Chapter 3

His Voice

The first time he heard his voice singing just for him was in that fateful night that nearly turned them into a twelve member group ones again. They had been busy with innumerous schedules all day so when Ryeowook had finally washed up and snuggled into bed he immediately fell into a dreamless sleep. That was until he felt someone shaking him restlessly.

»…up! Ryeowook-ah, wake up! «

Coming slowly back to consciousness the small Korean opened his eyes a little, only to be blinded by the bright lights in the room. Crunching his eyes together he quickly turned around to hide his face in the covers, but whoever was there didn´t give up.

»Ryeowook-ah, you need to wake up! «

Turning around again he tried to figure out who was interrupting his sleep. He was sure it was one of his hyungs but he couldn´t place the voice as his brain was still clouded by sleep. Opening his eyes slowly this time he saw a bright red mop of hair.

»Heechul Hyung? What do you want? It´s not yet time to wake up! I am sure I set an alarm! « a look at the clock at the wall verified his suspicion. It was only half past midnight, so what did this crazy Hyung of his from him?

»Ryeowook-ah, you need to wake up! They had an accident! « in his half-conscious state it took his the Eternal Maknae to understand the meaning of those words, but when he did he suddenly was wide awake.

 

»Accident?! Who? What happened? « throwing away the blanket he could feel his heart accelerating its beat and his hands starting to shake in fear. How could this be? Heechul himself just had fully recovered from his accident, so how could they be so unlucky to have the next members hurt now? His thoughts were interrupted as the older spoke up again.

»I don´t know exactly. Manager Hyung just called and said Teukkie, Shindong, Eunhyuk and Kyuhyun got into an accident on the way back home from Sukira and are in hospital but it seem to be pretty serious. Me, Donghae, Sungmin and Kangin are preparing to go there now. The other members are in the kitchen. They…« the elder´s voice broke as a tear rolled down his face and Ryeowook felt as if a cold hand reached for his heart. Heechul wasn´t one to cry easily and grew suspicious that the older knew more than he told him.

»Hyung, can I come please? «

»I don´t know, Ryeowook-ah? « the older´s voice was hesitant but he needed to see himself his fellow members were fine.

»Please, Hyung! «

»Ok, fine. We are leaving in ten minutes so be ready by then «

It didn´t even take him ten minutes to join the others in the kitchen, fully dressed already. A heavy silence filled the room as for ones nobody was talking. Tears filled most of the members’ eyes while Donghae was walking u and down with his cellphone in hand, probably trying to call Eunhyunk. The bad feeling in Ryeowook´s stomach multiplied when he noticed Siwon quietly praying in one of the corners and he hoped he was just reading too much into it.

The ride to the hospital seemed endless. They all kept silent each one busy with their own worries and thoughts. As soon as they arrived a nurse immediately took them to a room and Ryeowook let out a sigh of relieve as it was just a regular room, but the anxiousness come back the same instance he noticed that the room was empty except for Shindong. He froze at the thought that passed his head but was awoken seconds later when Sungmin pushed passed him, running right towards Shindong. Trying to not jump to conclusions he followed slowly. When he stood next to be others beside his Hyung´s bed Shindong had just started to tell what exactly had happened, but there was something more important he needed to know.

»What about the others? « his voice trembled, but Shindong seemed to have understood anyways.

»Teukkie and Eunhyuk are in operation right now. They should be done soon «

»What about Kyu? « This time it was Sungmin to interrupt the other impatiently.

»Kyu, he…« the other´s voice trembled and he gulped hard as tears ran down his face. »He got thrown out of the car. He…he is in critical condition. They say…«

»Where? « Ryeowook knew he was being impolite, but he just couldn´t care at this moment.

»Down the hall but Ryeowook, you can´t go there. You…« he didn´t hear the rest as he was already out of the door and running down the hallway.

Asking a nurse for the room on his way he nearly bumped into the youngest member´s parents. He noticed their red eyes from crying immediately as they greeted him before their glance turned back to the window embedded into the wall. Following their eyes he instantly regretted doing so. The image in front of him broke his heart. Inside the room was Kyuhyun lying lifelessly with different types of wires and tubes connected to his body. The sight was frightening and he couldn´t stop the tears from falling. That was until he felt Mrs. Cho grab his hand, squeezing it slightly. He felt her hand tremble and squeezed it in return trying to give her a little comfort. They stayed in silence just starring at the young man in the hospital bed until the other members came telling them that the other two had successfully gotten through successfully and to get him to go back to the dorm.

As soon as they arrived back at the dorm, he immediately retreated into the kitchen. He needed some distraction and he was sure the other members wouldn´t mind something to eat as well. Preparing a quick snack he heard the other´s filling in the rest of the members but he tried his best to blend it out. He just didn´t want to think of it for a minute. After finishing the snacks the members slowly made their way back to bed but the young Korean couldn´t sleep yet. After cleaning the used utensils and plates he started to clean the kitchen cupboards one after another. They weren´t dirty, he had only cleaned the last week, but he just needed to keep himself busy. He was just about half way through with the forth cupboard when a hand placed itself on his shoulder and the voice he liked so much spoke up behind him, startling him a little.

»Wookie, what the heck are you doing here? «

»Cleaning! «

»I can see that « the older´s chuckle echoed slightly in the empty room, but he got serious seconds after. »Come on, you need to sleep. It´s 4 in the morning. Manager canceled all schedules for this morning so you can still get a few hours «

»I can´t, Hyung! I still have some cupboards left «

»Wookie, they don´t need cleaning! You cleaned them just last week «Yesung´s voice was firm but soft at the same time as he kneeled down in front of the Eternal Maknae.

»But Hyung,…« the younger wanted to protest but the taller just shook his head before freeing the cloth form the younger´s hand and dumping it into the sink.

»You need to sleep. You are no help to anyone if you pass out from tiredness « he offered a hand to the shorter man sitting on the floor, but Ryeowook just stared at him with sad eyes.

»I can´t, Hyung. I am sorry «

»Please! Do it for me, Wookie «

They starred at each other for a short moment before Ryeowook nodded slowly. How could he refuse if his Hyung looked at him with such a pleading look that still made his heart jump despite the situation?

Finally taking the older´s hand he was pulled of the ground and guided to their room before being pushed lightly towards his bed.

»Try to sleep a little « Ryeowook just nodded in response before snuggling into his blankets. The moment his head met with the pillow all the tiredness came back to him in a flash, but as he closed his eyes the pictures of Kyuhyun lying in the hospital bed so helplessly appeared in front of his inner eye. They had burned themselves into his memory and he could feel hot tears running down his cheeks. The day Kyuhyun was introduced to them had sworn that he would protect the younger despite their small age difference. He had known it would become even harder for the new Maknae than it had been for him and so he had sworn he would make sure the younger´s dream to be a singer would come true. Instead Kyuhyun was lying in hospital and only god knew if he would ever wake up again. A quiet sob escaped his lips at the thought of it and he quickly bit his lip. He didn´t want Yesung to hear and worry about him, but it seems like it was already too late. Seconds later he felt a dip on the mattress before a warm body spooned him from behind. He stiffened immediately. He was sure it wasn´t a good idea to lie that close with the one he definitely had a crush on as his heart seemed to burst any time soon, but at the same time the other´s presents comforted him as always. Yesung seemed to sense his discomfort as he pulled him even closer to his chest and started rubbing comforting circles into his stomach.

»Shhh, Wookie. It´s ok, you need to sleep. You will need all your energy when he wakes up «

»What if he doesn´t? « the younger choked out, his throat tightening to the point where he almost couldn´t breathe.

»Don´t even think of that! He is a strong person ad he will fight through this just like he fought his way into this group « there was not a single trace of doubt in Yesung´s voice and it nearly mad Ryeowook believe that the older knew for sure everything was going to be alright. He wished he had that much confidence.

»Now close your eyes«

»I can´t, Hyung! Every time I close my eyes I see him lying there and…«

»Shhh, just trust me! «

Nodding slowly the Eternal Maknae prepared himself for the images but as he closed his eyes his attention was dragged to the small humming that gradually got louder before Yesung started to sing the lyrics to a children´s song his mother used to sing to him often. Snuggling just a little deeper into the older´s arms around him he slowly felt himself drifting to sleep and as said man tightened his arms around him just slightly he decided that he could forget all the problems in the world as long as the older kept singing for him.