Chapter Eight.

Need a Girlfriend? Call 1-800-KRY-STAL!

Here's to procrastinating on studying for my AP exam. (And I lied about updating on Sunday. I apologize. Life just got in the way.) 

- holy ing -

He should have escaped when he had the chance.

Lee Taemin has never been surer of anything in his life.

Especially since she was smiling at him like that. He vaguely wondered if this is what being hunted felt like; granted, Jessica Jung was no hunter (even if she gave off the predator feel).

“Jessica unnie, stop smiling at Taemin like that.” Krystal deadpanned, staring at her sister blankly. She didn’t like the way she was smiling at her “boyfriend”.

The older Jung rolled her eyes, but was quick to retort. “I’m not even doing anything!” She gave another scrutinizing look to Taemin before asking innocently, “What year were you born?”

“I’m a 93-er.” he replied uneasily. Why would she care about his age? It’s not like I look dangerous or super older than Krystal, right?

Jessica tsk-ed and looked pointedly at her sister. “He’s a year older than you, and he's your boyfriend, but you don’t call him oppa? You don’t even use honorifics or a cute pet name.”

Krystal scoffed lightly. “Just because he’s my boyfriend and older than me doesn’t mean I have to call him oppa.” She disregarded the ending half of the statement.

“Krystal, you’re supposed to be polite; and you should use aegyo while you say it.” Jessica tsk-ed lightly again, smiling slightly. It was obvious that Jessica was poking fun at her little sister.

“What if I don’t want to use aegyo?” Krystal half-frowned at her sister and didn’t even bother looking at Taemin. She didn’t want to use aegyo; that was that in her mind.

Taemin chose that moment to space out.

Oppa? Taemin oppa? His mind immediately went into imagination mode as he pictured a very adorable, very aegyo-like “oppa?” coming from Krystal. He even had the grace to blush lightly.

He decided that there was something very attractive about being called oppa by Krystal.

Wait, she just called me her boyfriend.

He also decided that there was something very attractive about that as well.

“See Krystal, you’re already losing him. You should call him oppa.”

Jessica noticed he was spacing out. (Because Jessi knows all.) He felt his cheeks heat up very lightly.

He blinked in surprise (at how he so quickly spaced out) and smiled sheepishly. “Sorry.” he bowed his head a tiny bit and instantly had Jessica’s hand pinching his cheek.

“I’ll forgive you~ if Krystal goes to a different table so that I can talk to you in peace~” the older Jung almost cooed this while staring at Krystal. She had a hand on Taemin. Specifically, his face. There was no means of escape.

(Resistance was futile.)

(A/N: I always wanted to add that somewhere.)

“So what do you say, Krystal? Move across the café and sit on the other side or his face gets it.” She threatened, tone joking, but also not. She did, after all, have a hold on his face.

Krystal had the “see-if-I-care” look on her face, while Taemin looked a little panicked.

“Oh my god, Krystal!” he found himself whining.

“It’s not like she’s going to actually pull your face off!” Krystal said, staring at the hand Jessica had on his face.

Jessica chose that moment to pinch his cheek, hard, and pull. “KRYSTAL!” he whined again. He hated cheek pulling. Jessica looked smug.

“Unnie!” Krystal complained, swatting at Jessica’s arm.

“No hitting me.” admonished Jessica. “Just sit over there like a good girl or your pretty boyfriend won’t look so pretty anymore.”

It was suffice to say that Taemin’s face looked like O___O at this point. (A/N: Anyone think of EXO’s D.O.? Anyone?)

Taemin pouted a bit at Krystal, which made her sigh deeply, stand up, and move. “Fine.”

Jessica still looked just as smug, with a smile gracing her features. She instantly let go of his cheek and asked, “So, what do you like about Krystal?”

“Honestly, we’ve only known each other for a short while.” And that was true. Completely true. Taemin figured he might as well be truthful as possible. He didn’t think he could get very far lying to this noona anyway.

“You can’t be dating her and not like anything about her.” Jessica raised a very suspicious eyebrow. “There has to be at least one thing.”

There was a short pause as Taemin’s brain short-circuited, which caused him to stare blankly at Jessica; she stared back just as blankly. And then the accusations came.

“Are you only dating her because she’s pretty?” Her smile dropped and she glared at him so icily, he was afraid that she would actually freeze him. “Do you have an ulterior motive? I will stab you with a fork if you’re just using my baby.”

Taemin blinked almost wildly, trying to convey an appropriate response. “N-no, I’m not dating her because she’s pretty-” Damn my stutter.

Jessica frowned at him, looking slightly irritated. “So you’re saying she’s not pretty?” Taemin then realized that he said the wrong thing.

“I didn’t-“

“I’ll have you know that my baby is gorgeous, okay?” She glared icily at him, idly ripping a napkin in minor irritation.

“But I didn’t-”

At this point, Krystal, no longer able to just sit there and watch, sighed again and walked out, frown on her face.

“I thought I could like you, but if you can’t appreciate all aspects of Krystal, then-” And then Jessica was cut off by a rather frustrated Taemin.

He pouted lightly, disliking the fact that he was cut off so many times. “Look, I think she’s very pretty, but that’s not why I’m dating her.” He hoped he sounded sincere enough, because really, he just met Krystal. And he paid her to be his fake girlfriend. But he hoped that he at least sounded sincere.

Too bad Krystal didn’t hear what Taemin said about her. (If only she stayed sitting for another ten seconds or so.)

Jessica smiled, glare fading, and asked, “So, what do you like about her?”

Taemin racked his mind for appropriate things to say and almost started panicking again. Well, here goes something. “I like that she’s straightforward and honest?” He said this nervously, making it sound like a question. He was basing that statement off of their little interaction before Jessica came in.

Jessica nodded, and merely said, “Do go on.” She had her "judging you" face on.

Damn it all. He tapped his foot nervously, wondering where the hell his “girlfriend” went. He thought maybe looking at her would give him some inspiration to wholeheartedly pull off some bs comment. He thought about it some more, and then said softly, “There’s no fake pretense about her.” He hoped to god that what he said sounded believable. “I like that she’s the type that says, “what you see is what you get.” It’s very…attractive.” Again, he was basing that statement off their little interaction from earlier.

He just met the girl! He wasn’t ready for this type of interrogation! Taemin found himself almost praying, hoping that Jessica wouldn’t ask anything else. He had nothing else to say, really. And he knew that if he talked to her long enough, the truth would eventually spill out.

“Mm-hmm.”Jessica nodded once more, although she was starting to get some weird vibes from Taemin. It’s like he’s hiding something from me.

And that was true. He was hiding the fact that he paid her little sister to be his fake girlfriend. But that was something that would be found out at a later time.

But before Jessica could act on instinct, Krystal chose that moment to reappear, skipping in happily and fully distracting both Jessica and Taemin. “What are you so happy about?” asked Jessica, suspiciousness on high.

“Nothing~” Krystal sing-songed. Now even Taemin was suspicious. Until he saw the door open. A smile lit up on his face.

“Now what are you so happy about, Taemin?” asked Jessica. She didn’t think her suspiciousness could get any higher, but she was proven wrong.

Before she could question anything further, someone took it upon themselves to hug her from behind, almost squishing her in the process.

Jessica was ready to scream. She really was. Her dolphin shriek was really powerful, and she knew it.

And then the person hugging her talked.

 “Little Jung told me you were harassing a friend of hers.” She knew that voice. She really knew that voice.

Jessica stared at Krystal, glaring. “You called Jinki of all people?” Krystal smiled angelically in response, while Taemin let out a happy, “Jinki hyung!” She huffed and relaxed into the hug. “I’m not harassing a friend, babe. I’m harassing a boyfriend.”

“Soojung called me and told me to get my over here because my girlfriend was torturing her boyfriend.” Jinki, also known as Onew and hyung to Taemin, smiled cheekily at his dongsaeng. Taemin smiled weakly in response.

“I wasn’t torturing him.” Jessica felt the need to defend herself, even if she knew herself that she was kind of/sort of harassing Taemin.

“I would much appreciate it if you could take her away, Jinki oppa.” Krystal’s angelic smile stayed on her face.

Jinki nodded to her and picked Jessica up from her chair, and tried to lead her out of the café.

“I can’t believe you called on my boyfriend to get rid of me.” Jessica complained.

“Desperate times call for desparate measures, unnie~” Krystal laughed slightly as Jinki maneuvered his girlfriend out of the café slowly.

“Get this, though.” Jessica stopped near the door, forcing Jinki to let her get in some last words. She was smiling again, way brighter than before. Taemin wondered if that was the effect Jinki hyung had on her. “I think you’re adorable, cute, and a good guy, Taemin. I also think that you and Krystal could make a good couple, even though this whole thing seems kind of weird.” Both Taemin and Krystal awkwardly looked around, avoiding Jessica's gaze. “But if you hurt Soojungie, I will stab you. With a fork.”

“Jessica!” Jinki looked slightly scandalized and chastised her lightly. "That's my dongsaeng!"

“What, babe? I didn’t say with a knife.” It was Jessica’s turn to don an angelic smile. Jinki just shook his head and pushed Jessica out the door, waving a nice goodbye to both Krystal and Taemin. “Taem, we’ll take later about this, okay?” said Jinki, right when he was half out of the door. Taemin nodded mutely, and then Jinki left merrily on his face, holding hands with Jessica.

The duo left in the café stared at the retreating backs of Jessica and Jinki in silence. Until Taemin realized he was confused about something.

“Wait, who’s Soojungie?” He looked completely clueless.

Krystal stared pointedly at him before sighing for the umpteenth time that day. “We need to go over some basic personal information…”

--

Myungsoo felt a sigh escape him as he walked down the streets of Seoul, decked out in his usual disguise. He was wearing a beanie, sunglasses, and a jacket with a high enough hood that covered part of his face.

He looked extremely suspicious and almost creepy.

Alas, he didn’t even care.

He needed a break from his entertainment company; it’s been hectic just being there for the last couple of weeks. A walk around the city was just what he needed.

“Oh ho, what is this?” His eyebrow raised in semi-amusement as he spotted a very familiar figure- his fake girlfriend’s. From across the street, he saw into a café (he had the same view Jessica had only a little while before) what looked to be Krystal and an unidentified pretty boy. “Is that the Key person she was talking about before?” He huffed lightly before deciding to make his way over. He needed to get to the bottom of things.

Unfortunately, fate decided that he was not allowed to get to the bottom of things in the way that he wanted. Why? Because he was in a busy, busy place. And to get across the street, he needed to use the crosswalk.

The intersection was a busy place; many people were using the crosswalks. Because of that, right when Myungsoo decided to walk across, someone bumped into him. In fact, he almost knocked someone over. From the looks of it, the person he bumped into was a young teenage girl.

Being the gentleman that Krystal doesn’t believe he is, he obviously steadied the person and even asked, “Are you okay?”

Right after the question left his lips, the male model felt a strange sense of dread fill his being. He was right to feel dread.

The girl stared blankly at Myungsoo for a couple moments; it was almost as if she knew who he was. That was his cue to back away, turn, and then run far, far away. Sadly, before he could fulfill his cue, his glasses were suddenly pulled off.

She dared to de-sunglass Kim Myungsoo.

Oh hell no.

But he had bigger problems on hand.

“OH MY GOD, IT’S L!”

The girl that he bumped into just alerted the whole block that Kim Myungsoo was in the area.

She just had to be a fan. She just had to recognize his voice. And she just had to take off his sunglasses and then squeal.

Holy ing .

--chapter end! 

A/N: I guess Myungsoo’s disguise wasn’t good enough ;D

It’s like I am incapable of updating twice a month or something. Willpower…I have none. Anyway, it’s been a month (and a day!)… ;D hope you liked the update (even though I am horrible at updating quickly).

Minho didn’t even show up in this chapter… -____-‘’ sorry Min, I didn’t know where to put you ;---;

And Myungsoo seems to have run into a little trouble. Heh.

Heads up to MyungStal shippers: you’ll probably love the next chapter.

By the way though, I’ve been itching to do a mini-MinKey fic (about five chapters?) and a 10 or so chaptered TaoRis fic… (say hello to my SHINee and EXO otps)…not to mention, there is this TaeStal fic that I really wanted to start since I practically have most of the fic planned...and since I am the worst person at fic management (xJungSquaredx and xQueenHanniex would know this), this story might go on hiatus in the near future. I guess that’s another heads up. But, nothing’s for sure ;D I won’t abandon this fic though! Don’t worry about me leaving Need a Girlfriend. This thing is like my baby. And it has TaeStal, Minstal, and MyungStal. Haha.

Hope you enjoyed the update! (This was a TaeStal-ish chapter for all you shippers~ xD)

Comment replies:

vickysmileey: thank you for your comment <3 i love that you said it’s getting better ;__;  heads up to you for the next chapter, since you ship myungstal! ;D

bubblemikteaahh: thank you for commenting! ;D and poor krystal indeed. haha. i love annoyed/oblivious Myungsoo. ;D and i think Jessica went pretty easy on taem…besides, you know, the part where she threatened him with a fork. heh.

young_soojung: ugh, taestal, minstal. and myungstal always confuse me. and then there’s kaistal…damn it soojung, you’re so shippable! i’m actually scared for the ending too lol. thank you for loving this story and commenting!

pandagirl84: i confuse myself too. don’t worry. >< here’s an update for you though! ;D minstal will be coming up soon! thank you for commenting!

airakca: the problem lies in the fact that that i like all three couples too ;___;  don’t worry, i’m confused too! haha. to be honest, i’m just going with the flow, even though there is a certain couple i ship more than the rest :P thank you for commenting, dear!

susanisgorjess: it’s okay, i can’t make you read parts you don’t want to read anyway. and krystal can still become a fake girlfriend to taemin and minho because even though she’ll be announced as L’s girlfriend, she’ll be known as K and will always have some sort of disguise on when they get caught in public. i know, i know, not full proof. but i need taestal and minstal in here somehow! haha. thank you for commenting!

kcharlenek: Jessica is just a boss like that ;D and i love childish Myungsoo. he’s funny. heh. poor L. always mocked by krystal, amber, and sungjong ;D

--iuVanilleau: thank you for commenting! ;D and i’m glad you thought that part was cute~

xQueenHanniex: minkey bff-ery. i have to have it ;D i don’t think anyone can bicker more than krystal and L o.O but anyway, i love the kryber relatonship too! ;D client dating partners? oh damn. haha. and i think it was more jongie than amber being cunning; amber was just being…amber. haha! to be honest, the j, k, l, m thing was one of the first things i thought abour including in this fic xD and chicken army by association? onew is damn fierce. jinki will have a talk with taem later about it ;D

colorsnharmony: here’s an update for you! i see him as that type too! heh. and although Jessica didn’t question taemin fbi-style, she did threaten him with a fork. does that make up for it? haha. thank you for the comment! ;D

xJungSquaredx: unnie annyeong. last chapter was the longest chapter of my life. i’m supposed to be studying, but here i am writing this chapter…and you would like that line. ;D here’s taestal…kind of…LOL. i don’t even mind if you find minkey cuter than minstal because my shinee otp (well, one of them) speaks for itself ;D

TaeFTW: omg, link to taestal moments! <3 they’re so cute! haha. i agree, life is always better when taestal’s involved xD thank you for commenting! ;D 

Hope you guys enjoyed it ;D thanks to everyone that reads, comments, and subscribes!