Interlude

Tangled String
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: Hey guys. So again I wanted to rush update... Hahhaa I couldn't help it. I left it at such a... bitter moment. I know the plot isn't advancing that much, but wanted to write a bit more. Hope this chapter is okay... Thank you for 400 views though! This is my first fic on here and I'm happy people are liking this story. :3

            Jinhyun firmly believed that things happened for a reason. If he was facing a turbulent time in his life, he felt that something will ultimately be needed to change in order to resolve or settle that situation. Right now, not associating himself with Wonwoo seemed like his best decision; Wonwoo wasn’t willing to talk it out and his friends were probably going to feel torn between the two of them. Jinhyun would give Wonwoo some time to really think it over if they could get past this rocky bump in their friendship. And this way, he’ll get to spend more time with his boyfriend; something he gave up for a bit. Especially since the two didn’t work the same shifts anymore…

            Mingyu had been frantically going over the printed schedule for Fresh Leaf several times. He and Jinhyun had just starting dating for real, and they agreed that they shouldn’t work the same shifts. Thankfully, the week was almost over and he could ask his mom to change next week’s schedule.

He was on break at the moment, enjoying an Americano. Mingyu stood and had slinked over to the back of the house to talk to his mother. He found her restocking the coffee packets, creamers, and various syrups. He cleared his throat, catching her attention.

“Mom, Jinhyun and I have to work different shifts now. I’ve trained him enough so he can take over some of my shifts instead of the both of us working the same shift. I’m gonna go log that in the request book so you don’t forget, okay?” Mingyu tried to keep his voice leveled, but his mother narrowed her eyes at him.

“Sounds good but son… won’t you miss working with Jinhyun?” She prompted, earning a little choked noise from the tall boy.

“N0, why would I?” He looked away in nervousness; why would he miss his boyfriend? They saw each other practically every day. He looked back at his mother and noticed she was giggling.

“What’s so funny?” He asked his mother.

“Ah, I get it… Okay, I’ll fix the schedule. In the meantime, why don’t you go review our dating policy? I forget what I wrote about dating coworkers.”

“Thanks a lot mom—wait what?!”

            Mrs. Kim cackled loudly, startling the other workers in the back. Mingyu was sure even the customers in the front could hear it being bounced off the walls. He started wailing; his mother seemed to see through him way too easily.

“I’m your mother. I know these things. You better bring him over for dinner one day.” And that was the end of that.

            Indeed, change was occurring in several ways. One of them was Jinhyun’s brother Chan and his decision to walk home by himself. He swore to Jinhyun secretly that it wasn’t because of the whole gay incident with Umji, but because his last year of elementary school education was coming to a close soon. He’d be in middle school next semester, what better timing right? Jinhyun and his father both agreed that it would be okay. Jinhyun trusted his little brother.

            It has been a few days since that incident. Wonwoo seemed to be avoiding the group when they had class together and he didn’t wait to go home with Jisoo. Jinhyun talked it over with his friends and he would spend time with Mingyu during lunchtime instead. This way, Wonwoo could at least enjoy lunch with the rest of the group. He didn’t want everyone to be affected by this after all.

            Jinhyun was walking to his first class of the day when he saw a familiar face among a group of girls. Panic setting into his body, he couldn’t have turned around quicker. He was going to use the bathroom to buy time when he heard Soyoung’s loud, insistent tone.

“Mingyu is not gay! I swear he’s just lying about being with that other guy.” Jinhyun gulped and took out his phone to look busy while he tried his best to eavesdrop. Luckily, the girls were chatty and pretty loud.

“Soyoung-ah, why do you even go after Mingyu still? You have a boyfriend now anyway,” a girl inquired.

“That guy is not my boyfriend! He just likes me. I’m just seeing him for a bit, maybe Mingyu will want me knowing that I got taken.” Jinhyun rolled his eyes so hard he was afraid they’d pop out of their sockets.

