A Burning Gas Station

How to Survive a Zombie Apocalypse (Permanent Hiatus)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 1

 

(I swear my writing gets better and longer after the first couple chapters. I'll eventually come back and edit the out this.)

 

 

 

Desi's Point of View

 

 

Burning. Everything was burning, and I don’t mean figuratively. I mean that the gas station we decided to stop at was literally on fire. Leave it to Taehyung to decide that instead of sneaking past the flesh-eating zombies, we should fight every one we see. This decision usually resulted in explosives going off, fires starting, and lots of screaming-- mostly from Hoseok. We might as well hold up a sign that says, “Eat me!”

 

I had to high-tail it out off there because I’m pretty sure Taehyung had more explosives planted, and I didn’t know when or where he was going to set them off. I weaved in and out of the aisles, and past racks of burning candy bars and chips. I noticed most of the zombies left in here were either dead or retreating. For a bunch of mindless corpses, they had a pretty good sense of when to back off-- especially from a bunch of crazy people.

 

 

The door was just ahead of me. I was almost out. I could practically taste the fresh air in my smoke-filled lungs. But just as I opened the door to escape, another explosive went off behind me. The boom was deafening, but I hardly heard it as I flew through the open doorway. I was knocked off my feet, only to land face first onto the sidewalk. I hit hard enough to knock the breath out of me, and I rolled another couple of yards down the sidewalk. Loose gravel and shards of glass sliced into my skin as I slid across the concrete.

 

Mentally, I sigh.

 

This is what I have to live with. Day-to-day misadventures like this, because I had the dumb luck to be paired with dumb and dumber. Or, as they prefer to be called, Hoseok and Taehyung.

 

 

******

 

 

 

But before I get into that, I suppose I should explain a few things.

 

Hello. My name is Desi. This is the story about how I, and my friends, played a role in the zombie apocalypse. In order to catch you up to speed on what is happening now, I have to give you a bit of backstory.

 

Our government in America has always been secretive and manipulative. However, they were our government so we were given no choice but to trust them. Americans held onto that trust until the year 2016. That’s when when a new “flu” virus began to spread. Nobody really knows how it started. What we do know is that it started to change people.

 

It changed them in physical and mental ways. The infected’s skin became a pale greenish color, their eyes turned bloodshot, they became agitated and easily angered, and they started to develop abnormal eating habits.

 

Of course, everyone at the time had to have seen at least one zombie movie, so people got scared, fast. The similarities between this virus and the zombie movies we’ve all seen were too coincidental to be real. The government released its statement that the virus was nothing to worry about. It was just a “flu” virus, and that it would pass.

 

They were so wrong.

 

It only became worse. Everyday the news stations would broadcast stories of the infected eating the non-infected. If someone was bitten, they would turn as well. This virus soon earned the title “Z virus”, and as far as America knew, there was no cure.

 

Because the American government hadn’t dealt with this properly when it began, the virus quickly spread to the rest of the world. Millions of people were becoming infected every day. The government was pressed to do something, and so they did.

 

After months of research, the government found out that a certain blood type was immune to this disease. The only problem was that it was only those with O- blood, which made up about 6% of the American population.

 

Upon discovering this, the government acted quickly. They extracted all of the O- bloods types and placed them in several “safe houses” around the country. There are about 5 of them now. There is one that is considered the capital safe house-- more of a sanctuary than anything. It is said that it’s located in the state of Washington, but this is only a rumor.

 

After this project, however, the government had another major problem to deal with. There were still some Americans who were not yet infected, but were not immune. What to do with them?

 

Apparently someone thought it was a good idea to make them fight for their lives. The safe houses could only hold so many people, and they were filling up too quickly. So the government decided only the strongest survivors could be allowed to live in sanctuary.

 

They tricked us into calling a certain number if we were not bitten yet. They said they would track the call, pick us up and bring us to safety. Well they did two of the three. They tracked the call, picked us up, and then knocked us ou

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter