Chapter 4

His Voice

The first time he heard his voice sad was about two years later. They were about to take off to their first schedule that day when Ryeowook noticed someone was missing - The someone that always sat next to him in the car, the someone that had been his best friend ever since he joined the group.

»Hyung « he addressed their manager the moment the car filled in between the other ones on the road. »Yesung is not here yet! « he was sure Yesung had told him this morning that he was supposed to be on this schedule as well.

»Yesung is not coming today « Leeteuk´s voice sounded slightly worried as he answered instead of their manager.

»Why? « the young Korean could feel the fear slowly creeping up his spine as his brain was busy drawing out the worst case scenarios. Yesung had seem totally fine that morning so how come he wasn´t coming now. Had he had an accident? His hands started to shake slightly at the thought. Even though Kyuhyun had fully recovered a long time ago the incident had left a huge impact on him, leaving him with a constant fear of one of s getting hurt again. Shaking his head slightly, he tried to push those thoughts away. Maybe he had just gotten sick. He should ask their manager to stop at the market on their way back so he could buy some ingredients for some soup. A small smile passed his lips at the thought. No wonder he was considered the mother of their group.

»He went home« their leader´s voice brought him back to his current concern. »Something happened to his dad «

Giving a small nod he tried to wrap his head around the new information. He knew Yesung was anything but close with his father so for the older to miss one of the schedules, just to go see him, it had to be something serious.

The following schedules went by in a blur. He tried his best to concentrate but his thoughts kept running to his best friend. When they finally returned to the dorms he quickly washed up before retreating to his room. Starring at the empty bed across the room he wondered whether to call the older or not. He didn´t want to bother the oldest main vocal, but at the same time he needed to know if Yesung was ok. Deciding to give it a try, he reached out for his cellphone before quickly dialing the number. He didn´t even have time to reconsider his decision when the older already picked up the call.

»Wookie? « Yesung´s voice displayed a mixture of confusion and something that sounded similar to relieve and causing the Eternal Maknae to be sure that he had made the right decision.

»Hyung, are you alright? «

»I am fine Wookie, don´t worry. I…« The older´s voice was shaky and Ryeowook had the impression he was trying hard not to cry.

»Are you sure Hyung? «

»Yeah, I…« his voice broke and the younger was pretty sure that Yesung was crying now. »Wookie, you don´t have any schedules tomorrow, do you? «

»No, I have my free day tomorrow. Why? «

»I know it´s a lot to ask for, but…« Yesung seemed hesitant but after a few seconds of silence he continued »Wookie, could you come here? I…I need…« With his heart beating in expectation Ryeowook waited for the other to continue. His heart wished for the older say that he needed him, but nothing came. Instead a heavy silence filled the line until the oldest main vocal spoke up again. »Please, Wookie «

If he had planned to deny before he definitely wouldn´t now. He knew it was probably because of his crush on the older, but he just couldn´t deny his Hyung anything, especially when his voice was nearly desperate like now

»Ok, Hyung. I just talk to Teukkie «

»Thanks Wookie « the thankfulness in the Yesung´s voice had the Eternal Maknae´s heart jump in happiness. So far he had thought he was only him who depended on the older´s support. Now, that it seemed like the other needed him as well, made his head feel light. Feeling it was inappropriate to feel indirectly happy about the fact that his friend was being troubled, he quickly ended the call and went to look for their leader.

Leeteuk wasn´t too happy to let him drive all the way in the dark but he seemed to sense how important was to his two members, going as far as promising to inform their manager about it himself. Quickly escaping through the backdoor without being seen by any fans Ryeowook made his way towards Chunam. With not too much traffic at this time he spend the whole ride wondering what might have happened to get their oldest main vocal that upset. All he had ever seen his hyung was being his happy, a little weird self. Even at that time he wasn´t shown during their debut days he had been more angry than desperate. He tried not to think too much about it, but he had to admit it worried him a lot.

When he finally arrived it was already in the middle of the night. Parking his car he considered ringing the bell, but decided against it. He didn´t want to wake anyone up so he send his Hyung a message instead. Walking up to the front door, he didn´t have to wait long for it to open. When it did the young Korean gulped hard at the image in front of him. Yesung looked horrible if he had to be honest. His hair was disheveled and his eyes were red and swollen as he had obviously been crying. The sight hurt his heart as the older stepped aside wordlessly to let him in.

Getting rid of his coat and shoes he wondered what he could say but was wrapped into a tight bag hug only seconds after the older had closed the door. Feeling the older´s warmth seep through the back of his shirt his heart started to beat wildly in his chest. Worrying that Yesung would take notice he was about to pull away when the oldest main vocal suddenly tightened his arms around his waist and placed his head into the curve of the younger´s neck. Suddenly something warm and wet touched his neck and Ryeowook nearly let out a squeak of surprise. It took him a moment to realize it were tears that ran down his neck in growing intensity. That was all it took for him to forget his fear about the older finding out about his little crush on him. Without hesitation he turned around before wrapping his arms around the older as well. They stayed like that for a while, hugging each other in the middle of the hallway, but when Ryeowook noticed the other´s shaking subside he finally spoke up.

»What happened, Hyung? Are you ok? « pulling away a little he searched the older´s face for any hints, but Yesung just shook his head before taking his hand. As he was let through the house the Eternal Maknae didn´t know if he was disappointed or relieved about the older´s refusal to tell him what had happened. He felt disappointed that the older didn´t seem to trust him enough but on the other side he wasn´t sure if he wanted to know. It had to be something serious to leave Yesung in this kind of state.

Being too caught up in his thought he didn´t noticed how sweaty his hands had gotten until Yesung stopped in what the younger remembered to be his bedroom from the one time he had been here. Pulling his hand away in embarrassment Ryeowook quickly wiped them on his pants before looking up at the oldest main vocal again. Still not saying a word said man slowly sad on his bed before silently patting the spot beside him. Just as so many times before Ryeowook followed the invitation without any questions and plopped down beside his best friend who immediately dropped his head on his shoulder.

»Hyung, what happened? « he just couldn´t help himself but ask again.

»My father, he…« the last word came out strangled before it was interrupted by a sob.

Ryeowook could feel new tears drenching his shirt at the same rate as he felt his heart break. He felt completely helpless. So far it had always been him who needed comfort and not the other way round. Doing the only thing he could think of he wrapped his arm around his Hyung´s shoulder and started to hum the same track Yesung sang to him the night of Kyuhyun´s accident. It didn´t take long until he could feel the older relax a little and start of again.

»My father, he had an accident, Wookie « another sob »he is in hospital now «

»I am sorry « tightening his arm around the other shoulders involuntary, the Eternal Maknae hesitate a moment before speaking up again. »What happened? «

»He got his finger stuck in a machine and no one was there to help. He was stuck for over an hour. He was in pain, Wookie « the older´s voice was filled with so much pain that Ryeowook had trouble holding back his own tears. Biting his lips together he did his best to keep them in. Yesung couldn´t get worried about him as well.

»It´s ok, Hyung. He´s save now, isn´t he? «

»But Wookie, you don´t understand. We have always been so far apart. I have always kept my distance because I was scared of him. I never even tried to get close to him. What if I would have lost him today, Wookie? I…« The oldest main vocal´s voice broke ones again as heavy sobs shook his body. »I am such a bad son! « he gripped his hair almost violently and this time Ryeowook didn´t have to think about what to do. Carefully prying the older´s hands free from his hair he pulled him into a tight hug, slowly moving them from side to side.

»Shhh, Hyung! You are not a bad son. Many people are scared of their fathers « his hands automatically started to rub comforting circles into the older´s back.

»But, Wookie…«

»Don´t think of that anymore Hyung. Think of this as a second chance to get close to him, to care for him. You are an amazing person Hyung and I know you are able to help your father get through this just like you always helped me get through everything! « He hadn´t wanted to reveal that much about his feelings for his best friend but when they came out he said them with such honesty that Yesung´s sobbing stopped instantly and he looked up at the younger with a surprised look. Quickly shaking his head Ryeowook tried his best to ignore the others stare. »Now would you trust me this ones, Hyung? «

Receiving a small nod the Eternal Maknae softly placed the younger´s head into his lap before he up a soft ballade, using his hand to slowly up and down the older´s arm. He felt his best friend slowly relax and drifting into sleep after letting out a quiet thank you.

When he was sure Yesung was finally asleep he got himself as comfortable as possible. Lifting his hand he dared to softly comb through the other´s silk-like hair. Feeling Yesung nestle just slightly into his caress while sleeping, he decided that he would do everything to never see the older said again.

-----------

Special thanks @ag_elf for commenting. I wasn´t sure if this was any good, but your comment makes me definitiely want to finish this.