soft lips grazed my stomach as he placed light kisses on it before pulling my shirt down to look up at me.

"You look so beautiful," he whispered causing me to blush.

"Oh, stop it. I'm still mad that you didn't tell me sooner that you were coming. I would've dressed nicer for you and put on a little makeup."

He scooted up closer to me so that I was laying on his chest. "Stop speaking nonsense, Kibum. You're gorgeous. You don't need any makeup."

"But my face is becoming rounder and I have bags under my eyes. I don't want to look like a raccoon."

"Look at me." I looked up to meet his eyes. "You are the most beautiful person I have ever been blessed to lay my eyes on. I know it may sound cheesy, which I'm know for being, but it's absolutely true. I don't know what's wrong with your mirror, but when I look at you, I don't see any flaws. I see perfection that continues to become even more perfect as you develop in your pregnancy. So what if your cheeks are getting fuller. It gives me an excuse to squeeze them."

I scoffed playfully. "Please don't do that."

"All I'm trying to say is you're beautiful, you're y, and I hate it when you doubt yourself."

I abruptly changed topics, "Do you think it'll be a boy?"

Minho chuckled while answering, "If I went by your appa's word, I would say we're having a boy."

"Yeah, he's so headstrong."

"I guess that's where you get it from."

I smirked. "Yeah you're right. But what if it's a girl?"

"Well firstly, your appa would blame my Choi genes for not giving us a son. Second, I would love that baby just as I would love her if she were a boy. Kibum, the of the baby doesn't matter to me. As long as he or she is healthy and happy, I'll be a happy appa."

As he talked, I looked at him as if I were a smitten teen. Everyday, being with Minho is like falling in love with him all over again. Everything he says is from the heart and makes me so appreciative to have a man like him in my life.

I didn't notice I had started crying again until Minho brought it up. "Baby, why are you crying?"

I quickly wiped my tears away. "Oh it's nothing-" He grabbed my wrists to stop me from wiping my tears.

"Tell me."

I bit my lip to try to hold back more tears. "You mean so much to me. You have no idea how lonely and lost I was without you. When I was younger, I had vowed to never allow myself to get so attached to a person that I would lose myself when they were gone. Then you came and changed my whole life around for the better. All I can do is thank you and try everything I can to show you how much I love you. I love you, Minho."

He wore the biggest childish grin on his face, one that I would always love. "I love you too, Kibum. I thought of you, the boys, and the baby every night that I was at training camp. Every single night. Every time you called me in tears, I held myself together because I knew you needed me to be strong for you. But once I was alone to my own thoughts, I would always get emotional thinking about you. I'm so sorry that I left you, but I'm here now. I'll still have to travel to work everyday, but I'll be home every night with you. I love you."

He pulled me into a kiss that was more passionate than the first one we shared. It showed me how much we missed me, how much he cared for me.

As we both drifted off to sleep in each other's arms, I became increasingly optimistic about the future. I knew it wouldn't be easy. Life would get hard at times and there may be times where I just want to give up on everything. However, Minho's here now and we're a perfect duo.


Here we again! Another story that I'll try my best to update frequently. This first chapter was to get everyone warmed up to minkey again before jumping straight into the plot. I hope you all enjoyed and will stick with me until the end .  ^.~