New Start

Tangled String
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It’s been a few weeks since Mingyu and Jinhyun have been pretend-dating. Mingyu didn’t regularly flaunt that they were a couple on campus, because Jinhyun thought it was too prosthetic. Instead, their skinship became more natural as time went on, to the point where the two seemed more like close friends instead of fake lovers. They talked to each other whenever they met on the rooftop at school, in math class (Mingyu moved to sit next to Jinhyun, opposite of Soonyoung) and at work, more during the breaks than the actual shift of course. But they began to understand each other more and more.

The rest of Jinhyun’s friends haven’t met Mingyu personally yet; but they were willing to give him extra time with his ‘boyfriend’, both for studying purposes and getting to know him. They were surprisingly okay with all of this. Well, to group them all up like that is kinda incorrect.

Seungkwan and Minghao were the most outwardly cheery about the couple. Soonyoung was happy too but he watched over Seungkwan while trying to pretend to be carefree. In the back of his mind, Soonyoung was unsure about the relationship because of how devastating Jinhyun’s last relationship and breakup was, so he couldn’t help but feel a little protective, kind of like how he was acting for Seungkwan right now. Jisoo was surprisingly the most impatient; he wanted to see firsthand how Mingyu treats Jinhyun, in his words, “I want to know if he’s being the right kind of boyfriend for you.”

Wonwoo was a different case, though. Ever since that day, he’s been feeling a bit rattled in the brain. But, for the sake of his friends, he would rather keep his friends then let his inner vexes cause strife for everyone. So he stayed within the group, not talking a lot as usual.

It wasn’t like Jinhyun noticed too much, anyway. His mind was on Mingyu and work, which also involved Mingyu since he was his coworker. Oh, and schoolwork, which was involved Mingyu because of math tutoring. The two seemed to click, whether it was because of the initiation of their fake-dating or it was the product of their extended lengths of hanging out together.

To keep his friends satiated, Jinhyun ate lunch with his friends in the cafeteria from time to time. Although they were fine with him spending time with Mingyu during lunch period, Mingyu himself insisted that Jinhyun eat with his friends too.

“It wouldn’t be fair if I hogged you 24/7,” Mingyu commented wryly during his insistence. Jinhyun wondered if it was a crime to blush and feel a bit nervous at those words.

Right now, it was one of those days where Jinhyun ate with his friends in the cafeteria. They were all chatting as usual besides Jinhyun, who reveled in his friends’ daily chatter and looked at them cheerily instead of chiming in.

“Dude no offense, but you seem kind of weird when you don’t talk but just smile at all of us,” Soonyoung admitted.

“It’s because you’re so happy in love, aren’t you?” Jisoo guessed rather intuitively. In response to this, Jinhyun’s face reddened and he flung his crumpled napkin ball at the gentleman.

“No I’m not!” Jinhyun wailed, though Jisoo wasn’t totally wrong. Jinhyun was thankful that his friends were okay with his “relationship” and that they were chatting normally instead of asking him all about Mingyu or something, but he himself wondered if what Jisoo said was true. Was he really falling for Mingyu?

I can’t be, he chastised himself with surety. We’re just pretend-dating. I’m going to pass math and Mingyu’s going to stay off of Soyoung’s radar. Hopefully. Jinhyun didn’t want to admit to a lot of doubts in his mind, including the possibility that he really was developing feelings for Mingyu, or if he was jealous of Soyoung’s haphazard advances onto his “boyfriend”. Jisoo grinned knowingly to himself and the guys launched into another random discussion. To Jinhyun’s chagrin however, Soonyoung brought up the topic of relationships.

“You know, since Jinnie is dating now it got me thinking how sad my own love life is. I’ve never had a girlfriend ever since we got into this academy. Aren’t I good-looking and charming enough?” Soonyoung complained. Jisoo snorted.

“It doesn’t stop you from flirting with the girls from class 107,” He countered. Soonyoung and Jisoo had a history class together, in class 106. Class 106 and its instructor was pretty lax so he let the class hang out and chat with class 107 a lot before the lesson. Jinhyun heard the story of how Soonyoung would hang in class 107 and talk about dancing to impress the girls there. Jinhyun thought it was amusing. It soon morphed into a table discussion about their love lives.

“Are you looking for someone now, Jisoo?” Soonyoung questioned.

“And why would I do that? I’m too busy with my studies,” He replied flatly.

“Okay, next. Minghao! You gonna get a girlfriend soon?”

“Not while I’m around.” Meilin popped in, surprising the crap out of the group. Minghao puffed his cheeks out in a pout, he didn’t even get to answer properly.

“I’m gonna make sure whoever Minghao dates will not taint him or anything,” Meilin vowed.

“That’s kind of hard to do once they start dating though,” Soonyoung replied in a hushed tone.

“I heard that!” Meilin screeched, ready to karate-chop Hoshroom. Minghao was chuckling quietly on the sidelines.

“I understand you though, hyung. I want a girlfriend too. I’m pretty charming myself.” Seungkwan piped in, causing Jinhyun to facepalm because the two gave each other joyous high-fives. Those two share similar mindsets.

“How ‘bout you, Wonwoo?” Soonyoung brought up with a laugh. Wonwoo’s eyes flickered towards Jinhyun for a split second, but he merely shrugged. Jinhyun didn’t catch the other’s glance at him, because at that moment his phone vibrated and he went to check the notification. It was from Mingyu. Seeing the boy’s name flutter on his notification tab made Jinhyun’s heart lob a bit. He immediately opened the text message.

Hey, you don’t work today right? Jinhyun thought this was a strange question since usually the two knew each other’s schedules.

No, I don’t get scheduled on Tuesdays, don’t you know? Jinhyun lapsed into conversation with his friends again but as soon as he felt the buzz from his phone he swiped his screen swiftly.

Okay, good. Sorry, could you meet me before your next class starts? What could Mingyu possibly have to say in person that he can’t just text me? That was the first thought that entered Jinhyun’s mind. However, the boy texted him an okay and told Jisoo he’d see him in Instruments class. There was about twenty minutes until lunch ended. Jinhyun said goodbye to the guys before they could pester him too much and hurried to the rooftop.

Jinhyun opened the rooftop door to see Mingyu with his hands in his pockets, observing the horizon from the grand view as usual. Jinhyun managed to sneak up behind the taller and gripped his shoulders suddenly, frightening Mingyu and nearly causing him to drop off the top of the building. But Jinhyun wasn’t that idiotic, he clutched Mingyu with enough strength to secure him.

It didn’t prevent Mingyu from screaming out loud though. The two could see the ant-like students from below curiously look up at the rooftop. Jinhyun pulled him out of sight just in time as Mingyu started panting like he had been drowning. Jinhyun was giggling as Mingyu’s face turned red.

“I’m sorry babe, didn’t mean to scare you,” Jinhyun’s tone was playful but he truly was apologetic. Mingyu’s face reflected surprise at the moment however.

“Babe? That’s a new one,” The taller was smiling.

“W-Well I’m sorry! Thought I’d try to ease you up a bit,” Jinhyun stammered, the tables turning. Now it was Mingyu’s turn to chortle, but they had to cut the joking around before lunch period ended.

“Anyway, what did you need to tell me in person?” Jinhyun asked. Mingyu smiled knowingly, as if he were waiting for those very words, and rubbed the back of his neck. In Jinhyun’s eyes, the taller… looked rather nervous now.

“Well, you see…” Mingyu trailed off, not forming the right words at the moment. Then he began to laugh off his nervousness, which made Jinhyun even more suspicious.

“Since you’re free tonight, why don’t you have dinner with me?”

The words reached Jinhyun’s ears but his brain was attempting to stubbornly spit them out. He blinked twice, wondering if he heard him right. Is Mingyu asking me out on a date? He thought.

“Mingyu, we don’t have to go out on dates, it’s not needed for our pretend-dating, is it?” Jinhyun spoke, though his brain was finally succumbing and wanting to wholly agree.

“No, it’s not, but… Jeez Jinnie, can’t you just accept my offer? This is me wanting to take you out on a date, not a show for our fake relationship.” Mingyu was resorting to using humor to dispel his anxiety again. Humor also helped him become bolder with his words. The taller clasped the other’s hands and stared straight at him. Jinhyun was nearly entranced on the spot. The sincerity of Mingyu’s offer was finally seeping into Jinhyun and the boy demanded himself to do the right thing.

“What time are you picking me up?” Jinhyun smiled, blushing. Mingyu stared, astounded at the response, until he registered what had happened and scooped up the older into his arms.

“Mingyu, what the hell!” But the two boys were laughing wildly. Mingyu finally put him down and patted his uniform neatly again.

“How’s 8 sound?” Jinhyun frowned.

“Mingyu, it’s a school night.” The younger pouted.

“Fine, 7? I’ll have you home by 9?” Jinhyun laughed, amused that Mingyu was playing along to his obvious joke about Mingyu driving him around.

“That sounds good, but I was joking about you driving me. Do you even have a car? It’s okay. We can take the bus or something too.” Mingyu flashed the older a grin.

“My mom let me borrow the car for tonight.” Jinhyun started freaking out because this was premeditated?!

“Wait, you told your mom about this plan beforehand and everything?”

“Of course, I need her permission to go out, silly. I can drive, but I don’t have my own car or a license. We’ll be fine though, I promise.” Jinhyun imagined the two being pulled over tonight and when Mingyu didn’t have a driving license, the cop would take them both to jail. That thought frightened him to the core. But, the deeper feeling of excitement and sheer nervousness of a first date with Mingyu, and him actually having something to do tonight, a night where he can go out and have fun, that was something that Jinhyun craved. He craved liberation from his repetitive nights of doing homework or watching Channie (though he wasn’t that bad) when he didn’t have work.

“Okay then, 7 sharp. Although you can meet me at the street in front of my house because I don’t think my dad would appreciate this if I told him about it…” Worry colored Jinhyun’s tone, which concerned Mingyu.

“What’s the matter?” Mingyu asked, grabbing Jinhyun’s hands again. This gesture comforted Jinhyun from his upsetting thoughts, and he was thankful for Mingyu’s positive energy and comforting aura that he radiated. Jinhyun smiled in response and shook his head.

“We’ll be fine, I promise.” Jinhyun echoed, grinning. Suddenly, the bell rang and it was time for classes. The two walked to class, both thinking of the date night in store for them. They didn’t even need to talk while they walked; they enjoyed the comfortable silence with their thoughts on their sleeves.

Once again, they stopped at Jinhyun’s class first. Jinhyun wished that he had a remote that controlled time so that he could fast-forward the day until 7 pm. However, life wasn’t that simple. Mingyu grabbed Jinhyun’s hands once more for good measure and squeezed. Jinhyun grinned back at the taller and they said their goodbyes. He’s gotten a lot touchier, Jinhyun noted to himself.

“See you tonight,” Mingyu said before slinking down the hallway. Jinhyun drifted into his class feeling like a dandelion blown by the wind. Being asked out on a date was one of the best feelings for him. He could do anything now! He took his seat by Jisoo and class started.

 

            It was after school, but Jinhyun could only think about when nightfall would come. He loved dates; he was a hopeless romantic at heart. Even if he and Mingyu’s relationship wasn’t real, Mingyu himself said this was just for them, not for the sake of the charade. So he would enjoy it as much as he can. He mindlessly followed Jisoo to where the friends said their goodbyes before heading into separate directions.

“Jinhyun, are you listening to me?” Jisoo cut in. Jinhyun blinked.

“Huh? Sorry about that,” He apologized in return.

“I was asking what made you get up and leave our table earlier. I mean, it’s none of my business, but I’m asking just in case, you know.” The younger told Jisoo that Mingyu asked him out on a date and his face lit up.

“That’s adorable! But it’s also weird because you two have been going out for a while, though this is your first date.” Jisoo commented. In order to wave off suspicion, Jinhyun told him that their schedules didn’t agree well these past few weeks, and they did work together and see each other in school so it seemed okay to put off the first date. Jisoo bought it, thinking that all couples are different.

“A dinner date, huh? Did he say where?” Jisoo further asked. Jinhyun replied that he didn’t mention anything else, but he was driving there so he would have to just find out. Jisoo truly was happy for Jinhyun. He deserved to be happy too.

            Jinhyun met up with his other friends, but he kept the goodbyes succinct, as he wanted to just go home and relax until night came. After some handshakes and back-pats, Jinhyun walked home alone until he picked up Channie. Minghao had work at his parent’s restaurant rather early today so he had to hurry to change and whatnot. Jinhyun was home before he knew it.

            Channie immediately started doing his homework while Jinhyun collapsed onto the sofa. He wanted to lose himself in his thoughts for a bit. He began to think about his “relationship” with Mingyu. He began to think it over and wonder, what’s keeping the fake relationship from actually becoming a real one? He and Mingyu understood each other, learned a lot about each other, and, he thought confidently, liked each other. Mingyu hadn’t brought it up before, but Jinhyun wondered if they should become a real couple.

            But another thought seemed to derail this decision. Jinhyun remembered that Mingyu first set this up to avoid Soyoung. And he noticed that as the weeks passed, Soyoung was surprisingly not doing much to pester the couple. And that led Jinhyun to think of his decision to actually go along with this. He confronted his thoughts on it, and if he really accepted Mingyu’s plea

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter