One of the Guys pt. 2

Girls Who Like Girls (Who Likes Math)

Our definition of a job well done is us sitting in Kai’s house and playing Super Smash Bros 4 on Chanyeol’s Wii U. Kyungsoo in the kitchen making food while we listen to 8 other mouths screaming at each other over mercy and pain and agonizing triumph. Whether you like Ike or Roy was your boy, you were getting Ganoncide at the Hyrule Fight Club and it was the best feeling in the world. Xiumin had his girlfriend Ali in his arms as he was trying to defend his first place title as I tried to knock Leo off the stage with Little Mac. There was a lot of screaming and I looked over to Krystal, I was knocked off the stage due to Little Mac’s ty recovery and went to go grab another water, one for me and one for her.

 

Krystal was playing for Kris as he went to make a phone call. She was using Kirby and I don’t understand how she lasted longer than I did but she was doing her best as her fingers smashed the buttons of the Gamecube remote. I sat next to her and placed a water by her leg. Her skin was so silky and smooth and I wanted to poke her but doing so I knew I was going to get an uppercut to the face.

 

“Your Kirby , Jigglypuff is way better.”

 

“You , go away stupid.” She knocked Leo’s Princess Peach off the stage and went after Xiumin’s Ganondorf. I stared at her, she didn’t even break a sweat. How she still manages to hang on to that one life was astounding. She was astounding. I kept watching her and my cheeks turned red. Why was she so good at everything? She made me feel weird, I wanted to leave. I got up and then picked up by Kris and then tossed onto the couch.

 

“Fight me, dude.”

 

“You really want to go against me again?” I jumped  up and I pounced on him, throwing punches at him. He blocked his face and threw punches as well. It was a regular friday night. He finally got a hold of me as he gripped my arms and pushed me down and punched my .

 

“Ow ow ow okay, you got it, you win.” I cupped my , it legitimately felt like I was bleeding. “Ow ow ow!”

 

“Oh, you punked out.”

 

“No, you hit my !”

 

“Oh yea, I’m sorry, I forgot you’re a little .”

 

“I’m a girl too Kris! Krystal has s too.”

 

“Yea, but hers is bigger. You don’t have-” I tackled him and started punching him repeatedly. He blocked his face and tried to throw me off but it didn’t work. He wasn’t as strong compared to me when I was upset. Little s, big s, they are still the same and they hurt. Chanyeol picked me up and hugged my head. Kris got up and dust himself off as he went to go hug Krystal. I was so upset, I didn’t want him to touch her, he don’t know how to respect girls at all. It got me so upset and it got me even more upset that she’s hugging him up and caressing his face.

 

I was pulled to the side and sat down with Chanyeol. “Are you okay, Amber? How’s your chest?”

 

“It’s fine, it just hurts like crazy though.”

 

“I’m sorry, do you need a band-aid or anything?”

 

I looked away and crossed my arms. “No, I’m fine.” I looked up to him, he looked genuinely sorry and I wasn’t sure why, it wasn’t his fault. But then Chanyeol was a genuinely kind person and hated conflict. “No really, Channie, don’t worry about me.. It’s fine.”

 

“No.. I’m just sorry that..” He bit his lip. “When you got hit, I didn’t realize how much you were a girl. I mean ever since you cut all your hair back in middle school, you act so much like a boy. We nearly forgot you were a girl.”

 

“Eh, happens I suppose. I’m still a girl.”

 

“Yea, I know. At least we know now..”

 

“Huh?” I was confused.. Now he knew and he didn’t know before? Chanyeol went into his pocket and dug out a piece of paper. It was from Henry, my other guy friend. He gave it to me and scratched the back of his head, leaving me alone to read it. I opened up the letter.

 

Henry was my first friend back in elementary school and we’ve been friends ever since. But since I made it on the men’s basketball team, we barely talk, we barely hang out and we haven’t done much together. He started acting funny towards me as well. I never understood why but if friends want to act temporary, they’ll be temporary. I opened up the letter. I don’t see why he couldn’t just text me.

 

Amber Josephine Liu,

    I’m not texting or emailing you because I don’t want you to reply to me right away. I want you to read this and let it sink in. I know 3 years ago we used to be best friends and then we dropped off the face of the earth.  I want to apologize for that because it was mostly my fault. We were friends and I just had to think but now I know, Amber Liu, I love you. Like I love you.. It took a while but now I’m sure, I want to be with you. So would you be my date for the upcoming junior prom?  

 

                                    Henry Lau

 

I texted him right away, he said he wanted it to let it simmer but I already came up with the executive decision. What kind of was that? I made sure I let the point simmer in his head as I took the time to text this intricate letter to him.

 

No. -Amber Liu.

 

“So who are you going to junior prom with?” The voice of the secret love my life sent chills up my spine. I kept it cool but inside I wanted to scream YOU, pick her up and spin her around and kiss her several times.

 

“I’m not sure, I have someone in mind already.” I turned to her and my cheeks were red again. She was always so pretty and she smelled nice all the time. I looked away. “Did Kris ask you yet?”

 

“No, he’s dumb and just expects that we are going together. It’s gonna be a shame when he sees me with someone else, slow dancing to Justin Bieber.” She laughed. “Is your chest okay, stupid? You’re not a guy y’know you need to care for your assets. “

 

“Yea I know, some of the guys don’t realize that. I’m a girl sometimes.”

 

“Maybe because you act too much of a guy, we should do a makeover.”

 

“You’re not changing me with your gross make up and tight clothes.”

 

“It’ll look good on you, you have a cute .”

 

“No- wait what?”

 

“You have a cute .”

 

“You’ve been staring at my ?”

 

“No, stupid... god you’re so dumb. I was just analyzing you.” She crossed her arms and rolled her eyes. “But yea, you’d look really cute with some blue undertones.”

 

“No.”

 

“Please~?”

 

“No.”

 

“Amberrrrrrrr~”

 

“Fine!” She threw her arms around me and I hesitantly hugged her back, smelling her perfume. She was pretty like a girl.. But I’m pretty too.. Like a guy. I don’t know.. This girl thing isn’t for me but I know I’m a female. It’s hard to explain.

 

She let go and flicked my head. “I’m going home earlier with Kris.”

 

“Is he going to give you the big daddy Wu ?”

 

“Ugh what? Not ever!” She said in disgust, as she adjusted her jacket, pulling down the sleeves, “I have to study for the math competition. You should study with me too, it’ll be a math study date.”

 

“You’re the worst girlfriend.” I laughed, and scratched my head. “Besides the guys and I were going to practice for the first game of the playoff season. Hopefully we’ll win and go to regionals but, we can only dream.”

 

“You’re such a guy..” She laughed as well and hugged my neck. “Bye stupid.”

 

“Bye Princess.” I waved and turned away. I let go of my breath and hyperventilated. Me, her... studying.. Oh my goodness.. A date, a study date.. Why did I have to be so “cool” for? I could’ve! Ugh so frustrating! But ball is life.. I guess in a way, I am guy-ish.