DirtOrFire

Fire Burns in August Skies

****WARNING! A LOT OF CURSED WORDS WERE USED IN THIS CHAPTER! SORRY!****


Eunhyuk POV

 

After Kyuhyun’s Massacre on the stuffed animals, Sungmin and Ryeowook did their best to comfort the terrified magnae, but Kyuhyun just stayed on the couch silently crying. We tried getting him to talk again, but it was all useless. In the end, the five of us just sat together until our manager came to pick up Kyuhyun. Because we're still idols, and the show must go on.

 

After Manager Hyung took away the visibly shaken Kyuhyun, though not before giving all of us a thorough interrogation, the four of us quickly called Leeteuk and Yunho. We stated that it was a code PEARL RED, meaning that we were in a state of emergency.  Both leaders proceeded to wake the other members  (those who were with us on this mission), as Yesung,  Sungmin,  Ryeowook,  and myself left for the hideout. The ride was silent,  none of us knowing what to say or how to move forward. Kyuhyun’s words played over and over in my mind, as his crazed eyes were all I could see. They were  more than just crazed, there was clearly anger and pain in Kyuhyun’s eyes, but there was something else.

 

We were the first a ones to arrive, of course, followed by DBSK, and finally the other members. It took about an hour before all of us were able to meet at the apartment. As we settled in, it was quite clear by the unusually quiet atmosphere just how serious our news was.

 

“HyukJae,” Donghae said, in a rare solemn tone. “Tell us what happened, from the beginning,” I look around me, at Yesung and Sungmin, then at Ryeowook. Where do I start?

 

“It happened around five,” Sungmin says slowly, recalling this morning’s events. It doesn’t take long for Sungmin to finish the story. I bite my lip, wondering whether or not I should tell them what Kyuhyun told me privately.

 

“It could have been a bad dream,” Shindong says, looking around at all of us. “I mean, he said the dolls were talking to him,”

 

“That does seem plausible,” Yunho nods slowly. “This seems more horror-movie than mad scientist. I mean, we might as well send a priest to exorcise your dorm if we believe this talking doll thing.”

 

“Plus,” Junsu says. “They were bunnies, no thumbs,” He shrugs. “They can’t hurt you. Now if we were talking about actual dolls, I’d be on board.” Everyone eyes Junsu wearily.

 

“If it was a nightmare,” Heechul sighs. “We need to look into what caused this outburst,”

 

“Chullie is right,” Jaejoong nods. “What will happen if there aren’t any dolls around next time? Who will be the victims of Kyuhyun’s nightmares?”

 

“I-I don’t think it was a nightmare,” Ryeowook mutters, not looking at anyone. Everyone looks at the magnae.

 

“Wookie-,”

 

“No,” Ryeowook shakes his head, cutting Kangin off. “You weren’t there Hyung,” He looks at me directly. I swallow, before looking away.

 

“Think about it, this was different.”

 

“What do you mean different?” Junsu asks.

 

“Until now,” Yoochun says quietly. “Whenever Kyuhyun had a nightmare it was of the past,”

 

“So?” Donghae asks.

 

“He said that they were trying to kill him, as in present tense. He said that they were going to take him ‘back’ and that he wasn’t going ‘back’.” Sungmin interjects.

 

“Okay, so his nightmares are advancing,” Yunho says. “That means he’s getting worse.”

 

“But why would they be advancing? He slept fine the past two days.” Yoochun asks. “What if there was something going on?”

 

“I don’t know Yoochun,” Jaejoong sighs, tired. Everyone begins to argue.

 

You need to tell them, says the small voice in my head, They need to know.

 

How? How do I tell them that we’re all going to die?

 

That’s why they need to know.

 

I know, I know.

 

“Guys,” I say, eyes closed, temples pounding. No one responds, they’re all too busy yelling. “GUYS!” I scream, patience exhausted. The room falls silent, and I open my eyes. Everyone is staring at me, surprised. “I haven’t told you something,”

 

“What is it HyukJae?” Leeteuk says calmly. I look down and close my eyes once more.

 

“You’re going to die, I say quietly. Startled murmuring quickly follows.

 

“Yah, HyukJae,” Junsu says, voice wavering with worry. “What are you talking about? Why would we die?”

 

“If you try protecting me, if you love me, you will die,” I repeat. Opening my eyes, and looking at the others. “Kyuhyun told me this, when I told him we’d protect him.” I inform everyone. “He said that we will die protecting him or as a pawn once that sicko succeeds.”

 

“Succeeds in what?” Changmin asks. I shake my head.

 

“When did he say any of this?” Sungmin asks.

 

“You guys went to make him tea, and Yesung went back to pick up the mess.”

 

“Did he say anything else?” Ryeowook asks, not caring that I kept this information from him. I sigh, trying to remember everything Kyuhyun told me, but I had just woken up and was in shock, so some things are fuzzy.

 

“Yeah,” I close my eyes. “Just give me a second to remember everything.” The room falls silent. “He told me more,” I sigh. “I-I just can’t remember,”

 

“Was it about the dolls,” Heechul asks. I shake my head. “Was it about the nightmares?” I shake my head again.

 

“You know,” Junsu says in his typical sing-song tone, “If we had his sister her she would tell us everything about Kyuhyun, because he’s the baby and she loves him. I wish I had a sibling.”

 

“Junsu,” Yoochun sighs, “You have a twin brother,”

 

“Yeah, but he doesn’t protect me like Ara protect Kyuhyun,” Junsu pouts.

 

DING

 

“That’s it,” I say loudly.

 

“What’s what?” Junsu asks clueless.

 

“His sister-his family,” I shake my head. “H-He said he sent them away because HE said he was going to kill his family, he as in whoever this psycho is,”

 

“Wait,” Shindong says. “If Kyuhyun sent his family away, that means something is going to happen soon,”

 

“Or it was precaution,” Jaejoong says. “If my family was at risk I’d send them as far away for as long as I could,”

 

“What else did Kyuhyun say?”

 

“T-That he thought we’d be safe, he didn’t think HE would hurt us, b-because we were innocent,”

 

“So what changed?” Sungmin asks, frantic. “Why us?”

 

“Kyuhyun said that the man said he’d kill his entire family, and because Kyuhyun loves us, we are also considered his family,”

 

“Okay,” Yunho says, “It makes sense that that monster would target Super Junior, but why us? No offense, but technically, the DBSK members aren’t that close with Kyuhyun.”

 

“Weren’t.” Jaejoong corrects. “Now he’s family.”

 

“Kid better be,” Yoochun says bitterly. “I’m going to die because of him.

 

“Changmin.” Yesung says quietly. Changmin looks around the room.

 

“What about me Hyung?”

 

“That’s why. Kyuhyun loves Changmin,” Changmin’s eyes widen comically, and I would probably over it, but the knowledge of my impending death has taken it’s toll on me.

 

“W-What? We’re just friends, Hyung,” Changmin stutters. “Well, best friends, actually I like him more than my members, but still,”

 

“No you idiot,” Yoochun smirks. “He loves you like a brother, therefore you’re family.”

 

“And any family of your’s is considered our family as well,” Jaejoong nods.

 

“Oh,” Changmin says simply, and if I didn’t know any better, I’d think he was disappointed.

 

“Ugh!” Kangin yells, frustrated. “So was this a nightmare or, like,”

 

“Like what?” Yesung asks. “This is crazy, he was talking about an army of stuffed animals trying to kill him!” He explodes. “You know what I saw back there?” He asks. The others shake their heads, surprised at Yesung’s outburst. “When I looked into Kyuhyun’s eyes I saw a boy who had given up.” He laughs bitterly. “Kyuhyun has ing given up, even his speech pattern screams that he’s given up. He said we are going to ing die, not possibly, not might, but that we ARE going to ing die. He said that we will either die protecting him or ONCE the sick bastard SUCCEEDS in his plan. Do we even know what his plan is? No, but that doesn’t ing matter. You know why? Because the government kept this sicko a ing secret from it’s people, covered up a ing massacre of almost fifty ing kids, and thought that they would just let the monster rott until his bones we buried six feet under ing ground.You know what that left the to do? Plan. He was ing planning. For who knows how long! He planned his bloody ing escape, his ing revenge, and probably thought of every little ing thing that might go wrong, and how to respond to them. And Kyuhyun knows this, which is why he’s given up. He knows his family was going to die, which is why he sent them abroad. He probably thought, ‘Well, at least I’ll save my ing family! At least they’ll survive!’ But he didn’t think about us, and if he did he was wrong. And he ing knows that now. He knows he’s going to die, and so will we.” Though they Yesung’s words seem hard and cold, it is what our future is looking like. “This isn’t a movie,” Yesung says, malice gone. “The man is a monster, he was behind the cruel murder and of fifty people, and that is only from what we know. Did we really think that we, some idol boy group singers, could possibly stop him? He has obvious training, and no matter our military background, it doesn’t compare. Whatever he’s planning, it’s bigger than all of us.” He continues. “And we’re going to die,”

 

There is a silence that follows Yesung’s words. If everything that Kyuhyun said is true, if all that we learned is accurate, then we really are going to die. No more concerts, no more variety shows, no more dramas. I can’t help but wonder how he will kill me, would he suffocate me like the other children? Will I be shot in the chest or in the head? Or will I feel the cold touch of a blade on the back of my neck? Will he make my family watch? Should I send them abroad? I should have spent more time with them, told them how much I love them. Will I have to watch as he murders my friends, my brothers, or will they have to watch as he murders me? The only thing I know now is that we’re all going to die. It’ll just be dirt or fire.

 

“Okay,”


 

Changmin POV

 

“And we’re going to die,” Yesung Hyung says,  before sitting down in a corner.

 

The silence that follows is deafening. I see the sorrow and fear hit everyone else in this room, and it’s heartbreaking. Looks of realization followed by regret, followed by acceptance.

 

I don’t know why, but I don’t feel scared. Maybe it’s because I accepted my fate along time ago, or maybe I refuse to let someone’s choose my fate for me, therefore not believing in the words of this monster. I don’t know. What I do know are the risks, yes there is a huge risk of me dying, but honestly, that doesn’t bother me. This man tortured my friend, my best friend, and now he’s doing it again. I told Kyuhyun I’d always protect him, and I meant it. I took an oath to protect my family, to protect my country, and I will do that. Even if it means dying. Maybe it’s because I’ve led a good life, but I really don’t think if I was to die tonight I’d die unsatisfied. Unhappy. It happens eventually, and it might as well happen while I have no regrets. So if Kyuhyun believes we’re going to die, if that monster says we’re going to die, if everyone in this room believes we’re going to die,

 

“Okay,” I say, shrugging. “I thought we established that last time, but if you no longer want to help Kyuhyun-”

 

“Kyuhyun can’t even help Kyuhyun!” Yesung says angrily.

 

“Which is why we’re doing it! You can still leave, Hyung. Anyone, hell, everyone can still leave! I’m going to stay, and continue my efforts in helping my friend.” I shrug.

 

“How?” Ryeowook asks, sitting down next to me.

 

“Here,” I say typing into my laptop (yes, I now refer to the hacking laptop as mine). “So there were fifty-six stuffed animals, which we know symbolizes the number of people who died that summer. Four of the campers made it, so there should only be forty-six bunnies,”

 

“Unless we add the staff,” Ryeowook says, “Meaning there were ten staff members.”

 

“So,” Yoochun says, plopping himself down on the other side of me. “The staff were alumni, so they must have been geniuses as well,”

 

“And that means they were people of high middle or upper class standing, of intellectual prestige. This means we should search for people who suddenly stopped working or disappeared who fit these criteria,” Jaejoong says.

 

“Right,” Yunho says. “Because they wouldn’t be categorized as missing if the Onyx Dragon Society bought their families’ silence.”

 

I nod, continually typing.

 

“That matches a little over a hundred people,” I say “I still need more to go on,”

 

“Narrow the search down to people who only stopped working after August of 2000 and before December of 2000. They received the money then.” Leeteuk says.

 

“Also,” Shindong comes up from behind me, “exclude retirees, these people needed to be able to navigate the woods.”

 

“Twenty-three,” I say excitedly, “Come on guys, I need more,”

 

“They must have exchanged schedules or sometime, check old emails or mail records,” Donghae says.

 

“Alright,” I type in the final data, and with Donghae’s input ten names pop up on the list.

 

“Okay, now we know who the staff were,” Heechul says. “What do we do with that information?”

 

“Maybe,” Sungmin suggests. “If we find a common source, like a mailed letter address or email address, we can track down the camp.”

 

“Here,” Yesung, said in a quiet voice. He takes a stuffed animals out of his pocket, probably the only one unscratched by Kyuhyun. “I do care about Kyuhyun, and I want to help, but everytime we think we’re getting closer, something happens.”

 

“It’s okay Hyung,” I smile softly. “This is scary, for all of us.” I take the doll and stare at it. The toy was limp, as it should be. The stomach, soft, no signs of a microphone. The eyes, black and beady. The mouth, stitched shut. “How can this doll talk?” I wonder aloud.

 

“I don’t know,” Ryeowook sighs. “All we heard was Kyuhyun,”

 

“What if that bastard was actually in our dorm?” Sungmin says, worriedly. “What if he implanted something in the dorm, making Kyuhyun think he heard the dolls talk?”

 

“But he said they were trying to kill him, meaning they were moving around.” I shake my head. “But this feels incredibly soft, how would it move?” All of us grow silent, thinking of a plausible explanation.

 

“I just wish we knew that monster’s name,” Junsu sighs.

 

“Min Yo Han,” Eunhyuk whispers. I look over at Eunhyuk, surprised.. “I-I remember, Kyuhyun told me his name,” He tells me, looking just as surprised.

 

“I can see if there we’re any correlations between the staff and someone with that name,” I tell them. “And then maybe, if we find this man’s file, we could study him. Figure out his history and what would be his next step!”

 

“Do it Changmin,” Yoochun whispers, pulling out flash drive that I know he retrieved from the group of hackers who gave me this laptop. This flash drive contains billions of codes used to override the blocks the government uses, and with this information I can find out everything about every Min Yo Han in the database.

 

“Okay,” I nod, typing away furiously. “Using the names, timeline, details of the crime, and environmental descriptions (woods, by water, rural), military training background, I can search through the database,” I sigh pulling away as the machine continues to make noise. “It’s searching,” I pick up the doll before turning to the others.

 

“We’re doing it,” Jaejoong says. “We’re going to find him,”

 

“For once,” Heechul smiles, “We may have the upper hand.” I smile, looking down at the doll.

 

“This bastard has been messing with our magnae,” I hear Kangin say, “He wants to play games? Okay, let’s play,”

 

CLINK CLICK

 

Gasping, I drop the doll as its once black beady eyes turned a laser red. The others look at me startled. I sign for them to stay quiet. The doll lays on the ground, eyes toward the floor.

“Now that’s not nice,” A menacing voice laughs, as I quickly pull out my phone. “Kyuhyun, I thought you had better manners than that.” I record the voice, in hopes of voice recognition for later. Looking around, I grab the nearest heaviest object I could find. A book. “Come on,” The voice teases,

“You know you can’t hide from me,” I lift the book, and as quietly as possible, stand over the doll. “I see you,” The doll quickly stands on it’s own and I drop the book on top of the doll, before jumping on it until I hear the shattering of the glass. I look at the others, breathing heavy, and they look at me.

One thing is for sure, Kyuhyun wasn’t dreaming.


Hey Guys,

I hope you enjoyed the update, sorry, the original was supposed to include this in the last chapet, but it was deleted and I decided to separte the chapters. Sorry for all the swearing and what not. I promise to make better chapters!  Thank you all for reading and cmmenting and subscribing! I haven't edited this or the last chapter, so I'll do that soon. 

-Love, ALL4ALL