Somebody

Slowly

“Have fun,” Taehyung made a loving face at me.

 

“I’m not responding to you,” I made a face back before opening the passenger side door.

 

“I’ll see you in a couple hours?”

 

“Sure, I’ll call you later,” I said to him before closing the door and walking away.

 

School without Taehyung; I don’t know how exactly that would feel but… would it be possible for me to make new friends? I mean, no one here knows me. I made my way towards to school. I stopped at a large map of the campus and looked for the building my class would be in  

 

“Was that your brother?” A large figure shocked me walking beside me shocked me.

 

“Sorry,” the person laughed, “I didn’t mean to scare you.”

 

“It’s okay,” I said. I tried to walk quicker.

 

“I’m Jungkook,” he quickened his pace to match mine, without much effort too seeing as his legs were so much longer.

 

“Hailey,” I replied.

 

“This your first year?”

 

“Yeah.”

 

“Could I show you around?” He asked before I stopped my tracks.

 

Is this how people make friends?

 

“Sure?” It came out more like a question.

 

He chuckled, “I’ll lead the way then? What class do you have first?”

 

“Anatomy 1,” I replied.

 

“Oh, a medical major I see?”

 

“I guess,” I didn’t know what to say to him.

 

“Not so good with words huh?” he read my mind.

 

“No.”

 

“That’s fine, I’ll just have to make you feel more comfortable then.”

 

What’s with this guy? He’s the friendliest person I’ve met since… Maybe its just people he just met me. Do I look like a friendly person now? Mom always said I looked like a grump so…

 

I only answered him with silence. And it was silent for a bit.

 

“Don’t take this the wrong way,” he started, “I only wanted to make a new friend. And you seemed like someone interesting… I wanted to say hi.”

 

“It’s fine. Hi,” I said.

 

He laughed, “Hi.”

 

He led me to my first class and left.

 

The first class is always boring. Just an introduction about what we’ll learn and how classes will be conducted, same old same old.

 

My mind drifted to Taehyung. It’s only the first day and he’s already talking to girls. My mind drifted and even farther and I thought about how long we’ve actually been friends, roughly 4 years and going strong. The last couple months seem like a daze and actually sitting in class separated from him made everything become clear.

 

Everyone packing their things up interrupted my thoughts. I grabbed my things and followed everyone out. I pulled my phone out to look for my next room class that is until someone grabbed the phone from my hands.

 

“What-” I looked up to see Jungkook.

 

“Hailey,” he typed something on my phone and looked up, “I think I like you.”

 

Like me? What does that even mean? I don’t even know this person, he doesn’t know me either; how does he like me? A million things were racing through my mind as I grabbed my phone and ran away from him.

 

I heard him chuckle from behind me as I scurried away.

 

Instead of Taehyung going through my mind during class, I now had this new person, Jungkook, to think about.

 

 

~

 

“How was class?” Taehyung smiled at me as I got into the car after my last class.

 

“Fine.”

 

“Meet anyone new?”

 

“Not really,” I lied. I didn’t want to talk about another guy to Taehyung, it just didn’t seem right.

 

But just as I answered, I got a call… from ‘Kookie’.

 

“Is that mom?” Taehyung seemed to get excited. He reached for my phone and the only logical thing to do was the snatch it away from him.

 

But he was faster than me.

 

“Hello?!” Taehyung answered my phone and put it on speaker.

 

Only a male voice answered him. He looked shocked.

 

“Hi. Is Hailey there?” Jungkook calmly asked.

 

I saw Taehyung’s face scrunch up in confusion. He raised an eyebrow at me.

 

“Yeah. But who’s this?”

 

“Jungkook, and you are?”

 

“Taehyung,” he answered.

 

“Are you her brother?”

 

I anticipated the answer.

 

But there was a long pause.

 

So long that Jungkook said, “Hello? Can you hear me?”

 

Taehyung snapped back into reality it seemed, “No, I’m not her brother.” His smile was gone by now, his confusion gone too, there was only a straight face left.

 

“Then?...” Jungkook grew with curiosity on the other side.

 

“I’m her best friend.”

 

I gripped my seatbelt a little harder. I knew the answered would be just that but I couldn’t help but feel a little disappointed.

 

“Oh wow, okay cool, can I talk to her?” Jungkook said with a smiley sounding voice.

 

“Not now,” Taehyung said bluntly and hung up.

 

He handed me back my phone and I didn’t know what to say after that.

 

“I thought you said you didn’t meet anyone new,” he said without meeting my eye.

 

“I forgot. Sorry,” I turned to look out the window.

 

I never had an awkward moment with him till that car ride home. It was completely silent the whole way back. I wonder what he was thinking? Could he be jealous? But he even said it, he’s just my best friend, and it’s not like this guy meant anything to me anyways.

 

We walked through the front door to our apartment and he bee lined straight to his room.

 

I had no other choice but to hide away in mine too.