Chapter 1: 041516

Experienced

August 9, 2019, Friday

Bora Yoon was definitely not feeling today. Who starts school on a Friday? Why not just let the students finish the week with summer break instead of starting on a Friday?

"Ridiculous," Bora thought.

Bora's school, Haneul High School, was the only high school that made the students get to school around 7 since class started at 7:10.

"Dumb," Bora, again, thought.

Bora groaned, but ended up getting at 5:50 like the usual. She went to the restroom, brushed her teeth, washed her face, applied lotion, brushed her hair, and went back to her room. It was the same routine over and over again everyday. She put on the clothes that had planned to wear the night before which she did every day.

Exactly at 6:05AM, she walked downstairs to the resting room that was right next to the front door she left through. The bus went to the part of the neighborhood above her at 6:10AM and arrived at her stop sign at 6:15AM, like always. She got on the bus, sat in her regular seat and sighed.

The same thought that always popped up into Bora's head came up again, "Unlike everyone else's life that's spontaneous and fun, my life is boring and just a same routine everyday."

Everyone that Bora knew had something that they were dedicated to outside of just studying, even her best friend of 6 years, Hyojung Kim AKA Hyorin, the "best of Haneul." Hyorin was apart of the track team and was always taking the highest classes every year so they never had classes together. She was smart, cute, funny, outgoing, flirtatious, what wouldn't you like about her? 

Bora wasn't apart of a sports team, she was in two clubs that didn't ever do anything, and only took the medium classes. She was known to be the "charismatic and cool unnie." She took good care of everyone and made sure everyone was in a good mood... only if she liked them. This reputation was only known by her close friends. Others thought she was too straight forward, but she was still loved. Either way, Hyorin was her 'goals.'

Hyorin and Bora also had two other close friends: Jihyun Kang AKA Soyou and Dasom Kim. Altogether they were known as SISTAR, but Hyorin and Bora were known as SISTAR19. They were the 'iest' girls of Haneul.

6:46AM, Bora got off the bus and entered the school. Again, the same thing happened. She sat with her group of not-that-close friends and either slept or kind of talked to them.

Hyeri Lee, the makeup guru of the school, was short and skinny but dangerous. Because she's short, she tries to make herself seem superior by threatening people and seeming like the violent type. It's annoying. Ahyoung Kim AKA Yura, the KPOP maniac of the school, had purple hair and a twin sister: Minah Bang. They're not actually sisters, but since their personalities were so alike everyone just called them twins. They were both super sensitive emotionally and physically. It's annoying. There was another girl apart of their group, Girl's Day, but she was always late so she never got to sit with them. It was Sojin Park, the oldest and the most boring. She never really talked and was really old-fasioned.

Sometimes Hyorin came and joined the group, but most of the time she was already in class, studying for a test she probably had or finishing up a project. The trio was talking about makeup and that was the que for Bora to stop listening to the conversation. She was on her phone just opening the Snapchats that were sent to her that morning, not expecting anything different to happen this morning.

Then she felt someone brush her left should and sit down next to her. She looks to her left and sees a pitch-black haired boy sitting in the seat that Hyorin usually sits in. The trio stopped talking and just watched the boy and Hyorin look at each other with no words coming out.

/Korean/

The boy asked with no emotion on his face, "Can I sit here?"

He was speaking in Korean. That was a sign that he barely knew English, but that was okay here since that was the situation for many of the students and why this school was created. Therefore Bora responded back in Korean.

/Korean/

Bora replied with a slight smile on her face, "Yeah, sure."

Bora turned back and started looking at her phone again. Then Yura tapped Bora like 10 times and Bora looked up with an annoyed look on her face. She wasn't a morning person.

/English/

Yura apologized, "Sorry, but... I just thought the guy was cute. Talk to him!"

Bora smirked, "Is that all you care about? He just wanted to sit, not talk."

"Come on. Just talk to him! Don't you think he's cute? If you don't go for it, I'll go for it."

"Oh my gosh, Yura."

Yura laughed and was about to reply, but the guy cleared his throat. The four turned to him and he held out a piece of paper to them. It was a schedule and he was a new student.

/Korean/

The boy slightly smiled and asked, "Can one of you guys guide me to my first class?"

Minah took the paper and examined it. Minah handed the paper to Bora and she took it, confused.

/Korean/

Minah stated, "His first class is Gifted Biology. Isn't that your first class, Bora?"

Bora looked up at Minah and nods. She hands the paper back to the boy and smiles.

/Korean/

"I can take you to your first class since it's the same as mine. And you have the same lunch as Hyeri since you have gym with her. Just follow her for lunch. After first period, I'll take you to your second block and the gym is that place over there so go there for your third period and fnd Hyeri," Bora instructed for the boy.

He responded, "Thanks, Bora . I'm Jungkook, Jeon Jungkook."

"I guess you know my name since Minah said it. Yeah, I'm Bora , Bora Yoon."

Bora introduced the other three and by the time she finished introducing Minah , the bell rang.

Today was different. Usually when the bell rang, Bora would have to walk to her class upstairs by herself since the others were downstairs. But this time Jungkook was there to keep her company.

/Korean/

As they walked, Bora sturred up conversation, "How long have you been living in America?"

Jungkook thought about it and answered, "I've been living here for about.. 1 year? I was homeschooled for that year so that I could get used to living here."

"So it hasn't even bit that long."

"Yeah, so it's probably going to be kinda hard to adjust."

"Don't worry. The people here aren't that bad. You can hang out with the kids that Hyeri sits with at lunch. I hang out with them, too."

Jungkook smiled and nodded.

They arrived in the class and Bora sat down in her usual seat.

/Korean/

Bora pointed to the desk next to her and called for Jungkook, "This seat's open if you want it."

Jungkook slightly smiled, relieved that Bora reached out for him before he had to ask her. The final bell rang and the teacher walked in. As the announcements that no one listened to came on, Bora walked up to the teacher to inform her about Jungkook.

/English/

Bora pointed to Jungkook and said, "He's a first timer at Haneul and he doesn't know how to speak English. His name Jungkook Jeon."

The teacher thanked Bora and she sat back down. The announcements ended and the teacher stood in front of the class and started speaking.

/English/

The teacher introduced herself, "Hello, I am Mrs. Lee and I will be your gifted biology teacher. I believe you learned biology in freshmen year, but you are now in a more advanced level..."

Bora was translating without looking at Jungkook, but Jungkook was only looking at Bora. She was so pretty when she was focused on something. He couldn't help but stare.