HotBathesSoothestheSoul

Fire Burns in August Skies

“We are Super Juni-OEYO!” We scream one last time before we exit the stage. The screams from our fans leave us with smiles. Tonight was a good show, our managers congratulate us. Laughter fills the atmosphere, all around me there is only happiness.

I, on the other hand, can only smile. It’s not a real smile, but a rehearsed one. It seems like I never genuinely smile anymore. The nightmares have come back, so in order to avoid them, I play computer games. Nothing keeps me up like a good ole game of StarCraft. I know Sungmin Hyung is tired of my late night gaming, but I’m tired of the memories.

He would probably be more sympathetic to my gaming if he knew the reason behind it, they all would. But they don’t, so they aren’t. That’s alright though, it’s better that they don’t know. No one can know.

“Kyuhyun,” Someone calls. I look up and realize everyone is waiting for me.

“Ready?” Ryeowook asks me. I give him a tired smile and a short nod. “Let’s go home then,”

Quietly I walk beside him, luggage on my back.

“Let’s go home.”

Fans scream as we walk towards the vans, mine is with a StarCraft sticker on the windshield. Some give us gift, others throw their gifts at us, and the rest take pictures.

This is my life.

Everyone knows who I am, people follow me everywhere, leaving me with little privacy. Good. In some ways this lifestyle is considered dangerous, but honestly, I find it safer.

If everyone knows me, if everyone’s always watching me, then I’m safe.

There are body guards to protect me, fans watching over me, making me untouchable.

Indestructible.

The van takes us to the dorm, the ride loud and cramped. This is comfortable. This is safe.

As we pull into the garage I notice a two very familiar cars. I can’t help but smile.

“How about we order some take out?” Donghae asks, as we step out of the vans. The members all cheer, jumping up and down like the little kids they still are.

“Make sure you order extra, for us!” A familiar dolphin-like voice calls out. We turn around and see Junsu giving his famous angel smile. Beside him is s, Yunho, Yoochun, Jaejoong, and my best friend Changmin. We all rush over to greet the DBSK members.

“Yay!” Eunhyuk laughs as he hugs his best friend. “You should be treating us! You’re the sunbae!”

“I don’t pay for my subjects!” Junsu jokes.

“Pshh, fine! I won’t pay for you either, servant!” Eunhyuk shoves Junsu a little. The two always picking on one another. Donghae and Shindong get in on the teasing, as well.

“Yunho-ah!” Leeteuk laughs. “I think we need to control our boys a bit more,”

“I was thinking the same thing, Hyung,”

“Hey!” Kangin says defensive. “I’m well-behaved.” All of us give shouts of complaints. “Who wants to get hit?” He asks, jokingly. Sungmin and Hangeng, the ones who know martial arts, both step up.

“Jae, you look great.” Heechul says laughing at the other members. “The eyeliner looks great on you,” he compliments. “You look almost as good as me.” Jaejoong just rolls his eyes.

“I think the word you’re looking for is better. And thanks, I just got it today and decided to try it out today.

“You look nice Jaejoong-Hyung,” Siwon smiles his dimple smile. “It would be nice to see you in church sometime,” He comments. Heechul groans and Jae just laughs.

“Hey Hyung,” Yoochun hugs Yesung.

“My brother!” Yesung yells, still not forgetting the EHB. Kibum just shakes his head.

“Hi Yoochun Hyung,” Kibum greets in English.

“What the heck,” Ryeowook laughs at Kibum. “Why are you speaking English?” He shakes his head before turning to Yoochun. “Hey Hyung,” Yoochun laughs at the other magnaes.

Tap Tap Tap

I rub the side of my head and turn to see Changmin, grinning at me. I can’t help but smile back.

“Ow,” I laugh.

“Well, you weren’t paying attention to me.”

“What did you use?” I ask “Your fist?” Changmin laughs at me, swinging one of his long arms around my shoulders.

“Congrats on finishing your promotions,” He says quietly.

“Thanks,” I look down, slightly embarrassed. Regaining composure, I look back up at him, “Let’s go eat”.

 

It’s two in the morning, and the DBSK members are finally leaving after a long meal filled with shouts and laughter. I bid the members goodnight, as I feel exhaustion taking over.  Someone touches my hand. I turn to see a sleepy Changmin, one of cutest things on earth (not that I would ever tell him that, a sleepy Min could still kick my ). I give him a soft hug goodbye.

