The Beginning

Tangled String
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

What do you do if the person you despise is actually devilishly handsome? I feel like a fool. I tried to keep my eyes focused on the professor and her lecture without stealing a furtive side-glance at the aforementioned boy.

Stupid Mingyu.

                Mingyu was a guy in my class I knew only by name, despite having him in class and/or seeing him around school for years now. I’ve never tried to associate with him, because he’s quiet and he’s always smirking at people. Is it wrong to dislike him despite not even really talking to him or anything? I don’t know, he just rubs me the wrong way. Pfft, in fact, he’s a row in front of me and a few desks down, but he knows I can see him. He looks at me too sometimes, with that -eating grin plastered on his face. How can he even look like that at me without knowing who I am or anything—

 “Lee Jinhyun, what is the answer to the question on the board?” , it was my professor.

                My eyes refocused on the board and I deadpanned at the dizzying series of numbers. I was hopeless in math, this I’m sure about. With no hesitance, I shrugged and looked away. Although when I did that, I unfortunately caught sight of Mingyu looking over his shoulder at me. Then he lowered his head and his shoulders were somewhat shaking.

That son of a is laughing at me.

 I heard giggling beside me and I glared.

  “Why are you laughing at me too, Hoshroom?” I hissed at my friend Soonyoung, who has the uncanny ability to piss me off too. He hid his face in his arms as he muffled his laughs on the desk. Tch, sometimes I wonder how I’m able to handle so many stressors.

“It’s not nice to call people names,” Soonyoung chatters, grinning at me with those small eyes that held such mischief and smugness. I exhaled a breath. Soon, class was over and the class began filing out. I really did hate math, but I had to take it this semester so I wouldn’t have to deal with it later on. At least Soonyoung, or Hoshi, or occasionally Hoshroom if I’m annoyed, is with me here. He’s not totally proficient in math but he fares way better than me. I follow Soonyoung to the exit before my teacher stops me right before I could vamoose.

 “I know we’re past grade school, Jinhyun, but if you don’t pay attention in class, that’ll cost you some participation points, which will ultimately lower your grade. I suggest you study and brush up on the lessons before coming here from now on, all right?” My professor’s words startle me but I merely nod, having been embarrassed already.  

“I understand, Sojin-seonsaengnim.”

                My teacher nodded briskly and I wanted to just get away from this class already. But as soon as I was following Soonyoung out the door, a brusque figure shouldered past me, pretty much intercepting me in the doorway. My jaw dropped in disbelief as the perpetrator was none other than Mingyu. He looked over his shoulder and smirked again, his tall figure able to easily push past me. This ing jerk.

                Soonyoung could only gape at the spectacle.  After seeing my reaction, he began laughing again. Mingyu disappeared around the corner of the hall and sighing, I allowed Soonyoung to lead the way to the cafeteria. Math exhausted me and left me famished. With Soonyoung, we would meet our other friends and eat.

“That Mingyu is such a prick,” I commented to fluffy head.

"I dunno, maybe he just likes messing with you.” I heard the amusement in his voice.

“He’s still a prick. Tch.” I folded my arms across my chest as we neared the cafeteria.

“You’re in such a cranky mood today, aren’t you? Well that isn’t too surprising. You’re crabby almost every day,” Soonyoung prattled.

“Shut up, Hoshroom.” I snapped, instantly snickering because Soonyoung loathes that nickname.

“It’s not my fault my hair is so voluminous, okay?” He responded, patting his fluffy head. I called him Hoshroom because his hair was so poofy, it resembled a mushroom. We entered the bustling cafeteria, and stood in line for our food. We got our trays and headed to our usual table, where most of our friends were already.

“Hey Hoshi, hey Jinnie,” our friends Minghao and Seungkwan greeted us. Soonyoung grinned and returned the greeting, choosing to sit next to Seungkwan. I waved happily at our cute chubby-faced friend Seungkwan, while I settled for a more intimate option for Minghao. I put my tray down, so I could free my arms and back hug Minghao.

“Hi Minghao, how are you today?” I asked sweetly, as the boy giggled and rubbed my arms affectionately. Soonyoung made a gagging noise.

“You were just grumpy before you arrived here, and now you’re all loving? I don’t get you,” Soonyoung complained.

“Wow, why does Minghao get all the love? What about me, Jinnie?” Seungkwan chimed in with his complaint.

“You got Soonyoung right there, Seungkwannie. You hug me all the time. And I don’t know, seeing Minghao makes me happier.” I stuck my tongue out playfully at the other two, both looking offended. That in turn made Minghao and I chuckle as we continued cuddling.

“Where’s Wonwoo?”

“Here I am.”

                I jumped in my seat at the sudden hands that clamped onto my shoulders from behind. Laughing with a gravelly tone, Wonwoo appeared with our other friend Jisoo.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter