Three is a tall Tree

Melting

‘Hyejin Ajumma!’ I yelled out in frustration. The crazy hunt for that prick didn’t go as intended. This is so stifling. This is irresponsibility. How dare she just take flight after planting a quiz that has no answer? Stupid lady must have turned right when she was not right. As the annoyance built within, I took off my footwear like a spoilt child who didn’t get her candy.

 

‘Unnie.’ She whines as her face of disapproval at my endearing term is vividly portrayed. ‘I am 3 years younger.’ She emphasis on the word that holds no place in our conversation, I dismissed the facts that she lays forth. ‘You look way too similar to my dead 3rd aunt. Even the number 3 is part of your similarity with her.’ To further support the similarities, I stood explicitly close to her. My mouth nearly in line with the optimal crown of her head, ‘3cm taller just like her too.’

 

She swats the top of her head. Dusting away the burden of the facts that I had returned. ‘Did Mother reply?’ I asked. She sighed and points at the white envelope on the dining table as a reply. I stared at it. Judging by the thickness of the envelope, I decided it was best to ignore it. At least this time she didn’t pass me whatever I had handed to her. Either it was pride that had fade or pride had lost to the harsh materialistic nature of our world.

 

‘Unnie. I heard from Wheein that you bolted out of the café today. Anything exciting?’ To divert my attention from dwelling on the thoughts of Mother, Hyejin decided on gossip. Wheein? I paused. A smirk naturally forms. ‘What kind of cozy mannerism have you been up to? The last I heard the timid waitress was still known as Ms Jung.’ Her jaw drop as the bullet she fired became a boomerang within seconds.

 

Hyejin blushes and turns away. Avoiding my gaze she looks up at the ceiling. I could sense her brain cells rummaging through its nearly empty quarters, aka her skull. Some must have met in the middle, she turns with her chest slightly puffed out. ‘We are the same age. Of course I would call her by her first name. Plus, if that wasn’t the only other place you visit would I have to be bothered in getting myself acquainted with the individuals there. Also if you have more decency in selecting a less suspicious hobby of people watching, would I need to brace myself in case someone felt that you were a creep. I’m getting more people on our side.’ Hyejin concludes her explanation.

 

‘And what is our side?’ I questioned. ‘The sied of Moon Byul Yi is not a creep.’ She states with conviction. I smiled lovingly at her. Then made the 3cm height difference be put into good use by smacking the crown of her head. ‘Aish.’ I chided and moved past her. Lying on the sofa, I closed my eyes. Running around 4 streets for that thorn in my to be taken out is exhausting. ‘Anyway, we should be receiving an additional 631,934.14 won tomorrow if all goes well.’ I said.

 

‘Unnie, if you keep this up the stock market is going to come over and start questioning you all over again.’ She warns of the possible reoccurrence of last summer. ‘The council is stupid. What kind of insider trader would earn less than a billion won in an opening? Furthermore, I took more measures this time round. I’m not going to be dabbling in their stupidity till 16 days later.’ I replied.

 

I felt her body weight intrude my space. ‘Unnie but why did you run out of the café today. Did you have an episode?’ Hyejin’s worries clearly voiced in the way she enunciated of her words. ‘Wheein explained that there was a couple who quarreled at the café today.’ She pauses to check for any telltale signs that I may provide. When I didn’t she continues, ‘you alright?’

 

I heaved a sigh. Opened my eyes to see her concerned gaze. Shaking my head, I stuffed my hand into my bag and grabbed my camera. Scrolling past the unnecessary, I halted at the picture of her. ‘She is my problem.’ I told Hyejin. The vexation I felt towards her couldn’t be hidden. ‘Who is she.’ She asks. The photo of my irritation was nothing more than a puzzle for Hyejin. ‘She was the lady who dumped her boyfriend in the café. Threw a glass of water at him. It was all rather dramatic.’ I provided the clearest of explanation and yet Hyejin continues looking at the photo in confusion.

 

I motioned for the camera to be handed over. She does so as the dots that I have marked are obviously not going to be connected by her. Oh Hyejin.  I zoomed in into her face. Pointing at her eyes, ‘she is hurt and sad.’ Instead of an expression of eureka, Hyejin face contorted to show that I have only messed up the muddle head that sits beside me.

 

‘He did her wrong. She wrong the right by cutting free from the bad and yet she is hurt and sincerely upset.’ I highlighted the main points of my exasperation. Immediately she burst out laughing. I think I need to stab Hyejin too. ‘Unnie so you ran out to find her because you can’t comprehend why she is really sad?’ I hear the mockery tone as she conjure the sentence midst her laughter. I didn’t response. I plainly gave her a look of disapproval.

 

When she had collected her leftover bearings, she clears before saying, ‘I hope you find her.’ Next the widest beam of excitement was shown across her face. ‘You look like Harley Quinn.’ I remarked. ‘I’m hotter than Harley Quinn.’ She replies in sheer ignorance. Her smug look deserves a stab too. Her overly wide smile needs to be wipe off. My hand reaches up and pulls both side of her cheek. In an instance, the smile is gone and replaced by a straight face. ‘I hate to love you.’ I confessed. With no change in our position, ‘and I hate you too.’ Her words not properly pronounced due to my refusal in letting her cheeks go. She rolls her eyes then released my grip from her cheeks.

 

‘Café Le Beau is having roast chicken as its dinner special.’ I told her through the thin walls of our rooms, as we got dressed. My room door opens, ‘we only ever go there.’ She complains. ‘If I don’t support my café who would.’ I said in defense. ‘You just bought the place on a whim.’ She retorts. My mouth open but I could not come up with a smart reply. So the mouth shuts once more. ‘Roast chicken and Ms Wheein or Fried chicken from Farty Ajusshi.’ I laid out the options.

 

Hyejin simply turns around, ‘I rather increase our chances of meeting your thorn.’ I took my cap and the keys. While going down the lift in silence, I wondered if anyone would even bother to return to the place where a past scene had occur. Would I go back to that rooftop apartment? Would I even be able to make it past the 3rd floor?