“Be safe,” I tell him. Changmin gives me a soft smile, and ruffles my hair, his actions saying that he will.

After DBSK leave the members all part their ways, and I’m left standing alone in the living room.

I know I should follow them and go to bed, but I’m afraid of what might happen in my sleep. A couple months ago someone reached out to my mother, telling her that someone from my past is lurking the streets of Seoul. As soon as she heard the news she contacted me. After that, well, all my dreams has been replaced by memories that haunt my past.

“They’ll catch him,” She said, trying (and failing) to reassure me. “You’re safe now, Kyuhyun-ah.”

“I thought I was safe then too,” I tell no one, as I stare out the living room window. “We all did.” I scoff to myself, and how can I trust the government? After all, they covered the whole thing up. In fact, they didn’t even tell me the guy escaped, they told my mom.

“Kyu?” Startled, I jump. I see Ryeowook and Eunhyuk staring at me. I cough, trying to regain composure.

“Sorry,” Ryeowook says. “We didn’t mean scare you.”

“I wasn’t scared,” I say quickly. “I was just surprised.” I add when Eunhyuk rolls his eyes. “I thought you guys were going to sleep,” I realize “why aren’t you in bed?”

“We came to ask you the same question.” Eunhyuk crosses his arms over his chest, and Wookie follows. I smile at them.

“I don’t know if this makes sense to you,” I sit at the window sill “but I feel too tired to sleep.”

“You haven’t slept in two weeks,” Wookie frowns. “I don’t even know how you’re functioning.”

“Lemon water,” I laugh. “It does amazing things.”

“This isn’t funny Kyu,” Eunhyuk scolds. “Is something bothering you?”

Tell thema quiet voice pleads.

I look at the floor.

No, I can’t.

“We’ll do whatever we can to help,” Eunhyuk continues.

Tell themthe voice repeats.

They can’t know!

FLASH BACK

Ugh, this camp is so boring! I mean I like school, and I like math, but why do I have to always study? Why did my dad have to send me to this math camp when I clearly told them I wanted to go to band camp, like Ara-Noona? Why does she get to play music, but I can’t? Well, it’s not Noona’s fault. Mom said that this was a special camp, “for gifted young boys” as she put it. Gifted? Sure, I’m good in math and science, but I wouldn’t say gifted. Video game? Computer games! I’m gifted when it comes to those things, but not academics. I just am forced to study a lot, like right now. At camp. Over summer vacation.

“Okay children,” The teacher in front of the room claps her hands together. “Time to put down your pencils and pass up your quizzes.” Sighing, I do as I’m told. The quizzes are collected and this boring day just won’t end. “So we have some visitors today, class. Let’s give them a warm welcome.” Our teacher announces. We all clap for then guests.

“Thank you for that wonderful introduction,” A man says. He’s different from the other guest we’ve had. He is very muscular, enough so the shirt he wears is tight around his biceps. His eyes have bags underneath them, and his circular glasses don’t fit his style. This man has facial hair, a beard in progress. There is a scar that runs down his neck. I can’t help but feel intimidated by this man.

“Hey Kyuhyunnie,” My friend, JiHyun, whispers from behind me. “Kyuhyunnie,”

Kyuhyunnie

Kyuhyun

KYU

END FLASH BACK

“Kyu?” I blink and look around me. Ryeowook and Eunhyuk have mirrored expressions of concern on their faces.

“Huh?”

“Are you okay?” Wookie asks me, eyes filled with worry.

“What? Yeah, I’m fine,” I try to reassure them. Both of them look at each other, hesitating. “What?” I ask, too tired to be patient.

“Are you still having those nightmare?” Ryeowook asks softly. I stiffen at his words. Eunhyuk sighs. I look at my hands. “Maybe it’ll help if you talk about them.” Ryeowook suggests, I shake my head, not even looking at them.

“What about talking to a doctor about them?” Eunhyuk continues. “Like a psychologists or something,”

They’d just lock me up, because no one knows what happened that summer. They’d think I’m crazy. But I’m not, they’re just uninformed.

“I’m fine,” I whisper.

“No you’re not!” Eunhyuk shouts, frustrated. I close my eyes and silently count to ten before opening them again. “You’re not fine, Kyuhyun.” He pleads softly.

We all go silent.

One

Two

Three

Four minutes pass, before Ryeowook sighs.

“I guess there is no convincing you,” He looks at me. I stay quiet. “Well, we’ll go to bed then. See you in the morning, magnae.”

“Sweet dreams,” I whisper, as Ryeowook drags Eunhyuk away.

I know they only want to help, but this is something they cannot get involved in.

I stay sitting for about an hour, when I feel the exhaustion seeping in. I should have brought my laptop from my room so I could play StarCraft, but now it’s too late and Sungmin is asleep. He wakes up very easily.

I just realize I need to go to my room, I’m still in my work clothes. Sighing, I make my way to my room. Doing my best to not make any noise, I grab some gray sweat bottoms and a simple black T-Shirt. I look around my shared room. Posters of StarCraft hang on my otherwise empty white walls. My wooden desk is nearly empty, as well, with the exception of a family picture from a time I barely remember. Clothes are hung in the closet, and my precious laptop is sleeping on my bed. My bed looks like no one has slept in it for weeks, and no one has. The plaid blue bedding looks warm and comforting, ready to embrace my aching body. The pillows are as white and as soft as clouds, but firm enough to hold my tired head. How cruel.

 Walking to the bathroom, I decide to take a cold shower to wake me up. Piece by piece I remove every article of clothing, the early morning air sends chills throughout my body. Accidently, I look in the mirror. On my ribcage there is a tattoo, a scar. One that has yet to fade. Sure, there are the scars from the crash, but this is more prominent across my pale white skin. The black ink is all I see. The mark given to me, labeling me.

FLASH BACK

ZZZZZZZZZ

“It HURTS!”

“SHUT UP, BRAT!”

I can’t breathe, I can’t breathe! I can feel tears running down my face. I’m next, I’m next!

Calm down Kyu, calm down.

ZZZZZZZZZ

“PLEASE! NO MORE! NO MORE! NOOOO!” I hear someone scream, sounding like someone my age, tears obvious in their voice. I can’t see because of the blindfold they placed over my eyes, and I can’t scream because of the gag they have on me.

“I SAID SHUT UP!”

THUD

There is no more screaming.

The ground I’m lying on is cold and wet, maybe by the creek? That means the trees to the left of us are twenty miles from the nearest village, and forty miles from the nearest police station.

“NEXT!”

Wait! No, not yet! Please.

Stay calm Kyuhyun! Don’t scream, or something bad will happen. I feel myself hyperventilating. They throw me so I’m on my back.

RRIIIPPP

Off goes my shirt. Cold air hits my skin, making me flinch.

“Stay still,” The man demands. “What sign is he?”

“The finale,” Another voice answers. Finale? Finale? What does that mean?

“Finale, is he? Better hope he survives then.”

Survive? Survive what?

ZZZZZZZ

Breathe Kyuhyun, breathe.

Something stabs me by my rib cage, making me scream.

ZZZZZZZ

“QUIET!”

I do my best to keep from screaming, convincing myself the pain is tolerable.

ZZZZZZZ

Do math problems, yeah, distract yourself from the pain Kyuhyun.

Okay, something easy: let’s work with triangles. Okay. Ow, Ow, Ow. Don’t think about the pain, Kyuhyun.

Find angle A.

 Angle C is 30 degrees, and angle B is 90 degrees.

We know that the total is 180 degrees, so 180 minus the sum of angle B and C equals angle A.

ZZZZZZZ

So, 180 - (C+B) = A

180 – (30 + 90) = A

 180 – 120= A

180 – 120= 60

A= 60

This kinda works.

ZZZZZZZ

“Finished,” The man says.

I sigh in relief.  It’s been what feels like an hour. The ribcage hurts.

“Maybe the boy can survive it,” The other voice says, grabbing my neck.

“I doubt it, this was nothing.” The man says, smirk evident in his voice. “Put him with the others,”

END FLASH BACK

I turn away from the bathroom mirror and turn on the water. I know I was supposed to take a cold shower, but with the aches of my body, of my soul, I think a hot bath is needed. 


So, I know this first chapter wasn't much, but it was just to get the ball rolling and to introduce you guys (the readers) to the style. Hope it will suffice. Thank you for reading, subscribing, and commenting!

The mark Kyuhyun is talking about is this:

(it supposedly means destruction, I googled it, so if it's wrong, blame google)