Delivery

Our Journey Begins Here


 

8 months, 3 weeks

 

Despite the mild discomfort Kibum was experiencing, today was going to be an extremely important day filled with jitters and excitement, not only for Kibum, but for Minho. 

Today's Minho's first day working for Channel 5 as a sports commentator. This is a huge deal and a great opportunity for everyone to see Minho's true value to the world of sports. Although he's known for usually being calm and collected, Minho's been freaking out all morning before the drive to Seoul. Kibum could only do his best to calm his husband. 

"Babe," Kibum said as he wobbled over to Minho who was having trouble with his tie. He pushed Minho's hands away to fix the tie himself. "Relax. Isn't that what you always tell me?"

Minho nodded. "Yeah, but this is big, Kibum. I'm going to be on live tv. I haven't been in front of the camera in I don't know how long."

Kibum pecked Minho on the lips. "You'll do fine, ok? Especially since you're commentating on a sport you actually love and were apart of."

Minho sighed and placed his hands on Key's hips. "I guess you're right."

"Besides, that's why I'm coming with you. I can be your good luck charm."

"I still don't think that's a good idea. You heard what the doctor said yesterday. You're full term. You're due any day now and should limit traveling."

Key scoffed, "I've been stuck in this ing house for months. It feels like I'm on house arrest or something. So excuse me for wanting to see the world again."

Minho grinned before pecking his husband's cheek. "Come on, don't be like that. I'm just worried for the baby. What if you go into labor while we're driving, or worse yet, while we're at the station?"

"I won't though-"

"But how do you know?"

Kibum shrugged. "Mother's intuition I guess."

Minho sighed in defeat. He knew there was no need in fighting with Kibum when he was set in his ways. He just hoped for the best case scenarios today. 

Minho placed a hand lightly on Key's belly. "How is she?"

Kibum looked down and placed his hand on top on Minho's. "She's being a little rowdy this morning. Maybe she's just excited for her appa."

Minho chuckled. "How sweet. Well if you start to feel uncomfortable anytime during the drive, let me know so we can stop by the hospital. I don't want to risk anything."

"Ok, ok I get it. I'm just going for moral support. That's all, and since the boys will be over at the Wu's all day, maybe when we get home, we can take full advantage of the time we have together if you know what I mean," Kibum whispered seductively before pressing his lips against Minho's. 

The kiss carried on, arousing both partners. Once Minho began to feel himself become erect, he pulled away breathing heavily. He chuckled, "I would carry on, but I'm trying not to ruin my clothes today."

Kibum groaned into Minho's neck. "Come on. Let's get this day over with so can have some fun later."

The doctor had warned that at this stage in the pregnancy, Kibum would probably feel more aroused and hormonal than usual. Minho hadn't known that it would  be this intense. Kibum would try jumping his bones any chance he got, which wasn't a bad thing in Minho's eyes. It was definitely a change from the days where Kibum didn't want to be touched. However, on important days like this, it was inappropriate. 

After they were both done getting ready, Minho helped Kibum down the stairs and headed to the car. The drive to Seoul wasn't as bad as either of them thought it would be. The only thing Kibum complained about was his back aching, but that was normal for long drives. 

Once they pulled up to the station's building, they were bombarded with camera flashes from the paparazzi. 

Kibum sighed, "I've been at home for so long, I almost forgot the paparazzi existed. At least I put on makeup today."

Minho was directed to a secluded parking garage in the back of the building where there was no paparazzi in sight. After parking, he grabbed Kibum's hand. "Guess I'm really doing this. No turning back."

"No turning back," Kibum repeated. 

Minho helped Kibum out the car and walked them both to the front of the building. Sadly, that's also where the paparazzi would be. 

 

Welcome back, Choi! 

 

Good luck in there!

 

Kibum, how far along are you?!

 

Will Jonghyun be present at the birth?!

 

Will he be the godfather?!

 

's,' Kibum thought to himself as he and Minho got closer to the front. He was appreciative that there were some people shouting out supportive comments to his husband. However, hated the fact that he had to deal with people always asking questions about Jonghyun. It was a huge pet peeve of his. Not necessarily because the questions were about Jonghyun, but simply because he hates that he's continuously being linked to him. He feels like no one sees him as Kibum the individual, but Kibum — Jonghyun's ex. 

