The Tool of a Tool

Melting

One, two, three floors, down we go. We arrived at the ground level. The lifts door screeches as it reveals the plain old lobby with its worn out walls. Hyejin pokes me, signaling for me to take the steps into the, apparently, warmer world. I pulled in my blazer. The cold breeze of the outside world chilling my bones, the steps I take onto the streets, maybe it’s a phobia or some kind of trauma, being outside the comforts of a house is sending chills down my spine. Lucky for me the small café is only three blocks down.

‘Unnie, is Wheein really going to be there?’ Hyejin asks in the softest of voice. Instantly, a grin forms. ‘Oh Ajumma, who knew it would take this late in your life for you to set your eyes on someone other than the mirror in your room.’ I said while patting my precious old lady growing up right before my eyes. Instead of a curt rebut, she glares and walks away from me. I couldn’t help but smile. After a mini moment of admiring her, I chased up to her. Putting an arm around her waist, ‘today’s dinner mission shall be for you to plant the seats for a romantic rose to bloom.’ I teased. She rolls her eyes as we walked side by side towards Café Le Bea.

The little bell tinkles as it announced our presence to the quiet café. We both saw Wheein first. A smile was formed on each of our faces. A lady was talking to her and Wheein laughed. Her cheeks a little red when the lady touches her elbow ever so gently. Immediately, we frowned. This lady dressed in a form fitting blue dress with white polka dots. This lady. We took a step nearer to them. When her side profile was registered, I removed myself from being Hyejin’s conjoined twins.

Annoyance rises as I took those hurried steps to her. Roughly I turned her around. She rudely stares at me. ‘How dare you.’ I scolded her. ‘You were not right enough to turn right. How dare you take the right path.’ My anger fumes flames greatly in my eyes. I knew because my body heat was high and I could see myself reflected in the those wide saucers. My wild one enraged and looking down at her. Hyejin stepped forward. Forcing my grip on her hand to loosen, she gave me a quick glare. 'I'm deeply sorry Ms.' she apologises on my behalf, even though it was unnecessary. She motions for Wheein to pull me aside. Letting myself move according to Wheein's guidance, I missed the private conversation between Hyejin and the culprit. 

While my body may be sitted at my seat, my eyes fixated at her. A soft clink was heared, the smell of my favourite coffee was detected, my attention finally peeled away from them. 'Your Red Eye.' Wheein catiously states. ‘Why did that imbecile visit the café?’ I asked, traces of my anger still vivid in my tone. ‘She came back to ensure that someone had paid for the drinks they had ordered.’ Wheein explained. My gaze turns back to that idiot. Noticing that they were still chating, they lit my insides.

‘Ajumma!’ I yelled. Hyejin smiles at the idiot then turns to glare at me. It is outragoues. ‘Wheein, kindly set the table for four. I will notify Ajusshi to cook our share.’ She struts to the kitchen while holding the idiot’s hand. In other word, those idiots are ignoring my presence for a second time. Curses be upon them. I took the cup with a firm grip. Sipping on the sweet bitterness of my coffee, my palate dances in joy. The only piece of joy is the contains of this cup.

As Wheein sets the table, what Hyejin had said finally registers in my head. One. I. Two. Hyejin. Three. Wheein. Four? Ajusshi never stays for dinner with us. He prefers to eat with a framed Ajumma. Four? ‘Wheein.’ I addressed the lady setting the forth set of utensils. Wheein places the forth knife and looks at me. ‘Why four.’ I enquired. She looks down at the forth set on the table. Our eyes enlarge at the unspoken answer simultaneously. ‘Hyejin!’ I shouted. Her sigh was heard. I quickly turn around. To my horror, my eyes were capturing the sight of the idiot being guided to take a seat opposite me.

‘You litte..’ the long train of despicable words went for a joyride, leaving me with an unfinish sentence. ‘This here, is Moon Byulyi. She is partially but sadly uncertifedly mental and owns this humble café.’ She introduces me. ‘Unnie, this is Solar Unnie. The lady whom you decided to display your lack of social etiquetes to.’ I noted the absence of consent in this introduction. Still, the idiot bows slightly as a polite greeting. Humph. I turn to face away from them. ‘Solar Unnie, this dinner is on the rude individual opposite you so please eat up.’ Hyejin adds on, playing the role of an oh so great social butterfly.

‘Byul.’ A deep low tone called out to me. My head raises to see Ajusshi staring down at me with a look of disapproval. ‘Your dinner is served.’ He simply states in a firm tone. I mumbled my ‘thanks’. He places a hand on my head. ‘Don’t be rude to a guest.’ He instructs and force my head to face her, ‘I will be taking my leave. Wheein remember to lock up properly. I will see you all tomorrow.’ Upon finishing all that he has to say, he leaves.  Stupid Yong Dahan.

Forks, knifes gently scratches the plate as the silence between the four lingers while we ate. Ajusshi’s roast chicken with his secret sauce is still delicious but I couldn’t fully focus on what my taste buds were enjoying with the idiot just there. I steal a quick glance at Hyejin, who was evidently not bothered by anything and purely in bliss by being one with her dinner. Wheein wasn’t so subtle in her slight shifts due to the atmosphere.

When all have eaten finish the delight that was once on our respective plates, Hyejin grins unexpectedly. Before I could express my notice of that unusual sight, Hyejin stands, collects all our plates, then faces Wheein, ‘Wheein shall we do the dishes together?’ Hyejin’s question was testified to be retorical as Wheein stands and adheres to her words. What in the world is going on? Is Wheein her puppy?

As the two 95er were out of sight, I could only drink my remaining coffee in a gulp. The air between us slightly more tense. My flames at a distinctive lower burn. Maybe I was burnout by being enraged from 3.19pm onwards. ‘Erm..’ the idiot makes a sound. I stared straight at her eyes. Those black pupils that glistered, those eyes. ‘I’m really sorry for the scene I had caused this afternoon.’ She said. I heard those words. My gaze however fixated at how sincere those eyes seemed. Those damn eyes, I hate.

Sincerity, a useless tool for one’s intention. A double edge sword that can easily kill another or its wielder. Exactly who controls this power up known as sincerity? ‘Useless’ I concluded. Once more, her eyes reflects her shock. ‘The apology is not accepted as it is not for the right issue. Apologise for being sad for the initiated break up with your cheater.’ I demanded for things to be set right.

‘This is weird.’ She says to oneself. ‘He cheated no?’ I inquired. ‘Who?’ she replied in ignorance. ‘The man whom you splash water at.’ I answered. ‘Well, yes.’ She stutters her reply despite it being a straightforward fact being told aloud. ‘This is weird.’ She says once more. ‘Dear Ms Moon, I don’t see why I need to apologise for having an emotion towards a conclusion of a meeting that does not involve you. If it was holding the ending of my relationship with him in your café that you are unhappy with, I do wish you would excuse my public disturbance. However if by your account you wish for me to apologise for being upset at my love betraying me, then it is simply weird.’ I noticed that she had said ‘weird’ thrice to discribe this. She is the one being weird.

‘Your fondness for that relationship, is nothing but a source of potential trouble. Don’t be an idiot that requires another to stab one for you.’ I told her. ‘Ms Moon?’ her reaction prompted my recognition of my cheeks being slightly dampen. A hand raised to rub away the betraying tears that had escaped. Who am I to preach?

As if in a drama, the kids return with perfect timing. Hyejin looks at me then at her. ‘Wheein lock up.’ I instructed. ‘Hyejin take a cab and send the idiot home before you come back.’ I proceeded to leave. Enough of this idiot who knows how to transport time, enough of this idiot who draws my emotions too easily, enough of her and the hold she had on me since this afternoon. The wielder of a tool is simply a tool of useless emotions. I will not be her tool. I will not be another tool.