Make Me Feel Better

Our Journey Begins Here

 


It was a quiet Monday afternoon for Kibum. The boys would be home in a couple of hours, Minho was in the lawn kicking his soccer ball around, and Kibum was in the living room working on sketches for the near-approaching MAMA awards. He sat comfortably on the carpeted floor as he sketched on the coffee table.  He sighed internally as he remembered he would have to present his sketches to his boss later on that day. After months of working at home, you'd think he'd be excited to experience the city again. Well, he was a little. He was just so used to working from home and not having to go out. 

He also didn't want to be the center of attention again. He and Minho had done a good job of staying out of the public eye since the pregnancy news. He knew that the paparazzi and social media would go crazy again once they figured out that he'd be in town. 
Nevertheless, Kibum was excited to see his coworkers again. They'd been blowing up his phone ever since his boss let him work from home. He gave a slight smile as he thought of how many hands would be placed on his rounding stomach today. 

There was one thing bothering him, though, besides the paparazzi. Ever since the phone call with Jonghyun, Kibum had been disturbed. He felt bad for the way he handled the situation with Jonghyun. He knew he had a right to be mad. He just felt like maybe he was a bit too harsh on him. He couldn't imagine not being able to see his boys everyday. Then again, Jonghyun brought this upon himself. 

Kibum lifted his head from his drawings as he thought, "Maybe I'm just overthinking it."

He shrugged off the thoughts of it and continued sketching. After another hour passed by, his silence was interrupted by the deep voice of his husband. 

"We're going on a date," said Minho affirmatively as he bombarded into Kibum's workspace. 

Kibum chuckled and looked up at Minho for a split second, adjusting the glasses he occasionally wore when reading or drawing. "Cute," he said briefly before focusing back on his sketches. 

Minho stood there dumbfounded for a few seconds before catching himself. "I'm serious. It can be like the old days. Just you and me."

He sat down on the floor next to Kibum. This time Kibum put his full attention on Minho. "How? We don't really have time for dates now, Minho. Everything is work work work. We barely even have time for anymore."

Minho pretended like that didn't hurt his pride a little. "I feel like I've been slacking on my job as a husband lately, Kibum."

Kibum's brows creased. "Why would you say that?"

"My job as your husband is to keep you safe and make sure life goes a little easier for you. However, it seems like every time I come home from work, you're more stressed than calm. This pregnancy should be a happy experience for you."

"Honey, it is a happy experience for me. This whole experience is exciting, but I can't be happy all that time. That wouldn't be normal."

Minho chuckled. "Yeah, but I still would like to do all I can to make you happy and forget about stress. That's why I thought taking you on a date today would be perfect."

"But I have a busy day today-

"What could you possibly have to do that could be better than spending a day with your y husband?"

Kibum rolled his eyes in the way Minho always loved. "I have to go back to Seoul today to help prepare for the MAMA Awards. I have so many idols to style, it's ridiculous. That's why I have so many sketches."

"You weren't going to tell me?"

Kibum shrugged. "I thought you would be working today."

That's true. Minho's been so busy with work, that he and Kibum rarely ever have a chance to do anything together anymore, at least not in the daytime. Minho usually comes home in the late evening, around the time Kibum is preparing dinner, so they're both usually too tired to go anywhere.

However, Minho wants to change that. Though it's against Kibum's beliefs, Minho decided to go ahead and request time off of work so he could be home more. Jinki was totally understanding since there aren't any games coming up soon. Plus that's the reason why they have co-captains. He just wondered how long it would take for Kibum to realize he's on paid vacation. 

"Let me go with you," Minho said excitedly. "I don't think I've ever been to your workplace."

Kibum snickered. "It's not going to be interesting. All I'm doing today is turning in sketches, doing some paperwork, consulting assistant stylists, setting up makeup stations, and picking out fabrics to give to the designer."

"Sounds fun! I could be your little helper, too. I just want to be with you. Honestly, this works out for the both of us. After you finish work, we can find a great place to eat for our date."

"What about the kids? I thought you would be home while I was gone. If you come with me, they wouldn't have anyone to supervise them."

"They can't stay at a neighbors'?"

"I don't want to keep burdening Mrs. Park. She's not a babysitter, Minho."

"Well," he contemplated. "How about Jonghyun? I know you guys just had an argument, but he lives in Seoul, right? If his schedule is clear, I'm sure he wouldn't mind."

That was actually a good idea, Kibum thought. He had been meaning to call Jonghyun to apologize. He felt bad for the way he exploded on him. He knew that he may have had every reason to, but he also felt like he didn't give Jonghyun a good chance to explain himself. That doesn't mean that he's going to allow him to take his kids away. No way in hell. However, he did want to give Jonghyun more of a chance to see his kids. 

Kibum nodded, "I'll call him, but that means we'll have to pick the kids up early from school. I have to leave in about two hours."

Minho smiled eagerly. "So does that mean our date is still on?"

Kibum blushed. "No promises, but yes so far. And thanks, honey. Thanks for trying to do something nice for me, even if it's just you being my little helper for the day."

Minho leaned over and kissed Kibum on the lips. "Anytime. By the way, you should wear glasses more often. You look cute."

Kibum shoved Minho away playfully to hide that he was blushing again and reached for his phone. "I guess I'll call Jonghyun now."

Minho nodded and stood up. "I'll go take a shower then get ready to pick up the boys."

Minho left as Kibum dialed the number. Jonghyun picked up as soon as the phone rang. 

"Hello?"

"Hey, Jonghyun. Um...., how are you?"

"I'm good. Just jotting down lyrics. You?"

"I'm fine as well. Um, I have a question. Are you busy today? Like around 3 or 4?"

"No, I'm off today. Why?"

"Well, I'm going to be in town today, in Seoul. I'm going to be really busy with work and I need someone to watch the kids. I was wondering if you would be able to."

"Wait, what? The boys will be in town today? Of course! Thank you, Kibum."

"Why are you thanking me?"

"Well, I know you could have let the boys stay at my parents' house or your parents' house, but you asked me instead. I'm so thankful that I can see my sons again."

Kibum smiled. "Yeah, I just felt really bad for how I talked to you yesterday-"

"Don't feel bad. I shouldn't have demanded that from you anyway. To be honest, I was a little buzzed from alcohol, but I'm not excusing myself. I took some time to think about how you probably felt and how I would feel if someone told me the same thing. So I understand." 

"Thanks, and if the judge allows it, we can rearrange visitation rights. I still want sole custody of my kids, but I do agree that you should be able to see them more."

"Wow, that sounds amazing. So, what time are you guys going to be in town today? I need to prepare for the kids."

"Umm, well Jongin gets out of school around 2:30 and Taemin is out around 3:15, but I'm picking them up early. I guess I'll get Minho to get them at 2:00. It takes an hour and a half to get to Seoul from here, so we should approximately be there by 3:30, most likely 4:00 when dealing with these kids."

Jonghyun chuckled. "I can't wait to see them."

"I'm sure they'll be happy to see you too. Anyway, I gotta get back to finishing up my sketches before I'm out of time. See you when we get there."

"Bye, Key." Then they hung up. 

It felt refreshing to have a nice conversation with Jonghyun, Key thought. It was a vast difference from the conversation they had last night. It also warmed his heart knowing that Jonghyun appreciated the opportunity to see the boys again. 

Kibum pushed the thoughts away and looked back at his sketches to finish. As he was finishing, Minho rushed by saying that he was going to pick up the boys. Kibum chose to get ready while Minho was out so that they would be on schedule. He quickly packed a snack for the boys so they wouldn't have to stop anywhere while driving. Then he picked out an outfit, quickly throwing on maternity jeans and one of Minho's long sweatshirts since it was a little breezy outside. He thought about doing his makeup, but second guessed that since he'd been getting more comfortable being bare-faced. 

Kibum was packing the car just as Minho pulled up in his own. He smiled at the boys as they ran excitedly out of the car, probably ecstatic to be out of school early. 

As they ran past Kibum to the front door, he stopped them by saying, "Come back, boys! We're going to Seoul today."

They both turned and Taemin eagerly said, "Really?"

Kibum nodded. "Yep, your appa will be very happy to see you."

"We're seeing appa?!" Kibum nodded and they quickly got into the backseat of his car. 

They all got in the car, Minho in the driver's seat and Kibum in the passenger's seat. 


Twenty minutes into the car ride, Kibum kept catching Minho glancing at him with a radiating smile. When Kibum caught him again, he playfully said, "Can you please keep your eyes on the road, sir?" Minho burst out laughing, accidentally startling Taemin. "Why do you keep staring at me?"

"You look so beautiful. You're wearing my sweatshirt and not even wearing makeup. I'm just surprised because usually when we go to Seoul, you try to look as fashion-forward as possible."

Kibum grinned, "Well I guess after spending months at home I've realized that I don't care about how I look. I mean I do care to a certain degree, but there's no need for me to put on makeup just to see my boss and coworkers."

Minho grabbed Kibum's hand and kissed it. "That's the same thing I was thinking. Hey, what do you feel like eating later? Do you have a taste for Italian or a French restaurant?"

"Honey, we don't have to go anywhere expensive-"

Minho shook his head adamantly. "Like I said before, this is going to be like the old days when I used to do everything to impress you. So I'm going to treat my beautiful husband to a nice expensive meal that he deserves."

Kibum blushed. "Thanks, Minho. To answer your question, I want neither French nor Italian."

"Oh, really? What would you like then?"

"Well, I'm not sure if I'll feel the same way later on, but I have a taste for Thai food. Anything Thai. I haven't had it in awhile."

Minho nodded. "Ok, Thai it is then."

"Do we get Thai food too," asked Jongin.  

Minho and Kibum chuckled. Kibum answered, "No, baby. You're staying with appa for the day so he may have something planned for you. But I'm sure if you ask him, he might get some for you."

Jongin shrunk back in his chair. "Aww, man. Appa's not going to do that if it's expensive."

Minho commented, "Better luck next time, bud!"

To Kibum's surprise, they arrived at Jonghyun's apartment earlier than expected. Minho walked the boys inside to Jonghyun's place before returning quickly to the car and asking Kibum, "Where's the next destination?"

Kibum sighed, "My boss's office."

Minho chuckled. "Why do you seem so down? All you're doing is turning in sketches, right?"

"Yeah, but there's always a ton of paparazzi in front of his building. They're just annoying sometimes."

Minho agreed as he backed out of the parking garage. "Trust me, I know, but don't worry. Your trusty body guard is on duty," he said gloatingly. Kibum lightly smacked his arm in a joking manner. 

They parked in the back of his boss's building, but sadly had to walk to the front where all of the commotion was going on. Minho wrapped a protecting arm around Kibum's shoulders as the paparazzi spotted the two of them rounding the corner to the front of the building. 

"Kibum, Minho! Congrats on the baby!"

"Kibum, why haven't we seen you lately?!"

"How's the baby?!"

"What do you have to say about the rumors claiming your pregnancy is fake?!"

"What's the of the baby?!"

"How does Jonghyun feel about this?!"

These questions were starting to get ridiculous, Kibum thought. The entrance seemed so close but so far away. 

"Kibum, is it true Jonghyun a bad father?"

That was the one question that caused him to pause and look back, which he shouldn't have done because all he saw was flashes from cameras. He'd given them the reaction they wanted.

Minho quickly rushed them past the crowd and into the building. Once inside, Kibum stood there with a red face staring at Minho, obviously bothered. 

Minho said with much care in his voice, "What's wrong?"

"I shouldn't have looked back. Why did I give a reaction at all?"

Minho put comforting hands on Kibum's shoulders. "Hey, they were just trying to get to you. It's ok. They said something bizarre that caught you off guard. Everything's fine, Kibum. We came here to get some work done, get dinner, then go home. Don't let them ruin your day, ok?"

"But I don't care what they say about me. I can handle that, but the moment they question Jonghyun's parenting, that's where I draw the line. I can't believe he actually asked that stupid question!"

"Kibum, look at me." Kibum took a deep breath and focused on Minho. "Everything's going to be fine. Trust me. Now remember, you're pregnant. You don't need this kind of stress. Our little baby in there is affected by everything that you do. Can you just relax for me? For the sake of our little one?" 

Kibum sighed, "Yes."

Minho gave a bright smile. "Good. Are you feeling better?"

Kibum smiled a little before nodding. "Thanks, my little helper."


They were directed to Kibum's boss's office on the tenth floor. Kibum felt a little queasy from being so elevated. He leaned on Minho as they walked down the hall where the office was. "I feel sick."

Minho placed a hand on Kibum's belly and rubbed in circles. "Is it because of the baby? Or is it because you're nervous about how he'll feel about your sketches?"

"Maybe a bit of both. I sort of waited last minute to work on my sketches."

"He's never rejected any of your sketches before, Kibum. You should be good. Where's my confident husband?"

Kibum looked up at him and smiled. "Gosh, you're doing a really good job today as a helper. Maybe I should hire you to work full-time."

Minho chuckled. "No problem! Quitting soccer and working for you sounds like a dream come true," he said jokingly. The jokes died down as they stood in front of the door. "Am I allowed to come in?"

Kibum shrugged. "I don't know. I usually come by myself. He probably wouldn't mind though."

Kibum grabbed Minho's hand and pulled him into the office with him. His boss seemed very excited and pleased to see the both of them. As Minho had promised, Kibum had nothing to worry about. His boss loved what he presented and couldn't be happier that his most valued worker was back. 

After leaving the office and dodging paparazzi, the rest of Kibum's work day flew by with the help of Minho. The highlight of his day was seeing the excitement on his coworkers' faces when he came into the building. Some of them seemed even more excited to actually be in the presence of the Choi Minho. Kibum could only roll his eyes as Minho played up the fact that he had fangirls. 

Thankfully, Kibum had finished everything on his schedule around 6:00, which allow him and Minho plenty of time for their date. 

"Sooo, are you ready for our date?" Minho asked excitedly as he walked Kibum to the car. 

"Of course. It's all you've been able to talk about all day."

"Well, can you blame me? I haven't been anywhere formal with my gorgeous husband for months."

"Speaking of formal...um, I'm not so sure about going to a fancy restaurant, Minho."

Minho visibly deflated. "What do you mean?"

"I mean my appetite is forever changing. I just feel like eating McDonald's and calling it a day."

Minho stuttered, "Y-You can't be serious. You want to skip out on going to a nice restaurant for some greasy unhealthy fast food?"

"Yep!" Kibum waited a few moments before bursting out laughing. "Lighten up, Minho! I was just kidding."

Minho did a sigh of relief. "You're quite the jokester aren't you?"

Kibum snickered. "Maybe. Now let's go to some fancy Thai restaurant before I really change my mind."

Minho hurriedly put the car drive. "You don't have to tell me twice."


They arrived at a famous Thai restaurant located in the center of Seoul. Minho chose this specific restaurant because celebrities often went there, which meant they had an option to sit in a secluded area in the restaurant for more privacy. 

"Are you ready to eat," he asked Kibum. 

"I'm starving!"

He and Minho got out the car and were escorted to a private part of the restaurant. The waitress handed them their menus and left them to themselves. 

Kibum looked around the restaurant and commented, "This place is nice. I would've dressed up more if I knew this place was this fancy."

"You look great just the way you are. No need to get dressed up to eat. If you ask me, you're the hottest thing in here."

Kibum snickered behind his hand. "You're just saying that because you're my husband."

Minho grinned. "No I'm not! You're so gorgeous. There's no reason I would need to look at anyone else but you."

Kibum felt butterflies in his stomach, the same butterflies he felt in his first stages of dating Minho. "Thanks, honey. Let's keep it that way."

"Aww, you're blushing!"

Kibum whined as he covered his cheeks, "Shut up."

"Aish, you're so cute."

"Minho, I'm supposed to be y. Not cute."

"You're all of the above."

Kibum made a thinking face, "Good answer, Choi." They both chuckled then turned their attention to their menus. 

Minho asked, "What are you in the mood for?"

"I'm not sure. Since I'm pregnant, there are some things I have to avoid. I guess I'll stick with miso soup. What about you?"

"Hmmm, I'll get chicken and rice."

The waitress came over and placed their orders before taking their menus. Kibum and Minho talked as they waited for their food to arrive. 

Minho held Kibum's hands across the table. "It makes me so happy to see you smiling like this right now. All I ever want is for you to be ok."

"Well thanks to you, I'm doing perfectly fine. You really are a great husband, Minho. You don't have to take me out everyday for me to know it. But I guess I does feel nice to finally get out the house and go on a date."

"So you're enjoying yourself?"

Kibum nodded. "As weird as it sounds, it feels like I'm meeting you for the first time again. I have butterflies, I'm blushing, I'm nervous. I'm just having the same emotions I had when we first started dating. Thank you for doing this."

Minho brought Key's hand to his lips and kissed it. "You're welcome. It was my goal to get you out the house and enjoy yourself. I hated coming home to you crying or stressed out. You're a strong person, Kibum. I don't want you to beat yourself up over anything."

Kibum sighed. "I know. It's just so hard to talk to you about my problems sometimes because you're usually working."

"And that's why I asked Jinki for a week off."

Kibum's eyes widened. "You did what?! Minho, I told you-"

"I know what you said, but you need me more right now. You're pregnant, Key. I want to help out as much as possible. I know that you're kind of used to this since this is your third child, but you've got to understand that this is my first biological child. I've never dealt with a pregnant partner before. So I just want to make sure you're taken care of."

Kibum took some time to ponder on that. It was true that he was sort of used to the process of being pregnant. He was so used to it that at times, he never asks Minho for anything because he already knows what to do or how to handle situations. That's not very fair to Minho because he sometimes feels helpless, like he has no help to offer Kibum because Kibum is a seasoned pro at this. 

Kibum gripped Minho's hands for comfort. "I don't want you to feel like that. I want you to know that I appreciate every little thing that you do. I guess it's insensitive of me to not come to you for help because I already know what to do. It just adds on more stress to myself. That's why when you come home, I'm either crying or obviously stressed. I need to learn how to let go of the reigns and let you take charge sometimes. I'm sorry."

Minho smiled gently. "Don't apologize. Like I said earlier, you're a strong person. Your past has made you who you are today. I love that you're such an independent person. I just ask that you please don't stress yourself out anymore than you have to. That's why I'm here to help. I love you, babe."

Kibum smiled and began tearing up. "I love you too, honey."

Minho reached over and wiped Kibum's tears. "No more crying, ok?"

More tears came out as Kibum smiled. "Damn hormones. I don't even know why I'm crying. I guess I'm just happy. I'm so happy that I can finally sit down and talk to you about my feelings instead of pushing everything away and acting like nothing's wrong."

Minho continued to wipe Kibum's tears. "Well, you know I'm always here for you. Always." He leaned across the table to kiss Kibum on the lips. 

Kibum got himself together and changed the subject. "Well since you'll be off tomorrow, you'll be able to come with me to the doctor."

"Why are you going to the doctor?"

"I'm getting another ultrasound. The doctor said we can actually learn the of the baby tomorrow if we wanted."

"Do you want to?"

Kibum nodded. "It would be nice to know what to start shopping for."

Minho groaned. "Something tells me my bank account is not going to be looking too pretty by the end of this."

Kibum chuckled. "What are you hoping for the baby to be? I know you'll be happy either way, but if you had things your way, what would the of the baby be?"

Minho took awhile as he thought of an answer. "Maybe a girl."

"A girl?" Kibum hadn't been expecting for that to be Minho's answer. "Why?"

Minho shrugged. "It would be a nice change from there being so many boys in the house."

Kibum nodded. "I agree. I've always wanted a little girl, but I was still happy with conceiving two boys. They're my pride and joy. But if I'm blessed with a girl this time around, I would be so ecstatic."

"Me too," Minho said as his voice wandered off. 

Kibum took note. "You're nervous aren't you?"

"Isn't it normal to be?"

"Yeah, but like you said before, this is your first child. I can tell you're a little concerned about it. You shouldn't be. I know that you'll be a great father, Minho. Don't doubt yourself."

Minho smiled. "You really think so?"

"I know so."

Their food arrived not too long after and they enjoyed a dinner full of laughs and teasing. Kibum needed this. He had been feeling down and out lately. From work, to Jonghyun, to the kids, he had felt so flustered. But as always, Minho was his knight in shining armor. He always knew what to do and what to say. Sometimes, Kibum found it hard to believe that Minho was younger than him because Minho was so mature, especially when it came to handling difficult situations. His love for Minho could only grow stronger. 

They finished dinner and exited the restaurant while trying to dodging the paparazzi. Just like earlier, they were saying ridiculous things, but nothing could ruin Kibum's high. They drove off, picked up the boys, and were on their way home. 



It's been quite awhile since posting. I know! The excuse is the same. Life is crazy right now, but I hope this chapter made up for my absence. 

Please comment what you think ^.~