Pyromancy

Petrichor

 

 

Pyromancy (n.)
The practice of performing or controlling fire.

 

 


“Uh, have you seen the transferee?”

 

“Not yet, He’s from Thailand, right? People are scared to go for a walk now.”

 

“Heol. Why?“

 

“Eyes that are dead, pale face, emotionless, he’s like a living corpse.”

 

“He’s that strange? Isn’t it hot? I mean I pictured him as a vampire in my mind. OH MY GOODN--“

 

“Nawp. Bruh, hot vampires only exist in fictions. This is the real one. I mean, I would depict him as real one because he looks like he would really off the blood out of your neck.”

 

“Wait you ain’t serious, right? Is it too much? To compare him to a corpse?”

 

“Aigoo, you’ll know what I mean. You’re section is 4-C? Right? Let's go.” They ran holding their hands, acting like everything they have said was just a line. A line that can be forgotten as the time passes by. A book that doesn't have a meaning and will be burned right after they're done reading it.

 

Fakes.


 


 

Finally, they’ve stopped. I was in the middle of arranging my things when I heard these girls gossiping about me on the hallway. They must have thought that I’m just a random guy passing by who didn't care about my surroundings.

They must have thought I’m deaf.

 

 

They really thought I’m a corpse.


 


 

This is the thing that hurts me the most. People are creating rumors about me, my appearance, and the way I live my life, even though they don’t even know me. Pretty cliche right? Well if I have the chance to make a movie, it would be a horror story because there is no life. I feel nothing glowing inside of me. Depression and how to be in the expectation of others are the things I always think of, but I’m somewhat surprised I’m not bothered, or maybe I’m already used to it.


 

 

This society is full of judgmental people with their imaginative minds that can create a fictional reality. One mistake in grammar, everyone would be a person who mastered English 101. One pimple, everyone would be a dermatologists and comedians. Short height, everyone turns into titans. I know you get the concept of it. 

In my case, I just look like this, and now everyone called me a corpse. Everyone turned into doctors who knew that I’m already dead.


 

I’ve been avoiding everyone because of this. This is the thing I somewhat got used to. I’m tired of explaining who I am in front of class, I’m tired of asking myself ‘Did I do something wrong’ or ‘How to reach their expectations’ because whatever I do, I will not change the fact that I am physically intimidating.

 

Now, in front of this class, I won’t explain why I look like this, why I’m so pale, why my eyes are deadly vicious, or why my lips look like it was meant to cuss.

 


 

This time I won’t shove through their throats that I am a human, because if they wanted me to, I won’t do it anyway. Being a human for me doesn’t work, if so, I’m already being fake.

I want to keep my introduction short. I don’t want to say my whole name. I don’t want them to know everything about me because I know they will use it against me.

I’m going to live like a corpse because it is what I look like and it is what they want me to be.


 


 

“Call me Ten. 18 years of age.”


 

“Ten? Ten? Surname?” It was a total silence as I stared at my professor. She has this short hair and wide eyes, but her smile faded as I looked at her straight in her eyes.

“O--kay, Ten. Okay that’s all, right? Have a seat.”


 

“Where?”


 

“W-W-WHERE?! AHM. JUST CHOOSE HEHEHEHEHE.” Her voice is cracking like a rooster crying for help. She was trembling our of fear.

 

I searched the room for a vacant seat but it turns out to be no other than the seat at the right outmost side of the room. It was the last seat, or maybe I should call it as an extra seat because it looks older than me.

“I’ll seat there. At the end.”


 

Everyone gasps.


 

“Yeah sure! For you to fail your class.” A guy from behind yelled. Almost everyone got the joke but there are some that didn’t find it very funny.


 

I think there are 2 types of students in this class:

1. The one that yelled, +  those who laughed. And

2. Those who find the joke annoying.


 

A guy in front of me whispered as he flexed his neck, making a disturbing sound. ”It’s a cursed chair. I mean anyone who sits there always fail their exams.” I've noticed his hair is white. Well, kind of. It looks like gray to me somehow. “Don’t pick that chair.” He smirked.

 

 

“Mr. Lee Taeyong.” I whispered with my soft voice as I read his name on his tag written on a shiny silver metal. Everyone is still laughing at the bully’s joke even though I'm talking with someone else now. 

“It is me who plans my future. Not that chair.” Everyone fell into deep silence once again after I said that line. I guess everyone heard it right. I watched him yawns, sending me off to that ‘cursed’ chair that they’re talking about. 


 

I’ve sat onto it. It’s comfy and I don’t have any problems with it yet, plus it is at the back and I am near at the window, I'm contented by this. My only problem right now is how I can keep up with this class.


 


 

As the professor continues on her speech, a yellowish flash of light blinded my eyes for a second. Someone must've been playing a mirror this whole time. I searched the room until I noticed a guy right next to me, placing his gold name tag on the left side of his shirt.


 

According to the ranking system of students here, those who got high grades will not be ranked by section. For example, those who passed the subjects last year with an average of 95% and above, will not be moved to the ‘first’ or ‘top’ section. Instead, those who aced the subjects last year with an average of 95% above will be given a golden name tags, those who passed the subjects with an average of 90-95% will be given a silver name tags, those who passed the subjects with an average of 85-90% will be given a white name tags, with an average of 80-85% will be given a bronze name tag and those who have 75-80% will be given a black name tags. Those who failed, of course, will take their summer class and retake their name tags and exams.


 

It is believed that the top students or the students with White to Gold tags should still be in a room mixed with average, fast and slow learners for them to understand the different capacities of people and help them with their needs based on their conscience of course.


 

It is their will to help those in need. It is their choice, and is not their loss if the student surpasses them in terms of grades.


 


 

What I don’t get is why the attitude is not counted here. I mean it’s not all about the grades, right? One day, after you graduated, attitude will also be the part of your job. It is on how well you can communicate with your fellow employee.


 


 

I was in awe, finding the light until I found that it was the guy sitting right next to me. He is tall and he’s paler than me. He has this milky skin that girls dreamed of, his hair is a bit brown and curly. His skin and hair is shining as the sunlight passes through the windows. Our uniform is dark blue which made his skin glow even more.

“Oh so you’re a transferee?” He says. I snapped out of wonder. “Sorry, I was finding my tag in my bag. I thought I’ve lost it on my way here. I found it anyways.”

 

“Then how did you know I’m a transferee if you’re not paying attention?”


 

“Your green tag.” Ah, alright, how stupid of me. Green tag refers to transferees.


 

"So you have this golden tag? People must have been adoring you.” He’s staring at me but I’m avoiding his eyes. I’m just peering at the teacher explaining the regulations of the school that I’ve memorized.


 

“Adoring me? Not really. There are lots of us having this tag. Not only me.”


 

“But you belong to that ‘us’.”


 

“Everyone can have this tag. It doesn’t mean that once you get this, people would've adored you. It’s a bit stupid to be honest.” He chuckled. “School is not a 100 meter race. I am studying here without exerting any pressure, because I love what I’m doing.

I hope you will, too.

 

Welcome to this class, Ten.” I know he’s smiling but I’m still avoiding his gaze. I'm pretending not to notice his smile because I know, when I smiled back, another chapter of my life will begin and he will be the new character in my story.


 


 

This is the first time someone smiled at me genuinely. But I can't be friends with him. I shouldn't.


 

He only just pulled the trigger; I know he will become unreachable.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Time flies so fast that I didn't even notice it is already time for us to go home from this hell-like place. School is not a 100 meter race, he said, but how can he say that when everytime you got home from school, it feels like you've been fighting for your life to survive. This school is no joke. You've been writing what's in front even if it's already inside the textbook. I don't get it. The whole thing was inside the book. I don't get the point of writing everything. But it can't be help. Instead of complaining, I'll just keep myself silent for them not to notice me.

 


It was just a normal day I guess? People have been into Jaehyun's presence. What I mean is, they indulged themselves to him. They're so fake. They only want recognition and attention because all they want from him was fame. They will only be there for you as long as you have something they need. When you no longer serve or have a purpose to them, they will leave. I pity him. I pity Jaehyun.

 

 

I walked out of the classroom and rush downstairs because I really want to get home and get some rest. I hope people will compare me to a sloth instead of a corpse. Sloth matches my personality well, because I always have the need to sleep all day and all night.

 The calm winds of the morning became strong this afternoon.
"Ten!"

 

I know that voice.

 

 

It belongs to him.

 


It's Jaehyun..

 

 

I walked quickly for him not to catch me but he's tall. That means, his legs are long. That means, he's quite a runner. I won't lose.

 

"TEN! Stop! WAIT!"

 

 

I stopped. There is no point of running.

 

Just, why am I avoiding him and everyone?

 

"What do you need?" I grunted. I am suprised to see him smile despite of running and trying to catch me up. 

 

 

 

"Can-- No.

 

Let's take a walk.., together."

Those words..

 


I felt a sudden rush of anxiety I haven't felt before. It's like a scorching fire destroying everything I have inside. It feels like my blood is boiling, rushing backwards as the time is slowly ticking. My sweat is dripping down from my forehead down to my cheeks. It's not even hot.

 

It IS not supposed to be hot.

AM supposed to be calm.

 

 


This fiery and burning feeling in my chest is weird. What's happening to me?