(XIV)

Little Things

“Hi, I’m Seohyun. I’ve known Taeyeon for almost ten years so you can ask me anything about her.”

Taeyeon gives Seohyun a nudge of the elbow. “What are you babbling about?”

“Your girlfriend must be curious to know what you were like in school.”

Tiffany flashes a wide grin. “I am. What was she like?”

“Loyal. Caring. But also naughty.”

Tiffany giggles while Taeyeon almost spits her drink out. “Naughty? I wasn’t naughty. I studied hard in school.”

“And teased me all the time.”

“Seohyun . . .” Taeyeon groans.

“Is that true?” Tiffany asks Taeyeon.

“Partly. But you should know that Seohyun has unusual quirks. She doesn’t eat burgers, always puts on her seatbelt, has the deadliest elbows in the world—”

“Taeyeon!” Seohyun says with a pout.

Tiffany chuckles. “Don’t be mean.”

Taeyeon opens and closes , then crosses her arms. “It’s been less than ten minutes and the two of you are already ganging up on me.”

“We’re not,” says Tiffany and Taeyeon chuckles.

“Just kidding!”

Tiffany slaps her arm while Seohyun shakes her head. “Some things don’t change, no matter how much time passes by.”

“It’s so nice to see how close you are to each other.” Tiffany looks between Taeyeon and Seohyun. “Having such a good friend is a wonderful thing.”

Seohyun smiles. “I’m very happy to meet you today. I’ve been waiting to meet the person who makes Taeyeon so happy.”

Tiffany’s smile is warm like the sun. Taeyeon blushes and looks away. She notices one of the staff walking towards them and says, “We won’t hold you up any longer. You’re wanted.”

Seohyun turns and nods at the staff member. “We have to go out for dinner together sometime.”

“We will.”

Seohyun turns to Tiffany and smiles. “It was nice meeting you, even though it’s only for a while.”

“We’ll have to have dinner. I want to hear more about Taeyeon next time.”

“I’ll tell you everything.”

“Okay, okay. You gotta go,” says Taeyeon as she gives Seohyun a push. “You don’t have to be this eager to spill all the beans.”

“Thanks for coming, Taeyeon and Tiffany.”

“Bye . . .”

=

“Seohyun is lovely.”

“She getting cheekier as she grows older.”

“She’s not a kid anymore, Taeyeon. “She’s only two years younger than you.”

“I know. But she’ll always be that little sister to me.”

“The two of you are so cute together.”

Taeyeon chuckles. “Not jealous anymore?”

Tiffany hugs her arm. “Still jealous. But not in a bad way.”

Taeyeon smiles. “Good.”

“So what do you wanna do now?”

“Let’s go home.”

“You always say that.”

“Where else do you want to go? It’s late.”

“Let’s go out and play. I feel like singing tonight.”

“Singing?”

Tiffany nods. “Singing.”

They end up at a noraebang along a bustling street. Tiffany brings in the alcohol from the fridge outside and hands Taeyeon a bottle.

“Cheers, honey.”

Taeyeon takes a sip and puts the bottle down, much to Tiffany’s protest.

“I can’t drink it too quickly.”

Tiffany empties almost half the bottle with two big gulps. “This is how we complement each other. I’ll drink what you cannot.” With a chuckle, Taeyeon sits back and flips the book to find a song. Tiffany sidles up to her and pokes her head over Taeyeon’s shoulder to look. “I want this song!” Taeyeon keys the numbers in and the song plays. She smiles and sways her head as Tiffany sings into the mic. Her girlfriend sings well!

An hour later, their time in the room is almost up and Tiffany selects one last song to sing. The music kicks in, a melancholic tune and Tiffany turns to Taeyeon, looking deep into her eyes as she sings:

I found myself dreaming

In silver and gold

Like a scene from a movie

That every broken heart knows

We were walking on moonlight

And you pulled me close

Split second and you disappeared and then I was all alone

I woke up in tears

With you by my side

A breath of relief

And I realized

No, we’re not promised tomorrow

So I’m gonna love you

Like I’m gonna lose you

I’m gonna hold you

Like I’m saying goodbye

Wherever we’re standing

I won’t take you for granted

’cause we’ll never know when

When we’ll run out of time

So I’m gonna love you

Like I’m gonna lose you

I’m gonna love you

Like I’m gonna lose you

Tears fill their eyes as Tiffany puts the mic down. The backing music continues to play in the background, wrapping around the two souls in love.

“Thanks for loving me, even though I’m like this,” Tiffany whispers in Taeyeon’s ear, her lips barely touching. “I know how lucky I am to have found you.”

Taeyeon’s lips tremble as she pulls Tiffany’s lips to hers. The sweet touch of her lips spills more tears and her voice quivers when she says, “I’m lucky too. Don’t you know? Your love is full and fulfilling and my life is so much better because of you.”

“I still get nightmares about losing you. I still worry about losing you. I still need you to be patient with me.”

Taeyeon shakes her head. “Even if we run out of time and one of us leaves first, we’ll always be each other. We’ll both be better because we met and fell in love and gave ourselves to each other. We’ll always have that.”

“Oh my God.” Tiffany tries to smile. “How did singing a song make us so emotional?”

Taeyeon pulls a big grin. “It’s the aftereffect of watching a really good musical.”

Tiffany giggles and blinks her tears away. “I love you so much.”

“I love you just as much.”

They smile at each other, then their lips meet to say all that and more.

=

We’ll stop here and let the rest of their story be unwritten.
Thank you for reading and supporting this short story that ended up becoming a little longer than intended :)

The song lyrics used in this piece is also a song used in a FMV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3jvJg6Fils