But he wasn't going to let anything ruin this day. Maybe he'd send a frustrated tweet out later, but right now, his husband was way more important than some paparazzi jerks. 

Once inside, Kibum jokingly asked, "Why are they always nicer to you?"

Minho kissed the pout off his lips, "Don't worry about it. Let's go." He took his hand before walking them to an elevator that would take them to the floor of the studio. 

Once there, they were bombarded with people left and right, some staff and crew congratulating Kibum on the pregnancy, others congratulating Minho on the new job. Out of all the people there, Minho wasn't expecting to see Jinki and a few of his old teammates. 

"Surprise!" Jinki said as he walked up to Kibum and Minho. 

Minho smiled brightly before hugging his former coach and teammates. "I had no idea any of you guys were coming!"

"Well, that's what surprises are, Choi." Then he looked at Kibum. "Wow, you still look stunning. Pregnancy suits you well."

Kibum grinned. "Thanks. It's probably just the makeup."

"No," Jinki insisted. "I've seen you without makeup before. You're just a natural beauty, Kibum. That’s why I’ll always say Minho's extremely lucky to have you."

Minho groaned playfully. "Ok, before you start flirting with my husband, we have to go so I can get ready. It was nice seeing you guys, really."

Minho and Kibum hugged everyone again, Jinki giving Kibum a hug that lasted longer than it should've, before they went to Minho's dressing room. 

Kibum chuckled as he sat on the couch. "He's still the same old Jinki, I see."

"Yeah. It never gets old."

"How are you feeling now that we're actually here, though?" Minho sat next to his husband, placing Kibum’s hand on his chest. "Wow, your heart's beating really fast. I'm surprised you're not sweating."

Minho sighed, "I'm just really nervous. What if something goes wrong-"

"You can't think like that, Minho. You just can't. It'll drive you crazy." 

Just then, there was a knock at the door before an assistant came in. "We're ready for you, Mr. Choi. The show starts in 15 minutes."

Minho nodded before getting up and helping Kibum off the couch. 

"Right this way." 

They followed the assistant to set, which had Minho in awe. It was everything he imagined it to be. The lights, the cameras, the background, etc. He couldn't believe that he was actually a part of something he grew up watching. 

Three of his new coworkers walked up to him with large smiles before embracing him and Kibum into hugs. "Hey! How great is it to finally meet the Choi Minho. Wow!"

Minho blushed. "It's actually an honor to meet you three. I've watched you guys commentate on soccer for years. It's just great to finally be a part of this."

"Well it's great to have you," said the lead commentator. "It's also nice to meet you too, Kibum. It's true when they say you're even more beautiful in person." 

Kibum was intrigued to know who were the people saying that so he could thank them over and over again. He felt very flattered. 

"Thank you," he said politely. "And please be very kind to my husband. He's very nervous-"

"Kibum," Minho said embarrassed. He didn't want people knowing how nervous he was. 

The lead commentator chuckled. "It's ok. I promise we'll be very kind to him."

The producer of the show shouted, "Everyone get in your places!"

As the other commentators walked to their seats in front of the cameras, Kibum turned to Minho to give him a small pep talk. 

"You'll do great, honey. Just remember to relax and I'm here. Everything's going to be alright, ok?"

Minho nodded and pecked Kibum on the lips before telling him he loved him. He made sure someone brought Kibum a chair to sit in so he wouldn't have to stand up the entire time. 

 

"3....2.....1...."

 

"Welcome to Sports News on Channel 5 where we talk about anything and everything involving soccer. Today, we're joined by a new face. Many of you may know him on the field as Charisma, but today, I am pleased to introduce the well-respected Choi Minho. It's great having you here."

"Thanks for having me. I really look forward to working with you all."

Kibum couldn't help but smile as Minho seemed to fit right into his element. He talked almost animatedly when it came to the sport he loved. Kibum didn't know if he was allowed to, but he snapped a quick photo of Minho and posted it on instagram with the caption 'Proud of my husband ❤️ '. 

 

An hour into the show, Kibum began to feel discomfort again. His baby girl was being quite active, but he was used to it by now. However, the discomfort wouldn't stop. He shifted in his chair causing an assistant to ask if he was ok. He said he was fine and tried to pull himself together. Just then, he took in a sharp breath and held his stomach. He insisted that it was just cramps. There was no way he was going to let anything ruin this day for Minho.  

A few minutes went by without Kibum experiencing pain, so he thought he was fine. That's until he let out a loud grunt as he stood up from the chair grabbing his stomach. 

"Are you ok, Mr. Choi," the assistant asked again with worry on her face. 

"I'll be fine-" before he could finish the sentence, he let out a shocked intake of breath as he felt liquid trickle down his legs. He looked down and immediately knew that his water broke. 

The show was on commercial break when Minho heard the commotion. He quickly got up and headed over to Kibum noticing  his pants were wet. He knew what was happening. 

"Kibum, we have to get you to the hospital now."

"No. You stay here. You have like five more hours to be here. I'll be ok-"

"Are you crazy? I'm not missing the birth of my child." He turned to apologize to the crew and say he needed to leave, but the producer beat him to it. 

"It's ok," he said with a comforting smile. "Family is more important. Focus on getting your husband to the hospital. We’ll announce the good news when we return from commercial break. Everyone here understands, now go."

Minho nodded and grabbed Kibum's hand to guide him to the elevator. 

"Ah!" Kibum let out a painful shout as a contraction hit him sooner than he expected.

"Come on, baby," Minho said gently placing his other hand on Key’s lower back. "I got you."

They eventually made it to the elevator with Kibum's hand still tightly wrapped around Minho's. "I'm so sorry," he said with a shaky voice as the elevator took them to the parking garage. "I ruined your first day."

Before Minho could respond, Kibum let out a shout as another wave of contractions came. Minho wrapped an arm around Key's shoulder saying, "Kibum, there's no need to apologize. I don't care about anything but you right now. You and our baby girl. Now stop worrying, ok? You need as least stress on you as possible.” Minho was trying to remain calm for Kibum’s sake, but he was freaking out on the inside.

 

Their baby girl was here and they hadn’t even named her yet. However, now’s not the time to worry about that. Kibum was experiencing painful contractions that weren’t too close in time, but he knew they had to get to a hospital quickly before the contractions would start hitting him back to back. 

When the elevator made it to the car garage, Minho quickly rushed Kibum to the passenger side before going over to the driver’s side. 

“Remember to breathe, Kibum. Even breaths, ok?”

Kibum nodded as he placed a hand on his stomach when another sharp pain shot through him. Minho put on Kibum’s seatbelt before rushing out of the car garage. He called the nearest hospital to let them know his husband was going into labor and they’re on their way. Lucky for him, the station was only fifteen minutes away from the closest hospital. 

Kibum was focused on his breathing techniques as they neared the hospital. He felt Minho’s hand latch onto his to comfort him. Another contraction came causing him to groan and grip Minho’s hand tightly. 

Minho brought Kibum’s hand to his lips. “It’s gonna be ok. We’re almost there, baby. Hang in there for me.”

Kibum could only nod. He hadn’t expected for his contractions to start so soon after his water broke. When he gave birth to Taemin and Jongin, he had ample amount of time to get to the hospital before the contractions began. He guessed the saying was true when people say every pregnancy is different. 

 

 

At the Wu residence, Taemin and Jongin were busy watching movies in the living room with Kyungsoo and Sehun. In the short time that the kids have known each other, they’ve grown very close to one another. Jongin, in particular, is very fond of Kyungsoo. He thinks he’s so adorable, even though Kyungsoo is older than him. Maybe that’s why he was so drawn to him. The fact the Kyungsoo looked so young, but acted so mature blew his mind. Regardless of age, he knew both Kyungsoo and Sehun were his best friends. 

Same goes for Taemin. Sehun and Taemin talked a lot about dancing. They both really enjoyed the art form. Although Jongin also dances, he’s usually too engrossed in Kyungsoo to ever join Sehun and Taemin’s conversations. Taemin didn’t mind though since, in his own words, Jongin‘s been less annoying lately. 

As the movie was ending, the boys heard a startling shriek from the kitchen. Junmyeon came running into the living room followed by a confused Kris. 

“What’s the problem?” Kris asked in Chinese as Junmyeon stared at his phone with an ecstatic grin. 

Junmyeon answered in Korean so the boys could understand him. “I got a text from Minho saying Kibum’s going into labor! He’s having the baby!”

Both Taemin and Jongin’s eyes lit up with before they started hopping up and down in excitement. Their sister was here! 

“Can we go see her?!” Taemin asked. Jongin asked the same question in agreement. 

Junmyeon answered as he read another text, “Minho says we should be on our way now if we want to come in time. The doctors expect it to be a short delivery.”

“Well what are we waiting for? Let’s go, kids,” said Kris as he rounded up everyone to head to the car. 

 

 

 

Minho was sure he was going to have a panic attack. When the doctors handed him some scrubs and said to prepare for a quick delivery, the situation felt surreal. He was prepared to be at the hospital for at least eight hours or so before the baby was born. However, he did recall the doctor saying pregnancies are unpredictable. Some people have had to endure labors as long as 21 hours while others have only lasted 30 minutes. For Kibum, he’s expected to be due within the next two hours, and it really scares Minho. 

Of course he’s happy and excited to finally be a biological dad. On the other hand, things were happening so fast he’s barely had time to process it. Even then, Minho decided this wasn’t about him. It’s about Kibum and their baby girl. He just hoped both came out of the situation healthy. 

After changing into the scrubs the doctor provided, Minho emerged into the delivery room to see Kibum turned sideways with his back facing him. He could hear whimpering as he noticed Kibum’s shoulders trembling. He walked over slowly to him before placing hand on his shoulder. “Hey, are you ok?”

Kibum turned around slowly with a tear-streaked faced. He sniffed, “It hurts.”

The sight alone broke Minho’s heart. He wiped Kibum’s tears as he whispered, “Its going to be ok. The doctor said you’re two centimeters away from being allowed epidural. They’re waiting for you to reach at least five centimeters in dilation.”

He kissed Kibum’s hand as another shout of pain came. Just then, the doctor and nurses came in to check how far along Kibum was this time. Luckily for him, he’d reached five centimeters in dilation and was able to get the epidural. 

 

Now, it was a waiting game. 

 

Although Kibum still experienced pains, they weren’t as intense as before. He and Minho were holding hands as Minho sat in a chair by the hospital bed. 

 

An hour and a half later, the hallway outside of Kibum’s delivery room was packed with friends and family of both spouses as the delivery was nearing. Hearing the commotion outside made Kibum feel genuinely content knowing that all the people he loved were here to welcome their little girl into the world. 

The only person he allowed to be in the delivery room while giving birth was Minho because he wanted the both of them to share the moment of childbirth together. Kibum’s contractions were grueling now as the delivery approached. 

“Kibum,” said the doctor with a warm smile. “You’re ten centimeters now, so it seems your daughter is ready to come out.” Kibum’s heart dropped as his anxiety picked up. He just hoped everything would go ok. “Minho, I would like for you to give as much support to your husband as you can. Although it’s a c-section, this process can be just as stressful for pregnant spouses.” 

Minho nodded and grabbed Kibum’s hand. He kissed his cheek and whispered that he loved him. 

Minho thought he would have to get surgery on his hand with the way Kibum was gripping it. The doctors wanted the baby in a certain position before beginning the c-section. So Kibum spent a few minutes having to push. After awhile, the doctors told him to stop so they could begin the c-section. They offered for Minho to view it, but he kindly declined. He didn’t feel like passing out before seeing his daughter. 

 

“You’re doing so well, baby,” Minho whispered words of encouragement. Kibum’s face was scrunched in pain the whole time. Minho just wished he could take the pain away. “I’m really proud of you, Kibum. I love you so much.”

Kibum gave a faint smile. “I love you too.”

 

Then, a faint cry was heard. 

 

“It’s a healthy baby girl! Congratulations!”

Kibum let out relieved tears and smiled brightly upon hearing his baby. The doctors quickly wiped off excess blood before handing the weeping baby to him. “Awww, baby. Shhh, it’s ok. Umma’s here.” He looked up at Minho who’s eyes were sparkling from unshed tears. “Do you want to hold her?”

 

Minho reached down cradled her into his arms. “Oh my god,” he whispered in disbelief. He was an actual dad. This was his actual child. “She’s amazing. Hey little girl. I’m your appa.” He was answered with more cries from the newborn, but it was a beautiful moment for him. Sadly, his moment was cut short when the nurses ushered the baby off to clean her properly check for other health-related things. Minho gave her up very reluctantly. 

While the doctor was busy stitching up Kibum, Minho and Kibum looked at each other with tears in their eyes. Minho leaned down and embraced Kibum carefully into a hug. He thanked him over and over again for giving him something so precious. He felt like a new man, as cliché as it sounded. They brought another Choi into this world, one that he vowed to protect for the rest of his life. 

Kibum was just as thankful for this moment. Although this was his third child, childbirth was still a very special moment for him. That feeling he got when he held Taemin and Jongin for the first time was the same feeling he experienced when he held his daughter for the first time. 

Daughter. He’d have to get used to that. 

Moments later, their little girl was brought back into the room wrapped in a pink blanket with a pink cap on her head. She was placed gently into Kibum’s arms before he and Minho were allowed sometime alone with her. 

“What should we name her?” Minho asked as he placed a finger in the baby’s hand. He almost melted in a puddle when she gripped his finger in her hand. 

Kibum shrugged pulling the cap lower on her head. “I don’t know. What do you think?”

Minho took a good look at his daughter before saying the first thing that came to his head. “Soojung. Choi Soojung.”

Kibum looked up at Minho with a smile before returning his gaze to his daughter. “Soojung. I like it.”

 

They both spent a few moments in silence just staring at little Soojung before Minho whispered. “She’s so beautiful.” He reaches out to hold her, and Kibum handed her over. “And she’s so tiny. I love her already,” he said with his voice cracking at the end. 

It was such a touching moment for Kibum to see how much this moment meant to Minho. The amount of love and adoration that shined in Minho’s eyes as he looked down at Soojung was astounding. 

Their moment of solace was ruined however when the voices of Taemin and Jongin were heard on the other side of the door. 

“Can we go in now, Nana,” asked Jongin. 

“Yeah,” said Taemin. “I want to see my sister now.”

Kibum’s mom answered the two boys, “You have to wait, ok? I know you’re excited, but it’s not time yet.” The boys groaned in unison. 

Kibum and Minho chuckled. “Minho, can you let the nurses know I’m ready for visitors now?” Minho nodded before handing Soojung back to Kibum. 

 

When friends and family were able to come in, Minho and Kibum were met with lots of love and congrats. Kibum was pleasantly surprised to see Kris and Junmyeon there. Even if they’d just met each other not too long ago, they were close friends. 

The boys insisted on holding Soojung, but Minho told them they couldn’t yet. 

“She’s so small,” Taemin said on the side of the hospital bed as Kibum held the baby. “Was I this small when I was born, umma?”

“Definitely, but you were very healthy.”

Jongin asked, “What about me?”

“Well, you were a little chunkier, but still small.”

“And healthy?”

“Very very healthy.”

Minho’s mom smiled at the boys before saying, “You two are going to be great big brothers to Soojung.”

“I’m going to be better than him,” Taemin said pointedly. 

Jongin smacked his lips, “No you won’t!”

“Boys,” said Minho. “Not here. And you can’t be so loud around Soojung. She’s sensitive to sound. Now, I want the two of you to be good big brothers and do everything you can to help out with Soojung, ok?” 

“Ok,” Taemin and Jongin said together. 

 

It was a long night before Minho and Kibum were left alone again. The boys were off with Jonghyun, and the Wu’s drove back home with their boys. Kibum and Minho’s parents left last as they were still in awe at how cute and adorable their granddaughter was. Kibum promised to visit them with Soojung before he was allowed to leave Seoul. 

“We did it,” Minho whispered in the now silent room. The only sound was coming from Soojung as she was dozing off. 

Kibum smiled, “Yes we did.”

“Do you think raising her will be the same as raising the boys?”

“No. It’ll definitely be harder, but worth it.”

Minho nodded in agreement. “I can’t wait to get to know her better. She’s going to be daddy’s little girl.”

Kibum groaned. “I can already see you spoiling her rotten.

“I’ll try not to, but she already has me hooked around her little fingers.” Kibum agreed with that. 

The two parents had no idea what the next 18 years would have in store for them. What they did know was that Soojung was the blessing they both deserved, and raising her would be an adventure. 

 


It’s been forever! I know. I’m on Christmas break from college and I only work on the weekends, so that gives me some free time during the weekdays. I’m hoping I can finally move this story along. 

I hope this chapter doesn’t feel rushed. I just have a lot of ideas for teen Taemin and Jongin that I want to get to. I feel like this story would be more interesting if we got to see the boys as teens and the problems they may face. 

 

Anyway, let me know how you feel!! ^.~