You're Mine

How to Survive a Zombie Apocalypse (Permanent Hiatus)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 11

( You’re Mine )

 

Desi’s Point of View


 

You know what? I actually liked my life before yesterday. It was simpler then. Just Taehyung, Hoseok and I as we traveled cross country to try and find Jin and Namjoon. The three idiot amigos battling zombies and trying not to get blown up. That was us.

Then, the accident happened. It was all a blur. I could hardly remember it, not that I was sure I wanted to. A falling play place, almost dying, a horde of zombies... Not my best moment, I admit.

But none of that was even the worst part. The worst part was being saved by the most handsome guy I’d ever seen. He swooped in, all gleaming brown eyes and heartbreaking smile, and carried me to safety. I guess he helped and all, but I totally had it under control. Well… Maybe not.

He may have saved me, but now I look weak in front of him. Make no mistake, I am not weak. If anyone tells you different, I’ll castrate their . Well, I actually can’t do that because of medical reasons, but you get what I’m trying to say!

Oh, yeah! Did I forget to mention that my heart feels like it's about to jump out of my chest every time he looks at me? ‘Cause that's not so fun either. I do my best not to show it, though. I don’t stutter or blush, and I make eye contact with him. Someone should really give me an award for this wonderful acting. Seriously.

 

Anyway, Jungkook had only been traveling with us for a couple of days, but it felt like a lifetime. He fit in with our little group of misfits like he'd been there all along, though I supposed that came from knowing Hoseok and Taehyung from before. The four of us had an easy banter, and so it was basically like it was before. Except that there was a lot more flirting aimed at me from our new member.

 

Despite us running around and being chased by zombies all day, he still found time to flirt with me. I would be minding my own business, trying not to die, and he could have a zombie attached to his leg but still want to wonder why an angel like me fell from heaven.

 

Ugh. Don't even get me started on that pet name.

 

Angel, angel, angel. It was all I ever heard from the guy. He probably only called me by my real name once. I mean I couldn't really complain-- the guy was gorgeous, and funny, and smart, and I had to admit that the pet name was growing on me-- but he should at least have waited to flirt until after we were out of danger. He was literally driving the truck with a pack of runner zombies riding our . Focus on the damn road. I would like to live, thank you very much.

 

Once we got away from the runners, I’d gladly flirt back. Give a few winks, some sly gestures, and cheesy one-liners here and there. Until then, I was strictly business. I still had to prove to him that I was not weak. Whether that meant smashing a zombie’s skull in with my boot, or body slamming one against a wall, I’d do it. Whatever worked.

 

Bang!

 

A shot rang out, bringing me back to reality. Taehyung and I were in the bed of the truck, holding on to whatever we could to keep ourselves from being thrown out as Jungkook swerved to keep the runners off of our backs. The wind whipped through our  hair and beat against our faces as the truck sped down the highway. Through the back window, I could see Hoseok struggling with a map as he tried to find a road for us turn onto. Taehyung had his gun pointed at the pack of runners behind us, shooting at the ones that came too close.

 

I may have forgotten to mention that when I talked about runner zombies, I was talking about zombies that can run up to about 60 miles per hour-- a bit faster than the running speed of a human.

 

“Earth to Desi!” Taehyung called as he waved his hand in front of my face. I snapped my gaze up to him and he pointed at the zombies with his gun. “Stop daydreaming and start shooting!” He yelled over the wind. I nodded and looked back toward the approaching pack. They were gaining on us quickly, and they'd probably overrun us if Taehyung and I didn't take care of them, fast.

 

A group of three zombies broke away from the pack and pulled ahead. They sped toward the truck, teeth snapping and hair flying in the wind. Taehyung was occupied with a group of two that had run up alongside the truck, and he was having some trouble picking them off. I was going to have to deal either the three on my own.

 

I lifted my gun and took careful aim, setting my sights on the middle zombie. I took a breath, and just as I was about to squeeze the trigger, Jungkook swerved to the right. I jerked to the side and my gun went off. The bullet went wide, missing the pack completely. I cussed and smacked the back window in annoyance. What a waste of a bullet.

 

The swerve had helped Taehyung lose one zombie, but the pack of three was getting steadily closer. They were only about ten feet out now, and moving fast. I lifted my gun again, and took aim. I squeezed off a another shot and the one on the left jolted as the bullet ripped through it's skull. It crumpled and rolled for a few yards, tripping up a good portion of the pack behind it. I swung my gun toward the other two, who were almost on the truck. My heart began to pound. I couldn't afford to miss now.

 

I glanced over at Taehyung, hoping for a hand to help me take them out. He was still firing off shots at the remaining zombie, but it seemed to be dodging his bullets. I cursed and shook my head, looking back at the zombies. They were closer now, so close that they could almost reach the tailgate. Easy pickings. I aimed at the one on the right and fired. The bullet clipped it's head and it screeched as the force threw it to the side. It stumbled and fell, and I released the breath I hadn't realized I'd been holding. Only one left.

 

Before I could even aim at it, the last zombie leaped, it's arm reaching out to grab the tailgate. It's arms hooked on the gate and it hauled itself upward as it climbed into the bed of the truck. I lifted my gun, heart pounding. Despite the wind, I could smell the stench of death and rot emanating from the creature. It's snapped its jaws and loose skin flapped around its cheeks, revealing the gleam of its remaining teeth. My stomach rolled and I knew I'd never get a shot off in time. It was too fast.

 

The zombie darted forward, but instead of going for me, like I thought it would, it went for Taehyung.

 

He would never even see it coming.

 

“Taehyung!” I yelled.

 

I released my hold on the side of the truck and threw myself at the zombie. My gun fell and skittered away from me, out of reach. I tackled the zombie onto the bed of the truck, careful of its teeth and nails. We rolled and I almost vomited at the smell that was overwhelming me. I heard Taehyung yell, but he couldn't shoot the zombie. I was too close to it. He would risk hitting me, and I knew he wouldn't dare. I had to handle this on my own.

 

I barred my arm across the zombie’s throat and pushed downward. We hit the tailgate, but the zombie hit first, softening the hit. It struggled against me, straining and reaching for me. It's fingers ripped at my clothes and it kicked at me, but it couldn't get purchase. It wouldn't belong before it did, though. I had to act quickly. I had an idea of what to do, but it was not going to be easy.

 

I sent a quick prayer to whoever might be listening, and reached up around the tailgate. My fingers found the handle, and I pulled. The tailgate fell open, and I shoved the zombie hard. It fell, scream

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter