kyungsoo

The Astronauts

KYUNGSOO

“Daddy!” Kyungsoo grinned as his two little girls jumped around on the screen.

“How are the two most beautiful girls in the entire universe?”

“Daddy we miss you.” Soojin, his six year old, whined. “When are you coming back?”

“Daddy misses you too, I wish I could bring you two up here with me but I can’t. I promise I’ll be back before you even know it okay?” Kyungsoo gently smiled.

“Can you please try to hurry Dad?” Seolhyun, his nine year old, asked and then looked around the room before getting closer to the camera. “Sometimes Grandma makes the weirdest food. My stomach doesn’t like it.” She whispered and Kyungsoo laughed.

“I’ll try, but you have to promise me that you will try to like Grandma Do’s food, alright?”

The two girls looked at each other, contemplating, before turning to him and nodding.

“As long as you come back faster!” Soojin grinned.

Kyungsoo smiled. They both looked so much like his late wife Yoona. She had died from cancer before his astronaut training had begun and his life had changed drastically in the five years she’d been gone. He was left alone with two children under the age of four and a full time career. Kyungsoo had been working as an air force pilot and had just been accepted into the training program for the new space missions to Mars when Yoona had been diagnosed with stage four lung cancer and passed away three weeks later. Everything had happened so fast and Kyungsoo had to step up and take care of his family that he still hasn’t really grieved her loss.

“Girls, I have to go. It’s time for me to put my astronaut gear on. Eat whatever Grandma gives you, I love you both.”

“We love you too, Daddy!” They said in unison and Kyungsoo smiled fondly.

His two little beauties could outshine the stars with their smiles.