A Legit War on Hormones

Girls Who Like Girls (Who Likes Math)

Krystal and Kai weren’t dating but they were closer than ever before. I was shocked for a moment but she had me understand, school comes work. And she was right. This whole school was literally the war on hormones and I just wanted one girl to be the love of my life. It wasn’t as bad as Kyungsoo’s house but now a lot of girls and guys compliment me and call me pretty, as if I wasn’t before. I don’t even worry about that as much since I have other things to think about like the first game which was coming up in 2 weeks, and Krystal’s competition and classes. I couldn’t play if I couldn’t maintain a C+ and right now, I had an A so there was nothing I really needed to worry about.

 

I was searching for my textbook in my locker. I closed my locker door and Henry had a bouquet of flowers in his hand. I stared at him and he raised his eyebrows in a very weird way.

 

“Can I help you?”

 

“Flowers. I don’t know.”

 

“They look nice.”

 

“They do, don't they. It’s for you.” He gave me the flowers. I gave them to him.

 

“No. Keep them, they go with your eyes.”

 

“But they highlight your eyes better.”

 

“What eyes, I’m a zombie.”  I pulled down my eyes so they look bigger and stuck my tongue out. He had the audacity to hit my head and then shove the flowers into my locker. I put my hands on my hips does he think this is acceptable? He laughed. Same old Henry being the same old stupid.

 

“Same old Amber, you think this is cute?”

 

“I'm not trying to be cute.” He wrapped his arms around me as I stared at him.

 

“Good. I liked it better when you weren't cute.” He said softly and then hit my head. I cringed and hit him back.

 

“So how is your media production group?”

 

“it's alright or something, we just got the okay about putting on Legally Blonde. You should audition-”

 

“You should yourself, try again.”

 

He laughed at me. If anyone knows how much I hated going up on stage and speaking, it's him. I can sing. I can sing in a group, I can play music but to talk? Yea.. no.

 

“Anyways, how's your.. uh.. basketball group?”

 

“You mean us?” I felt an arm wrap around my neck. The hives, the hives! Next to me was Kai, on the other side, hugging my neck Kris. I turned and my whole team was behind me. I facepalmed. Kris pulled me in close and looked at Henry intently.

 

“We're great. We are going to playoffs and what not and we kind of need our captain for practice!” He waved and pulled me away. Everyone else followed. Henry looked towards me again and I was staring at Kris. What kind of is this? I felt like Troy Bolton talking to Gabriella about performing in High School Musical.

 

“So. Amber, assuming that you are coming to the Math Competition saturday, I'll see you then?”

 

“Yea I guess. Bye Henry!” I was being dragged away. As soon as we were far from him, I stared down my team. “Are you all good?”

 

“Protecting our captain, sir?”

 

“Why? You guys never needed to protect me before.” I crossed my arms. I was furious, what was all this special treatment I was getting?

 

Chanyeol stepped up to me and rested his hands on my shoulder. “We know that. But we don’t want anyone trying to take our captain from us. You’re so pretty.. You’ll get a lot of attention. Maybe too much attention. We just care about you.”

 

“You care.. For me?”

 

“Yea.. we’re a team, what do you expect. You’re also our best friend and our leader. And I just want you to know that.”

 

“So what’s the real nature of your reasoning?”

 

“What do you mean?” I shook my head, and sighed and nodded my head. “You’re all like my bros. You’ve always had my been my bros. But, you’re not my dad. I have a dad for that.. Don’t worry about me guys, worry about yourself. When’s the last time, ANY of you had a girlfriend? Or got laid, you bunch of losers. You’re the basketball team, act like a bunch of badasses. And leave this girl alone.” I patted each and everyone of their heads and walked out.

 

Kris followed me. I stopped walking. He stopped walking. I continued and then he continued and when I stopped, he stopped.

 

“You’re dismissed, Kris.” He stopped and blushed. I turned to him and he just stood there silent. Like a giant goofball.

 

“No, Amber.. I really like you...” He sighed softly.

 

“I like Krystal.”

 

“What?” I sighed deeply and looked away from him. “You’re..”

 

“I’m a lesbian.. For.. Krystal.” I shyly sighed.

 

“Wow.. I.. I uh.. I didn’t know.. I guess me breaking up with her was beneficial for you..” He scratched the back of his head and looked down.

 

“Why did you break up with Krystal in the first place?”

 

“Because.. I like you.”

 

“No, seriously.”

 

“No, Amber.. I like you.. When you come out of your lesbian stage.. Can you.. Like think of me?” He started to walked off. I was tempted to scream, being a lesbian isn’t a stage but what would that mean to him? We aren’t in a society where being a lesbian was necessarily acceptable. I looked down. He stopped behind me and then stepped back, hugging me. I hugged him too, I wasn’t sure why.

 

“I’m sorry, being a lesbian isn’t a stage but..”

 

“It’s alright dummy.” I caressed his head.

 

“Oh Amber...” I heard her beautiful voice and I blinked, looking over Kris’s shoulder. She looked at me sadly, as if she was disappointed in me and I wasn't exactly sure why. I then looked at Kris who was guiltily looking at me. I look back and I realize this looked so shady. I was so upset at myself. I set myself up for something bad. It's always me that messes up.

 

 

“Krystal! Hey-”

 

“Amber.. just.. “

 

“Wait no..” I walked towards her. She put her hand up.  

 

“You’re really going after my ex.. And for once I thought you were different..  different from these other girls, Amber..“ She stormed off. I felt so confused and lost.

 

“Krystal, I-I’m...” She was gone. “I’m gay...”

 

“Amber.. I’m so.. Sorry.. I didn’t..” He said quietly. I just shook my head and looked up to him.

 

“It’s fine, I didn’t have anything going for me and her anyways. I’m probably never going to say anything to her. How can I? She’s so pretty, and she’s popular and she’s smart so why would she be remotely interested in me?”

 

“Because.. You’re very pretty and you’re popular with a lot of people too.”

 

“I don’t see how..”

 

“Let me show you how..” And he took my hand.