krystal

The Astronauts

KRYSTAL

She hummed as she waited in for Kai’s daily video call. He always ended up getting her and after realizing he wasn’t going to change the time he called, she stopped trying to avoid it.

“Krystal.” His deep voiced resonated through her screen and she gave him a nod in response. Kai proceeded to update her on the Aquarius’ voyage and the statuses of the other crewmembers and she wrote it all down.

Krystal never said anything when it was over and just logged off.

Honestly, she is still very much upset that she’s not up in space, but she was done taking it out on Kai. So she just reverted to ignoring his presence all together. Just like it had been before he had left.

She was about to disconnect the call when Kai sighed and stared at her. Krystal raised an eyebrow and cocked her head to the side.

 “You’re the only person that I can trust will always be harshly honest with me Krystal.” She sat up straight and crossed her arms. “So I need to know if you think I’m a good astronaut.”

A silence enveloped them as Kai watched Krystal and vice versa.

Was Kai a good astronaut?

“Yeah,” she admitted and her gaze awkwardly shifted from him to her keyboard. “Yeah, I think you’re probably the best one up there. Other than me, you were the top choice when it came down to being able to program the Aquarius’ course.”

Kai gaped at her and she rolled her eyes.

“I think that’s the first time I’ve ever heard you give me any sort of positive response.” He grinned.

“Don’t get used to it.” She mumbled. “I just realized that Sehun was the one I should have been angry to begin with. I mean, come on, I’m better than Sehun Oh!” He smiled at her. “And you, but if I had to be beat by someone, you were a worthy opponent.”

“You know, space can be overwhelming sometimes. It’s incredibly lonely.” He confessed and she frowned.

“Don’t you call your family?”

“Uh, no.” Kai shook his head. “My family never really approved of my plans of going to space. My father wanted me to help my brother run his company, but I left and never looked back.”

“Oh, I see. Rich kid problems.” She smirked and he chuckled. “Well, if you ever get too lonely, and I mean desperately lonely, you could call me if you’d like. I know I was a huge to you when you first left and ignored you any other time, but space isn’t the only place that’s lonely.”

Then she smiled at him.

A genuine smile that was brighter than any quasar in space.