CHAPTER 3

She's My Girl
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Oh my god, this is a bad idea. This is a really bad idea. Why did I agree to this? Oh my god. Darie tried to hold the dread from appearing on her face as she trekked along the grass pavement towards the main entrance of the school’s building being filled up with kids. She swallowed hard as she tried to remember what Sandie had taught her over the weekend.

 

Strut like you don’t care about anything. Eyes straight ahead. If anyone caught your eye, do not look away. Wait for them to do that.

 

She tried to remember everything else that Sandie taught her but it all seemed to fly away as she had her whole concentration focused on taking a step at a time.  Left right, left right. She feels like she’s sweating buckets. She tried hard to mimic the way Sandie walks but it feels so confusing with her own that she ended up looking like she had her leg amputated or something.

 

She and her twin had met up on a hotel over the weekend and rehashed everything that they need to remember about one another. The friends, the teachers, showing pictures, even showing how to walk like the other, to speak like the other, even little mannerisms. It was a complete chaos! A total mess that they both agreed to just wing it since teaching each other how to move would probably result in world war 2 since neither of them had the patience of a teacher. They exchanged their phones, Sandie was more aggravated with that, and Darie told her they need to call each other for updates, need to meet every once in week at JinYoung City.

 

“This is all for the sake of grandpa’s inheritance,” Darie said while they sat exhausted in the hotel room after hours of practicing speech, movement, and reactions on possible scenarios all to no avail.

 

“Yeah because these are all useless,” Sandie said plopping down on the bed. “I definitely cannot be you and you definitely cannot be me so let’s just… wing it.”

 

“You mean just… go in and….” Her voice trailed off.

 

“Wing. It,” Sandie repeated stressing both words.. “No one’s going to know anyway. If we do something out of the ordinary and they call us out for it, just tell them we’re not feeling well. I assume you know how to lie, right?” Darie just pierced her with a wry look and Sandie took that as a yes. “Try not to be too obvious that I’m not you and just remember that you are the king of the school. No one’s gonna bother you.”

 

Darie sighed heavily. “Fine. I know how to make up a story if I needed to. And remember, when you go to my school, don’t be too obvious that you’re not me.”

 

“Yeah, be a dainty, prim, reserved butterfly,” Sandie said with a heavy tone. “This is gonna be a tough challenge for me but giving up isn’t exactly my forte.” She looked at Darie from head to toe. “Just tell me when you don’t want to do this anymore.”

 

Sandie’s condescending tone irked her. She may be brought up with good manners and etiquette but she’s not a fragile little princess who would give up that easily. “Give up is a transitive verb I don’t like using so don’t expect it from my history.”

 

Sandie looked like she wanted to laugh and scowl at the same time. She opted to grin instead while shaking her head. “Whatever you say.”

 

After a couple of minutes reminding each other about everything which they already forgot the minute they stepped out of the hotel, they drove home, with Sandie not leaving her bike in Darie’s care which Darie is more than glad to get rid of anyway. Her driver, Richard drove her off to HyunSuk, right at her dad’s huge house. Her dad welcomed her with open arms stating he was glad to spend a month with her but wished he could spend the whole month with both of his daughters present. Darie’s room was still there but scant of any mementos that would actually siginify that it’s hers. She didn’t bring much since she was supposed to wear Sandie’s clothes anyway.

 

Which she regret later on. Sandie told her YG High doesn’t require school uniforms but all she had in her closet are ripped pants, cut out shirts, leather jackets, skulled hoodies.... She doesn’t want to go explore on her kind of shoes but when she did, it was all cargo boots, high heeled boots, platform boots, knee high boots, platforms sneakers. Everything is meant to kill her foot if she tried to wear any one of them. She just sighed and hoped that Sandie will have a harder time choosing outfit to wear in her closet. Then she sighed even heavily when she realized Sandie wouldn’t have a hard time. School Uniforms are required in SM High.

 

Her dad gave her a car of her own to her delight. Which got squashed when a new driver comes with it.

 

“Your mom has been calling me non stop about getting you a driver. And I did just to shut her up,” her dad said.

 

“Dad, Sandie doesn’t go to school with a driver,” Darie pointed out diplomatically but she was already screaming inside.

 

´Yes, she doesn’t. She go to school with a bike,” her dad responded. “So unless you wanted to ride a bike, you will be driven to school.”

 

“You’d rather I ride a bike?”

 

“No. I just knew you wouldn’t want to ride a bike.” He grinned. “Now don’t argue with me. I’m just saving my life from being murdered by your mother.” Then he gave her a once over. “You really look like Sandie with the clothes but your shoulder is too straight so try to slouch a little bit.”

 

She stopped herself from stomping her foot in total frustration over the fact that she can’t drive on her own but she calmly thanked her dad and went out of the house to get on the new car. With the driver.

 

Now dressed like she’s going to a concert with her platform boots, leather black pants, sleveless shirt with a skull on the front and a heavy necklace (which she guessed is what these miscreants call bling bling), she focused her eyes straight ahead not looking at anywhere. Just go inside the school and… and pretend you’re sick. Yes. She didn’t realize she was already breathing heavily with all the nervousness as she stepped inside the school’s entrance, its smell reeking of blood and violence.

 

Okay, maybe that was just her imagination running wild.

 

“Sandie!” Someone called out. Darie’s shoulders immediately gone rigid, her neck frozen and she stood  there as if she suddenly turned to stone.

 

Oh . What the hell am I gonna say? This is a really bad idea. A really really bad idea. Her heart beating erratically inside her chest, she swallowed hard as she vascillates between runniing away and think about the consequences later or just growl at the person who called her and announce her bad mood.

 

A girl with long silver hair stopped in front of her along with another girl with long black hair with full bangs. The silver haired girl was wearing baggy pants and mid rib shirt looking like a hip hop artist while the girl with the full bangs is wearing a short dress that is clearly to show off her long legs.

 

They both grinned at her, their faces expectant and Darie’s eyes went from one to the other, racking her brain for their names. Yes, she remembered now. They look different from the pictures.

 

“Hello,” she greeted trying to hide her nervousness.

 

The silver haired girl whom she remembered as CL laughed. “Don’t think you can hide from us.”

 

The other girl with great legs, Bom, that’s her name, shook her head. “You didn’t even go the parking lot. Are you avoiding us?”

 

Darie blinked at them looking as blank as her mind is. Was Sandie supposed to be doing something for them? She didn’t mentioned anything last night when they talked on the phone with last minute info to remember.

 

“Uh....” Wing it, like Sandie said. “I have a really bad headache so… i think I need to go the nurse. Immediately. Like right now.”

 

Both of their smiles fell and regarded her with piercing stares. Darie wondered if she said something that is so un-Sandie. Okay, she needs to get away now. She tried to take a step but a hand suddenly took hold of her arms and she whirled her head in panic. They were two very tall guys holding both her arms in a grip lock and she tried hard not to recoil when she saw the look on their grinning faces like evil  reincarnated.

 

“You won’t get away with this Sandie,” the taller one of the two said in a menacing tone.

 

“Don’t even think of using your martial arts skills on us. We got you sorrounded,” the other tall guy on her left said.

 

“W...wait wait,” Darie said really feeling nervous now and her mind is already in pieces. She tried to remember who Sandie told her to stay away from. Is this GD’s gangster friends? But she said they wouldn’t touch her! “I can’t think,” she muttered out loud as her mind conjured up images of bodies being beaten up in a dark corner of a school.

 

CL’s grinning face suddenly turned to concern as Darie’s face went pale. “You really don’t look good, though.”

 

The guys immediately let go of her and she tottered, her legs giving out and one of them caught her before she fell. Now all of them are looking at her in utter concern.

 

“Ah , you’re really sick?” Bom said looking surprised. “You never get sick, what did you do this weekend?”

 

“Do you want us to take you to the clinic?” The tall guy said who caught her and who she is unconsciously clinging onto because her legs turned to jelly. The nervousness mixed with the morbid thoughts running through her brain is making her frightened that is more than necessary. No more thriller movies for her.

 

The two girls and the other tall guy crowded her and Darie wanted to tell them to get away from her so she could breathe but then she realized that they were actually blocking any students from seeing her with the way they were glaring at students who passed by and looking over their direction. Her mind couldn’t invoke any thoughts so she commanded her legs to stand straight up. She was about to tell them that she needs a moment alone when they all fell silent and she followed the direction of their gazes.

 

There is a group of guys that is walking in sync as they entered the hall and the students scampered out of their way. Darie watched them, mesmerized by their movements, all looking like some kind of a group that will run over you if you get in their way and wouldn’t even stop to look at your dead body.

 

Oh god, and they were just in high school! What kind of a school is this? This is even worse than she imagined it to be! Thank god she told Minzy to do her thesis elsewhere.

 

Her heart practically stopped when her eyes met the guy in the middle and she is definite she can remember him anywhere based on the number of warnings Sandie had issued to her about him while flashing the picture in her face. GD Kwon.

 

She can’t seem to tear her eyes off his face as she wondered how a person can be so beautiful and look so evil at the same time. GD let out a little smirk before turning his gaze away and walking past them with Darie watching them.

 

“I don’t want to tell you this Sandie but he looks so much imposing than you are today,” Bom said. “Maybe you should go home and get some rest before he found out you’re not feeling good.”

 

“I need to go somewhere private,” Darie said her voice still steady but she can feel herself shaking. “Can you point me to the direction where no people will bother me?”

 

They all looked at each other before the taller guy hesitatingly jabbed a finger outside. “You… can go to the field. It’s empty right now.”

 

“Good.” That’s what she said before sprinting off but not before tripping on her own feet (she blamed the death shoes) and falling head first on the granite floor with her hands flailing in the air. The hall fell silent with only Darie’s dignity crying for someone to save her as her face hit the floor. She kept still not knowing what to do. Oh my god! She wanted to cry. She never should have agreed! She should’ve listened to her mom! She blinked back the tears that is threatening to fill out her eyes. Just one day and she’s already giving up? She could just imagine the taunts she would get from Sandie right after she told her Giving Up is not in her vocabulary.

 

Out of the silence, a clack of someone’s shoes can be heard and it took a moment before Darie realized the sound is approaching near. She prayed it was someone who will help her get out of here. But the sound stopped and she could see a pair of shoes right beside her at the corner of her eye. She slowly lifted her head and saw the face of GD Kwon looking down at her. She didn’t know what to do or what to say so she just lay there on her front, frozen as GD stared at her with an unfathomable expression in his face. After what seemed like forever, he slowly bent his knees, his arm resting on his right knee and his other hand stretching out towards her.

 

Darie thought he was going to help her up and the words thank you formed in when she heard a click. Her eyes went to his hand and saw that he was holding his phone, the camera facing her and GD face wearing an amused, definitive smirk. GD’s eyes went to her face as he put his phone back in his pocket. “You look better bowing down to me, Park. Keep it up,” he said before standing up and walking off leaving Darie watching him, agape in incredulity. It was not the fact that he wasn’t even gentleman enough to help her stand up but to take a photo of her while she’s sprawled on the floor…. She had never met anyone reeking of such ungentlemanly behaviour in her life. She slowly turned her head and saw a lot of students frozen, all looking at her and when she met their eyes, they all looked away and the hall suddenly filled with chattering noises.

 

No one even helped her up. No one. She was left drowning in utter humiliation. Her eyes met CL and Bom’s. The only two people she had managed to remember as Sandie’s friends. And they just stood there watching her. She didn’t even tried to figure out what their expression meant but she scrambled back on her feet and sprinted off the entrance, running fast. She didn’t know where she’s going but she stopped when she finally made it into the streets, her back resting on the brick wall of some alley. She breathed heavily trying to catch her breath while her mind replayed the scene that happened a while ago. She put her hands in her face while her chest heaved up and down. Oh god why did she agree to this? This is really ridiculous. She can’t do this. Now she knew she can’t. It had been easy when she thought about it. Motivated by her idea of some change in her life. But this change is not exactly what she’s looking for. Or what she needs. This is Sandie’s life. She was a fool to think she can live it out for a month when she can’t even last an hour.

 

After calming down a bit, she took her phone and dialled Sandie’s number. Which is really her number that is in her twin’s possession. If she’s having a hard time, maybe Sandie is too. She would feel better if she can talk to someone who can understand what she’s going through.

 

Sandie answered on the fifth ring.

 

“Yes?” Sandie answered cautiously.

 

“It’s me, Darie.”

 

“I know,” Sandie said. “You calling this early would mean something is up. Tell me this up is not something wrong.”

 

Darie bit her lip and carefully considered her answer. “Something wrong is such a negative phrase implicating a dire situation with no resolution when in fact is just a tricky problem that needed a simple fix to right what is just an exaggerated way for us humans to describe a normal occurrence.”

 

Silence. Then Sandie’s voice came out sounding ominous. “What did you do?”

