Chapter 20

She's My Girl
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sandie expertly pulled the car into her mother’s parking garage. She turned off the ignition and threw the driver, Richard, the keys who was sitting on the passenger seat. His eyes were wide and he was holding on to his seatbelt the entire time she was playing speed racer on the high way. It looked like his hands were stuck there.

 

“Nice riding with you, Rich,” Sandie said opening the car.

 

“Anytime Miss Sandie,” Richard had squeaked.

 

Sandie smirked as she stepped out of the car. It wasn’t as fast as her own but it’ll do. Her stress seemed to lift off, even by a little. And missing out the rest of Darie’s afternoon classes is heaven. Even if she wouldn’t be able to see and talk to Donghae. Well, she’s gonna be back as Sandie Park soon so she’s gotta start now.

 

She walked on the path to the back door of the house and picked some cookies her mom’s cook is laying on the table, fresh from the oven.

 

“Your mother is waiting for you Miss,” the cook said when she saw her.

 

“Mom?” Sandie repeated muching. “She’s already home?”

 

“Since 30 minutes ago. She’s in the living room.”

 

Sandie’s brows furrowed as she bit into the cookies but strode towards the direction of the living room. Her mom was pacing on the carpeted floor with her hands crossed looking very agitated. Sandie took that as a really bad sign. She paused and wondered if she still can hide from whatever her mom is seething at. But before she can decide, her mom spotted her and a look of relief settled into her features then transformed into agitation again. She marched over to her. “What are you thinking!”

 

“How to hide from whatever you’re mad at?” Sandie said sarcastically.

 

But her mom ignored that. “Speeding on the hi-way is dangerous! You are not in a race track! Richard is there to drive you so you didn’t need to drive! I don’t want you behind the wheel!” Sandie stared at her mother ranting wondering how she had found out. “And not only that,” her mother continued. “You cut classes! For no apparent reason!”

 

“Would the fact that I am Sandie be reason enough for you?” Sandie said. She doesn’t want to get on a fight with her mom but being berated over being herself is obliterating the kindling mother-daughter relationship.

 

“Darie would never have done something like this!”

 

“That’s because I am not Darie,” Sandie said refraining herself from yelling. “Which is obvious enough. I may look like her but I don’t think like her. You would understand if you are really our mother. But don’t worry, you only have two weeks to endure my company and after that, we get the inheritance, we could go back to the way our lives used to be, you can just pretend you only have one daughter, everybody happy.” She turned her back on her mom and raced towards the stairs and up to her room ignoring her mom calling her name.  

 

 

 

 

 

Sandie spent the rest of the afternoon seething over her mom and her apparent favoritism while she was sitting on her bedroom’s window seat with her legs stretched out over a pile of pillows looking out through the paned windows of her room. It’s no surprise anyway since Darie is her mother’s exact replica. Everybody loves Darie. Everybody looks up to Darie to make sound decisions and respects her for it. While Sandie, the rebellious gangster teenager, is only good for brawling. Psssh. Who cares anyway. People in this city can have their Darie back in two weeks. Sandie would be more than glad to leave and live her real life with the people who knows her and respects her as Sandie Park.

 

Her mind inadvertently drifted to Donghae and her irritation gradually dissipated. Yes. Donghae was one of those people too. One of those people who respects Darie Park. What would he do if he found out he’s got the unruly twin who doesn’t give a about rules? The twin who doesn’t even spare a minute studying? He liked the idea of Darie Park being active in sports but it would still be Darie, the smart, studious personality that he respect and liked. She was just a substitute. Or probably a way for Donghae to uncover his hidden feelings for Darie which he had suppressed at the thought that she hated him.

 

She sighed through her nose and looked down on her phone that she thought she had lost. She didn’t get the chance to spy on Darie and she wasn’t in the mood to. Besides, Darie isn’t calling her anyway. She wondered if she is feeling nostalgic as she did at that moment. She felt like her life turned a little bit more dramatic lately. Is Darie’s soul taking over her body?

 

A knock on her door sounded and she turned her head to look at her mom standing on her bedroom door. Her mom looked contrite but Sandie ignored her and turned her attention back on looking out through the window. It’s already turning dark, maybe around 6 or 7.

 

“Can I come in?” Her mother asked.

 

“It’s your house,” Sandie answered.

 

She heard her mother sigh before entering her room and going over to her. Her mom bit her lip before sitting down on the edge of the seat, near Sandie’s foot. “I’m sorry,” her mother apologized. Sandie glanced at her mom. Her hair looked dishevelled and her face looked stressed. “I was just too worried. I’m afraid I had become too paranoid everytime….” Her mom exhaled loudly before looking at Sandie. “I didn’t said all those things to mean that I am mistaking you for Darie. I was worried about you and… it was wrong of me to compare you with Darie. I know you girls are all grown up now and you can make decisions of your own but sometimes… those nightmares come back.” Her mother’s eyes became distant as she recalled those memories that made her this way. “I open your bedroom and you girls are both gone. Then I hear the phone ringing, a voice threatening to hurt both of you. I see Darie and the image of her little body mangled and how… I feel so helpless because I can’t know if you are safe with your father or… if Darie would’ve been safer with him… those what ifs… I just… I have all these regrets and….” Her mom shook her head as if to clear some of those nightmares away. “I kept thinking about all the things that have happened and could’ve happened. And all I think is… you girls are probably better off with your dad and I wished I had never taken Darie. She would probably be safer. She would still be whole. She would still be like you. And all it takes is just one second. A second of a chance for whoever is out there to get your father to get you. And i don’t think I would be able to live with myself if I see you broken too.”

 

“Darie is not broken,” Sandie firmly said looking at the distraught face of her mom. “At least not anymore. She’s no longer ten. And Darie needs some space to grow instead of being inside your restrictions. We all have our nightmares, mom. It’s not just you.”

 

Her mom scooted closer to her, unshed on her eyes as she lifted her hands and brushed Sandie’s hair daintily. “I know, baby,” she whispered tearfully. “Forgive my motherly paranoia. I just… I don’t have legions of fighters like your father. I have to do whatever I can to protect you and I’m afraid I had gone a little overboard.”

 

“A little?” Sandie repeated wryly. She watched her mother smile and Sandie was definite she doesn’t need to know about her fear of the dark. And how she came to fear the dark. Her mother had enough nightmares to live with and she doesn’t need to know about Sandie’s own nightmares. “I can protect myself, mom.”

 

“You are so much like your father. Really stubborn.” Her mother patted her hand. “I am proud of you, Sandie.”

 

“Well, I’m proud of myself too,” Sandie muttered and she could feel all her earlier irritation at her mother fade completely. Actually, all of those hidden resentment she had for her mother came flying out of her before she knew it and she realized she really do miss having a mother. Or having her mother.

 

“I love you, baby.” Her mother stood up and kissed her at the top of her head before looking at her again. “I may not have been there to tell you that while you’re growing up but I hope you know that. And there is so much I wanted to tell you… during the course of the divorce….”

 

“I know, mom,” Sandie said. “Dad told me you tried to get custody of us but the judge only granted each of you a twin. You took Darie, dad took me. It’s easier for me to hate you than miss having you around.” Her mom’s eyes glistened with tears again but Sandie let out a chuckle to distract her. “What do you know, I really could’ve turned out like Darie and Darie would be me right now.”

 

“I don’t believe so,” her mom said after a moment of trying to compose herself. “You have always been like this even when you were little. And Darie has always been like that. Regardless, you girls are unique individuals and I couldn’t be more proud. You acting as Darie would not change the fact that you are Sandie. So if things are getting harder for Sandie to deal with, go back to being who you really are. And I hope your sister knows this too.”

 

Sandie watched her mom wondering if she had any idea about her confusing feelings for the boy her sister is inlove with. “I can handle being Darie… at least until the bitter end of this condition. I don’t know about Darie but I’m guessing she’s sticking it out there too.”

 

“Well, whatever your grandfather is giving out to you, I hope it’ll be worth it. But I’m really glad he did this.” Her mom kissed again at the top of her head and demanded that she go have dinner which Sandie reluctantly agreed even if she wasn’t really hungry. It was awkward to have that conversation, close to a heart-to-heart one, with her mother, but it felt good to talk to her. Even if she kept a lot of things from her. Her mother doesn’t need to know what happened when she was little. Even her father doesn’t know her trauma so it’s just fair. And the last thing she wanted is to either have her mom crying or get on another world war with her father.

 

Dinner with her mom made her feel nostalgic though and there’s a big part of her that wished Darie and her dad could be here having dinner too. She didn’t realized how much she missed her dad. Or Darie even if she’s pissing her off all the time. She missed her friends, the Tigers. She missed YG High. Hell, she missed butting heads with that arrogant jerk GD Kwon too. She missed everything she is and yet there’s a small part of her that wished she could stay a liitle bit longer as Darie.  Darie’s friends are nice. Fighting with a dumb blonde is fun. And spending time with—. She shook her head. No, she should not go there. There’s an expiration date for this drama. She cannot fool herself into thinking this could actually work. For a minute, she considered calling Darie and admitting her problem. Her sister is so smart maybe she could advise her how to get over it really fast. Yeah right. She would probably be screaming at me for stabbing her in the back.

 

“Is there something wrong?” Her mom noticed her sudden silence.

 

Sandie laid her spoon on the table. “Nothing. I’m just… gonna take a walk.”

 

“Do you want me to walk with you?”

 

“Oh god, mom, no!” A look of horror settled on her features. Having her mother walk beside her while she’s ruminating the complexities of her sudden feelings for her sister’s dream guy? Uh, no thanks!

 

Her mom chuckled at her reaction. “Alright, I understand.”

 

Sandie left in haste in case her mother thought of another way for a mother-daughter bonding. She pulled her hood up and tucked her hands inside the pockets of her hoodie as she walked outside breathing the night air. She had never really walked around this subdivision since she got here. It seems pretty quiet. And nice.

 

All the houses in here looked so homely and cozy. Flowery gardens seemed to be mandatory around here with those lights illuminating its beauty. Psssh. Her father’s house at the hill is slightly isolated and all glass and marble. As far as she can remember, she had never met any neighbor. The closest neighbor her father probably had is a 30-minute drive away.

 

She didn’t realized how far she had walked while trying to empty her mind from worries even when they keep pressing on with every step. She bit her lip when she saw the familiar path towards Donghae’s house and her mind instantly replayed what he told her earlier in school.

 

I like you, Darie.

 

She exhaled loudly. Who would’ve thought Sandie Park would go through love woes? It’s ludicrous to think she, the future leader of the Tigers, is now mooning over some rigid guy who likes the girl he thinks is Darie Park. What would he do if he found out he had been played? What would he do if he found out the girl who had acted so crazy for the past week is Darie’s twin? The twin hailed up by his gangster father. The twin who doesn’t give a damn about grades or academic achievements. The twin who is in the exact opposite of the Darie Park he knew.

 

The twin who is more compatible with his style than Sandie Park could ever be.

 

Sandie burrowed her hands deep into the pocket of her hoodie as she suddenly felt desolated at the thought that Donghae would hate her for deceiving him. He could forgive Darie but Sandie? With all the things Sandie had done, even she won’t forgive herself if she found out she had been played. Big time.

 

How complicated life is to suddenly turn the game and hit you in the face to let you know there is no winning end?.

 

She inhaled deeply, then with determined steps, marched towards the direction of Donghae’s house. Okay, she will tell him now. the inheritance. Then she halted in her step. Okay, maybe not totally throw the inheritance away. She still wanted to know what it is. Maybe she could ask Donghae to keep it a secret.

 

Hi Donghae. I just wanted to let you know I’m actually Darie’s twin who has been playing you for a fool for the last couple of weeks because of an inheritance we are waiting to receive and the condition is that no one knows I’m actually not Darie Park. Can you keep it a secret? Sandie scowled. Yeah right.

 

“Arrrrgh!” She paced back and forth like an idiot while her confusing mind is trying to come up with a decision. It’s just not about the inheritance. It’s about everything! Donghae, Darie, herself….  This temporary life she’s living has put her under more stress than in all of her seventeen years combined.

 

She stopped her pacing staring straight ahead then shoulders falling, she turned in the opposite direction of where Donghae’s house is. Yeah, she could be a coward just this time. With all the things running in her head, she had no doubt she would make a mess out of every word that will come out of . Maybe she could just continue with this pretense and not let Donghae know. Darie would be back and she could continue what Sandie had left off.

 

Clean. No complications. No questions. No hate.

 

Just a small secret that she and her sister shared.

 

Sandie turned and saw see a lighted court from a distance. She could hear the faint dribble of a ball and her feet followed the sound, taking charge over the chaos in her brain. Only half of the court was lighted by the light posts and Sandie could see a male form playing ball. She stopped as she watched the player shoot the ball inside the rim then running over to get it and dribbling again. It took a minute before Sandie’s brain recognized him.

 

Donghae was wearing a black sweatsuit, his hair drenched from sweat completely focused on his own game as he used a crossover dribble then did a fade away shot. It circled the rim before going over the side and Donghae jogged to get the ball again.

 

Sandie watched him, her hands still in the pockets of her hoodie. She just watched him because hell, it’s giving her all these fluttering feeling even if there’s a certain hollowness that is in the pit of her stomach. If it’s mere coincidence that she had managed to find him here after she had decided not to go to his house and tell him the truth, maybe it’s a coincidence that is meant to happen so she could tell him the truth. Fate is not giving her a way out.

 

She exhaled softly as Donghae missed the shot for the fourth time and she entered the court, her steps slow and lazy as if she is not hiding an ugly truth from him and is about to tell him at any given second.

 

Donghae was about to take a three pointer when he saw a shadow moving towards the court at his peripheral vision and he dropped the ball with a start. “Holy crap!” His heart was palpitating at the thought that there’s a non living thing approaching him.

 

“Holy crap?” A familiar voice repeated sounding amused and wry at the same time and he finally recognized Darie when she took her hood off her head and the light illuminated her face.

 

Donghae exhaled loudly then laughed. “You gave me a heart attack. I thought you were an evil apparition.”

 

Sandie walked over to the ball that is bouncing on her way and picked it up. “You know, somebody should’ve told me our president is a scaredy cat.” She started dribbling the ball.

 

“I was just startled,” Donghae defended himself. “You could’ve made a sound instead of suddenly appearing like a phantom crawling out of the dark.”

 

“I wasn’t crawling,” Sandie said before making an aim for the rim. “You in this game, by the way.” She shoot the ball and it came right inside the hoop without touching the rim. Donghae turned to her with wide surprised eyes. Sandie waggled her eyesbrows at him.

 

“I never knew you could play,” Donghae said picking the ball up. “Let alone shoot a ball. I thought you just wanted to participate when you joined the basketball tryouts.”

 

“Well, there are a lot of things you didn’t know about me,” Sandie said quietly.

 

Donghae chuckled as he started dribbling. “Then tell me now.”

 

Sandie stared at Donghae smiling. Yes. It would be the time. Tell him you are not Darie Park. “That I could beat your in a one-on-one.” She smirked even while her mind is berating herself for being such a wuss. She took a challenging stance in front of him and Donghae chuckled.

 

“Are you sure you’re arm is okay to play this?” He asked. “Beating me won’t be easy.”

 

“Please,” Sandie said. “I could beat you even with an injured arm and leg.”

 

“I’ll take that as a yes.”

 

For about the next 30 minutes, they played basketball by which Sandie was able to score more points than him by cheating. Donghae is always doing a three pointer. This jerk was good at it and she had to do all sorts of cheating style she could come up with to prevent him from shooting. Donghae just put both of his hands in hips shaking his hed as she had managed to pinch him in the ribs when he was about to shoot, stole the ball and did a lay up.

 

She wiped the sweat off her forehead with the sleeves of her shirt, strands of her hair that came loose from her ponytail stuck on her cheeks.

 

“You’re pretty good,” Sandie said.

 

“You’re pretty good yourself,” Donghae said grinning. “In cheating.”

 

“I was just playing. I’m not really serious,” Sandie said. She passed to ball to him. Donghae caught it but let it stay in his hand.

 

“You skipped your last classes,” Donghae suddenly said. “Is it because of me?”

 

“No,” Sandie denied then thought better of it. “Yes. Well, a little.”

 

Donghae nodded before starting to dribble the ball again. “Do you want me to apologize?”

 

“Do you want to apologize?” Sandie asked back.

 

“For scaring you, I would.”

 

“You didn’t scare me.” Then she sighed loudly. “Okay, maybe a little. But not in the way you think.”

 

Donghae took aim and shoot. He missed and Sandie frowned. “How come you can’t get it in when you practice but you do when you start playing?”

 

“Competitiveness, I guess,” Donghae answered. “I can focus better when I’m against someone.”

 

Sandie rolled her eyes. “Right. Why am I not surprised.” She picked up the ball this time. “Do you always play here?”

 

“Only when I’m thinking hard about something.”

 

“What? How to be president of the country once you graduated?” She took aim and shoot. It missed too. Donghae took the ball and dribbled it lazily.

 

“No, that’s too much work.” He grinned as he took a shot. It went in. “Actually, I was thinking of ways on how I could get you to remove that self-dating ban and say yes.”

 

Sandie’s smile froze before it fell off her face as she watched Donghae watching her intently. The ball skidded to a stop under the bench near the bushes and silence enveloped them. She swallowed hard. This is it. Tell him.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter