Chapter 9

His Voice

The sudden peeping of his phone brought Ryeowook back to reality. Shaking his head slightly he tried to clear his mind from the day dreams but the smile that had placed itself on his face as he had thought about the many special moments they shared with each other still stayed. Ever since the evening on Yokohama Marine Tower something between them had change, though the Eternal Maknae couldn´t name it. Yesung seemed to have gotten even clingier and their skin ship had increased to the point where even the other members commented on it. In addition their oldest main vocal often threw him glances the younger just couldn´t place. It had gotten to the extent where Ryeowook sometimes though that just maybe the older was thinking of him as more than a friend as well, but every time he quickly pushed the thought to the back of his mind. He didn´t want to get his hopes up, too afraid to get hurt later. Plus he was pretty sure Yesung was only interested in woman.

Letting out an annoyed groan, the young Korean quickly grabbed his phone. The message sign was blinking wildly and when he unlocked his phone the name on the display made his heart beat faster ones again. Opening the message he jumped up quickly, as he noticed that he had totally forgotten about Yesung´s request over all his memories.

“Wookie, are you already on the way? If not, my jacket is still hanging in the dorm. Could you bring it too? “

Rushing to the bathroom, he quickly typed an answer before checking his make-up. Grabbing a shirt from the clean laundry, he was more than glad that he hadn´t had removed his make-up yet. Just giving it a little touch up, he hastily searched for his keys before grabbing his jacket and heading out of the door.

It was about half an hour later when he arrived at the dorms. Arriving at their floor he was about to ring the bell, when the door was flung open and Heechul hurriedly walked passed him, just throwing him a quick greeting. Furrowing his brows in confusion, the Eternal Maknae decided to just pass it off as one of his Hyung´s weird antics before stepping into the dorm, closing the door behind him. He was about to look for the oldest main vocal´s bag pack when Eunhyuk suddenly appeared in front of him, startling him.

»Wow Hyung, you scared me! What are you doing here? « He starred at the older in surprise, causing Eunhyuk to let out a loud laugh.

»I still live here if you have already forgotten! « The black-haired winked at him before sending him one of his gummy smiles »But what are you doing here? «

»Jongwoon Hyung forgot his bag here yesterday. He asked me to bring it to the company for him. « Ryeowook explained and was about to continue his search for the bag but the older´s voice made him stop in his tracks, leaving him confused ones again.

»So Jongwoon Hyung, I see…«

»I...What do you mean, Hyung? «

»Ryeowook-ah, do you have a moment? « Eunhyuk suddenly sounded serious which confused the younger even more.

»I don´t know, Hyung. Yesung…« he didn´t want to offend his Hyung, but he was already late due to his earlier daydreaming.

»Please. Just give me five minutes « their rapper sounded really concerned, causing Ryeowook to nod in defeat.

»Thanks. I am gonna get us some coffee. « Before the Eternal Maknae could protest the older was already heading towards the kitchen. Plopping down on the sofa Ryeowook waited impatiently for the other to return. When he did, the black-haired handed him a cup of hot coffee, before plopping down as well. Taking a sip the younger waited for Eunhyuk to come to the point but the older just kept quiet.

»Hyung, what is it? «

»Ryeowook-ah, « the younger had seldom heard the other that serious and he unconsciously gripped the cup harder »you really like him, don´t you? « The direct question surprised Ryeowook to no end, causing him to choke on the coffee, coughing loudly. Eunhyuk immediately padded his back and raised a questioning brown ones the younger´s breathing had return to normal.

»H…how…« The Eternal Maknae was still speechless.

»How I know? Come on Ryeowook, everybody can see it! So I am right, ain´t I? «

Still not knowing what to say, the younger just nodded, causing another gummy smile to spread across the older´s lips.

»Alright then…« the smile on the rapper´s face seemed to grow even bigger, before handing him the oldest main vocal´s bag and jacket. »Here you go. Now get going! «

Instead of taking it though, the younger just blinked at the other in utter confusion. Not only was he surprised the older knew about his crush but his whole behavior was kind of weird. Before he could think about it any further, Eunhyuk push Yesung´s stuff into his hand, pulling him up from the sofa afterwards.

»Come on, get going! You don´t want to let him wait. «

Before Ryeowook could react in any way, he was nearly pushed out of the dorm by Eunhyuk, leaving him even more confused than when he came.

 

It was about half an hour later when Ryeowook arrived at the company building. He had spent the ride thinking over their rappers weird behavior, but as he parked his car in front of the company his thoughts were replaced with anticipation of seeing his best friends. They didn´t see each other for the last two days, as they both had been busy with their own schedules, but the Eternal Maknae felt like it had been much longer. Ever since they had gotten even closer, he missed the oldest main vocal even more whenever they were apart.

Entering the building he was about to reach for his phone to send the older a message, asking where he was, when he remembered he had forgotten his phone on the stacker in his bathroom. Getting annoyed at himself, he thought about where the older could be. Ever since SM had moved to the new building, Yesung mostly spend his time in one of the training rooms on the upper floors, so he decided to try there first.

Arriving at the floor he quickly made his way to said room, not wanting to wait any longer to see his best friend. He was about a meter away when he heard the other´s voice and his mood went down immediately. He had hoped to catch the older alone so he could spend some time with just the other but obviously he wasn´t lucky today. Moments later a second voice spoke up that Ryeowook identified as Heechul´s. It wondered him a little why Heechul had left the dorms so hurriedly if he was just going to meet Yesung in the practice room. Still he didn´t think too much about it.

He was about to knock on the door but something made him stop in his tracks. He couldn´t explain what it was, but instead of entering, he peeked through the window embedded into the door. His two Hyungs were sitting close to each other on the ground, backs leaning on the wall, heads turned towards each other. What Ryeowook the most though was that Yesung was holding both of Heechul´s hands in his own, causing jealousy run through the young Korean´s body immediately. He wanted nothing more than to slam the door open and pull the two apart, but he restrained himself. Instead he kept quiet, waiting for what would happen next. It was only moments later that Yesung spoke up again, his voice so serious it made the younger wonder if this was really the Hyung he knew.

»Listen, there is something I am wanting to tell you for a while now. « The words that left his best friend´s mouth had the Eternal Maknae´s heart beating in fright of what was to come. Something in him told him to just run but he ignored it. Instead he just held his breath.

 »The thing is: I love you! «

The moment those words reached his ears, Ryeowook felt his heart breaking immediately, shattering like glass. His heart tightened painfully and before he knew what he was doing he had already flung the door open, causing the other two to let out surprised gasps.

»Wookie? « Yesung jumped up immediately and reach out his hand towards him, but he just ignored it. Instead he dropped the bag and jacket in front of the older uncerimonially before turning on his heels. Running as fast as he could, he could hear Yesung and Heechul calling out for him, but he didn´t care. As soon as he reached his car he got on and left as fast as legally possible. He didn´t really know where he was driving. All he knew was, that he wanted to get as far away as possible.

 

He ended up at the Han-River a little outside of Seoul. Feeling the adrenaline subside, pure sadness started to overtake all of his senses and tears welled up in his eyes. Quickly parking his car, he made his way to the river, sitting down on the ground, hugging his knees to his chest. Yesung´s words still kept repeating in his mind – the words he had heard the older´s say to him in his dreams, the words he had known he would never hear from his best friend, but had still hoped so.

He had known that someday Yesung would fall in love with someone else but he had never thought it would be this painful. It was like his heart was shattering into million pieces over and over again every time the words repeated in his mind. He just hadn´t been prepared for this yet, and the fact that the one the older obviously had fallen for was a man made it even worse. He had told himself that the older would never fall for him, because he was just interested in woman, but knowing that wasn´t the case, he felt like someone stabbed his heart with a burning knife, turning und twisting it around. Why couldn´t it be him their oldest main vocal had fallen for? What did Heechul have that he didn´t?

As if the weather wanted to adjust to his mood, heavy, cold rain drops suddenly started falling, getting heavier by the minute. Yet, Ryeowook didn´t care. He didn´t care if he got sick or anything, instead he closed his eyes, letting the heavy rain slowly numbing his senses.

Only when he couldn´t feel his toes anymore, did he return to his apartment. Discarding his wet clothes carelessly, he took a quick shower before popping down on his sofa lifelessly, turning on a soppy, romantic drama on TV. Just as he was about to get comfortable his eyes fell on the older´s jacket he still hadn´t returned ever since the day they spend in Yokohama. He knew he shouldn´t, but he couldn´t help himself, as he walked over and hugged it to his chest. Turning off the sound of the TV he put on the recording Yesung had gifted him when he was in social service. Returning back to his sofa, still hugging the jacket tightly, he finally let go of the tears he had been holding. He didn´t know how long he spend like that, crying over the love of his life, when he heard the doorbell ring. Deciding he didn´t want to see anyone right now, he choose to just turn it off, before crying himself to sleep slowly.