Decision

Parallel Lines

 “What did I do to deserve this?” she said and sniffed at him as tears fell from her eyes. “I’m… sorry…” She muttered as she closed her eyes.

His heart drop with the silence. Sadly, he looked away and let go of her hand. Before he could let go he felt a pull on his hand and look back up Bora. She helped him stand up.

She doesn’t want to…. She probably gave up on me already…

Jong Kook look away from her and look into the sky. “It’s okay…” He managed to say as his eyes became teary too. “I should have known.”

Jong Kook turned away and sadly held back his tears.

I’ll be ok… Tomorrow will be a better day…

He was about to walk away as he felt two tiny arms wrap around his body from the back. Bora hugged him and held him tightly.

“B-Bora…” he whispered.

“Jong Kook oppa.” she called his name louder as her voice muffled against his back. “I…love you.”

His ears perked up and turned to her and wiped away the tears that streak from her eyes. Even when she cries, she still looks like a little girl.

“You don’t have to say that… I know I’m late.” he croaked out. He removed his hand from her face as she suddenly held it, making him jump.

“You haven’t heard my whole answer yet.”

Jong Kook’s eyes lit up in hope.

“Kim Jong Kook. I’m… willing to marry you. But are you willing to wait for me?” she asked.

“Wait for you?” he stutter and she nodded.

“My answer is a yes. So is yours also a yes?”

He wanted to know why but her answer already made him light up in joy.

“My answer… is no.” He said, her eyes look down sadly. “Because, life is too short to decide when you find the right person at the right time. Life is too short to keep waiting. You waited for me for 5 years already… I don’t want another 5 years to pass me by.” He gripped her hand back. “Let’s engage first and talk about marriage later…okay?” he pleaded.

He waited nervously again for her answer. Bora nodded and hugged Jong Kook as they embraced each other under the stars and moon.

****

The newly engaged couple spent their time living together as Bora moved in to live with Jong Kook in his place.

He filled her days with daily doses of love as he began to show her his warmth.

“Jong Kook oppa,” Bora leaned on his back as they were feeding each other food for the picnic. “If I were to wrong you one day, will you hate me?”

“Do you want to die?” he turned around, making her fall back as he asked her and flicked her head. She stared at him with her doll eyes. “I’m just kidding. Why would oppa kill you?” he held her chin.

“Oppa~” she tried to aegyo.

“I won’t hate you. But I will be really mad.” He pouted to her. “So, don’t wrong me. What if I were to wrong you?” She smiled and flick his head this time.

“Oh really? I’ll be sure to make you regret.” and flick his forehead again.

“Yah, you little brat.” She stuck out her tongue and ran into the field of grasses as he ran after her. He caught her from behind and swung her around. It was a beautiful day, the sky was sunny and blue, the grasses were green, the flowers vibrant, her smile warm and their laughter and giggle filled the air.

They were preparing for their wedding as news broke out about Bora’s wedding in the media. Many congratulated her and wanted to see her groom. Jong Kook wanted to show everyone he was her man, but his business says otherwise. He promised to reveal himself after their wedding and honeymoon.

He still and make fun of her, but they made up fast. During the time they lived together, Jong Kook promised to not do anything until their marriage.

“When did you become such a gentleman?” Bora asked.

“I have always been a gentleman.” Jong Kook took off his watch and put it in the drawer.

“Tsk~” She clicked her tongue. “Lies.” Jong Kook unloosen his sleeve button and was ready to his shirt. She only kept her eyes on him.

“Aren’t you going to turn the other way?” Jong Kook asked in the midst of ing his shirt.

“Why should I? You’re just a guy.” Bora stick out her tongue. “You’re not all that.”

Jong Kook chuckled and continued ing his shirt. “But I think you do.” He look at her from head to toe. She was dressed in a loose t-shirt and shorts with her hair tied in a ponytail.

“What?” She finally caught his eye when she stopped touching her phone. He only kept his gaze on her, a small grin at the corner of his mouth.

“We don’t have to wait if you don’t want to.” Bora’s mouth went agape and she quickly stood up from leaning on the accessory counter.

“Yah! W-What are you saying? Crazy ert…” She quickly exit the closet as Jong Kook ran after her.

“I’m for real.” Jong Kook as he rested his head at the crook of her neck and wrapped his arms to her waist, picking her up to the bed.

“Huh? No no no no no no no no!” She protested. Jong Kook rested her on the bed as he leaned down and tickled her. She screamed and giggle as they tried to tickle each other. “Oppa, don’t hahaha.”

Jong Kook finally stopped as she rested still under him. He kissed her forehead and laid on the bed, pulling her into his chest.

“I wish everyday was like this.” Jong Kook commented as he peck her head and held her hand.

****

Jong Kook kissed her forehead.

“Do you really have to go?”

“Why, miss me already?” he pinched her cheeks.

“Ani, it’s just…”

“Just what?’ Jong Kook held her chin.

“I need to tell you something.”

“You can tell me now.” But Bora shook her head.

“I’ll tell you when you come back.”

“Aigoo, aigoo. My childish fiancé is so secretive.” He was about to leave when he felt her pull his arm back.

“Oppa, can you not go?”

“I heard that my father is sick. I promise I’ll be right back.” She lightly nodded and let go of his arm.

“Come back soon and be careful. Tell your parents I said hello.” He smiled and locked the door behind them.

****

Jong Kook arrived at his parents place as his face grew grim. He never wanted to return home ever since he moved away. Despite its extravagant decorations and elegant accessories, it was so empty.

He entered through the big door as he caught sight of his parents with some guests. He bowed at a 90 degree angle and greeted them.

“Oh so this is your son? How handsome.” the lady complimented.

“We are very flattered. You have such a beautiful daughter too.” Mrs. Kim replied.

Mr. Kim gestured for Jong Kook to sit at the table as he look over at them and tried to be as polite as he can.

“This is my second son Kim Jong Kook. He’s the president of Diamonds and hotel ventures in Cheondongdam and ApguJung.” Mr. Kim boasted.

“I heard that he also expanded his business to the States. Congratulations.” said the other man.

“I am flattered.” Jong Kook bowed in acknowledgement.

“You’re so lucky to have a great business son.” the man laughed.

“Oh you’re here?” the lady turned to the entrance. Jong Kook only look up in curiosity to see Clara doing the same. He stood up as Clara headed towards them.

“You already know each other?” the lady asked.

“Uh… nneh.” she glanced at Jong Kook.

“We are colleagues from the same university.” Jong Kook answered.

“Wonderful, it must be fate.” the two old ladies squirm in excitement.

“But what is going on here mother?” Clara asked the lady while Jong Kook quickly greeted the couple again, realizing they were her parents. Jong Kook was curious too but he didn’t want to repeat the question.

“The reason we are meeting today is to settle down a topic that has come up recently.”

Jong Kook was confused, he thought his father was sick but he seems to be doing well. What settlement are they talking about?

“Marriage.” the two men stated.

“Marriage?!” the two children look at each other in surprised.

“Father-“ Jong Kook started but his mother pulled him back. He never heard of this settlement before.

“It is a business marriage that will benefit both groups.” they continued. “We have already agreed on this marriage and are letting the two of you meet.”

“Since you already know each other, it is much better.” Mrs. Lee assured.

“The wedding will be coming up in the next 2months, so you two can plan the wedding.” Mrs. Kim added.

Jong Kook’s mind tumble around and his head hurt from all the talking. He can’t do this to Bora.

“I have something to say.” Jong Kook interrupted. “I’m already engage.” he showed them his ring.

The two ladies gasped as the men grunted.

“I apologize, but I cannot continue this business marriage.” he ended and got up as his mother went to hold him.

“Who is she? Don’t tell me it’s that idol orphaned girl.”

“Omma-“

“Oh my, he has a woman already. What about my daughter?” Mrs. Lee asked.

“It’s nothing.” Mrs. Kim said.

“I’m sorry Mr. and Mrs. Lee, but this is unacceptable to me. I have a woman I’m ready to marry and your daughter is still young and talented. I think that you will be able to find a better and more suitable bachelor for her.” Jong Kook bowed once again but his father stood up and smack him loudly. Clara stood up in shock and wanted to comfort him but she didn’t want to interfere.

“How dare you.” Mr. Kim said. “I am the law in this house. If you don’t continue with this marriage, don’t even think of getting a penny of my inheritance. Only your brother will get it.” he threatened Jong Kook who only tried to remain calm.

“Your inheritance? I don’t want any of it. To me, that asset of yours is sick and unreasonable. You want me to be like you and mother?” Jong Kook finally asked.

“Marriage is not between to people but family.” Mr. Kim concluded. “Your mother and I went through the same thing yet we got along and had you and your brother.”

“Ani,” Jong Kook shook his head. “You both never got along, we were only the seeds to your benefit. I don’t want to end up like you and mother, running back and forth between your family and mistress. Isn’t it tiring, father?” Jong Kook exploded and received a smack of cold water .

“You-“ His father raised the cane to hit him but Clara ran and stop his father.

“Sir, please don’t do anything rash.” She begged as her parents came towards them.

“Clara-ssi…”

“Sweetie…” her mother called her. Jong Kook look down at Clara who stood with her back in front of him, her arms wide to protect him.

“I agree,” Clara announced. Jong Kook turned around to see her kneeled on the ground in front of his parents and hers and bowing before them. “A person whose heart is not connected together should not be tied from the very beginning. I feel the same way as Jong Kook oppa.”

“Clara…” her parents were astounded by her confrontation. She bowed again. Jong Kook has no words as he still kneeled on the floor with water still dripping down his face.

“Why are you doing this sweetie?” her mother chirped. She refuses to get up and only look up at them with her pleading eyes.

“Up from birth ‘til now, I have never once requested anything. Please yield to my request. Mother, father, Mr. and Mrs. Kim, please have mercy on me. I’m sure you all know what it’s like to be in a business marriage. For me, marriage is supposed to be an intention with no motive but only to be together and build a life with your loved one.”

She turned to her parents, “Father, you wouldn’t want me to run home crying over my husband’s affair would you? Mrs. Kim, would you like to see your son mistreat me and run and hide to meet his lover while I’m giving birth?” She turned to glance at Jong Kook before continuing.

“Please…” She looked down again as she managed to utter those last words of request. “…end this marriage.”

Jong Kook felt appeased. He knew Clara was a great friend, but he didn’t know that she was so strong willed to stand up for him too.

Her father said nothing, only nodded in distress and stormed off with her mother turning to Jong Kook’s parents, signaling them to talk in private. Clara only smiled weakly and got up, helping Jong Kook get up too. Jong Kook got up to her height and looked down at his friend. She was sincerely trying to help him.

With her hands still on his arms, she moved to place his hair away from his face and gently smile. “Go.” She said, making Jong Kook confused. Could he leave now? Was the arrange marriage over? “She must be waiting for you.”

“Clara…” He only muttered her name as she let go of him and turned away.

“Leave before I change my mind.” She threaten him and tried to sound as cheerful as possible. Indeed, she was dying inside. A bullet of remorse hit him as he heard her forceful cheerful voice. He wanted to apologize to her but this was his only chance to live with Bora happily once and for all.

“Thank you.” he whispered to her before walking away, trying to not feel guilty to run back to her and apologize for using her over and over again, rejecting her feelings. As he disappeared, Clara could only then broke down and let her tears fall, half smiling and half teary.