(X)

Little Things

When Taeyeon was just a young girl, she used to watch cartoons. She still watches cartoons as an adult but that’s a story for another time. The point is, she remembers, with startling clarity, a scene in a cartoon where an evil cat tried to shoot a mouse with a machine gun. She remembers the gun firing rapidly, non-stop, for as long as there was ammunition. And if she were to compare that scene to her current situation, Tiffany would be the cat with the gun and she, the mouse, dodging bullets like a pro.

Ever since that post-jog surprise visit, Tiffany has become twice as clingy as before. Taeyeon doesn’t know why but it is becoming a little too much to handle. She gets messages flying in throughout the day, proclaiming Tiffany’s love for her in sweet little messages like ‘I love u’ or ‘I miss u’ or ‘I wish u were here’. Taeyeon gets that Tiffany is a passionate woman who expresses herself without reservation but sending digital love notes to her eight or nine times a day might be bordering on obsession.

On top of the digital love notes, Tiffany is over at her shop practically every day after work. When she’s in the country, that is. And she would insist on staying over every single time she visits. While Taeyeon is definitely happy to see more of Tiffany, she can’t help but feel something is amiss. It shows in the little things—a smile that’s too wide, a look too earnest, a touch too desperate. So one day, after Tiffany shows up at her shop with dinner in take-out boxes, she decides to broach the subject.

“Fany, is there something you want to tell me?”

Tiffany looks up at Taeyeon, eyes wide open. “Not really.”

“Are you sure?”

“What do you mean?”

“I mean, you’ve been acting strange lately. It feels like something’s bothering you.”

“Why would you say that?”

“Well, you’ve been bombarding me with texts and calls and you’ve been coming over all the time and—”

“Is there anything wrong with that? We’ve been together for less than three months and you’re already getting sick of me?”

“No, I’m not getting sick of you. I’m very happy to spend more time with you. But something doesn’t feel right.”

“What doesn’t feel right.”

“You, now. You’re being defensive.”

“I’m not being defensive.”

“You’re questioning. And accusing.” Taeyeon takes Tiffany’s hands and holds them to her chest. “Don’t worry, you can tell me anything.”

Tiffany pulls her hands away and stands up. “I have nothing to tell you. And I’m not being defensive. Stop accusing me.”

Taeyeon stands as well. “Fine. If that’s the way you want to be, be that way.” She’s not prepared for when Tiffany actually picks up her bag to leave. “You’re leaving?”

“Yes, I’m leaving. I won’t stay if you don’t want me to. I won’t come over either. And I won’t text you. I’ll go away and leave you alone.”

Tiffany’s behaviour is beyond Taeyeon’s comprehension and she loses her patience. “Just do whatever you want. I have nothing more to say.” She stands frozen as Tiffany marches out of her shop and slams the door shut. Then, she sinks back onto her seat and digs her fingers into her hair. All she wants is the truth. Why won’t Tiffany tell her what’s bothering her? Taeyeon can’t figure it out.

=

Taeyeon doesn’t receive any texts or calls from Tiffany the next day. By lunch time, she wonders if she had gone too far yesterday. But really, she hadn’t said anything wrong to Tiffany. After thinking about it for some time, Taeyeon decides to send Tiffany a text. After all, having an extended cold war isn’t her idea of a good relationship.

Im sorry

She gets busy with the dogs’ baths after that and by the time she has time to check her phone again, there are two missed calls and a text from Tiffany.

The message is short but says everything.

I’m sorry too. I rly shouldn’t have.

I care for u. that’s why I asked.

):

Don’t be sad. It’s ok.

I rly messed up.

No u didn’t.

I did ):

What do u mean?

I’ll tell u after I get back.

Where r u now?

Had an emergency this morn. I’m out of seoul.

Ok…when r u coming back?

Tomorrow.

So I’ll see u tmr

Ok

Taeyeon purses her lips as she puts her phone away. So there really is something on Tiffany’s mind. She doesn’t know what it is but it won’t be long before she finds out. She just hopes it isn’t something too horrible. But the fact that Tiffany didn’t send Prince Fluffy to her before leaving Seoul feels a little ominous to her and she doesn’t like the feeling one bit.

=