One of the Guys

Girls Who Like Girls (Who Likes Math)

My first and only love’s name is Soojung. Chrystal Soo Jung. She is also my best friend. The one thing you want to avoid is falling for your best friend and I wish someone would’ve told me that sooner, but would I had listen? Possibly not, because if I can fall for her.. I would fall for her again and again and again. She’s perfect. She’s smart, she’s pretty, she’s funny and her smile makes my heart flutter. And she’s my best friend.

 

And did I mention she was my best friend?

 

I couldn’t stress how much I keep her in my possession. I couldn’t even start to explain how much I love and care for her. Despite the fact she bullies me, I’m pretty sure she feels the same. At least I hope so.

 

The first time we met was in the gym. I was playing basketball with the guys on the team.

 

“Amber, Amber!”  One of the guys shouted my name out. One of the players, Kai, passed the ball to me, I dribbled it and made the 3 pointer. My team, Kai, Taemin, Minho and Xiumin cheered as we won against Kris, Chanyeol, Leo, Tao and Kyungsoo. They were proud of me and Kai carried me on his shoulders as we hit the lockers. As we turned, my eyes gazed upon the beauty, slender, pale, adorable Krystal. Her black high waisted skirt and her black turtleneck crop top. She was like the apple to my eye and I couldn’t peel away from her. She looked up to me and waved. I couldn’t believe that she noticed me! I was flabbergasted by the feeling, but the feeling could’ve been more towards the fact that I hit my head on the pole and fell off of Kai’s arms onto the ground. I swore the little birds flew over my head as I was trying to power through my oncoming concussion as they all looked over me, Chanyeol coming to my aid, all I can think about how pretty Krystal was.

 

“You’re so dumb, are you okay?” Krystal crossed her arms and looked down at me. Kai helped me up and I stood in front of her. Kris had his arm around her waist as she smiled and wiggled her fingers in a goodbye, leaving.

 

“Bye stupid.”

 

Yes.. I was stupid.. Stupidly in love with her.

 

“Amber, Amber.. Are you good? “ Taemin pat my back. “Shake it off, shake it off.”

 

“Is that Kris’s girlfriend of the week?”

 

“Of the month actually. The month before it was her sister.”

 

“Jessica?”

 

“Yea...”

 

“Oh wow.. She’s pretty... like really pretty.” I scratched the back of my head and shook it off. Kris was very lucky he was so handsome, because if it was me, she would’ve already been mine. I sighed softly as we all walked into the locker room. As we walked in, Xiumin pressed his hand onto my head and pushed me into the girl’s locker room. I can honestly say that if I wasn’t paying attention, I’d walk into there as well.

 

“Why not Xiumin, we are all men here.”

 

“No, you’re a female.”

 

“I wasn’t a female when you body slammed me into the ground.”

 

“It’s complicated, you got.” He motioned to his chest and his crutch and then motion to my chest and my crotch. “It’s weird.. Yknow.”

 

“I don’t understand.”

 

“You’re a girl.. You have a vah-gin-ah! We have a pee-nus!” Taemin poked my nose and walked in. The whole middle school team went into the boys locker room, leaving me behind. I was confused. Was I a boy.. Or was I a girl? I looked down at my chest and held onto my s, it wasn’t much but I have something there. It doesn’t matter to me anyways, I just knew one thing at that moment. I liked Krystal Jung.

 

🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟


 

“Amber, Amber!”

 

“I’m open!” I ran behind Kris and he passed the ball to me. I jumped up and I dunked the ball into the hoop at the last second and scored the point.

 

“YES!”

 

“You go Liu.” Taemin high-fived me as we ran into the rest of the group, celebrating our win. We laughed and high-fived each other. Coach Seo came at us and patted our heads and smiled.

 

“Nice job making it into playoffs. Minseok, nice defensive play, you really hung in there, Kris work on your passing skills, Amber nice throws, we still at it with the 99% successive point rate.”

