Your Drink Got Cold, So I Ordered Another One For You

The Nobody
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 16

* * *

 

Jungkook’s POV

Hoseok and Yoongi had asked if I would like to come over today, but I’d declined. My mind’s not exactly in a stable place right now, what with the cupboard incident involving Jimin, and I think it’d help me a lot more if I spend the day with myself, clearing my thoughts.

“Mom, I’m going out,” I say, ruffling Jihyun’s hair as I walk past her.

“With your friends?” she asks, smiling. Mom’s been ecstatic since I’ve started the school year- for the first time in my life I have actual friends, who’re older than me and actually like me, a girlfriend, and I’m still managing to hold up good grades. She’s not used to seeing me like this. What she doesn’t know about is the torturous burden of falling in love with Park Jimin that I have on my shoulders. But it’s not like I’m going to be telling her about that anytime soon.

“No, I’m just going for a walk,” I say, pulling on a long, dark grey coat, black patent boots and a red scarf. It’s freezing outside and there’s a thin layer of snow spread across the ground.

“Okay, but don’t freeze to death, okay?” she says, walking back into the kitchen. I laugh, she’s in a good mood. I’m glad. I know that there’s going to be a meeting here at our houser later on in the day with all the high-ups from Mom’s company, and she woke up at five this morning to start cooking. Crazy, but she’s a complete control freak.

 

I shove my hands in my pocket and step out, enjoying the bitterly cold but refreshing breeze. The whole world seems still, peaceful. It’s only five thirty on a winter Sunday morning, and there isn’t a car in sight. The only sound present is that of my boots crunching against hardening snow. As much as making friends has showed me that I love being in the company of people, love the thrill and excitement of parties and endless chatter, I’m still the same boy as from Busan. I still love the calmness and serenity of being with myself. I love blocking out the rest of the world, being in my own little bubble. And that’s what I plan to do for today. The sun hasn’t even risen yet, and the sky’s in that before-dawn state- a velvety pale grey, threaded with thin clouds boasting hues of pink, purple and gold. I smile to myself, enjoying the stillness.

After wandering around for a bit, running my fingers across the snow-lidded wall I walk past, I head over to the coffee shop. It’s definitely my favourite place to go, this early in the morning. A cute, vintage-style café with pretty décor and delicious food. It’s a small place, seemingly drowned out amongst the large, flashy stores next to it, however it’s like a safe haven to me- a welcome contrast to the rest of chaotic, bustling Seoul. Plus, I go there so often the owner knows my name- I’m usually the only person there because I decide to visit at shockingly early hours. I push open the door of the empty café, and the silver bell above it rings melodically.

“Jungkook ssi,” says Sang-mi, a beautiful smiling lacing her tired-looking face. “Ah, I was starting to think you wouldn’t come today,”

“You obviously don’t me well enough, noona,” I say, sauntering up to the counter. “You look like you haven’t slept- you should really consider opening later on in the day. People don’t even leave their houses this early.”

“Well, you come here, don’t you?”

“Yes, but-”“Well, that’s reason enough for me. What would you like?”

“Tall Americano and a blueberry muffin, please,” I say, which is what I get every day but Sang-mi asks me anyway. She nods and whisks up my order in record time.

“Thank you,” I say, taking the steaming cup and plate from her hands. The strong smell of coffee wafts through the shop, and I inhale it deeply. It’s one of the most comforting things in the world. As I turn to go and sit at my usual table, I’m pretty surprised to see someone sitting there already, back to me. They sit with their head hanging low, and all I can see of the man is black hair and a thick knitted scarf wrapped around his neck. He looks lonely, sad.

“Who’s that?” I ask, my voice below a whisper. Sang-mi shrugs.

“No idea. I’m not sure what to do with him, to be honest. He’s barely older than a kid. Came in two hours ago and ordered a latte, but he hasn’t taken a sip of it. Just been sitting here in that same position, completely silent.”

I raise an eyebrow.

“He was here at three in the morning? Wow, looks like I’ve got some competition,” I say, careful to keep my voice low. Sang-mi smiles.

“He looks terrible. Maybe he was kicked out or something? I should really go and ask if he’s okay-”

“No, I’ll go talk to him,” I say, instantly regretting the decision. This guy’s obviously going through a tough time, and I’m very aware that I’m not the best at using words, or at handlin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter