Something different

Lucifer
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Chapter 5 – Something different

 

* * * *

 

Jinri sighed loudly as she stood in front of the familiar house. She was thankful that her mother wasn't home, if she was they would most likely get into another argument for sure. Lifting her hand, Jinri pressed the doorbell, smiling as she heard a muffled voice from behind the door, then a loud noise followed by a string of curses.

Jinwoo opened the door with a surprised look on his face. "Noona! You could've called me!"

"I wanted to surprise you." Said Jinri and she continued with a worried tone, "Are you okay? I heard--"

"Oh, I ran into the damn table over there and chipped the wood. Mum is going to flip over her precious wooden table. You know how she is. She sees a fingerprint on her glass cups and she freaks." Said Jinwoo and he grabbed the wheels of his chair, pushing away from the door to make room for his older sister. Jinwoo watched Jinri walk in as she pushed the door shut and a big smile coming to his lips. "You look good. I was worried, thought that since mum didn't give you much money to leave with, you'd be starving and all! Well, probably looking like a crack addict, you know." He joked.

Jinri laughed. "I must say with this new job, I'm getting by. And Jieun is always there to help me out, although I keep telling her not too."

Jinwoo grinned. "Jieun noona doesn't listen too well."

Jinri giggled, nodding. "She doesn't, does she?" She paused to look around. "This place looks nice."

"Yes but it's empty though. I can't even leave a single magazine in the living room. Mum is just.... Ugh! Never mind." Complained Jinwoo. "You want anything to drink from the kitchen?"

"Sure, but I can get it." Said Jinri and before her brother could protest, she was passing him, making her way to the kitchen. "Where are mum and her husband by the way?"

"They heard about a sale at one antique place. They'll be there for another hour or two." Said Jinwoo, watching his sister left the kitchen with a bottle of water in her hand. He sighed. "Noona, tell me honestly, are you really doing fine outside alone?"

Jinr sat down on the couch, placing her hand on his knee and giving it a light squeeze. "I am Jinwoo. Although there were times I felt lonely without family around with me but your sister isn't weak. She overcomes that easily." She smiled in reassurance. "Don't worry. Noona is just fine."

Jinwoo smiled softly. He put his hand on Jinri's. "I'm glad to hear that. But never forget this house is always welcome you."

Jinri nodded with a smile. Changing the topic, she placed her water bottle on the table before ped her purse. "Btw I have something to show you. It's a magazine Jieun gave me to read since my new boss is featured in it." She grabbed the rolled magazine, flipping to the interview.

"He's your boss? Wow! He's way too young to be so damn rich, isn't he? Not to mention he's so drop dead gorgeous." Said Jinwoo.

"Yeah, he is but look at this." Said Jinri, pointing to the interview section. "There is a question, what's your biggest secret? And Minho replies, who I really am." She closed the magazine, looking at her little brother to expect some reaction. "So?"

Jinwoo brows knitted together, scratching his hair. "So…"

Maybe she was reading too much into it, thought Jinri to herself but still… "I don't know but it's just…creepy. What does he mean by that? The guy has been labeled 'man of mystery' and the line doesn't really help him."

Jinwoo bursted out laughter. "I guess you're reading too much into it noona. Nothing is wrong with him. Everyone has their own private, personal life to keep and you just take thing seriously about him."

Jinri nodded slowly. Her brother made sense about it. Probably because she was just curious about him since he was her boss after all. "I guess you're right."

"I'm right. You like the job?" Asked Jinwoo.

Jinri smiled. "I do. It's nice. There's money."

A big smile bounced onto his face as well as he patted his sister's hand. "Good for you, noona."

 

- - - -

 

Jinri yawned tiredly as she walked up the steps to her apartment. She glanced over her shoulder to see two children ran out of the front door, giggling and an exhausted mother slowly followed, giving Jinri a glance before leaving the building. Jinri sighed nonchalantly to find out people around her didn't care to be friendly at all. She would muster up a smile when passing other people that lived around her but they would merely stare at her without returning the smile and some even gave her a weird look. Maybe she shouldn't be so nice to people around here from now on.

Her eyes then threw to her door but only gasping in surprise when she saw a man standing in front of her door. Her surprise was quickly replaced with a huge smile, rushing up the rest of the stairs to reach him. Her footsteps caught his attention as he turned and a smile coming to his face as well.

"What're you doing here?!" Asked Jinri, gleefully. She wrapped her arms around his neck, hugging him.

He circled his arms around her, laughing and replied, "I wanted to surprise you."

"Well, you did. You weren't supposed to be back for another two weeks." Said Jinri.

"I've been doing really well at that place." He told her, kissing her forehead lovingly before unwrapping his arms around her waist. "Let's go inside. I've missed you."

Jinri smiled, removing her arms and she unlocked her front door. She closed the door after he entered and he glanced around the tiny apartment.

Lee Hyunwoo, her boyfriend of 3 years, also the only nephew of a powerful entrepreneur in South Korea.

When Hyunwoo was starting to have an alcohol problem a year ago, his parents and other family members quickly came to the rescue, sending him off to rehab. Jinri knew he needed it, arguments constantly coming between them because of his drinking habit and his incidents of drunk driving.

Hyunwoo took a seat on her couch, smiling as Jinri sat down next to him. "So, you're all better…for good?"

"For good. I've been sober now. The woman there said that if I ever have a sudden craving or thoughts about alcohol again, I could call her. Don't worry, everything is under control." Said Hyunwoo, he placed his hand over hers. "You know, it was hell not being able to see you or talk to you much. What's new with you?"

Jinri nodded. "I got a new job working for MHC corporation, Choi Minho. You've heard of him, right?"

"That's great and of course I have heard of him a lot. He has more money than my uncle. Well, I met him at a convention of some sort. I was with my uncle and we were introduced. It was brief." Said Hyunwoo.

"He's been treating me well. He hasn't screamed at me or anything…yet. I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter