.Chapter 8.

Enemy or... Mate?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Sungyeol’s eyes fluttered close with a soothing feeling descending upon him as long and slender fingers treaded through his hairs. He had calm down by now and the whole credit goes to his mother. He listened to her soft voice as she talks about one random thing to another. Sungyeol admire her mother greatly… she always know how to handle critical situation and it was her quick wittiness that had distracted Sungyeol from his earlier murderess thoughts in a nanosecond. Even now the woman was reminding him about his childhood story as he lay with his head in her lap… she was good at distracting him.

 

“You are sleepy now, I think I should leave.” His mother muttered softly while patting his head tenderly. She made to move Sungyeol’s head from her lap to his pillow but he was fast to stop her and let out a small whine.

 

“No, don’t go… stay a little more,” Sungyeol mumbled in her lap, making his mother to laugh at his childlike and clingy behavior.

 

“Alright, I would stay till you fall asleep.” She agreed and started humming a lullaby.

 

Sungyeol was calm from outside but his inside was a huge mess. His mind seemed to be turning and turning like a wheel of a hamster… and mustering up enough courage and right words, he called out to his mother, who ‘hummed’ in reply.

 

“Say, mom… I am curious about something. Why was I named after grandpa?” Sungyeol knew his father would be better candidate to be asked such a question but after the little stunt he had pulled, he doubt his father would even wanna see his face, let alone entertaining his little curiosities.

 

“Hmm,” His mother fell silent, as if she was in deep thought. “Well it just so happened, while I was pregnant with you, a very strong disease started to spread in our tribe and your grandfather became the victim of that virus. Your grandfather wasn’t an old man but the illness took a great toll on him… he was fighting his death the day you were born. And per our tribe’s law, your grandfather didn’t wait even a single day and made your father the new Alpha. I am sure you would have heard about it… your grandfather died the next day.”

 

Sungyeol did knew his grandfather died the very next day when his own father was appointed as the Alpha but he wasn’t aware of the background story to it… and he was eager to know more.

 

“Then we have the law of naming that had been followed for generation in werewolves. The new born child is named under the bright full moon… it is believed that the power of full moon binds itself with the child’s name. The full moon arrived after ten days of your being born… where your father was sad at his lose there he was happy to have a son he had been talking about animatedly for last nine months now.” The Alpha’s mate smiled as she recalled the precious memory. “He already had thought of your name long ago… Lee Sungjong.”

 

“What??” Sungyeol jolt up from his lying position in order to face his mother with his eyes wide with surprise. “Sungjong??”

 

His mother laughed at his baffled expression. “Yeah… it was always my Sungjongie would be like this or my Sungjongie would do that…,” She again laughed softly.

 

“But then how…?” Sungyeol felt lost and more intrigue than ever.

 

“On the day of naming ceremony, your father announced your name before the ceremony has started… it looks good if the Alpha takes in the opinion of his people. Since the wound of your grandfathers death was still fresh in the heart of the whole tribe, so the elders wished to name you after your grandfather. I was fine with this decision, I don’t know why, but your father disagreed… I mean, it was the name of his father so I thought he would be okay with it as well but he wasn’t.” The pretty lady-wolf had a frown etched on her face now as she kept looking in space like she could recall the expression on her mates face. “Your father went as far as to say he would name you anything but ‘Lee Sungyeol’… and that angered the elders. They said your father has no heart thus he might be incapable to be the Alpha of the tribe. Your father still fought but in the end majority won and you were named ‘Lee Sungyeol’.”

 

Sungyeol was left speechless… why had he never heard this story before?

 

“Well that explains why Dad loves Sungjong more than me.” Finally Sungyeol grunted, while huffing in annoyance.

 

“Don’t think like that Yeollie, your father loves you both equally.” The Alpha’s mate reassured him but then a calculated look took over her face. “It’s not that he hated the name, he just looked kind of scared. Right after the naming ceremony, a thunderstorm came even if the night was clear earlier. Your father kept you in his embrace all night long… that’s how much he loved you.”

 

“But what was he so scared of?” Sungyeol couldn’t help but ask.

 

“I don’t know he never told me.”

 

“How is that possible? Dongwoo says he can’t help himself and tell Claudia everything.”

 

“That is because Dongwoo and Claudia are true mates… while your father and I were betrothal to be mated.” Sungyeol looked at his mother’s forlorn expression and felt bad for prodding so deep. “The sun is about to rise… you have been up all night Sungyeol, you should sleep now.”

 

Sungyeol turned to stare at the dark blue with a hint of orange sky and realize that his body was indeed tired because of the last night’s adventure so he nodded at his mother’s request.

 

“Mom,” Sungyeol called out as his mother got off the bed. “Since I am grounded I would have to stay here but I think I am gonna go mad all alone… can you please ask Dad to at least allow Dongwoo, Claudia and Sungjong to come and keep me company. Pleaseee Mom.” Sungyeol gaze at his mother wide innocent eyes with a cute pout to make her heart softer.

 

The Alpha’s mate sighed but nodded with smiled at her son and even ‘pinky promise’ at her son’s insistent request.

 

Sungyeol lay down on his bed as soon as the door closed behind his mother… he was tired but he couldn’t just sleep after hearing that story. Myungsoo knew about his grandfather, but how was that possible, even if the vampire was quite old. And that virus that infected their tribes people… so, was that connected to Myungsoo somehow?

 

With his mind filled with such questions, Sungyeol somehow landed himself in an uncomfortable sleep. His subconscious mind kept bringing him into weird worlds and even then he knew he was dreaming. Fidgeting here and there, Sungyeol again found himself cornering the pale boy in the forest but this time the boy was giving off werewolf’s scent

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter