An Army Of Shadows

The Five Dynasties
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Warning mention of suicide:

A/N: Sorry about the long wait, I've been in the hospital for the past couple weeks (dw I'm okay now) Hope you enjoy! 
---------------------


And as he held her in his arms, and as the light left her eyes. He roared. A raging fire igniting deep inside him and it would not due until he spilled blood.

     

“When?” Suho shouted, jumping to his feet. They were all stunned by Areum’s confession. The hush among them weighed on each and every one of their shoulders.

 

“They plan to commit genocide. “ Areum whispered but all of them heard it quite clearly.

 

“They plan to kill all the royals. Starting with the heads.”

 

It didn't take long for them to realize that the heads of the royals, were the council.

 

“In the next few days, I don't know when exactly. God I should've known.” Areum had her head in her hands. Her body tense. “There were so many warnings-I should’ve known.”

 

Kris pushed Suho down, so he was sitting again. Kris looked at Areum from under his lashes. Lethal seriousness wafted from him. He held his hands together, leaning forward. There wasn’t a trace of guilt on Kris’s face. But guilt dripped from every grim expression on his fellow members faces. “Now is not the time to blame yourself. You can do that after all this is done. We need to prepare, we need to warn everyone.”

 

“If we make it.” Areum stated. Her striking amber eyes locked on the patterns on the wooden floors. Her hair fell in purple and grey tendrils around her creamy face. Chanyeol was the only one close enough to smell the salt of her tears. He reached out to touch her, to correct her.

 

“We’ll make it. All of us. We’re powerful. We will survive this.” Chanyeol rubbed Areum’s thigh tenderly. He made eye contact with his friends, friends that were his family. He loved each and every person in this room and he knew everyone felt the same way. They had been through so much and they would go through much, much more. They would survive this, like they survived the last centuries. “We are Exo. We are one.”

 

It was true, they were one. Years of fighting together taught them that. They moved as one, never splitting up. They were whole, with all thirteen members sitting in a circle. They were whole. But they would never be whole again. At least, not in this lifetime.

 

“We are one.”

 

-----------------------------------------

 

“The orchid revolution plans to commit genocide. They plan to kill us all.” Xiumin informed the council members, who were distraught and frowning. The strict lady they had first met wasn’t there. Chanyeol had never seen the council like this, uncomposed, panicked. Zhang Jin’s hand trembled. “Their first targets are you, the council. We don’t know when the attacks will start-”

 

“-They have already started.” Luhan cut Suho off, walking towards the council. “They’ve already killed people, haven’t they? They’ve already executed one of you.”


The councillor's jaws dropped and they did a double take. Areum narrowed her eyes at them.

 

“How did you-”
“That’s not important. What’s important now is finding a way to stop this. Before more of innocent people are killed.” Areum turned into the Areum they had seen in their past lives. The Areum that had survived wars, endless bloodshed, and genocide. The Areum that calmly saved the lives of millions. “Have you tracked the killers?”

 

“Killer. And no, our agents are already at the scene. The killer slit her own throat.” Areum, along with Kris, Suho, Luhan and Xiumin pushed past the council to look down at the pictures and reports scattered across the table. The other members followed, crowding around the table. Several gasps came from the boys around the table. Areum gripped the table tightly and all Chanyeol could do was gape.

 

“Auntie.” Areum whispered and everyone’s eyes snapped to her teary ones. Her face drained of colour and she bit her tongue to stop the sob piling in . Pity, melancholy, anger, and sympathy washed over her friends faces. But not Chanyeol’s no, his lips were drawn tight and his skin pale. His eyes held anger, but a sort of confusion that Areum understood.

 

“Kim Hye Jin. She was the second highest ranked rebel. She was the leader of the failed rebellion all those years ago. Seems like she finally realized what a monster she was.”

 

“And when will you?” Areum looked, eyes darkly blank, at the council member who spook. A shudder ran down his spine. Areum turned her attention back to the table, she pulled out a map that was hidden beneath all the scattered paper and began marking places on the map.

 

One, two, three, six places in total. All of them would be bustling with royals at this time of day.

 

“These are the places they plan to attack. We just have to figure out where Heian is going, because that’s where we need to be. And don’t suggest that we split up because that is signing all of our deaths.”

 

“You know him the best Areum. What does Heian want?”

 

She let out a troubled sigh. “Blood. Blood. That's all he ever wants. Blood and pain. Always pain.”

 

A frown creased Chanyeol’s forehead. That sounded familiar. But no matter how much he thought he couldn't remember.

 

“He’ll go to the place where the most blood will be shed, where he can torment people as if they were ants wandering beneath him. He’ll go to the school and spill the blood of children. Because that's who he is.” A broken darkness loomed over Areum as she bent her head down. Hurt and hatred, it seemed to radiate off her. “We have to stop him at all costs, ast time I showed him a sliver of mercy. Now I show him none.”

 

Areum shut her eyes, the faces of Bobby and Jungkook printed on them. Jungkook smiling, his laugh fluttering in her ears. He was the most innocent, the youngest of them all. She tied to protect him and his childish side. He had so much faith in the world, it was bittersweet. Anger hit her hard. The man that claimed to be her father knew that Jungkook had been killed yet she had to find out from her blood brother. She was left to grieve him in a dark cage. Bobby was grinning, his eyes crinkling and beaming brilliantly. He was her best friend, he was there for her. Where was she when he needed her? Where was she when Heian killed him? She was gone. She was running, running away from him. When she should have been running to him.

 

No, don’t think like that. He let you go so you could stop Heian. He sacrificed himself for you, don’t let his last wish go to waste. Fight. Luhan’s voice echoed in her head. Cutting through her thoughts like a knife. She looked up at the pretty boy, whose eyes were supportive. She sent him a grateful smile. He was right. Beating herself would do nothing to help.

 

She still had V. He was alive. She could feel in her bones and in her heart. He was alive. For how long, she didn’t know. She swallowed the lump forming in , making sure to keep her eyes off the pictures of the woman who raised her. Grieve later, fight now.

 

“We must prepare.”

 

--------------------------

 

A knock echoed through out her room. She was back inside the walls of the Zhang house. The teal blue walls of her room familiar and painful. Oh how much things had changed. Her life was flipped upside down. She hated, loved, and hated her royal family. She fell in love with Chanyeol. She befriended twelve of the best people in the world. Almost all her human family was dead now. Adela was dead too. Times change, she guessed, people die. But that didn’t take away the sting of their names in her mind.

 

Grieve later, fight now.

 

She changed into her gear consisting of fitting black leather and flexible fabric. Her hair swayed in twin french braids. Her face was clear of makeup.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter