Bonds Over Blood

The Five Dynasties
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

(A/N I didn’t make it very clear in the last chapter but Areum was in Heian’s custody for just over a week.)

 

 

 

They say hiding pain is dangerous, but hiding rage is the knife that kills us all.

 

 

Chanyeol POV

 

The sun peeked over the horizon as we set foot on the mainland, clothes spoiled and bodies tired. Gloom hung over our heads. Exhaustion marked our faces. The council members stood to greet us. None of us greeted them back. We moved silently, not a word spoken. We moved as a team, lifting Sehun onto my back, Kyungsoo onto Luhan’s, and Kai onto Kris’s.  The others came to surround us so Luhan, Kris and I walked in the middle, imitating a wolf pack. The spirits of the awakened walked with them, some in the form of dogs and others birds, soaring above us. I wondered for a second, where my spirit was, but I dismissed the thought. Now was not the time. But I couldn’t help but notice that Areum’s spirit Yuki was gone as well.

 

 

"What happened? Where is Areum?" Jin asked his eyebrows furrowed in worry. Zhang Jin was a liar. He lied about why my father was really executed. He lied to Areum about being her father. He lied about many things. There was no doubt in my mind the other councillor members had secrets hidden behind their strict masks. And some of those secrets would be revealed. Lay clenched his jaw in anger, all of them did. No one responded, no one paid the council members any attention. They continued to drill us with questions but got not answers. A long black van awaited us, the doors unlocked. Xiumin slid the door open and we all filed in. Kai and Kyungsoo were placed in the back and had yet to gain consciousness. I sat beside them, my head rested back and eyes drooping closed. Worry still coursed in my veins. I heard the door close, a sign that everyone was inside.

 

 

“Can everyone hear me?” Luhan’s voice echoed in the back of my mind. Eyes snapping open I stared at him with wide eyes. He shook his head at us. “My power is telekinesis and telepathy, I can speak to you guys through my mind and you can speak to me. But I can only speak to the thirteen of us. Oh yeah and to speak you just voice your thoughts pretty loud. It’s pretty simple.”

 

 

“I already got the hang of it.” Sehun bragged. I, along with many others, glared at the youngest. He proceeded to hide behind Luhan.

 

“Correct me if I’m wrong but I am assuming none of us want to split up?”  Xiumin’s voice now rung through out my head. We all nodded.

 

 

“Who’s house do we stay at? My place is definitely out.”  Baekhyun asked looking at us with curious eyes.

 

“Luhan’s place is out too, along with Kris, Suho, Lay, Sehun, Chen’s and those two’s.” Xiumin nodded his head at the two unconscious boys. “That leaves Tao, Chanyeol, and my house.”

 

 

All eyes landed on me. I sighed and thought loudly, “My house is the best option.” Everyone flinched.

 

“Dude not so loud. There’s no need to shout-“

 

“Chanyeol? Guys?”

 

My muscles coiled up, tight as a wire. My heart failed to beat as her voice fluttered in my ear.

 

“Where are you? I-I am stuck in a cell. Where are you?” She panicked in our minds. I could hear her cries loud in clean. We sat straight, with the exception of the two sleeping boys, backs tensed and faces sculpted in concern.

 

 

“Areum we are going to Chanyeol’s place. We can find you-“ Lay began but her desperate shout cut him off.

 

“Don’t come here. H-he is here. The demon broke free. The demon broke free. He’ll kill you if you-“ Her voice vanished along with my breath. She made no sense. Who broke free? Who is this demon? Why would he kill us? Where is Areum? Is she hurt? Who am I kidding; there is no point in asking that question. You could practically hear how wounded she was.

 

---------------------------------

“Chanyeol! Are you okay? Omo are your friends okay? What happened? Are all of you all right? That’s a stupid question. Of course you aren’t okay. Please come in, come in. Yoora! Yoora hurry!” My mother ushered us inside hurriedly, making sure to ignore the council members behind us. Yoora bolted down the stairs, no doubt because of mom’s urgent tone. Her eyes went round when she saw us all dirtied and bruised.
 

“Yoora start boiling the water and get them some blankets.” My mother started commanding, her tone firm and sure. I often forgot that eomma had a strong side to her. “You boys sit, those two can sleep up in Chanyeol’s room. I’ll cook up some food.”

 

She gave me a hug before scurrying into the kitchen. Kris and I took Kai and Kyungsoo up to my room that was just as I left it. The walk up the stairs and into my room was silent, heavy with solemn. Kyungsoo and Kai were truly an inspiration. Kai’s father was a council member and a very classist man, and Kyungsoo, a scruff the lowest class of royals, were friends and remained friends despite the harsh hits of Kai’s father.

 

“...She loved-loves you.” Kris shattered the cold silence. A chill ran through me as I a smile tugged at my lips. “She loved you, before. Before this life.”

 

Miserable was the smile gracing my face as the memories of her shining amber eyes smiling at me with affection raced through my mind. Tears pricked my eyes for the nth time as I turned to face Kris, not bothering to hide my emotions.

 

“I know. I remember.” Kris grimaced and pulled me in for a hug, one that I needed greatly. “I remember”

 

Kris left and I hurried to the bathroom but halted when I saw my reflection.

 

Grey…

Blue…

 

Since when was my hair grey and my eyes blue? My now blue eyes went round, imitating the surprised look on Yoora’s face when she saw us. My mouth hung as my fingers reached out to touch my grey hair. It’s the same colour as it was in my second life.

 

“Chanyeol, come down and eat.” My mother’s voice called out and I dismissed my surprise at my new appearance. The smell of food wafted into the room and I felt my stomach rumble. There were a lot of things I didn’t have the solution to, but I could solve one thing. My hunger.

 

--------------------------

 

Areum was still missing, one day past, and another, until a week had passed. We heard nothing from her. Yuki hadn’t showed and I had a feeling she wasn’t with Areum. Worry was making all of us on edge, wired, and restless. Two days ago Kai and Kyungsoo woke up, they let us know they were awake with a scream. The two of them screamed when the saw the other. I had to admit if I were in their situation I would do the same. Kai’s hair was a rosy pink and his eyes were a shade of grey that made his eyes all the more piercing. Kyungsoo’s hair grew and was light blonde now. His eyes were a light brown. Today, Baekhyun and Tao went through the awakening. It nearly blinded all of us. Baekhyun collapsed and started screaming. Saying he couldn’t see, and then he started to glow. Actually glow. His skin shone bright and grew brighter every moment. Brilliant light surrounded the short boy, the light so bright it hurt to open our eyes. When the light faded Baekhyun was cradling a dully-glowing peacock, his spirit. His hair was bright red now, and his eyes were a similar shade of pink. Light was his new power, he could create it, change it. Tao’s awakening was by far the creepiest. His eyes went black, not just the iris, all of it. His mouth stretched into a scream but no sound came from him. His body shook and when Kris tried to touch him his eyes went black too. Everything seemed to stop at that moment, everything but the thirteen of us. A gold light came from behind Tao and when it faded time resumed. A golden snake, Tao’s spirit, was w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter