Day 6(Past)

The Emperor's Seamstress

June 1st 1910

Dear Diary,

The prince came back to see our progress. He came into our little shop and saw it was now repaired.
He very much liked my work, which was very odd and he asked me if I had drawn lately. He sat down beside me and began to show me his drawings and I began to show him mine. He was a very nice man. 

He then got up after some time and had a chat with my father. When my father came back his face was sad. He called my mother and they spoke and my mother started to cry. They haven't told me yet, what the prince said, but I'm guessing it isn't the best news.


~evening~

My parents asked Hongbin's family over for supper. Hongbin sat between Cali and I but leaned in to whisper in my ear.

"Meet me by the barn at midnight." And then he squeezed my hand. I could feel my face flush red. I think my heart had hurt. Could that be love? 

Later my parents presented a gift to the Lees and Mr. Lee begins to speak.

"My wife and I would like to propose a toast to our future daughter-in-law-"

Hongbin began to shake "daughter-in-law?" he said.

"-Yes our new daughter Cali." I thought my heart was breaking. My sister was confused and Hongbin was visibly angered.

"You never told me." His voice was louder than I've ever heard, yet it still wasn't a yell. 

"It was a recent decision." His mother had said calmly. "We know you may feel differently-" she looked my way then looked back at Hongbin "this is what's best right now."

"Why!?" Hongbin jumps up, with his fists clenched. 

"Son, sit down!" His father yelled ahim. 

"No, I don't want to marry someone I do not love." He bowed quietly and exited the room. Tears were already in my eyes and still are, why did they decide this?!

~midnight~

I don't know if I should still go meet him. He's probably really upset, he won't be there... I should go anyways.