FallenLog

Fire Burns in August Skies

The sun is shining in my eyes, but I don’t care. I’m doing something I’ve never done before, I ditching class. I’m tired of being “good” when I don’t get anything out of it! And I’m not the only one who feels that way, JiHyun does too. We’re sitting beside a cliff on a fallen log, carving our names into it.

We decided to skip class after lunch, because we think the rules are stupid. We study all the time, we take quizzes every day, we sit in a hot stuffy room with other children, and we don’t complain. But because I was playing my GameBoy in bed before lights out (after doing the assigned homework) I am considered a trouble maker? They took my game away and said they were gonna call my mother! They did the same to JiHyun two days ago. So, this is my rebellion.

“There,” He smiles at me. “This is proof that we’ve become friends,” JiHyun stands. “And one day we’ll meet back here, all grown up and cool.” I laugh, nodding my head.

“I’ll be a famous singer,” I declare. “I will sing songs that touch people’s hearts, even if they don’t speak the language, uniting us through music.”

“And I’ll be a famous detective, maybe even a judge.” JiHyun looks up to the blue sky, birds flying out from another tree. “I’ll make a difference. I’ll stand up for justice, and put the bad guys away.”

I stare up at JiHyun, his eyes shining bright. I’ve never met someone so passionate about helping others.

“I can’t wait to meet the future you, Lee JiHyun.” I sigh, happily. “You’ll be an amazing man when you’re older,”

JiHyun laughs, offering me a hand. He helps me up, but we don’t let go.

“And so will you, Cho Kyuhyun.” He smiles. “I look forward to buying your music one day,” For a second we both just stand there, holding hands under the beautiful summer sky.

Cough Cough

Quietly JiHyun takes his hand out from mine, and I blush slightly.

“So,” I say clearing my throat. “What kind of judge skips class?” I joke, looking at JiHyun.

“Shut up, I’m not an adult yet.” He laughs. I laugh at him, before looking at the scenery. “Hey,” he whispers, gaining my attention. “Race ya?”

“What?” I laugh.

“Ready, set, GO!” JiHyun sprints straight ahead. I stand there for a second, in utter disbelief.

“JiHyun-ah!” I laugh, almost tripping on the fallen log we’ve just carved our name into. “Wait for me!” I shout, running toward my new friend.

 “Kyuhyunnie!” JiHyun calls for me “Hurry up, Kyuhyunnie! You gotta see this!” He yells, blue skies above him. Green surrounds JiHyun, from the grass to the leaves on the countless trees. The sun shines down on him, sweat dripping down his smiling face. His smile is so beautiful that I can’t help but wonder what has made him smile like that. I run at full speed to see whatever it is that has made JiHyun smile like that. JiHyun smiles at me. “Kyuhyunnie! Hurry!” He laughs.

The sky starts getting darker, though, from the beautiful blue to looming gray. The sweat on my face is bothering me, but I can’t stop to wipe it away from my eyes. I feel the dirt on my face itch as I run. I don’t know where I’m going, but I just know I need to leave. Suddenly, I’m not running towards something, but away from it. “Kyuhyunnie!” I hear JiHyun scream. I stop running and try to search for him.

“JiHyun-ah!” I scream. “Where are you?!”

“Kyuhyun-ah!” I look to my right and see a familiar fallen tree. Rushing towards the fallen log I see the names we carved what seems like an eternity ago. I look around for JiHyun. “Kyuhyun-ah,” I hear a voice from below. Looking down, I see JiHyun over the near the bottom of the cliff.

“JiHyun-ah!” I almost cry. Quickly, I make my way down the cliff. “Stay there,” I yell. “I’m coming to get you.

“Hurry! I’m scared!” Tears are thick in JiHyun’s voice. Carefully I make it to him, with only few almost accidents.

“JiHyun,”I call out as I turn around. I can see now why he was crying. His right arm was burned really badly, his once tan skin now a blackish-looking-red. As I stepped closer a stench hit my nose, it was the smell of burning human flesh.

“Kyuhyun-ah,” JiHyun looks at me with tears in his eyes. “Help me,” He begs. Snapping out of my trance, I rush over to him. Ignoring the gut-wrenching stench, I carefully take JiHyun’s other arm and swing it over my shoulders.

“It’s okay JiHyun-ah, we’ll be okay.” I whisper, as I hear voices passing over us.

“How?” JiHyun asks, his once bright eyes now dull. I think for a second.

“We’ll find a way into town,” I whisper. “And then we’ll go to the closest restaurant and call the police, since the station is too far to walk to.”

“But that’s miles away,” He cries softly, “I can’t make it!”

“Yes you can!” I cry quietly. “We’ll do it together, we can make it in three days, four tops!” I try to reason, “We just need to move quick.”

“But they’re looking for us,” He cries. “We can’t make it there together, I’ll just slow you down.” He swallows. “While they look for us the others are dying,”

“No!” I shake my head, “Either we make it together or we die together!” I tell him. “I’m not going to leave you behind,” I clutch on to his shirt. “So we either both go, or we both stay,” I look into JiHyun’s dark eyes.

“Fine, but if something happens to me, promise you’ll keep going.”

“Nothing’s goin-”

“Promise!” JiHyun demands. We’re both quiet before I nod.

“I promise.” JiHyun nods.

“Okay, let’s get moving.” He says looking up at the cliff. “Together.”

“Together.”

Suddenly we’re not climbing anymore, but running again. I look at JiHyun, he does not look okay. His burned arm not has yellow pus and it has a distinguishable stench. He’s paler than I’ve ever seen, and his lips are dried up. We’re almost to the town, only about five more miles. We can make it if-

“Kyuhyun-ah,” I hear JiHyun call from behind me. I turn to him. “Run Kyuhyun-ah,” He tells me.

“What?” I ask. “Come on JiHyun, I know it’s hard, but we’re almost there. Just five more miles.” I try to reason.

“Hurry up! I think I saw the boy go this way,”

“Come on, JiHyun,” I plead. “We’ll get you some help, and we’ll get the police.” JiHyun looks at me tiredly, before noddinig.

“Okay, let’s go.” I nod, in relief. I take JiHyun’s good hand and we start running again. The sound of the men right behind us keep us on edge. After about two miles, we let go of hands.

 “JiHyun we’re almost there!” I whisper. “Just three more mile-”

“FOUND HIM!” A familiar voice shouts. I look behind me and realize that JiHyun had stopped running once I let go of his hand,

“No,” I shake my head. JiHyun looks straight at me and smiles. I back away, knowing that I need to keep going, but I can’t stop myself from watching.

“WHERE’S THE OTHER ONE?!”The man screams,

“What other one?” JiHyun laughs.

“Maybe he’s dead, Boss” another man looks at the bigger man.

“His body is not accounted for, HE CAN’T BE DEAD!” The “Boss” yells before turning back to JiHyun. He pulls out a gun from his back pocket. “WHERE IS HE?” He screams, cocking the gun. I freeze in my spot.

“No,” I shake my head. Please, don’t kill him.

“No idea,” JiHyun says, stealing a glance towards my direction. “But I sure hope he knows he needs to run,”

“This little..!” The “Boss laughs humorlessly.

BANG

Blood paints the tree JiHyun was standing in front of.


Leeteuk walks into the elevator happily, making his way to the other dorm for breakfast, something routine to all the members. He had slept well the night before, thanks to the exhaustion of the events the day before. But he loved his job, so he could never really complain. It was already almost half past ten, so his breakfast would be a little cold. Smiling, he enters the eleventh floor dorm.

“Good morning,” He smiles at Sungmin, who was in the kitchen making coffee,

“Morning Hyung,” Sungmin smiles, but talks in a hushed voice as he points to living room. Curious, Leeteuk walks over to the living room. There, laying on the window sill, was the magnae sleeping. A feeling of relief washed over Leeteuk, all of the members knew of Kyuhyun’s trouble with sleeping lately, so it was a relief to see him sleeping again.

“I guess he listened to us,” Eunhyuk smiles, giving Ryeowook a wink.

“What do you mean?” Sungmin asks, handing Leeteuk a cup of hot tea. Kangin is at the table eating his three-course breakfast, as well as Shindong.

“Well, we told Kyuhyun that we were worried about him not sleeping,” Ryeowook shrugs. “He hadn’t responded very well, but it seems like our little talk encourage him to sleep.”

“Mmmmjihyun,” Kyuhyun mumbles in his sleep.

“It’s good that he’s sleeping again,” Leeteuk sighs, looking over at Kyuhyun. However, there was something worrying Leeteuk about the way Kyuhyun’s sleeping.

“Jihyunnn” The magnae groans louder.

Yesung, who had been watching television, stares at the magnae. Kyuhyun begins tossing and turning, catching the attention of all the other members in the dorm.

“N-no, mjihyunm.” He says loud enough for the people in the other room to hear.

“Is he alright?” Leeteuk asks, worried.

“JiHyunnnn,” Kyuhyun tosses, sweat soaking his skin. A worried Sungmin quickly rushes to Kyuhyn’s side, petting his head in an attempt to comfort Kyuhyun.

“Should we wake him?” Kangin asks, worried as well. Kyuhyun starts sobbing.

“We’re not supposed to, it could be dangerous,” Says Eunhyuk. Leeteuk stands up and walks over to where Sungmin is, thinking of what could possibly be bothering his magnae.

Kyuhyun starts gasping, gripping the cushion beneath him.

All of the members rush over to Kyuhyun, trying to figure out what to do to help him.

“No,” Kyuhyun wheezes. “No,” he gasps, face turning red.

“Forget not waking him up,” Kangin says loudly, shaking Kyuhyun.

“That’s dangerous!” Ryeowook says, upset.

 “This is dangerous!” Yesung yells

“Kyuhyun!” Kangin shakes Kyuhyun more violently.

“NOOO!!!”Kyuhyun screams, so loud that the others need to their ears.

“Kyuhyun?” Sungmin calls softly, but Kyuhyun is not fully awake.

“I can’t breathe, I can’t breathe, I CAN’T BREATHE!” Kyuhyun begins screaming hysterically.

“KYUHYUN!” Eunhyuk screams, shaking Kyuhyun’s shoulders. “You’re okay, just breathe in and out slowly.”

Kyuhyun stares at him, eyes wide, tears pouring out. Slowly Kyuhyun’s breathing normalizes, but his eyes are still wild.

“I’m sorry,” Kyuhyun whispers. “I’m sorry, I’m so sorry.”

“It’s okay Kyuhyun-ah,” Sungmin says holding the still crying Kyuhyun. “Shhh, it’s okay, you don’t need to be sorry.” All of the members all hug Kyuhyun in an attempt to comfort him. “I’m sorry, I’m sorry.”

The members tucked Kyuhyun into his bed, trying to calm him with chamomile tea. Leeteuk is watching over Kyuhyun right now, as the others sit quietly in the living room. Leaving the door open just a crack, Leeteuk leaves Kyuhyun.

“Hyung, what should we do?” Eunhyuk asks quietly, fear evident. The others look at each other, the answer not easy to find. “This is getting worse,”

“I know,” Leeteuk sighs, “But there is nothing we can do. If he doesn’t want to talk about it we can’t force him to talk.”

“He kept saying a name,” Yesung says quietly.

“What?” Eunhyuk says, surprised.

“A name, he kept repeating it in his sleep. J-JiHyun, I think,” Yesung nods to himself as he tries to recall the name that seems to be haunting Kyuhyun.

“If he won’t tell us what’s bothering him, we’re going to have to find out ourselves.” Sungmin nods.


So, here's another chapter. The beginning chapters might be a but slow (in the changkyu department  especially, so it seems). Sorry, but I hope you enjoyed reading it. Thank you to my readers and subscribers~ 

In case some people are confused, the blue part is Kyuhyun dreaming about that one summer while the black part is happening as Kyuhyun is asleep.