“I don’t know if he’s gay, but he really is handsome, oh my gosh,” Another girl swooned.

“Yeah, but I’ve heard about his ideal type, I’m sorry Soyoung-unnie but you don’t really fit the criteria anyway.” This time, Jinhyun’s ears pricked up. Mingyu’s ideal type? He’s sure he’s never heard that from him. He heard a loud screech, probably Soyoung’s angry outburst. She demanded what his ideal type was.

“Well, he likes tall, kind girls who can cook. Oh, they also have to be older than him.” Jinhyun half-laughed but became flustered after. He thought it was hilarious because Soyoung was on the shorter side if he remembered correctly, and she also annoyingly nagged him with “Mingyu-oppa”. But then the boy started to feel self-conscious about himself. Was it really true? Jinhyun was pretty tall; shorter than Mingyu but not by a lot. That boy was abnormally tall for his age anyway. But he didn’t have an ounce of culinary talent in his body; except maybe simple things. He was older than Mingyu, so he had that. Where did they even hear such a thing?

“What are you talking about?! I’m the nicest person you’ll ever meet. I just have to wear high heels or insoles. And I got a B+ in cooking class last semester. So that’s that. And being younger gives me my own charm too.”

            Jinhyun wanted to overhear them more but class was going to start soon. He kept his head down and his eyes on his phone in his hands as he maneuvered past the girls. Soyoung caught sight of the passing boy and was about to say something when her friends started tugging on her shirt wildly.

“What, what?!” She cried.

“Your boyfriend’s coming down the hall!” Her friend told her. The girls were too enamored with Soyoung’s fling that confronting Jinhyun was forgotten.

            It was math class, and Jinhyun was glad he got past those girls. He saw Soonyoung and Mingyu already in their seats. He wondered how his boyfriend got to class without running into Soyoung. Knowing him, he must’ve already worked out ways to avoid her. He greeted them, deciding to bury his thoughts of Mingyu’s ideal type for now.

“There he is,” Soonyoung grinned. Sojin-seonsaengnim came in and started the lecture right away. After class, the trio walked down the hallway together before they would part for lunch.

“How’s Wonwoo?” Jinhyun had to ask. He was curious, of course. Soonyoung just shrugged in response.

“He’s normal, pretty much. He’s not acting differently now, maybe he’s over it?” The boy mused.

“It’s probably because I’m not around as much,” Jinhyun flatly replied. Mingyu remained silent, not knowing how to chime in. Soonyoung was unsure of how to reply.

“Well, I guess I’ll see you later, Hoshroom.”

“All right, I’ll keep you updated if anything.”

            The couple was heading upstairs when Mingyu stopped all of a sudden. He told Jinhyun he forgot something and rushed to his lockers down the hall. Sighing, Jinhyun stayed in place, waiting for his boyfriend. He was, of course, curious on what that boy could’ve forgotten. He returned with a bright red insulated cooler bag. Jinhyun eyed the bag with interest until Mingyu tugged his arm, urging them to go to the rooftop already. Once there, they sat and Mingyu proceeded to open the bag.

“You brought that to school?” Jinhyun asked, curiosity evident in his inquiring tone. Mingyu grinned and took out the contents of the bag; two bento boxes, bags of chips, and two cartons of banana milk. Jinhyun let out a squeal at the sight of food.

“Well if we’re going to be eating together at lunch, I have to pack for the both of us.” Mingyu stated simply, placing one bento box in front of the boy along with the small carton of banana milk.

“You didn’t have to,” Jinhyun said, feeling very flattered that his boyfriend prepared all of this for them.

“Don’t be silly. I like cooking so we’re going to eat what I make. And you can tell me if it’s good.” Jinhyun opened the bento box and saw bulgogi, rice and mixed vegetables, with cold slices of egg. His mouth watered and the two dug in. Once Jinhyun ate a piece of the meat, his face lit up.

“Wow babe, this is really good!” Jinhyun’s reactions to food were obvious on his face; you could see how much he enjoyed (or disliked) food by his initial expressions. Mingyu took notice and laughed, covering his mouth though because he was chewing.

“Well I’m glad my baby likes my cooking,” Mingyu cooed, laughing. Jinhyun’s face reddened.

“You’re younger than me, pabo,” He ranted, much to Mingyu’s amusement. The two opened the chip bags and ate some of that too. The banana milk was cool and refreshing; Jinhyun especially loved the sweetness of the banana milk.

“Your cooler bag is really daebak for keeping all of the food fresh,” Jinhyun commented.

“Thanks, my mom bought it for me.”

            The two shared a lovely meal while just chatting and enjoying each other’s presence. Jinhyun worked tonight, he told Mingyu. Suddenly, the taller boy realized something and wanted to bring up to the other immediately.

“You’ll be working with my mom tonight. And I also have some exciting news…” He trailed off.

“Well, get on with it! Don’t just leave me hanging,” Jinhyun ranted.

“My mom’s going on a little vacation to visit my sister on Jeju Island in a couple of weeks. So, she insisted that you come over and eat dinner at our house soon before she leaves.”

“Oh god… Is she going to lecture me because she found out we’re dating? I’m still surprised about that,” Jinhyun wailed. Mingyu laughed.

“It’s not bad! Hmm, she might bring it up to you later tonight when you work.” Mingyu was grinning from ear to ear. Jinhyun felt awkward and embarrassed of the sight in his head. He really hoped Mingyu’s mom wouldn’t bring up anything weird or something. It seemed unavoidable anyway so Jinhyun kept this in his mind. He would worry about it when he went to work.

            The two managed to finish their food before they had to scurry to class. They disposed their trash and Jinhyun thanked Mingyu again for the food. He asked if this was going to be a regular occurrence for now and Mingyu grinned, as if it weren’t obvious enough.

“So how was my cooking today? I’m going to bother you about this every time I make food for you.” Jinhyun gave Mingyu an are-you-kidding-me expression but Mingyu was super genuine about this. The other male contemplated this for a moment before answering.

“I’d say, 8.5.” Mingyu looked a bit struck and Jinhyun cracked up.

“8.5?! Why not a 10?” Mingyu pouted.

“First of all, no dish is a perfect 10. 8.5 means really tasty to me,” Jinhyun purred, giggling. Somehow, Mingyu didn’t seem convinced. They continued walking to Jinhyun’s class but Mingyu wouldn’t let up yet.

“Well, what did you like about it? And what could’ve been better?” Jinhyun was surprised at Mingyu’s seriousness about his food being critiqued.

“The meat was really flavorful… I liked the eggs too. The vegetables were a bit bland, but that can be forgiven,” Jinhyun started. Mingyu scoffed.

“Vegetables are naturally bland! That’s why they’re vegetables!” Jinhyun laughed again.

“I don’t know what else to say! I said it was good!” Mingyu crossed his arms cutely like a child.

“I’m going to wow you with my cooking more and more then, just wait.” Jinhyun could only think, you already amaze me with everything you do, Mingyu. You’re sweet, handsome, funny, caring, and a great cook. But of course, he was going to spare them the corniness and not say those things.

“My taste buds will await that,” Jinhyun grinned. They reached Jinhyun’s class and he bid his boyfriend goodbye. He didn’t allow Mingyu to kiss him right now; he patted his shoulder comically. Mingyu made an offended noise.

“You rate my cooking poorly and you deny me kisses? What did I do to deserve such unkindness?” Mingyu put a hand to his forehead and Jinhyun smacked him for being silly.

“Hush! I’ll make it up to you, don’t worry.”

“You said that yesterday.” Mingyu replied with a grumble. Jinhyun peeked into the room and saw that his teacher wasn’t in yet. Great. But he also saw Jisoo and Wonwoo in the front row of

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter