Petrichor

Petrichor

Jaehyun..

 

Why the f he’s here...

 

 

“Wow, how nice to see you guys reunited once again.”

 

“Please don’t talk. You’re in a critical condition.” Jaehyun commanded. Students from this school are whispering about us. They’re probably talking on how fate brought us here. Flashes of lights from their cameras are somewhat blinding my eyes. Hyejin kept on smiling through the pain, enduring everything, waiting for help to come. Jaehyun checked her body parts and asked her if there are pains that can be felt. “I’m okay, this wounds are only probably scratches. Arms, legs are okay. It’s just, my chest hurts and I can’t breath easily. BUT I’M OKAY.” She whispered weakly. Her voice are already husky but she still kept on talking. Jaehyun stared at me with his sweet eyes that I miss.
“Is it okay to move her?” I asked. Jaehyun is calm, but I know he is panicking inside at a time like this. He kept on biting his lower lip.

“Maybe later, I need to ask questions first. Hyejin, don’t sleep yet.” Jaehyun whispered.

 

 

“Alright boss. I want to sleep because I’m dizzy, but I’ll help by staying awake. Yayy!” She is still joking around.

Moment have passed, everyone went serious when the guard suddenly jumped out of shock. “I’ve called the nearest hospital and they said they will be late!” He screamed and everyone cried out of disappointment.

 

“Can I talk to them?” Jaehyun grabbed the phone that the guard offered. I don’t don’t know what Jaehyun is thinking. He should have hang it right off, but instead, it looks like he’s going to have a little chat with them rather. “What are you doing?! Come on, call another hospital.”

 

“But-- Sir Chittaphon, the other hospital would be like 40 kilometers away? Or- just- It’s just way too far for emergency.” The guard mumbled with his trembling lips.

 

 

“We have no other choice, Ten.” Jaehyun whispered.

 

“WHAT NO OTHER CHOICE?! WHAT?! WHAT ARE YOU SAYING?”

 

“Hello, My name is Jung Jaehyun. Beside me was a guy named Chittaphon. We’re going to take up our residency this year. We’re not licensed, but can we do this job alone?” Jaehyun turned it on speakers for us to hear everything that they’re talking about. I became petrified right after he said that. “Yes, we have anesthesiologist, he’s on his way right now from a pharmacy. He’s buying the things we need right now.”

 

“You can’t do that! That is in the law!” The guy on the phone yelled. He’s panicking as well.

 

“YES, JAEHYUN THE DOCTOR IS RIGH--“

 

“But we’re doctors. Licensed or not, we’re willing to save her from dying.”

 

“YOU’RE PREPARING HER BURIAL INSTEAD. YOU DON’T KNOW ANYTHI--” Jaehyun ended the phone call. I heard Hyejin breathing fast and it makes me more nervous. I asked if she’s okay but she only kept on smiling. Darn, I don’t need your smiles right now.

Taeyong arrived and was stunned to see me beside Jaehyun. I shifted my gaze to Hyejin and she was already dropped dead unconscious. I opened her eyes and flashed my light on her pupils to see if it dilates. It is dilating, but still I can’t calm. She is unconscious and that what’s bothering me the most. “Jaehyun, she fainted. There are pupillary response, pulse, and everything. She just fainted.” I exclaimed. Jaehyun took a deep breath. “Are you serious about doing this?! This is illegal. Like, we’re--“

 

“I can’t say it’s cardiac tamponade, or lung distress.” He’s not listening. “Anyways, let’s move her. Move her.” The students get a blanket and as we lift her up, we headed through the huge clinic and we ran as fast as we could. Hyejin is getting paler and paler, as we kept on running. Students from the school are watching us like we’re shooting a drama. The principal is panicking as well, not because of the students, but because of the surgery that is going to take place inside his school. Yes, we have no other choice but to do this. I’ll go with the surgery, because I want her to live.

 

 

 

We got inside the huge clinic, and as we lie her down, to check her pulse,

 

 

there are no response.

“NO PULSE!” Jaehyun’s jaw dropped as I kept on stepping back. “Perform CPR!” I said.

Taeyong, who is petrified, undressed her and pushed her bone as he kept on whispering the count of compressions. His sweat is dripping down from his forehead to his cheeks as he stared at me. “DECIDE WHAT YOU’RE GOING TO DO AFTER CPR.” Taeyong yelled and we snapped out of nervousness.

 

 

 “S-Science Club. Close the door and the windows.”

 

The new science club followed what I’ve told them to do. The nurse prepared all the apparatuses we need. I’m surprised because it’s really complete. This clinic has ECG, and other emergency apparatus. The problem is that we’re lacking of instruments. “I’ve requested a lot for our principal to provide the advanced Emergency machines, and he agreed. But the instruments..” The nurse smiled disappointedly on us. We only have scalpel, mayo scissors, gigli scissors, and other scissors. IT’S FULL OF SCISSORS.

“It’s okay. I’m-
I’ll warn you, -- Guys, I’m here to inform you that we’re not a surgeon. We’re just a doctor. You’re free to leave if you don’t want to get in jail and lose your job.” After Jaehyun threatened her, she just shook her head.

“We will try our best, and if we do, you’ll be getting your licenses, right?” The nurse smiled at us. Science club members wore their gowns and masks. They’re not going to participate for surgery, but they want to know more about medicine and anatomy so we let them in. “I want no one to puke or feel sick after I incise her. Anyone who doesn’t want to see blood spurting, you can go.” I said, but no one left. I saw crowd of people watching us from outside. I even saw teachers who were panicking, because they’re stopping the students to watch the surgery. It is the curiosity that drove them here. No one can be blamed.

 

I washed my hands and after, they tied my gown, scrub cap and mask in a comfortable position. They prepared the bed with sterile sheets, and transfer her to that cold bed.

 

 

Jaehyun stared at me coldly, like he’s wondering if he should put me in the trash bin or no. He cleared his throat and speaks, “Okay,

Ten would be the lead surgeon.

 

WTF?!

 

“I’ll be the first, Taeyong is our anesthesiologist, and nurse would be our scrub nurse. These science club members would be--?” Jaehyun raised both of his eyebrows in fluster. I should be the one raising my eyebrows. WHO TOLD HIM I AGREED TO BE THE HEAD SURGEON?! “What would be their roles?”

 

“AH, they will be wiping our sweat, contented?” I smirked at the leader of the club as she went near us.

 

My adrenaline is boosting up in every parts of my body. My blood feels hot as well as it keeps on flowing onto my arms. Like a bulb lighting up, I suddenly remembered all of the things I studied and how our body works. From simple biology to it’s hardest parts. Everything from easy to hard, is rolling inside of my mind like a movie flashing forward. Knowing that I’ll be the head surgeon makes me feel suffocated.

“Hyejin’s vital became stable, but not stable enough. After 10 minutes, she’ll probably collapse.” Taeyong declared as I kept on thinking procedures to do. Jaehyun is nodding at me to let me calm. “Yo, sht, I’m done with anesthesias! Make it fast, TEN!

 

I’M UNDER PRESSURE, CAN’T YOU JUST SEE?

 

 

 

I took a deep breath and close my eyes, imagining everything that I need to do.

 

“Alright.,” I cleared my throat, and whispered with a trembling and unstable voice.

 

 

 

“We’re going to perform a resuscitative thoracotomy. We’re going to revive Hyejin at all cost.” I exclaimed. “Jaehyun, please tilt her arms and prepare the iodines.” Jaehyun followed what I commanded. This will be my first time incising a real human body that is alive and every excitement is turning into anxiety. I don’t want her to die. She’s my only hope. The ECG is beeping fast as we prepare for incision. “Please focus and don’t mind the long beeping sound.” Jaehyun whispered/

 

“I know. I know. Team, WE’RE GOING TO THIS IN 5 MINUTES BEFORE SHE EXPIRES. Please, let’s do everything we got.” Taeyong has been observing the ECG. Everything went fine as I traced the markers I made with a scalpel. I also made an incision in the intercostal muscles to place a blunted scissors on the hole. I transect the intercostal muscles, calmly, without panicking..

 

Until I heard my nightmare- a loud monotonous beeping sound. “TAEYONG!” I called his name.

 

“SHE’S EXPIRING. MAKE IT FAST.” He replied.

 

“Keep calm, Ten.” Jaehyun’s voice is trembling as well. I was gulping throughout the whole surgery. “Don’t mind the sound. It’s just a sound.” I tried to take a deep breath, as Taeyong went straightly to us to give the CPR. He pushed his hands forcefully to the bone without minding the injury, just to get her vitals back. After panicking, I move forward to the next step. I pushed her lung with my fingers in order for it to avoid any injuries from the movements I’m doing with the scissors. “Please do remember that she’s in a critical condition right now and please make it fast.” Taeyong hissed as he kept on counting the times he’s been doing the compressions. Her cardiac activity is going back to normal, and going critical again. The fate is playing with us.

“Rib spreader.” I whispered.

 

“Oh yes, We don’t have one.” Jaehyun answered calmly like there are no problems.

 

“WHAT DO YOU MEAN WE DON’T HAVE ONE?!” I yelled. It would be impossible for us without rib spreader! How can I see the contents inside if I don’t have the instrument? “Are you even serious?!”

 

“CAN YOU GUYS SHUT UP FOR A MOMENT? THINK OF AN ALTERNATIVE!” Taeyong yelled at us and we became stunned.

 

“Jaehyun, use your hands.” I commanded.

 

“W-What?”

 

“Say ‘what’ once more, and she dies.”

 

I’ll took the risk if Jaehyun doesn’t want to separate the ribs. Like an elevator door, I gently opened her ribs to see what’s inside. Jaehyun is starting to panic. “Now, help me with the ribs. Please think that you’re an instrument called Rib spreader. DO NOT EXTEND MORE.” I cried.

 

“I’m not! But.., are you okay with that space?”

 

“My hands aren’t that big. Plus, I can see everything inside.” I saw a building of fluid inside the percardial sac. “Cardiac tamponade. I can see it. I’m going to release it. Metzenbaum.” The nurse handled me the blunted scissor once again. I pinch the sac just above the nerve and a pool of blood has been released. “Suction.” I requested as I the blood inside the body of Hyejin.

 

I heard the monotonous sound once again as I saw her heart not beating. I hate this. “CARDIAC ARREST. SHOULD WE PUT PADDLES?” Taeyong exclaimed. “I said 10 minutes and you’re doing it like it’s--“

 

I ignored him. “I released the cardiac tamponade and I’m going to perform the heart massage, please hang on.” I gripped her heart, compressing it like I’m holding a massage ball. I’m staring at the monitor to see if everything is going normal. It stays the same. I’m getting nervous. My sweat is dripping down, but the science club members are wiping it for me. Every gulp I take is painful. I kept on whispering, chanting, praying to let her live.

“Hyejin, please fight.” One whisper, two whispers, --

 

“I’m starting to lose hope.” Taeyong whispered.

 

I kept on massaging her heart but the monitor is not even responding. “Jaehyun please spread the ribs more.”

 

“There would be fractures.”

 

“There won’t be if you spread it gently.” Jaehyun then, followed my command. I inserted both of my hands inside her body, and I forcefully massaged her hands

 

 

Without a second,

 

 it beats! Weakly, I pushed once more and continue massaging. “Vitals are here. Keep it up.” Taeyong exclaimed. I kept on compressing and releasing her heart to make her vitals back to normal. Everyone is looking at me, proudly. I can feel the support of my team, even if we had complications about the surgery.

 

 

As soon as the respiration and blood pressure became stable.

I stepped back. We’re done.

 

We did it.

 

 

Jaehyun and Taeyong’s eye smile is making my heart flutter. “Oh..... You’ve done it great. I’m surprised.” The nurse whispered.

Science club members clapped and cheered as soon as I’m done massaging her heart. I’m almost dizzy and I want to pass out because it’s so complicated. “Jaehyun.” I called him. He stared at me, like he’s staring at my soul.

 

“See you on jail.” He giggled as he stitched everything. “Goodness, I didn’t know you’re here.” I don’t really know what to say. It’s just awkward. Even Taeyong doesn’t mind to utter any word. “I’m glad I can see both of you.” I whispered.

 

“I’m done.” Jaehyun looked at me once more, smiling.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I walked outside and I saw a lot of people waiting for response. The students are waiting like there have been hostages inside. My shirt is full of blood splatter. Smelling the scent of the school after that stressing moment, brings back the memories once again. The media rushed to me to ask me what happened. Microphones and cameras are in front of me, waiting for an answer.

“I heard the three of you are not licensed yet?”

 

“Yes, we’re not. I heard that we’ll be thrown into jail just by saving a friend.” I smiled. They are confused. They must have thought that we failed the surgery. “Those eyes.. You all must be thinking that we failed the surgery. No.

 

We did it.

 

“You.. mean.”

 

“Her vitals went back after we performed a emergency thoracotomy. This is usually done to repair damage and occasionally, do a heart massage to bring back to life. 60% chance of survival and we did it. I’m quite surprised. Our skills are not as good as those professional surgeons but we manage to do it somehow.” Jaehyun and Taeyong stepped back after they went outside to get a fresh air. The students are clapping, cheering us up as the police went back to their car.

 

“AREN’T YOU GOING TO PUT US IN JAIL?!” I yelled and ran as I approached the police officer I saw. The surgeons from different parts of Seoul arrived as well, begging for the police to handcuff us.

 

“Let them rot in jail. They’re not licensed surgeons. They did an attempted murder!” The old guy in front of me with a lab gown grabbed the police officer’s collar, yelling, begging at him to let us go in jail.

 

“They’re not licensed surgeons, but they did their job as doctors. Doctors should treat those who are in need right? They just can’t leave that girl lying on the street, unconscious, because they’re not surgeons. They’re doctors, saving lives.” The police smiled at us as we kept silenced.

 

“But it is not their job to--“

 

“Doctors just have their own departments to split their jobs, but all of their duty is to save people. You’re calling them murderer, because they performed a surgery. Then you’re a murderer as well?” Police officer laughed loudly, giving shivers on my spine. “In fact, I think you have at least one or two patient who died in your hands? Why arresting them? They didn’t even kill the patient. Sir, if there are malpractices that went on their surgery, we’re going to put them in jail, if there are no signs of malpractice, It is not our duty, because it would be unfair. World peace to everyone!” The guy that drove the car and hit Hyejin was already handcuffed. Disappointed, he went inside the car.

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

Weeks later, everything went okay. The video of the our surgery became viral on every social networking sites, and I’ve been invited to many hospitals to take my residency, but as long as Hyejin isn’t fully recovered yet, I will not take it. After the surgery, Jaehyun, Taeyong and I separated just like we did, but the thing is, it was peaceful and formal. My feelings are still here, but I just need to ignore this somehow to forgot it. Everyday, I buy ice cream in the store near the school I’ve been. I always loved their sweet candies and cold ice creams. I know I should have a healthy lifestyle but I can’t just ignore it. The lifestyle I had when I was in my senior year brings back many memories, even the cravings. Somehow, I hope Jaehyun is right beside me, but now that’s impossible, I can’t wish him to comeback.

 

 

The school is my place to relax. I roamed the hallways for fun, and students have been greeting me. It’s sweet.

The cherry blossom tree is blooming in the garden as the music class are practicing their flute class. It made my heart flutter, for it’s relaxing. The sun rose up high, giving warmth to my body. This time, I feel lonely, but I’m somewhat contented. We might separate paths, but our bonds will stay right in my heart forever. It’s been years and still fate does it’s job to bring people back together. It’s good how my story turned into a roller coaster ride. It’s like a piano that is balanced. Where the black keys represented those sad moments, and the white keys are filling it up with joy. I had fun with my life. I don’t regret meeting every single person in my life for they supply everything I am right now.

 

The wind is calm, fresh just like the water in this pond. I feed the birds after they went down, chirping happily as they fly away. The three of the birds flew away, carrying foods for their children. Supplying their needs for survival.

“I wonder what you’re doing right now?” I whispered, talking to the sketchpad in front of me.

We’re in the same country and yet, it feels too far. It feels like I’m inside the virtual world while he’s in the reality. “I hope you stay the same.” Tears fell down as I flipped the pages again. The ice cream beside me is melting. Just why did I bought another one.

 

My heart feels it’s ripping apart. I always said to myself I’ll try to forget them but I just can’t. I can’t just forget those times we laugh, those times we cry, the times we hugged, we hold hands. I love him. It’s not easy to let go. I find it hard to forget him because I still love him, just like those days we’ve been together. It’s not fading. After 8 years of separation, it’s still here.

 

I feel a lump on my throat as I force myself not to cry. I’ve been lonely, and I don’t want to be alone just like this. I want him to come back, and I’m desperate for him to. I want to see those smiles, I want to see him laugh, cry, I want to hold his hands once again and get through with life together. I want him.

 

“Please comeback.”

 

I caressed the sketchbook of memories, recalling the past when everything seems okay. “I love you..”

 

 

I stood up facing the pond as I let go of everything I have. I have to. Even though I can’t, even though it hurts, for the sake of myself, I have to. I don’t want to be stuck in this time plane where heartbreaks are trend.

 

 

“Please live your life well. I know you probably hating me right now for saying this. I know if you hear this, you’ll be telling me that it should be me who should live his life well. Oh god, I miss you. Thank you for everything....” I smiled and wiped my tears. I was about to get the melted Ice cream that I bought but it was gone.

 

Cats? Again??!?!?!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Hey.

Is this for me?”

 

 

That voice..

 

 

That.. voice..

 

 

 

My tears welled up as I became petrified and stiff. I know it’s him. My heart beats so fast as he held my hand. “I know you’re here.”

 

Am I dreaming?

 

Jaehyun pulled me, hugging me tight as I became frozen. His warmth is melting my small body. I can’t breathe but it’s okay.

 

A rain showered in a sudden. It was sunny but then it is raining. The sun made a rainbow as I stare right into the garden. It’s beautiful. It’s relaxing.

 

I want us to be like this.

 

 

 

 

He stared at me, and I look up at his brown eyes. It’s shining just like the water in the pond. His eyes reflect my face and as he smiled, he went near. I closed my eyes, feeling the breeze of the air, the coldness of the rain, and the warmth of the sun, it’s balanced.

His soft lips touched mine as he held my back and hugged me gently. Nose to nose, lips to lips, we’re together, bodies as one.

 

 

We loved each other even though we’re not expressing it through words. Years have been passed, I asked myself, what will happen if I met him in sudden. The answer is here. I thought I’m going to gave up this feelings for him. We’re really not compatible. But still, whatever God has given me, problems, laughters, I still cannot forget his smile, face, voice,.... everything. I love him.

He’s a part of my puzzle. Without him, I’ll be incomplete. Without him, I’ll be lost.

 

Tomorrow, I’ll be seeing him smile once again. The next day we’re going to laugh at simple things. Next week, we’re going to cry because of a movie. The next month, we’re going to cook, we’re going to talk about nonsense things. We’re going to eat ice cream from that store. We’re going to work as a team. We’re going to shop.

 

I’ll be with him, he’ll be with me.

 

Today, tomorrow, til eternity,

 

This will be the best dream I’ve ever had.

 

 

 

 

Once again, the prince saved the princess from drowning herself under the ocean. The ocean might have rejected her, but the prince did not. After the drought and dryness of life came through her, The prince brought the rain in the castle, and as the petrichor is lingering, they promised themselves to be together,

 

For eternity.

 

 End.

 

 

 

 


 

 

THANK YOU FOR READING THIS FANFIC~ I HOPE YOU ENJOYED READING. FOR THE COMMENTS, I APPRECIATED IT SO MUCH MORE THAN YOU KNOW. THE VOTERS AND SUBSCRIBERS, THANK YOU FOR LOOKING FORWARD FOR THE CHAPTERS AND BEING LOYAL TO MY STORY~ YAY! FIRST FIC IS DONE SUCCESSFULLY BECAUSE OF YOU GUYS, THANK YOU ONCE AGAIN! GOD BLESS AND PLEASE LOOK FORWARD FOR MORE~ I'LL BE GOING NOW, BYE~