TillTheEnd

Fire Burns in August Skies

Kyuhyun POV

“Have a good time in London,” I smile tiredly, as my brother-in-law looks at me through the phone. “Be sure to take real good care of my sister,” I jokingly give him a stern look. He laughs along.

“Or else what?” He jokes. “What are you going to do? I’m already in the family,”

“Aish,” I say. “Look who thinks he’s Mr. Big Shot,”

“Don’t worry,” Brother-in-law says, once the laughter is finished, seriously. “I’ll take care of her,” I nod. I know she told him about that summer, she had to, and I know that the reason for this out-of-the-blue honeymoon is for their safety. I told them to leave, I need them to. Things are getting worse with me, and I can’t have my family around to witness it. “You’re parents leave next week,”

“I know,” I try to smile. “You guys will finally be safe,” I look around my room.

“Hey,” He says, grabbing my attention, “You can always come with us, if it gets to be too much, you know our number.” I smile at him, a real smile. “We’re family, we’ll keep you safe,”

“I know,” I nod my head. “But I think I’ll stick around here,” I tell him. “He can’t do things to me if everyone’s watching,” I say quietly. “B-By the way,” I say, hesitant.

“Hmm?” Even through the screen, I could still sense my brother-in-law’s caring warmth reach me.

“Thank you,” I whisper.

“For what, Kyu?”

“For believing my sister, my family. It’s hard to accept something like this without any proof, and it’s harder to be forced to live your life around it.” I say, unable to look him in the eye. “Thank you for understanding and being strong for Ara,”

“You know Kyu,” He says. “We’re not your only family. Maybe you should consider telling your members,” I shake my head.

“They can’t know,” I say quickly. There is a silence. No, no, no. The members can’t know. The people who know are the people in danger, I can’t lose my members. I can’t risk them, I think to myself.

“Okay, okay,” He says, sighing. “It’s just,” He struggles to find the words. “I am worried about you, and I want you to be safe.” He tells me, “I feel like if you were around people who knew, they might be more alert,”

“I don’t want them to get hurt,” I whisper. “They can’t get hurt, not by him, and not because of me.” I tell him. “Besides, he’d have less reason to kill him if they don’t know anything.”

“He’s going to be caught, Kyuhyun,”

“Yeah?” I ask “Before or after he kills me?” I roll my eyes. There is a silence on the phone, and I look down. “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean that,”

“Is that why you wanted us gone?” He asks. “So you can be killed without fear of him coming after us?” I don’t answer. “Cho Kyuhyun, you are not going to die,” He says sternly.

“I don’t want to go through it again,” I tell him, close to tears. “I can’t, I won’t!”

“You won’t,” He agrees. “Okay, you don’t have to tell them, the choice is yours. Just promise to stay safe,”

“I promise,” I nod.

“Okay, well, I have to go. We’re about to board.” My brother-in-law says, looking over his shoulder.

“Okay, have fun,” I tell him.

“Get some rest,” He waves.

“You too,” I wave back.

I sigh as the screen goes black.

“Time to get ready,” I look in the mirror. Poor make-up Noona, she has to make this tired zombie into a living breathing person. I’ve lost weight due to the lack of sleep and lack of eating, and I have permanent bags under my eyes, my hair even looks dull. “I better hurry,” I tell myself. “It’ll take a while.”


No one POV

The Super Junior maknae bids farewell to his Hyungs as he leaves for the schedule. The members tell him to drink more water so he feels awake during his recording, trying their best to encourage their exhausted maknae.  After the maknae closes the dorm door, the members stop smiling and begin working.

“Donghae,” Eunhyuk calls. “Make sure to bring the copy of the file,”

“Got it in the bag by the door,” He replies.

“Heechul-ah,” Leeteuk says, “Do you have the list of teachers and guests?”

“Yeah, Shindong and Sungmin were doing a bit of research, so it’s in the laptop case.”

“Did you find anything on them?”

“It’s weird,” Heechul says, putting his coat on. “We can’t find any information on the teachers, it’s like they just never existed,”

“And the guests?” Kangin asks.

“We sent emails through fake email accounts asking them about the summer camp, but they either said they have no idea what we were talking about or they never replied.” Sungmin sighs.

“Well, if the DBSK members agree to help, maybe we’ll get a break,”

“Hyung,” Ryeowook says, “I thought of something while trying find the other campers.”

“What’s that?” Shindong asks, putting on his shoes.

“Well,” Ryeowook starts, as they walk out the dorm. Leeteuk makes sure to lock the dorm and turn off all the lights. “If you are going to run a summer camp you need a license, right?” He asks.

“Yeah,”

“And if there were alumni, then the camp had to have been renewed, right?”

“So,” Shindong nods. “That means there is a paper trail of the camp, in the mayor’s office or city hall,”

“But what city?” Heechul asks. “How can we go to city hall if we don’t know the city?”

“Well I was just thinking,” Ryeowook says, no longer happy about his idea.

“It’s still a good idea,” Kangin says, patting the eternal maknae on the back. “Once we figure out the city we can go down to city hall, get a copy of the license, and there will be a name and address.”

They make their way down to the garage where two extended vans waiting for them.

“Well,” Heechul sighs. “Thankfully we pulled our money together and bought these vans, finally. It’s cheaper than renting them.” The others nod, grumbling about the cost of gas, piling into one of the vans.

The ride is silent, as anxiety fills the air. Will the others help? Or will they call the authorities on them?

On the other side, DBSK was preparing their dorm for the eight Super Junior members. Though each of them had their own homes, they all decided to live together in the dorm when promoting an album, similar to Super Junior.

Poor Junsu was trying to make space for thirteen people in their dining room, and gained a new found respect for Super Junior. This was agonizing. The food was still being made by Changmin, Yoochun, and Jaejoong, partially because of the large portion and partially because Yoochun and Changmin kept picking at the food.

“They should be here any minute,” Changmin says to no one in particular.

“Yup,” Yoochun nods. The tension in the dorm can be felt from a mile away, but no one knows what to do to fix it. Skepticism about Kyuhyun is high because Yoochun and Jaejoong don’t really know Kyuhyun that well, well besides Changmin, none of them really know him. Yunho is worried about protecting TVXQ, and its members, afraid that helping Kyuhyun will be their ultimate end. Junsu is desperately trying to empathize with Changmin, because he knows he would risk everything for HyukJae. Changmin, though he’s made his decision before even hearing the others out, feels apologetic towards the other members. They’ve all been waiting to be together again, even if it was just for drinks, and now that their wildest dreams have come true, he’s willing to break everything he’s worked for. He knows the others might feel betrayed, but he can’t stop himself, he will always do everything in his power to protect the ones he loves. If only they could understand that he would do the same for them…

BUZZZ

The buzzer goes off, informing the members that the time they have been dreading has approached.

Jaejoong sighs, and Yunho smiles at him. He looks around the room in nods.

“Well,” He says. “Let’s serve dinner.” Yunho buzzes the others in, looking back at s.

“Yunho-ah!” Leeteuk laughs, breaking the intense atmosphere, as he enters the dorm. “You look taller every time,”

“You’re just shrinking,” Heechul smirks, looking around. “Old man,” The DBSK members can’t help but laugh at the Super Junior members. Kangin enters, rolling his eyes as Shindong is trying to convince him to model for his PC Room. Yesung, jealous as usual, asks why Shindong doesn’t want him to model. Sungmin rolls his eyes as Ryeowook and Donghae argue over who is the shortest member, as long as it’s not him he doesn’t care.

“Ya!” Eunhyuk laughs, carrying all the things the members brought, as he enters the dorm. “Who’s that ugly duckling over there,” He jokes, looking directly at Junsu.

“Ya!” Junsu laughs, running over to his childhood friend, “How dare you call me an ugly duckling you smelly monkey!”

One by one the Super Junior members create a comfortable atmosphere out of the dark and seriousness, making the crowded dorm feel cozy and like family.

“So,” Yunho says after all the members greet one another, “About Kyuhyun,”

“Let’s eat first,” Shindong whines, arm around Changmin’s shoulder. Changmin and Yoochun nod in agreement. The others murmur amongst each other in agreement, the usually mellow dorm loud with its guests.

“Okay,” Yunho laughs. “Food first, discussion later.” Cheers roar throughout the apartment. As the others stampede their way to the dining room, Ryeowook looks at the worried Jaejoong.

“Come on Hyung,” Ryeowook smiles. “If we want to eat we should hurry,” Jaejoong smiles back warily, before nodding.

Dinner is filled with laughter and cheer, as the boys fill themselves with the delicious food Jaejoong, Yoochun, and Changmin made.

“Man,” Kangin says, patting your stomach in content. “You guys are lucky that your maknae can cook,””

“Hey!” Ryeowook says, offended. “I cook!” Kangin laughs, forgetting about Wookie.

“It’s been bland lately,” Sungmin says, pouting.

“It’s because it’s healthier without all the seasonings,” 

Jokes and stories are told as the boys reminisce their old trainee days, but alas all good things come to an end.

“As much as I like talking about the past,” Yoochun says, sighing. “That’s not why you guys are here.” Everyone’s smile slowly drops, and the atmosphere turns serious.

“No,” Sungmin says. “We aren’t here to talk about our past,”

“Be we will talk about Kyuhyun’s past,” Donghae says, uncharacteristically serious. “And his present.”

“And our future,” Eunhyuk, who is sitting next to Junsu, sighs. He rubs his temples, thinking where to begin.

“Okay,” Changmin says, “Out with it. Tell us what’s going on and why we should help,”

“Well,” Heechul says. “Our maknae is suffering,”

“What do you mean by suffering?” Jaejoong asks, worried.

“He can’t sleep,” Leeteuk explains slowly. “And when he does, he has terrible nightmares.” The others nod, encouraging their leader to continue. “These nightmares affect him in a horrible way,” Leeteuk tells DBSK. “He sometimes screams, or sobs, or both. He often stops breathing when he has these nightmares.”

“That’s terrible,” Yoochun whispers, understanding the feeling of being unable to breathe.

“He also apologizes,” Kangin says softly.

“Apologizes?” Junsu asks, confused.

“Yeah, when we wake him from his dream, but he’s not fully awake, he apologizes,”

“To someone named JiHyun,” Yesung says.

“Who’s that?” Yunho asks, trying to recall anyone named JiHyun.

“We didn’t know either,” Donghae says. “So we started to do some research,”

“We couldn’t find any old school photos, any social network relations, or family relation to anyone named JiHyun,” Ryeowook shakes his head.

“So I went to a police friend of mine,” Donghae says, “And when we gave him Kyuhyun’s social security, something popped up.”

“What was it?” Changmin asks, surprised.

“It was a restricted file, unable to be obtained by the public and even by the police.” Kangin says. “So I went to a friend of mine from the military, and he was able to track down the location of the file, but not obtain it. It was military restricted,” Kangin says, looking at Yesung.

“I have some friends in the FBI,” He sighs, “So I called in a few favors, and one of them was able to get a copy of the file,”

“So what was on the file?” Jaejoong asks. Eunhyuk gets the file copies he made from the file, and passes it around.

“It’s more like, what’s not on the file,” Heechul sighs. “Most of it is out,”

“But why?” Junsu asks, confused. “This is just about some old summer camp, so why is it out? What does this have to do with Kyuhyun now?”

“Kyuhyun attended this summer camp,” Kangin answers. “And so did JiHyun.”

“Okay,” Yoochun says, “So you want us to endanger ourselves and risk treason, like you all have, so we can make Kyuhyun’s bad dreams go away?” He asks, unimpressed. “Because of a summer camp?”

“Hyung,” Ryeowook shakes his head. “There is no trace of this prestigious summer camp,”

“Not online anywhere,” Eunhyuk says. “Despite the names of famous alumni, the camp is unheard of,”

“Why would such a prestigious camp vanish? Why does the FBI have a file on the summer camp?” Leeteuk asks. “Why was it out? Who is this JiHyun kid? Why is Kyuhyun just now having nightmares about the boy? What happened recently that triggered the nightmares?”

“Something is wrong,” Changmin says. “None of this adds up,”

“We think something happened,” Heechul says, getting to the point. “And it involves a government cover up. We wouldn’t get involved and go to these extreme lengths if it didn’t involve Kyuhyun, but it does.”

“We need your help,” Leeteuk sighs, “But just as we’re risking everything to protect our family, we know you’re trying to do the same. We do not and will not blame you for not helping,”

“It sounds crazy, insane,” Eunhyuk looks at Junsu, “But we are not lying.”

“If something happened and Kyuhyun is involved with the government,” Yoochun says slowly, “And he refuses to tell you, how well do you really know Kyuhyun?”

“One is not his past,” Kangin says quietly, understanding what it is like to be judged because of something that happened in the past. “We grow, and we try to do better,”

“Hyung,” Yunho says, “We didn’t mean to bring up the assault incident or the car incident, we were just-”

“Kyuhyun told me that, before I enlisted in the military.” Kangin continues “He said we all have a past, one we wish we could forget, but we become stronger from it. We learn and grow from it,”

“You guys don’t know Kyuhyun,” Ryeowook says quietly, “And you may distrust him, and maybe you are right in doing so, but we’ve lived with him. We’ve been on stage with him, shared rooms with him, had to watch as he almost died,” The Super Junior members grow silent as memories of the precious maknae fighting for his life resurface. “Even if his past does have something, or even if he did do things while in Super Junior, it doesn’t change who our Kyuhyun is.”

The DBSK members are silent, as they remember the accident that involved Super Junior. It had slipped their minds, but now that they remembered they couldn’t help but feel guilty for not trusting the maknae. It was a hard time for all of SM, as the newest member and rising star of Super Junior was hospitalized and on life support. Super Junior was a total mess, specifically Eunhyuk, Leeteuk, and Shindong.

Junsu remembers the terrifying night he and the members were informed that their friends were in the hospital.

FLASH BACK

“What?” Yunho asks, as he and the other members stare at their teary-eyed manager in disbelief.

“Four members of Super Junior were in an accident,” Their manager repeats. “One of them is in critical condition,”

“How bad is he?” Changmin asks, eyes red with tears he’s holding back.

“They said he has a twenty percent chance of survival,” The manager chokes on the last word, wiping the tears that have fallen.

“Who was involved?” Yunho asks, eyes closed because he’s afraid if he opens them this will all be real. The manager looks at Junsu, before quickly looking away. Eyes widening, Junsu stands up from the couch.

“W-Who?” Junsu asks, tears pouring down his face. The manager looks at Junsu with apologetic eyes. “No,” Junsu cries. “No, no, no!” He shouts, crying. The others watch helplessly as Junsu sobs, all of them trying to hold themselves together. Junsu starts pacing back and forth, calling out for his friend. “HyukJae!” He screams.

“Junsu,” Their manger says. “You need to calm down,” but his words go unheard.

“HyukJae!” Junsu chokes out, coughing from the tears. “I’m sorry! I’m sorry!”

“I’ll give you guys some time,” Their manager says, existing the dorm. Junsu falls to the ground in grief.

“I should have been there,” Junsu cries, Jaejoong walks over to hold him. “I’m so sorry!”

“Su, you couldn’t have done anything,” Yoochun says, tears freely running down his cheeks.

“No!” He yells, “I should have been there! He’s my friend and I wasn’t there!” The others just watch as their brother rocks back and forth, “Please,” Junsu begs, looking up to ceiling, throat hoarse. “I’m sorry! I’m sorry!” Junsu cries. “Please don’t take HyukJae away!” Junsu cries, “I’ll pray more! I’ll go to church! Just please…” Jaejoong holds Junsu to chest. “Don’t take my friend,”

END FLASH BACK

“Guys,” Junsu gasps, snapped from his trance. The others look at him, in surprise. “I think you’re all looking at it the wrong way,” Everyone stares at Junsu, confused.

“Looking at what the wrong way?” Yunho asks, intrigued by the look of realization on Junsu’s face. Junsu shakes his head.

“Okay,” He says, wild eyed. “Describe what happens when Kyuhyun sleeps,”

“Well,” Sungmin says, confused. “If he falls into a deep sleep, Kyuhyun tends to call out for someone named JiHyun.”

“He sobs,” Kangin adds. “Apologizing over and over again,”

“He stops breathing,” Yesung sighs. “And when we wake him, he’s hysterical.”

“What are you thinking, Su?” Yoochun asks, curious.

“To be honest,” Junsu says, looking at the Super Junior members, “Before you even started talking, I just kept thinking that Kyuhyun was something like a spy, and now he couldn’t take it anymore,” Eunhyuk scoffs, causing Junsu to blush. “It was an idea! Anyway, to some degree, I think all of us thought that whatever is happening was a consequence of Kyuhyun’s own doing, right?” The others, though ashamed, nod. “But what if Kyuhyun’s innocent?” Junsu asks.

“What do you mean?” Eunhyuk asks. Innocent of what?

“Well, when you guys brought up the accident,” Junsu says quietly. “I remembered when I found out, I went crazy.” He admits, not looking at his best friend. “They said that someone was seriously injured and that you were involved, I thought that you were in Kyuhyun’s place. I-I went crazy. I started screaming and crying,” Junsu says to his friend for the first time out loud. “I started calling your name, apologizing,” Junsu takes a deep breath. “I-I thought were going to die, and I couldn’t do anything to help you,” The DBSK members go quiet as they remember Junsu going crazy at the thought of losing his dearest friend, forced to watch because none of them could help him.

“Ya,” Eunhyuk says, trying to joke, but actually deeply touched by his friend’s words. “Do you think I could leave the others to deal with you?” He laughs, softly punching Junsu’s shoulder. “Only I can handle your stupidity,” Junsu laughs, wiping a few tears that had escaped. “Though,” Eunhyuk continues. “It didn’t really prepare me for Donghae,”

“Hey!” Donghae shouts, eyes watering because of Junsu’s story. The others laugh softly, shaking their heads at the mischievous bunch.

“What I’m saying is,” Junsu continues, “What if Kyuhyun was JiHyun’s friend, and they did nothing wrong, but JiHyun ended up getting hurt,” The others started to understand what Junsu meant. “Maybe he got seriously injured and Kyuhyun blames himself,”

“Or worse,” Yesung says, causing the others to look at him. “What if he’s dead?” Something clicks inside all of the members heads.

“That makes sense,” Yoochun says, eyes wide. “That could be why they disbanded the summer camp,”

“No parent wants to send their kid to camp so they could die,” Heechul nods.

“Kyuhyun feels guilty that he couldn’t protect his friend, which is why he’s apologizing,” Shindong says.

“But why would he feel guilty now?” Jaejoong thinks aloud.

“Maybe the murder was just set free, and Kyuhyun found out,” Sungmin says, eyes widening. “Poor Kyuhyun,” He looks at Ryeowook.

“Why did the FBI get involved, though?” Ryeowook asks. “And why would they blackout the file?” The others ponder the question. Usually the police would investigate murders, why would the FBI get involved? The group becomes noisy, trying to understand. Kangin, suddenly goes pale.

“What is it Hyung?” Changmin asks, worried. At Changmin’s words, everyone turns to Kangin.

“Well,” Kangin says, clearing his throat, “Maybe it wasn’t just one kid,” With these words, the room becomes silent. “What if multiple campers died that summer, and the FBI wanted to keep quiet about it?”

“B-But they,” Junsu shakes his head in disbelief, “T-They wouldn’t keep that from the public,” He says, looking at the others. “Right?”

“Okay, okay,” Yunho says, calming everyone down. “Everything so far is speculation. We need to get evidence to find out if any of this is true.” The others nod, agreeing that they need to find evidence.

“But before we continue this,” Leeteuk says, “We need to know if you guys are willing to help us,” The DBSK members look at each other. “This is dangerous, and we could all end up in prison,”

“If it means protecting Kyuhyun,” Changmin says, looking at his hyungs apologetically, “I’m in.” Yunho stares at Changmin, before nodding.

“Changmin’s our family, so I’m in,”

“Me too,” Junsu says, looking at Eunhyuk, “If it was HyukJae, I’d want the support of my friends and family,”

“Okay,” Jaejoong says. “I can get research on Kyuhyun’s family,”

“Family?” Donghae asks.

“Well, if something happened to Kyuhyun as a child that involved federal agents, his parents and sister would know, right?” Jaejoong asks. Everyone nods, amazed by this thought.

“Fine,” Yoochun sighs. “I’ll see what I can do,” He says. “But only because I love my fans, and Kyuhyun is after all my fan,” The others roll their eyes.

“We’re all in this together,” Yunho says, smiling at Changmin. “Till the end."


Hey Guys,

Here's the chapter I promised! It took me a little while longer to write this one. In case you guys can't tell, I love Eunhyuk and Junsu's friendship, so here's a little something dedicated to that.

Once again, I just want to thank all my readers and those who comment on my story. It really means a lot, and it keeps me motivated to write. I hope you will continue to support my story!

-Love, ALL4ALL