 

Darie sighed heavily before answering. “I… ran away….” Which is true but not the entirety of the story which she knew would be best kept from Sandie. She could hear the breath of relief that Sandie let out from the other end of the line.

 

“I ran away all the time. From history class, to chemistry…. My stamina built up because of that,” Sandie said, laughter in her voice.

 

Sandie sounded so unproblematic of the situation that Darie paused. Was she the only person going through a hard time? Of course she is. Darie’s life was perfect! Of course Sandie wouldn’t have a hard time living it!

 

“So… did you meet my friends?” Sandie asked.

 

Darie leaned on the brick wall with a heavy heart. “Yes.”

 

“And?”

 

“They seem… nice.” Until they left her lying on the floor.

 

She heard Sandie snorting before asking. “So what did they asked of you?”

 

What happened earlier was a jumble mess inside her head and she couldn’t remember exactly what happened. Just remembering how the whole place looked like to her. “Are those two very tall you’re your friends too? Your friends, if you call them  that, are very threatening.”

 

“That’s what gangs are made off,” Sandie said and Darie could see her rolling her eyes as she said that.

 

“And if you must know,” Darie said finally getting her wits back. “That GD guy is far more threatening than the rest of you.”

 

Sandie scoffed. “That’s because it’s the first time you have met him. Over time, you would realize he’s just another idiot sauntering the halls of YG High with just a name backing him up.”

 

Darie was the one to roll her eyes this time, calmness already settling in after the panic that fell on her.

 

“Where are you anyway?” Sandie asked. “You’re not hiding in an alley, are you?”

 

Darie’s back straightened up. “No,” she denied.

 

“Good. I don’t hide and I don’t cower,” Sandie said. “It’s just a little game we played last week, you don’t have to be so scared of that.”

 

“What game?”

 

“You know, them to give you one order for today. I lost in the card game last week and I told them they can tell me to do one thing when I come in on Monday. Which is really going to be you. I’m smart aren’t i?” She laughed.

 

Darie felt really pissed off at how she got played by her own twin. She thought she’s going to die while the two scary guys held her in a vise grip. She tried to tap her temper down to the lowest level because she is close to blowing up on her after she replayed the scene where she doesn’t have any idea why she was being sorrounded by the two girls and the two guys.

 

And falling on her face while her twin’s nemesis took a photo of her.

 

Yes, it wouldn’t be good if she gets hysterical alone in a deserted alley. That’ll be so unladylike. “You are unbelievable,” she managed to croak out with gritted teeth.

 

“What, they wouldn’t ask you to do something outrageous,” Sandie said amusement coating her voice. “They think you’re me. Duh.”

 

Dara couldn’t form a single word as she seethed at the thought that Sandie tricked her but then it immediately evaporated when her words rang in her ears. They think you’re me. Duh. Darie closed her eyes feeling like a total fool over not even thinking clearly to realize what’s already in her face. Of course. She wasn’t the one that was humiliated. They think she was Sandie. No one even knows her. No one even knew Darie Park exists. She had been mixing her life and Sandie’s. She’s only pretending to be Sandie. And the Sandie that this school knows wouldn’t run and hide in an alley while calling someone for help. She only have to endure this for a month then the real Sandie would get back to continue her story of Ruling The Kingdom.

 

But then there was the problem of that picture GD had stolen. She didn’t know if that will get her sister into a war freak mode if Darie told her but then she doesn’t want to find out. “What if… your friends… told me to fall flat on my face?” Sandie guffawed and Darie added, “And that GD guy saw it.”

 

Sandie stopped making that guffawing sounds from the other end before she spoke in a low tone. “My friends wouldn’t ask you of something they know Sandie Park would get them back at for so tell me that this did not actually happen.”

 

Darie blinked several times wondering if she should just tell the truth that in her haste to get away from the people who scared her, she tripped, fell down, and that her rival took a commemorative photo of that.

 

She must’ve paused for too long that Sandie’s tone became ominous. “Darie.”

 

“No, it didn’t, idiot,” Darie said. She’sll figure out what to do later. Last thing she want is for Sandie to suddenly charge here or worse. Do something as Darie in SM High for revenge. Yes, Sandie is shallow that way. “I was just saying what if.”

 

“Then what did you ran away from?” Sandie’s voice was still low, obviously not believing her.

 

“I didn’t said I ran away,” Darie said.

 

“Yes you did.”

 

Oh crap, yes she did. “I ran away… doesn’t really mean running away, you know,” Darie explained. “My words just got tumbled together. I ran and it was a very long way is what I meant. Specifically, I ran a mile because that is the only thing I can think of to… avoid being questioned by your friends. A little weird but I told them I’m… I’m trying to exercise my calf muscles.”

 

Sandie was silent and Darie wasn’t sure if she believed her ridiculous story but Sandie chuckled. “Sounds like something I would really do. It’s not gonna be weird. They would probably think I’m trying to avoid doing the punishment.”

 

Darie bit the inside of her cheek and tried to picture her twin’s reaction if she told her what really happened. First day of their challenge and she already botched it up for her.

 

“Tell me what they will ask of you and I’ll tell you if it’s acceptable,” Sandie continued.

 

“Aren’t you having a difficult time there?” Darie suddenly asked.

 

“Yes. Mom is making me crazy. Pancakes and hotdogs for breakfast? I told her I don’t eat breakfast but she made me scarf it all down and now my stomach hurts. And she didn’t let me ride my bike. And your uniform ! So yes, I’m having a difficult time.”

 

Darie felt disappointed. Not with her twin but with herself.

 

Sandie sighed after a moment of silence from her. “I know you’re having a hard time there too,” Sandie said her voice softening. “We know it’s not gonna be easy. But like I said, just wing it and we’ll both survive this. Hopefully.”

 

Darie really envy Sandie’s determination. And she suddenly felt guilty for not telling her the truth. Darie stood up straight and swore that she will right this… mess she did. However she can.

 

“I’m going to your class now. I think I’m already late,” Darie said.

 

“I’m always late so it’s not a big news to everyone,” Sandie said.

 

Darie rolled her eyes at her twin’s unconcerned grade. She’ll discuss that later with her but right now, she have to go back and make excuses on her very ludicrous action earlier and probably get some help in stealing GD’s phone and deleting that photo before it spreads.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Ugh, thank god she didn’t ask where I am. Sandie returned the phone in her pocket while she tried to walk and run simultaneously towards the big heavy oakwood door of SM high. She’s late on her first period. Or rather, Darie’s first period. She had woken up with one of the servants nudging her and  saying it’s already close to 8:00. Darie’s classes starts at 9. The maids all knew she wasn’t Darie but her mom swore them to secrecy.

 

It only took her 20 minutes to shower and dress herself up in Darie’s uniform, which she eyed in great distaste. And her collection of shoes are all similar she wondered why Darie bought the same pair in hundreds. God, her twin is such a weirdo. She tried to get her hair to be as straight as Darie’s by ironing it with the help of one of the maids and she felt like her scalp is burning. When she went down ready to shoot off to school, her mother forced her to have breakfast. She had declined as courteous as she can but her mom practically pulled her to sit down and she tried hard not to scowl at her. Her dad’s disapproval on her attitude towards her mom made her ears sting as he reprimanded her for a good 40 minutes. She’s really serious in getting a hotel room but her dad threatened to cut off her credit card so she was left no choice but to stay with her mom’s.

 

She doesn’t really hate her mom, not really. She just think it awkward to be spending a month with the woman whom she had never even spent an hour conversing with. And a woman she doesn’t really know except for the fact that she was her mother.

 

And one who will tell her what she can and she can’t do.

 

Like forbidding her to ride her bike to school for instance.

 

“Bikes are dangerous, Sandie. You can’t.”

 

“Mom, I’ve been riding bikes since I was in grade school,” Sandie insisted.

 

“Not when I’m in charge of you,” her mom responded. Sandie opened to retort but her mother beat her to it. “And Darie doesn’t ride bikes. She’s being driven to school with Richard. Which is how you should be as well if you will take part in this ridiculous set up.”

 

Her mom had returned her attention back on the newspaper she’s reading signifying the end of the argument and Sandie just gave up knowing her mother is right anyway. What would the people of SM High would think when they saw Darie, the princess of etiquette and proper upbringing, riding a big bike to school. While wearing a freakin’ skirt. That’ll attract too much attention. And questions. So she grudgingly agreed of having a driver. It’s a good thing her mom didn’t brought up the idea of Sandie having bodyguards again. When her mom suggested it last night, she had flipped. Bodyguards? She could probably take them on her own and convinced her mom she had been to martial arts classes since she was nine. 

 

When she g

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter