Chapter 12

His Voice

It was more or less half an hour later when the car stopped again. The whole ride Ryeowook had placed the pieces together in all different ways, but the result had still been the same. Signing ones again he quickly opened his eyes to figure out where they had stopped. The image was one that was well known to him and a nostalgic smile creeped up upon his lips. They had come to a hold right in front of their dorm building and the Eternal Maknae was sure he would find the next hint in one of the dorms.

His suspicious seemed to prove themselves to be true as he followed the same arrows as before all the way up to the dorm on the 11th floor. Stopping in front of the door he wondered if he should just use his key or if he should ring the bell instead. Taking a moment of consideration he decided to ring the bell just in case any of the members were there. Not receiving any answer after ringing twice he decided it was safe enough to just enter without surprising anyone.

As he turned the key Ryeowook could feel his heart starting to beat faster, both in curiousity and in fright of what he would find out here. Quickly stepping in and closing the door behind himself he still was a little surprised as he was met with a completely empty dorm. Not that it was any special for all the members to be out on a schedule but at this time there normally was at least someone at home. Deciding not to worry about it for now, as he discovered the next arrow, the brunette followed them until he was ones again standing in front of a room that carried innumerous memories. It was the same room he had shared with Yesung for so many years. The room that was mostly empty by now except their two beds and some things there was no other storage space for.

Staring at the door for a moment a realization hit him but it just couldn´t be! It just didn´t make any sense! Suddenly he wasn´t so sure he wanted to continue this treasure hunt or even to find out what this was all about. Yet his curiousity was bigger. Taking a deep breath to calm his shaking hand he pushed the door open. He wasn´t surprised to find yet another giraffe with a rose and a letter in his arms, sitting on top of Yesung´s bed. Feeling his worries of what the letter might reveal creep up into his heart, he quickly pushed them to the back of his mind before getting comfortable beside the stuffed animal. Talking another deep breath to calm his beating heart, he carefully opened the latter before turning his attention to the lines in front of him.

“I know I don´t have to ask if you remember this place. We shared this room long enough for me to be sure you do. And to be honest I am glad we did. “

Jongwoon! The thought immediately came to his mind as he read this first lines, but  before the Eternal Maknae had a chance to continue reading, his hands began shaking violently making it impossible for him to even see a single letter straight. There was not a single doubt now that their oldest main vocal was behind all this and it left him even more confused. It wasn´t in question that Yesung was in love with Heechul so why would the older organize something like that. Suddenly a though occurred to him and he could feel his heart clench painfully in response. Could it be that he had just interpreted it all wrong? Could it be that this wasn´t a confession at all? Maybe Yesung had just organized all this to remind him of their close friendship so he would stop ignoring him.

The next moment Ryeowook felt a surge of anger pass through his venes and in a sudden emotional act he crumbled up the letter and threw it into the corner before lying down on the bed. Before he really knew what he was doing, he was hugging the pillow that was still lying there. It still smelled faintly like Yesung and he could feel tear well up in his eyes. How could he have been so stupid to thing that anyone would feel any more for him than friendship especially one of the members. They all were like brothers and that was all they would ever be.

Suddenly he felt guilty for ignoring Yesung. It wasn´t the older´s fault he had fallen for him. Their oldest main vocal had done nothing wrong and this whole treasure hunt just showed how guilty he must have made the older feel by ignoring him. Jumping up from the bed, he quickly picked up the crumbled letter before plopping down. Smoothing the pages with his hand, he continued reading ones again

“I don´t know if you remember this one day after debut but I remember until today. I wasn´t in a very good mood that day. I had trained for so many years and to be honest I really wanted to show off in front of you, but instead I didn´t show on screen a single time. I know when you came to talk to me after I fought with manager you just meant well, but at that moment I just couldn´t see it. I know I shouldn´t have screamed at you and the moment I had finally calmed down I felt so guilty about it. You had just wanted to help and I had behaved like an idiot.

Yet, I didn’t want to apologize in between schedules so I had to wait until we finally got home that night. I can´t even explain how glad I was when you forgave me. You even told me that you were sorry for me not being shown and that I deserve to be. It was that moment I was sure you were something special and when he hugged, my heart starting beating faster and I have to admit I really liked the feeling of holding you in my arms. “

A smile spread across Ryeowook´s face. He didn´t know Yesung remembered that day as well and it made him happy to know that their friendship obviously meant so much to the older as well. Picking up the giraffe beside him he pressed it to his chest before continuing to read.

“To be honest I really wished to get another chance to hold you in my arms though when I got it, it wasn´t a happy occation. I guess none of the members will ever forget the day of Kyuhyun´s accident. We all were worried crazy and when you decided to go to the hospital with the others, I was even more worried. I knew you were trying to take care of Kyu ever since he joined us and I knew you would feel responsible so I was worried how you would be able to cope with it all.

I was so worried that when you were away I decided that no matter how sad I would feel, I wouldn´t show it in front of you because it would make you worried about me as well and I didn´t want that. Instead I choose to be strong so that you would have a shoulder to lean on. Therefore I tried to stay awake until you would return home but I must have fallen asleep because I only woke up when I heard the pots clanging in the kitchen.

I immediately knew you were distressed and when I found you cleaning the kitchen for the second time within two weeks, I decided to make it my responsible to make you feel better and to get you to bed. My first instinct after we went to our room was to lie down with you and hug you tightly, but I didn´t know if you would be comfortable with it, but when I heard you sobbing it broke my heart and I just couldn´t help myself. For a moment I was worried you would push me away but then you relaxed so I guess it wasn´t too uncomfortable for you. That day when you fell asleep in my arms I had decided I would do anything to protect you.

Yet, not too much later it was me who needed your comfort. When my mum had called me telling me that my dad had had an accident I was too worried to even think about the consequences and just went home. It was horrible and when me and my brother went home I was so distressed, I didn´t know what to do. I didn´t want to talk to my mum as she was worried enough herself so the only one I could think of was you. I only meant to call you, but when I heard your voice I just wanted to see you.

I don´t remember how I found the corage to ask you to come but I was glad you agreed. I never wanted you to see me like that or for you to worry about me, but when you finally arrived and hugged me it was like a huge weight was lifted from my shoulders. You know I am not one to talk about my problems, but when you listened to me and sang to me I thought it wouldn´t be too bad to talk about my problems with you more often from now on.”

Slowly putting down the letter a bright smile crossed Ryeowook´s lips. He didn´t think the older would remember all this, but it seemed Yesung cherished their friendship as much as he did. Suddenlly the guilt he felt before seemed to be blown away. He knew Yesung wouldn´t be angry at him about it and the next moment he couldn´t wait to finish this treasure hunt and apologize. Quickly packing everything up before heading down, he ones again got comfortable in the taxi.

It was already starting to get dark, when they stopped again, this time in front of the company building. Getting out of the car he furrowed his eyebrows. He couldn´t remember spending any special moments here and it got him even more excited. Following the arrows as fast as he could without running, it didn´t take him long to arrive at one of the recording studios. Without paying much attention to the giraffe and the rose, he stuffed them into his nearly full bag before ripping the letter open. Plopping down on an office chair in front of the synchronizer he carefully unfolded the paper before starting to read.

“I guess you wonder why you are here, Wookie. You probably don´t have any special memory here, but I do. To be honest, I dreaded the day I would have to start social service. I knew what a hard time you had when the oldest and Kangin enlisted and I was worried how you would cope, but to be honest I was also worried how I would do without you.

I was glad you all didn´t plan too much on my last evening. I just wanted to spend as much time with you as possible so I was happy when we had a few minutes alone in the kitchen. Later, when we finally went to bed I wasn´t sure what to do. I really want to make you uncomfortable but I couldn´t help myself and when I held you in my arms and sang to you, I just wished I could stay like that forever. Yet, I knew it would be too hard on the both of us to say good-bye the next morning so I waited until you fell asleep before I left the dorms.

To be honest, the first weeks were the worst. I didn´t want to annoy you so I refrained from calling really wanted to. When you called me I was so happy but I could also tell there was something on your mind. I knew you would tell me, when you were ready, but when you did it froze my heart. When you told me you would go out with Dongwoon, I didn´t know what to say. I always told myself there was no chance but I felt like there was hope. I wanted to ask you not to go but when you said you deserved to be loved, I knew you were right: I had just waited too long.”

Ryeowook felt his hands starting to shake and his heart beat wildly at what he was reading, but he quickly concentrated back on the letter in his hands.

“I knew it was my own fault, yet I didn´t want to give up, so I didn´t knew any help but to call Kyu. He didn´t really want to tell me why you suddenly agreed to go out with Dongwoon, but I knew I had to do something so I decided to at least make sure you wouldn´t forget the special moments we shared. I don´t remember how late it was that night when I came here to record that audio file, but I didn´t care. It was the only thing I could think of and when I bought the package to the dorm the next day, I just hoped it would bring me at least a little chance.”

Putting the letter down for a moment Ryeowook slowly massaged his templets. Suddenly he felt confused again and to his utmost fear he felt hope creep up into his heart. The last letter didn´t really sound like the ones before. There seemed to be much more feelings in this one and it had his body react immediately. His heart rate seemed to accelerate even more and his hands started to get sweaty as he quickly wiped them on his pants.

Lying back into the chair, closing his eyes he slowly took in a deep breath, trying to organize his thoughts. During their talk over the phone that day, he had had the feeling that Yesung didn´t want him to go but he had casted it away as his own imagination. Yet, it seemed he had been right. Could it be that maybe Sungmin was right and it had all been a misunderstanding. Could it be that…Before he could finish the thought the Eternal Maknae quickly pushed it to the back of his mind as he felt even more hope return into his heart. He shouldn´t hope for anything that unrealistic! It just got him hurt the last time and it would this time for sure as well.

Gulping heavily he picked up the papers again to quickly get his mind of it as the picture of Yesung and Heechul reappeared in front of the inner eye.

“As for now, I have one more destination planned for you. I wasn´t able to put up any signs there but you´ll know where to go ones you get there. The driver has already been paid so you don´t have to worry about it. “

Warmth creeped up into Ryeowook´s heart and a small smile onto his lips as he finished the last lines. It was obvious Yesung had put a lot of thought in this and it made him happy that he seemed to mean so much to the older. The smile didn´t leave his lips as he stored the letter next to the others inside his bag before heading back to the taxi.

~*~*~*~*~

So here´s the next chapter. Hope you all enjoy :)