CHANGRICK (Changjo x Ricky)

Inked

“Captains, pick your teams.”

Changhyun shifted awkwardly on the sidelines as he waited for his name to be called. He glared at Chanhee, who only smiled back cheekily in response. He’d purposefully not named him, just to watch him sweat.

He sighed as more and more people joined the teams. Chanhee finally seemed to take pity on him and was about to call his name.

“Changhyun.”

He blinked. That wasn’t Chanhee. The latter stared in surprise as Changhyun shuffled robotically over to his team. Jonghyun’s team. His crush’s team.

He stood off to the side, unfamiliar with his teammates. He could only hope the coach didn’t tell everyone to pair up.

“Okay everyone. Pair up with your teammates and practice your passes.”

He deflated. He could see Chanhee look at him apologetically, but he waved him off. Sighing, he turned to grab a ball out of the basket. Maybe he could practice with the wall or something.

He took a step forward and bumped into someone.

“Hey, Changhyun.”

He blushed furiously as Jonghyun greeted him, casually tossing a ball from hand to hand.

“Uh, want to be my partner?”

Changhyun nodded wordlessly and followed him to an empty spot on the court.

“Ready?”

He crouched, his hands ready. Jonghyun gently tossed him the ball and he hit it back, his eyebrows furrowed in concentration. No way was he going to embarrass himself.

They passed the ball back and forth in silence. He shrugged at Chanhee when the other shot him curious glances from the other side of the gym.

“So, uh…”

Changhyun caught the ball in surprise.

“Yeah?” he asked tentatively.

“Well, um,” Jonghyun gestured for him to toss the ball, “You know, we’ve been classmates for years but we don’t really talk.”

“I guess,” Changhyun shrugged, trying his best to look nonchalant despite his thundering heart.

They hit the ball a few more times in silence. Changhyun prayed the air wasn’t as awkward as he thought it was.

“What do you like to do?” he blurted out.

Jonghyun took his focus off the ball.

“Me? I like to dance.”

Changhyun snapped his fingers.

“That’s true, I remember. The talent show, right?” he asked.

Jonghyun nodded, looking a little nervous.

“You were really good,” Changhyun smiled at him.

He looked relieved.

“Really?”

“Of course. You should be part of a dance team or something.”

“I am, actually. We’re looking for members,” he caught the ball, “Do you… happen to dance?”

Without the ball to distract him, Changhyun had no choice but to look at Jonghyun. He was staring back expectantly.

“Well, yes,” Jonghyun’s face brightened, “Never with a team though.”

“Oh, that’s okay. We just want people to join,” his hands fiddled with the ball, “You can come watch a class and then decide, if you want. There’s one tonight.”

“I’ll think about it.”

 

“You joined a dance team?”

Chanhee and Niel stared at him incredulously.

“I didn’t even know you danced.”

Changhyun groaned.

“I don’t,” he covered his face with his hands, “I never took lessons. I just watch Youtube videos and copy that.”

Niel pried his hands away, but he kept his eyes shut.

“They’ll teach you choreography. It’ll just like a video. Just follow along.”

Changhyun finally opened his eyes. Chanhee was eyeing him suspiciously.

“Why did you join?”

Changhyun thought back to gym class. After the game, Jonghyun had walked up and high-fived him, telling him good job. Then he had asked him to think about his offer and smiled. Changhyun had felt his resolve waver and he had blurted out that he’d be there before he could stop himself.

“There might be a guy,” he coughed, diverting his eyes.

“Aha!” Chanhee pointed at him, “Who is it?”

“Choi Jonghyun,” he sighed.

“Ooh, the really cute dancer boy?” Chanhee leaned forward, “He asked you to join?”

Changhyun nodded, a flush rising up his neck. The other regarded him for a while, pursing his lips.

“What?” he finally snapped.

“You like him, don’t you?” he smirked.

Changhyun sputtered. Chanhee just looked at him knowingly.

 

When Changhyun walked into the dance studio, Jonghyun looked up from where he was stretching and bounded over.

“Hey,” he beamed, “You came.”

“Well, I said I would, didn’t I?” he laughed, a little self-consciously.

He walked into the room, glancing around.

“I gotta say, I’m a little nervous.”

“Don’t worry, I’m sure you’ll do fine,” he pat his shoulder reassuringly, “Here, come stretch with me.”

Jonghyun pulled him to the mirror. They made idle chit-chat as they stretched. Changhyun answered his questions with a shy smile, trying not to stare at the other’s arms.

“Okay, everyone. Gather round,” the instructor clapped his hands.

Changhyun stood up and joined the circle, trying to ignore the way Jonghyun’s hand was brushing against his.

“First, I just want to welcome all new members,” he nodded to a few people, “I hope you all enjoy dancing with us.”

He turned towards the mirror.

“Now, we have a recital planned in a few months, so I want to get started right away,” he gestured for them to get into lines, “We’ll start off with a simple choreography.”

He switched on the music and got into place.

Changhyun took a deep breath and closed his eyes, letting the beat of the music wash over him.

 

“Hey Changhyun, wait up!”

Changhyun whirled around and caught sight of Jonghyun jogging his way. He pretended not to notice the way his shirt stuck to his skin.

“You did really well today,” he grinned at him once he caught up, “I didn’t know you were so good.”

Changhyun blushed at the compliment. He shouldered his bag.

“Thanks for telling me about it. I had fun.”

They started walking together to the school gates.

“What are you thinking of doing for the dance?”

Changhyun sighed. The instructor had left them with a project, a challenge to choreograph their own dance, with the promise of letting them perform it at the recital.

“Oh, I don’t know,” he puffed his cheeks, “I don’t really know much about choreographing.”

“What kind of dance do you do?”

“I think I’d be okay with anything, really,” he shrugged.

“Why don’t you partner up with me then?” Jonghyun grinned at him.

Changhyun could already imagine all the embarrassing fumbles and accidents he would have if it was just the two of them dancing. Yet, as Jonghyun smiled eagerly at him, he found himself unable to say no.

“Yeah, that’d be great.”

 

Changhyun started meeting up with Jonghyun after school a few times a week to practice. His friends had all been caught up with the reasons for his absences, so they all winked knowingly at him when he shouldered his dance bag.

Jonghyun, he soon came to find out, was a passionate dancer and a great partner. But he was all about the complicated footwork, and honestly Changhyun wanted to die after each rehearsal. But he soldiered on, and was rewarded each time with a bright smile and a cool soda, so maybe it was all worth it.

He’d only slipped up a few times, but each time Jonghyun was quick to pull him up and check him for injuries, and each time Changhyun’s heart beat faster.

After a few weeks, they weren’t just meeting for dance practices anymore. Jonghyun first asked him for help with homework, soon it became meeting up for coffee. Changhyun was positively floating on air.

When Changhyun recounted these events to Chanhee, the other had listened amusedly.

“He totally likes you.”

Changhyun had blushed then and stuttered.

“He doesn’t. I- I’m sure he’s just being nice.”

“Sure,” he rolled his eyes, “You’ll see.”

 

“You ready?”

Changhyun jumped at the voice. He spun around and sighed in relief when he spotted Jonghyun.

“Honestly, no,” he turned back to watch the performers already on stage, “I’m really nervous.”

“Hey,” Jonghyun slid up to stand beside him, “I’m sure you’ll do fine. You practiced a lot and you did great during rehearsal today.”

It was true. The instructor had even applauded them, commending their hard work. Still, he worried.

He was busy recounting the steps in his head when Jonghyun slipped his hand into his. He froze, startled.

“Don’t think about it too much. Just enjoy yourself up there.”

Changhyun really hoped the dimmed lights backstage hid his red cheeks.

“Changhyun, Jonghyun, you guys are next.”

 

As he waited behind the curtains, Changhyun was seriously considering running straight out the back door. But he caught Jonghyun’s eye from across the stage, the latter smiled encouragingly at him, and his nervousness eased.

 

After the performance ended, Changhyun squeezed his way through the crowd of people, trying to find his friends. He craned his neck, attempting to look over the heads.

“Changhyun!”

He turned, smiling at Jonghyun walking towards him.

“I found you,” Changhyun’s heart fluttered, “You did a great job up there today.”

“Well, you were a great teacher.”

Jonghyun shuffled his feet, suddenly looking nervous.

“Something wrong? You look a little stressed.”

“No, no,” he ran a hand through his hair, “Actually, I… I was wondering if, you know, you’d want to-“

“Changhyun!”

They both whipped around at the yell. Changhyun groaned as Chanhee’s body slammed into him.

“Changhyun, you did so well,” he screamed in his ear, circling his arms around his waist, “I’m so proud of you.”

Changhyun’s head hurt a little with the way Chanhee was bouncing him around.

“Chanhee, put me down,” his teeth clicked together.

When the other finally let him go, Changhyun whacked him over the head, but he only smiled back fondly. Changhyun rolled his eyes and turned back to Jonghyun, who was watching the scene unfold with a stricken expression.

“Sorry about that,” he apologized, “This is Chanhee. Chanhee, Jonghyun.”

“Ah, the famous Choi Jonghyun,” Chanhee held out his hand, “The one who’s been taking Changhyun away from me.”

“It’s nice to meet you,” Jonghyun shook his head, his smile tight.

“What were you saying before?” Changhyun asked him.

Jonghyun looked slightly troubled as he took in the way Chanhee casually swung his arm around the younger next to him.

“Oh, it’s… it’s nothing,” he swallowed, “It wasn’t anything important.”

“We’re going out for pizza. Would you like to join us?”

“No thank you,” he shook his head,” I think my parents are waiting for me.”

Changhyun watched him walk away, waving half-heartedly, his shoulders hunched.

 

“I guess absence really does make the heart grow fonder,” Changhyun thought forlornly as he stared down at his wrist.

It had been almost a week since he’s last talked to Jonghyun and Changhyun was certain the other was avoiding him. He had managed to catch his eye from across the hallway, but he had just ducked his head and walked away, ignoring the calls of his name. They didn’t meet up for coffee anymore, and his texts were left unanswered.

He’d been thinking about it one night, and it made Changhyun realized just how much he liked the other boy. He’d fallen asleep, his dreams filled with images and thoughts of Jonghyun, and when he’s woken up, the tattoo glowed brightly on his wrist.

So now he was determined to find the other and talk to him. He stalked off in the direction of the dance studio.

When he got to the door, he was surprised by the bass thumping heavily through the walls. He peeked in the door and inhaled sharply at the sight of Jonghyun dancing fervently, his shirt off. What made his heart pound was the tattoo inked across his back.

He stood there, mesmerized, until Jonghyun noticed his reflection in the mirror. He stopped dancing and turned off the music. He looked a little lost for a second before seeming to make up his mind, walking over and opening the door.

“What are you doing here?” he asked gruffly.

“I came to talk to you.”

Jonghyun walked back over to the mirror.

“About what?”

Changhyun followed him into the room.

“Well, first of all,” he hesitated, “Why do you have my tattoo?”

Jonghyun took a sip of water.

“I like you,” he shrugged.

“And you didn’t think about telling me before?” Changhyun’s voice was small.

“I was going to. You looked a little occupied,” he sighed, “Why didn’t you just tell me before? About you and Chanhee. You could have spared me the heartbreak.”

Changhyun blinked at him.

“Me and… Chanhee? We’re not together.”

Jonghyun cocked his head to the side, looking a little embarrassed.

“You’re not?”

“Of course not. We’re just good friends,” Changhyun peered at him, “Were you avoiding me because you were jealous?”

Jonghyun just blushed in response, turning away. Changhyun chuckled softly and walked over to him, sliding his arms around his waist.

“I like you, Jonghyun. Not Chanhee. You.”

“Really?”

Changhyun pushed out his arm, exposing his wrist to Jonghyun. The other boy traced it lightly with his finger in wonder.

“Me?”

“Yes, you. I even joined this dance team for you,” he smiled.

The other beamed back at him. Changhyun caught sight of the tattoo scrawled across his back in the mirror’s reflection.

“Can you tell me when you got mine?”

“A few days ago,” Jonghyun hugged him closer, “I kept thinking about you and Chanhee, going on dates, holding hands, kissing. And it made me so angry.”

Changhyun nuzzled into his shoulder.

“I’m not going out with Chanhee, much less kissing him,” he declared firmly.

They stayed silent for a moment.

“Does that mean I can kiss you?”

Changhyun pulled away and looked up at Jonghyun, smiling shyly.

“I think that would be okay.”