 

“Yes!”  I smiled and turned to the other members. As their captain, I was in charge of giving the congratulatory speech. We made the playoffs, this was amazing for us. All season, we worked so hard but I couldn’t think. My eyes went out to the crowd and there she was, a pretty figure, standing out from the crowd. Her body filled out the jeans she was wearing nicely and she was wearing one of those varsity jackets with a white crop top. Krystal Jung. She’s so pretty and sweet.

 

“Over here Liu. Over here.”

 

“Oh right,” I cleared my throat. “Guys, WE DID IT!”  They all cheered. “Get the hell out of here, you stinkin animals!” I laughed as they picked me up again and took me into the locker room. I turned and saw Krystal and fell off of Kai’s shoulders.

 

“Congratulations stupid, on getting into playoffs.” I heard as I open my eyes and she towered over me, her hand stuck out for me to grab onto it. I took her hand and got up and scratched her head.

 

“I have a name, y’know.”

 

“Yea, it’s stupid.” She giggled as we walked into the locker room, separate from the males. I mocked her, laughing and she hit my head.

 

“Ow, ow, I already have a slight concussion, stop your abuse, this isn’t fair.”

 

“Life’s not fair, you have to be careful or you’ll really damage your dense skull.”

 

“Yea, yea.” I changed out of uniform and stepped into the shower. She followed me to the stalls with my clothes in her hands. She stood outside and leaned on the wall.

 

“Why don’t you ever join me in the showers” I snickered, teasing her. She slipped her hand into the stall and slapped my arm. I grimaced and giggled.

 

“I’m not getting into the shower with you. I’m not getting my hair wet.” She yelled from the other side.

 

“You’re such a priss.”

 

“You’re such a dude.”

 

“Fight me.”

 

“Come here”

 

“I’m showering.”

 

“Then shut up.” I can feel her grinning from ear to ear. She made me blush as I stared into the stall. After a couple seconds of silence, I turned off the shower and took the towel off the rack to dry my hair. She turned to me and crossed her arms.

 

“I went to your game, now you got to come to my competition.”  Krystal said with such confidence. Krystal was captain of her mathematics team. Not only was she beautiful, she also was very smart and led our school’s team into the county wide math competition for the last 2 years. This year would be the third in which she would win the title and my third time watching her be the best mathematician she could be. Her team was called F(x) which also means a function. Her team was a function persay of people who can do a job properly.

 

“You didn’t even come for me, you came for Kris.”

 

“But I’m with you.”

 

“Because you can’t go into the male’s locker room.”

 

“I’ve done it before.”

 

“And they kicked you out.”

 

“Well, I’m here now, you’re going to my competition and you’re going to like it.” She smiled and pat my head.

 

“Fine, fine, fine” I hugged her waist and smiled as I went to put on my hoodie and my sweats.

 

“You better come and you have to cheer me on, and I want posters saying I love you Krystal, You’re the best! I Less that 3 You. and I want a bouquet of flowers for when I win, again.”

 

“You’re positive you’re going to win this time?”

 

“I’m more than positive.. Just like when you were positive before you played that you were going to win.”

 

“Then where’s my sign and bouquet of flowers?” I crossed my arms as I adjusted my foot in my sneakers. She bent down and looked into my eyes and gave me a kiss on my cheek. My face turned red and I pushed her away slightly.  

 

“I couldn’t get flowers so I thought a congratulatory kiss would be better.” She smiled, “Don’t think you’re getting another one.”

 

“Why would I ever do that, princess?” I smirked as we walked out of the locker room. She bumped into me. Kris smiled and picked Krystal up and hugged her. 3 years now since they’ve been together. 3 years and we’re all juniors in high school. A lot has happened in 3 years.

 

“Party at my house guys~” Kai waved as we all made our way to his house. The whole team, the guys and me. Kai and Taemin wrapped their arms around my shoulder and we started singing the whole way to Kai’s house. We were loud, we were rowdy and we were rambunctious but we were teens. Hormonal, crazy teens. And as I look back, past Chanyeol and his girlfriend Ty, and Xiumin and Ali, all my eyes can see was Krystal Jung, my best friend and my first crush. I believe life would be so much better if I was much more girlier, or I had a thing for boys. But I was just one of the guys and being a girly girl is not my style.