Chapter 17

She's My Girl
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

If you don’t want to respect me as your father, respect me as your leader.

 

I am not asking you to marry the Tiger’s daughter. I’m telling you to marry the Tiger’s daughter. She is the future leader of her clan as much as you are.

 

Don’t fool around with Kim Taeyeon. Don’t make me say it again.

 

Do you really want to see me at my worst, Jiyong? You have no idea to what lengths I had gone through to establish our name in the Society and I’m not going to stop now. Do you understand me?

 

“Yo! You here?”

 

GD blinked and found Taeyang sniggering as he waved his hand in front of him. He must’ve zonked out for too long.

 

He had originally wanted to hang out with the guys in the Recreation Unit inside the school to forget about what happened with his dad last night but apparently, his mind keeps replaying the part when his dad practically threatened Taeyeon’s life if this stupid union didn’t go through. And his anger is pounding on him again and again as he recalls his father’s words.

 

GD threw the pool stick on the table. “Trouble with my old man,” he told Taeyang. SeungRi, Daesung, and TOP are the only ones there playing pool.

 

“What’s new?” TOP said who was sitting on the stool playing with his phone. “I have trouble with my old man everyday.”

 

“Is that why you’re turning into a loner nowadays?” Daesung asked GD with a chuckle. GD plopped donw on the couch with huff but didn’t respond.

 

“They are meeting the Elder,” Taeyang told them making a shot on the pool. “At least that’s what I heard.”

 

“Woah? Really?” Daesung said looking shocked. “Your engagement is pretty quick. Meeting with the Elder for the union is like… too final.”

 

“It’s going to be tonight, right?” TOP asked looking at GD.

 

GD took a second to understand what TOP asked and he snapped out of his sullen stupor to gawk at him. “What?!”

 

TOP chuckled at the look of widened horror on GD’s face. “That’s what dad told me earlier this morning. Said the members should be at The Hollow tonight at eight for the Elder’s blessing of the Union.” The Hollow is the place where the Society held its formal gatherings, meetings, anything that has anything to do with the Society.

 

“What the ,” GD muttered, his brows creased. And he thought he would have time to wait until the real Sandie Park gets back. They will still be married, he had no doubt about that but at least it probably won’t happen until after ten years or something. Darie Park had sped this up too fast. Before he left last night, it was just meeting the Elder. Now it’s meeting the Elder for the Union with the Society. This is worse than the formal engagement.

 

“Where the hell have you been?” TOP asked GD looking amused. “I thought you and your parents went to the Parks to discuss that?”

 

GD suddenly stood up. “I’ll catch you guys later.” He needed to talk to Darie Park. Goddamit. This is getting more messed up. He had left the Park’s house last night when he had received a message from Taeyeon asking if they could meet. She is at the park where they had used to play when they were little. Seeing that his dad forced him to ride in the car with them, he had to walk to get to that park. Taeyeon was sitting by the swing alone in the brightly lit park. Some people were hanging around but they all minded their own business. She looked more beautiful than he had last seen her. But the conversation they had is not something he wanted to participate in and he regretted meeting her.

 

“Sandie Park is a really nice person. I think you two would hit it off. Eventually.” Taeyeon chuckled at that when they were both sitting on the swing now and their conversation turned into the Tigers and the Dragons’ union. Taeyeon is not ignorant of his and Sandie’s animosity towards each other and she is obviously amused by it.

 

GD just stared into a distance without answering. He heard Taeyeon sigh softly.

 

“If… things had been different…,” Taeyeon said in quiet tone. “I know that you would be with me and… I would be with you. That’s actually the reason why I came back but… well… things happened. My dad told me and I’d rather be happy for you than… be miserable over something that is not in our control.”

 

“Why did you asked me to meet you?” GD asked still looking at an empty space.

 

Taeyeon looked at his profile. “You’re binded by your responsibility to the Society. I’m binded by the debt we owe to the Society. To your father.” She paused before continuiing. “This is my goodbye, GD. I just want to tell you that before I leave.”

 

“That’s bull,” GD whispered but Taeyeon heard it.

 

“What is?” Taeyeon tried to joke. “My goodbye?”

 

“Everything.” He turned his head to face him. “Your goodbye and this ing rule of the Society. Did dad threatened you to leave?”

 

Taeyeon avoided his eyes. “He just talked to my dad.”

 

“And he told him to leave.”

 

“He just told my dad it’s a good time to stay in the US for a while.”

 

GD gritted his teeth. His father is already starting.

 

 

GD didn’t know how many hours he had been in the park fuming over his dad. Even after Taeyeon kissed him at the top of his head before leaving, he stayed seated at the park. And by the time he got home, his dad’s cronies had dragged him to his father’s office and his father giving out that threat. GD just stood there livid, unable to speak. He had no doubt his father could do exactly as he said.

 

His father’s words ran through his mind again as he went to the ground floor by the stairs.

 

No, it wasn’t a threat, he corrected himself.

 

It was a warning.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“You’re meeting the Elder for his blessing of the union tonight?”

 

Darie blinked at CL who practically had her eyes popping out as she sat down across from her at lunch. For a minute she was stuck. “What?” Her brain is going completely incognito nowadays.

 

“You’re meeting the Elder for the union,” CL repeated. CL is the only person who had joined her for lunch as the rest of Sandie’s friends got called to the Principal’s office for whatever trouble they had caused. At least that’s what she heard when she was sitting next to Bom complaining about it. “So it’s really official?”

 

It took time for Darie to process what CL is saying. Oh. The meeting with the elder. That was what her dad and GD’s parents are talking about though she wasn’t really listening after GD left. “Yeah, we’re meeting the Elder.” Whoever that Elder is. She figured this Elder is someone important.

 

“Woah,” CL said looking stupefied. “I didn’t know you were really serious. The whole school is buzzing about you guys meeting the Elder. I can’t believe you’re going to commit yourself to GD for… the rest of your life. I thought you’re just playing around when you said you liked him.” She chuckled. “You really do know how to get your man. Imagine not having a relationship with anybody but GD Kwon? Wow.”

 

Darie’s brows furrowed. She didn’t know what’s so amazing about that. “It’s just an engagement,” Darie said. “Made by our family. It’s not like… we’re going to get married immediately or something.”

 

CL’s forehead creased as she regarded Sandie with a puzzled look. Sandie looked so relaxed and chill sitting in her seat, though there were times she was spacing out. CL figured it is probably because of the responsibility that will be ed to her once she graduated that made her so distracted. And probably trying not to take the Union seriously because Sandie knows exactly what it means by meeting the Elder for the union. It means there’s no going back. They will be tied for life. The rest of the Tigers were actually surprised that meeting the Elder for the union is this fast. They thought it’ll happen during or after college but hey. Since GD and Sandie agreed, who are they to question it.

 

CL just disregarded what Sandie said and shrugged taking a sip of her apple juice. “What did you tell Taeyeon?”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“About the union. You know, you’re friends with her and you know Taeyeon returned to get GD back.”

 

Darie felt her back stiffen and took a moment before she was able to speak. “Get GD back?” She repeated.

 

“Yeah. I mean, they were an item when we’re in gradeschool until something happened to Taeyeon’s family and they had to leave. GD was pretty messed up that time, from what I remember and you made fun of him and… he sort of taken it really hard which is the reason why he hated you.”

 

Darie just stared at CL suddenly feeling like something is pinning her chest. “They were together?”

 

CL seemed oblivious on Darie’s reaction as she checked her phone. “I think you might want to get your head checked. You seem to be forgetting a lot of things lately. But yup. Since grade school. There were talks of marriage when they come of age until GD’s father became the leader of the Dragons and your father became the Tiger’s and Taeyeon’s father getting mixed up with some drug lords.” She chuckled. “Your history is like a movie or something. Too complicated. Anyway.” CL looked at her. “You probably already know but I’m gonna tell you again anyway just in case you are forgetting it. Don’t get your hopes up on GD Kwon. You know, he’s just doing this for Kim Taeyeon. There were talks about his father threatening GD about Kim Taeyeon but not really sure. But I mean, he’s a Triad Leader, of course it could be true which is the reason why GD is probably not making a fuss about this union and meeting the Elder but him always sulking is evident that he really doesn’t want to. So if you really like him just… don’t get your hopes up too high because he’s still in love with Kim Taeyeon and obviously not over her if he had been spotted with her at a park last night.”

 

The pin in her chest became a pain now at what CL just told her and suddenly it all made sense to her. God, she was really stupid. And so dense. She recalled the first time she met Taeyeon at the Kwon’s den and GD looking so angry about her being there. And of course, the reason of GD’s incessant nagging for her to end her revenge.

 

It’s all because of Kim Taeyeon.

 

The girl he’s inlove with.

 

Before her mind can even do a thorough run of events that happened, GD suddenly appeared on her table looking stormy.

 

“Can we talk?” He didn’t wait for an answer and turned, expecting Darie to follow. Darie just watched him suddenly feeling hollow. Then she looked at CL who was watching her with creased brows.

 

“I’ll be back,” she said quietly before following GD. Her steps became heavy and it feels like something is lodged in .

 

GD entered an empty classroom and crossed his arms over his chest. Silence ensued until GD spoke first. Actually, he practically yelled. “What the hell were you thinking?!”

 

Darie looked up at his fuming face and he continued, “Do you even know what the hell you have done?!”

 

“What?” She managed to respond haughtily even though she feels like bursting into tears for some reason.

 

“You agreed meeting with the Elder for his blessing. Tonight!! Are you ing insane?!”

 

“I don’t know what you’re talking about!” She answered with gritted teeth at the way GD is yelling at her.

 

“Of course, you don’t,” GD said. “You don’t know anything about the Society and its rules. Because you are not Sandie Park. You are just a poser.”

 

Somehow, that hurt too. “Yeah, yeah, I’m a poser!” She yelled this time. “What do you want from me?!”

 

“To make you understand the mess you brought into our lives!” GD yelled back. “Meeting the Elder for his blessing is like a finality of this Union. There’s a ing difference between just meeting the Elder with the family and meeting the Elder with the Society. After tonight, it’s as good as being married. We are going to be trained to be the leader. We are going to be treated as one and there is no going back once the Elder gave the sanction!” He looked positively seething. “You manipulated your sister’s life and mine too.”

 

Darie in her breath. She was mostly just agreeing and nodding to everything the parents asked her last night. How the hell is she supposed to know what it meant. “i… I didn’t know….” Maybe that’s why her dad was looking at her with that widened eyes last night but didn’t get a chance to talk to her as they were called somewhere and by the time he got back, she was already asleep. When she got up that morning, she guessed her dad is still asleep.

 

GD was ruthless. “You didn’t know? And you still agreed?! How stupid can you be?!”

 

“I didn’t know, okay!” She yelled feeling angry. “Yes, I’m stupid! I’m an idiot! But you left! You, who knows more about what is going on between my dad and yours, left! I didn’t know anything about the Society but you left me to answer for you! You told them whatever I want so that’s what they did! You didn’t say anyhing! And all because you wanted to rush out to meet Kim Taeyeon!”

 

GD looked surprised at how Darie brought out Taeyeon’s name out of the blue. “Taeyeon has nothing to do with this!”

 

“Taeyeon has everything to do with this! Isn’t that why you’re so mad at me for agreeing for meeting with the Elder for the union? Isn’t that why you’re so against being tied to Sandie even if that’s exactly what will happen inevitably? I don’t even understand why you are so angry when it’s going to happen sooner or later! Did you hoped that you would still have time to spend with Kim Taeyeon? Were you counting on Sandie to put her foot down and be the bad guy on this union so you can be free to date Kim Taeyeon?! You can’t even tell anyone I’m a poser. Why? Because you know the real Sandie would be back and she understands what responsibility she has to be your Society’s leader. She might contest the union but you know she will still accept!” She was so angry she doesn’t even know what she’s talking about anymore. Never mind the fact that it had been her intial plan that gone awry.

 

“What the are you talking about?! I’m not telling anyone you’re not Sandie Park because I know your father’s going to be in trouble! That’s my respect to the leader of the Tigers! And I have already kept it silent this far do you think my dad would forgive me for being quiet about this? You are really stupid! And whatever I have with Kim Taeyeon is none of your ing business!”

 

“Yes, it’s not!” That’s what she just yelled back. GD probably waited for her to continue but Darie just stood there with her chest heaving from all the emotional turbulence happening inside her right now.

 

GD shook his head eventually with a scathing look in his eyes before he walked past her and left, slamming the door behind him.

 

Darie’s mouth quivered not wanting to cry and she looked up at the ceiling. What is happening to her? It really hurts her more now. GD’s anger, him and Taeyeon. What CL said about GD agreeing with this sham for Taeyeon. She covered her face with her hand as her tears started. She probably just ignored what she knew all along.

 

Oh god, she’s already inlove with GD Kwon.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Donghae gathered all his books and notebooks that he scattered on the table and put it into his bag trying to remember the formula for Sine and Cosine. He had used Darie’s answers as a guide but it’s mostly thanks to Kyuhyun that he was able to figure out how. He let out a little chuckle. Darie at teaching. He checked his watch and saw that it’s almost time for the basketball pre-trials.

 

Girls Basketball Pre-trials. He still couldn’t believe Darie signed up for all. He really couldn’t understand what that girl is thinking about most of the time. And of course, he wanted to make sure she’s okay. After bringing Darie to the clinic yesterday in a sullen mood, he didn’t get the chance to see her, or at least, apologize for just leaving her alone at the clinic. He should have stayed but he was bothered and irritated to know that Darie did all that yesterday only to piss Jessica off. Does she really consider him a prize to best Jessica? It took a while before his irritation wore off but by the time his meeting with the  Council Advisor had finished, it was already late and she had already gone home.

 

He had hoped to see her at the Student Council Room as he seemed to always find her there the past couple of days but she wasn’t. Since he’s basically free first and second period, he just decided to stay and study the complexities of Trigonometry.

 

He looked at the door when he heard a knock and it opened. He gave a courteous smile.

 

“Hi. Can I come in?” Jessica Jung hesitated on the front door.

 

“Sure,” Donghae answered zipping up his bag. “What can I do for your?”

 

Jessica entered with an uncertain expression on her face which is probably the first time Donghae had ever seen her wear. Jessica Jung looked as fashionable as ever but today, the haughtiness that she usually sports is now absent in her demeanor. Jessica stopped in front of him before looking at his face.

 

“I know this is gonna be really weird but…” She hesitated before continuiing. “I just… want to know something.” Donghae waited for her to continue but she remained silent as she studied his face. Donghae just nodded his head to urge her to continue whatever she came here for. “Do you like Darie?”

 

The question made Donghae blinked at her in surprise. Okay, that wasn’t really what he expected. He thought she was here to ask about a homework or school issues. He opened his mouth to respond in the negative. To deny it. But no words came out.

 

“I know it’s none of my business,” Jessica continued searching his face. “But I just want to know.” She let out a shaky, nervous laugh. “I know you see me as spoiled and… rotten and mean and…. I know that’s what everyone thinks. And I know that’s what I am.” She shook her head slightly before looking at him again. “I like you, Donghae. I really like you. Since we were kids. And I have done everything I can to make you notice me. To make you like me. And it’s just so unfair that you started to like Darie when she did nothing but ignored you before!  I saw you yesterday. I saw the look on your face as you watched her. That… concern and….“ Jessica looked like she wanted to rant and cry at the same time. “Why?”

 

Donghae just watched her before averting his eyes. Well, his high school life is turning out to be more dramatic than he’d thought. “I don’t know,” he said quietly. Because he really didn’t.

 

Jessica huffed. “She was only getting close to you because she knows I like you. She was only doing that to piss me off.”

 

Donghae let out a small sigh. He knew that, unfortunately. “Look, Jessica….” He d for a more better way to word out what he wanted to say. “…what I feel right now isn’t something I wanted to discuss… with someone and—” His words were cut short when Jessica suddenly pulled him and kissed him on the lips. He was frozen for a second before his mind comprehended what is happening. He broke free of her with his widened eyes and his hands covering his mouth. “What the hell do you think you’re doing?!” He must’ve been hanging out too much with Darie that he begun to talk like her when taken aback.

 

“Kissing you!” Jessica answered taking a step towards him to continue what she is trying to do but Donghae took a step back putting both his hands up in a stop motion making Jessica pause.

 

“This is an inappropriate behaviour,” Donghae said.

 

“There’s no teacher around,” Jessica responded starting to advance towards him and Donghae kept backing up.

 

“I am the school president,” Donghae said. “I follow rules and i don’t condone… students just… taking advantage of me.”

 

“You let Darie take advantage of you all the time,” Jessica said.

 

“One that I already scolded her for.”

 

“But you still let her do it again and again!”

 

“That’s because I like her!” There it is. He already admitted it.

 

Jessica froze at his admission, her face fal

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter