Yoongi's Watchful Eyes

How to Survive a Zombie Apocalypse (Permanent Hiatus)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 8

( Yoongi's Watchful Eyes )

 

Hollyn’s Point of View

 

 

Tall blades of grass tickled my calves, and brushed against my thighs. I stretched a hand out, trailing it over the grass gently. It was soft, so soft I could barely feel it. A cool breeze washed over me as I stood there, looking out across the field I was in. It seemed endless from here, stretching out for as far as I could see.

The heat from the sun made me feel relaxed, and I stood there watching the tall grass sway in the wind. I tipped my head back and sighed, enjoying the feeling of the wind rippling across my sun-warmed skin, and the fabric of my white dress fluttering against my legs.

I couldn’t remember the last time I’d felt like this-- so free, and happy. It had been so long that I had almost forgotten the word for it. But as soon as I thought about it, the word rang through my head. Peaceful.

As I stood there, basking in the sunlight, I heard a familiar laugh behind me. The sound carried on the breeze, and it made me smile involuntarily. I opened my eyes and turned, the grass rustingling against me and catching on my dress. A few yards away, Jimin was running toward me, laughing. The wind whipped through his hair, pushing it back from his handsome face. He grinned and his eyes turned into the crescents I loved to see. He spread his arms wide as he ran toward me, and my smile widened.

Once he was close enough, he threw his arms around my waist and pulled me against his chest. I giggled as he lifted me off my feet and spun me around. My arms went around his neck and my dress rippled in my wake. Jimin laughed again, the sound light and airy. His eyes glittered and he set me back on my feet gently, keeping his arms wrapped around me. He pulled me closer, tucking me against his chest in a gentle embrace. I rested my head against his shoulder, and I leaned into him as I slipped my arms around his waist. His warmth seeped into me, warming me more than the sun ever could. I relaxed and curled my fingers into the fabric his t-shirt. He swayed slightly, humming under his breath. We stayed like that for what seemed like an eternity.

Still, it was too soon when his muscled arms loosened their grip and slowly broke us apart. He pulled away from me until we stood face to face. His face was serious now, and he stared at me with a frightening intensity. We looked into each other’s eyes, and I saw his gaze dart down to my lips. His eyes were dark, captivating. They pulled me in, and I couldn’t look away. Before I realized what was happening, we both began to lean in. My heart pounded against my ribs.

Finally, my mind sighed.

I closed my eyes, and leaned in further, waiting readily for the kiss.

I waited. And I waited. And nothing happened.

After another moment, I opened my eyes, and immediately gasped in horror.

The field I had been in with Jimin was gone, and instead of grass, my feet crunched against the rubble of broken glass and concrete. I spun around, my heart leaping into my throat in terror. Jimin was gone. The field was gone. Even my dress had transformed, becoming ragged and stained with dirt, blood, and large scorch marks. It clung to my body, giving me little warmth as the freezing wind whipped against my skin. I wrapped my arms around myself and looked around in horror. I was on top of a skyscraper, towering high above a maze of buildings and choked highways.

The city below me was burning.

Flames leapt toward the sky, and threatened to consume the building beneath my feet. The smoke stung my eyes and I gaped. The fire didn’t end. From here, it looked like the entire world was burning.

Fear engulfed me just as the fire was engulfing the city. Smoke invaded my lungs and I coughed hard. I had to get out of here. I had to get off of this building, and out of this city. I had to find Jimin, and Yoongi. I had to get to them and save them. Who knew where they were, or if they were even alive. I turned, and tried to run. There had to be a fire escape, or a set of stairs. There had to be.

Before I could get far, something cold and sharp yanked hard against my ankle. I fell forward, tumbling to the ground. I landed hard on my hands and knees, and glass shards cut deep into my palms. I hardly felt it. I snapped my gaze back toward my ankle and fear made my head spin.

I felt sick as I saw the chains wrapped around my ankle, anchoring me to the ground. I tugged against the chains, but they didn’t budge. They were melded to the concrete. They weren’t going anywhere, and neither was I. I looked up, desperation clawing up my throat.

To my surprise, Yoongi stood above me. He had an evil glint in his eye. A shudder ran down my spine, and I cringed away from him. He gave me a crooked smile, and the firelight from the burning city reflected in his black eyes.  

“You know, Hollyn, I’m a real genius. A real, ing genius. Fire kills zombies, right?” He looked out over the fire, and grinned. He extended an arm toward it, and looked back at me. “Let’s just set the world on fire! We can get rid of all of those ing s, once and for all,” Yoongi snickered.

A low growl came from beside me. I snapped my gaze toward the source of the sound, shoving myself backward. The glass scraped against my legs, but the sight in front of me took all of my attention. Standing on my other side was Jimin, but… it wasn’t him.

Jimin was a zombie. His mouth was gaping, his broken and bloody teeth gnashing together as he reached his rotting hands toward me. I scrambled back, my heart in my throat. His hair was falling out in clumps, leaving bald, blackened skin in its wake. His face was pale green, and his eyes were bloodshot. A sob built in my chest. How did this happen?

I watched in horror as a chain suddenly tightened around Jimin’s neck. THe metal bit deep into his skin, and he strained against it, reaching for me as foam gathered at the corners of his mouth. I followed the chain with my eyes, and saw the other end wrapped around Yoongi’s fist. Yoongi dragged the chain backward, laughing as he pulled Jimin away from me. He yanked again and took a step back, wrapping the chain around his hand another time. He took another step, pulling Jimin along with him. The further he drug Jimin from me, the closer they got to the edge of the building. Jimin stumbled behind him, scrabbling at the collar around his neck.

As Yoongi tugged at the chain, I was hit with a sickening realization: he was going to throw Jimin over the edge.

“Yoongi, stop!” I screamed. “Jimin’s your friend!” I scrambled to my feet and tried to run toward them, but my own chain was still keeping me in place. I couldn’t reach them. I couldn’t stop Yoongi. I was too late.

Yoongi pulled Jimin up by his collar, keeping him at arm’s length. He didn’t look the slightest bit afraid of Jimin, despite the younger boy’s rotten teeth snapping just inches away from his hands. Yoongi twisted slightly, and pushed Jimin back a step. He looked back at for a split second.

“The Jimin I knew died when he became a zombie.”

That was the last thing he said before he shoved Jimin over the side of the building, into the fire below.

I jolted awake and sat straight up, a cry frozen on my lips. I was surrounded by darkness, and I forgot where I was. My heart was racing and my skin was slick with cold sweat. My eyes were slow to adjust to the darkness, but eventually I was able to make out the familiar shapes in the living room of the hose we’d stopped at for the night. I dropped my head into my hands and let out a shaky sigh. Holy . Holy .

It was just a dream.

That was one of the worst nightmares I had ever had. I couldn’t even remember the last time I’d woken up so scared, so confused. I really believed it was happening. I really thought that Jimin was a zombie, and that Yoongi…

I shook my head, trying to clear it of the remaining images of the nightmare. The glow of the flames still flickered behin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter