An Odd Lady

Melting

‘It has been merely a week and yet you hold keys to my black box. I sat down with you for a mere second time and you evoke such intensity of emotions. The things that you do. The wonderful things that you are doing.’ She doesn’t say a single word. Her eyes merely more clouded with fear. ‘Why dear Ms Kim, why have you placed yourself so sweetly opposite me?’ I feel my lips curving upwards. Feel my hand twirling with the fork. It is that dangerous strength that comes with having an upper hand. 

 

She leans back. Took a good breath. Then, she exhaled. Her eyes shut then open. She stares straight back at me. Confidently, she says, ‘Because I can help.’ At that one can only laugh and so I did. The strength this woman has. The outright randomness of this human being holding my gaze.  ‘In one week, you made me more mental than before. Yet, you stand here like a stubborn child firmly believing you will be of aid. Who are you?’ A point blank, direct shot. I’m tired of the wondering. I just want to know. 

 

‘Mrs Moon Jung Hwa.’ That name, that tone, my mother'ss name is a foreign one. ‘That is your mother right?’ I blinked once. The curiosity subsided, the defense raises. ‘Who are you?’ I asked sternly. The name, our relation, just who is this lady? ‘If I said she sent me, will you believe me?’ she spoke so calmly that it sends a chill down my spine. ‘You mean that was a whole set up when you flung that glass of water at your ex?’ my curiosity was like a wild horse, under each stomp my tongue becomes numb. There were questions but there is I. 

She shakes her head. ‘I came to scout. I didn’t expect to find nudes on Yong Jae’s phone,’ she paused awhile, evidently still affected by the unexpected discovery barely a week ago. ‘Mrs Moon…she has many stories which she picks and chooses to share. I just want to help. Ajusshi agreed. Thus, I am determined that I can help.’ If life was as easy as dominos falling as per one’s intent, I will not be opposite this lady. What transpired next was a conversation that mimicked a timed quiz show. 

‘How did you meet my mother.’ I enquired. 

‘She volunteered at where I work. Why haven’t you met her?’ She shot back

‘My mother and I aren’t two ladies who will enjoy a cup of tea together. Considering you know about Cafe Le Blue, just how much did she mention my private life to you?’ Just how much of a revelation was I to her?

‘She is proud of you. Do you want to have tea with her?’ why are her answers always half-baked. I heaved a sigh. 

‘We don’t do tea. Neither a meal, if you are having weird ideas. Am I your extra curriculum project?’ My annoyance nearly slipped as I wanted to add the additional question if single life was that boring that quick. 

‘I believe that everything happens for a reason. There is no such thing as an extra. I can and want to help. Will you let me?’ she sounded so sincere but such an odd fellow. 

‘Were the nudes hot?’ I asked. Going way off topic. 

‘What’ Her eyes wide at my sudden right hook. 

‘I don’t feel like talking about my mother. I don’t want to talk about I, my mother, our relationship or even you. So were the nudes hot?’ I probed once more

‘Objectively, I think so,’ her head slightly titles to the right as if unsure as to why she was answering me. ‘You like girls?!’ She sounds stunned. 

I shrugged my shoulders. 

‘wow..’ she exclaims softly ‘Mrs Moon did not mention that to me,’ she mumbles. 

‘My mother will not expose what she does not wish to acknowledge.’ I replied calmly. 

 

As per my conclusion,  the timer chimes. ‘To what is worth, she does love you. When Mrs Moon speaks of you, there is love there.’ she speaks eloquently. ‘I know but I wish she didn’t.’ Speaking for minutes about my mother feels odd. Even the phone is a dial tone. 

‘Why do you want to help?’ I asked once more. She looked straight at me as she proceeds to tell, ’I was there in court. I watched as a girl just kept looking at her hands. I saw how the attorney fought to have the case dismissed. The judge ever willing to dismiss the hearing and head back for my birthday dinner. Then, I met the girl’s mother. Heard more about the girl as her mother tipped toed around the events discussed only factually in court. I believe in fate. I believe that Cafe Le Blue with the nudes happened for a reason.’ 

Hearing but not processing, I nodded my head. Stood up and walked away. 

When I finally reached home, I was greeted by Hyejin who had fallen asleep on the couch. I grabbed a blanket and placed it over her body. 

 

Fate, what an odd lady you brought to me.