You Belong With Me..

Painting With Words

 

I'm in my room, doing my usual stuff -homeworks and studying, nothing much. I left my curtains neatly tucked at the side so I can see the house next to mine. Actually, my real intention is to see the boy living in the house. Lee Taemin. I'm not gonna lie. I have a crush on him ever since I first laid my eyes on him. But he always treat me as a friend. Not more than that.

Webecame friends a long time ago. 3 years 3 moths and 13 days to be exact, but who's counting? I've always thought of confessing to him but he's currently dating the most popular girl in school, Bae Suzy. He's the quarterback for our school's football team. Suzy's the cheerleader so it only suits him to date her. Not a nerd like me. Everybody says they are the most perfect couple. Eventhough I agree, I can't help but fantasize that someday he'll see me as more than a friend.

I put my pen down after tapping it a few times against my books. I can't concentrate on my homework anymore. I look up to see Taemin on the phone, arguing with someone. Must be his girlfriend. They're not getting along well with each other lately. It seems that every little thing he said would make Suzy go off on him without any explainable reason. Then Taemin would try his hardest begging for forgiveness and all is great again.

After a few minutes, he ended the call and sat on his bed with clear frustration seen on his face. Then, he saw me looking at him from the other side. He smiled to me and I smiled back. I took out my notepad I use to communicate with him often and wrote "Are you ok?" with a black felt-tip marker and showed it to him.

He took out his notepad and replied "Tired of drama". My suspicions were correct. He was fighting with his girlfriend. I replied to him "Sorry :( ". He shrugged  like saying It's alright. I look down to write I love you on the note pad but before I could, he already closed his curtain. I didn't know  why I did that. I let out a sigh. 

It's a good thing he did,though. It will be awkward with him. I mean, WHAT WAS I THINKING? Did I think for one second he'd go over Suzy for me? Suzy's the cheer captain, for God's sake. I'm only in the school's pathetic band. Not to mention her appeal. She's always wearing these y clothes that only hides her most important assets. As for me, I'm not that brave or confident to wear something like y halter-tops or bare midriffs or even those killer heels. My closet only consists of t-shirts with quotations on it, worn-out jeans and sneakers. I let out a sigh as I closed the lights and went to sleep.....

 

---------------------------------------------------

 

The next day is Saturday. I woke up to a perfect weather. The sun is shining brightly. The sky is clear with no signs of rain and the birds chirping happily while sitting on a branch in front of my house. It's a beautiful day. After breakfast, I decided to read my bok on the bench situated between Taemin's and my house. As I dive into the great world of literature, I can see him walking out of his house in his worn-out jeans and making way to the bench. He took a seat right next to me.

"Hey SulSul!"he greeted me cheerfully"What's up?"

"Hey! I'm just reading this book from Shakespeare..." Before I can continue any further, he tucked a stray strand of hair from my face. I blushed unexpectedly and he chuckled at my reaction. 

"You were saying?"

"Oh, nothing...So what are you up to lately?"

"You know, football practice and....."

He started talking about football and dancing. The two things that interests him the most. I can't hear anything else except for him droning on and on about this Friday's game and his struggle to keep up with his studies and dancing. I zoned out into his eyes a long time ago, occasionally nodding to ensure him I'm listening.

I can't help thinking to myself, how easy it is being with him. I know him as much as he knows me. And I know, he is being less of himself ever since he starts dating Suzy. His smile can light up this whole town and bring down my whole world. But I'm seeing less of that smile now. He keeps saying he's fine but I know him better than that. He's not happy with Suzy. There won't be a lot of fight if I was the one dating him as we truly understand each other. Before I can fantasize more, a red mustang parked in front of me. It is Bae Suzy.

"Taemin! Let's go!" she shouts from her car.

"Bye Sulli! Nice talking to you! See you later!"

He went into his girlfriend's car. I can see her shooting death stares at me. Suzy quickly pulls him into an embrace and kiss him passionately as soon as he got in. I can almost hear my heart broken into pieces. It's obvious in her eyes, she was just doing it to make me jealous and also to say 'Back off! He's mine!' I can only roll my eyes at her.Then, she broke out of the kiss and drove quickly. BUt not before sending a 'I'm better than you' glance to me.

Anger shoots through my body as fast as lightning as the red mustang leaves my vision. How can I compete with her? The Cheerleader! I wouldn't even dream of taking him away from her. Like he would go for me on the first place. I can feel  water coming out of my eyes. I closed my book and went inside, unable to concentrate on the wonders of Shakespeare anymore.

 

---------------------------------------------------------------

 

Only 5 more minutes until the end of the game. Our team only needs one more point to win. I'm at the football game with my bandmates. Taemin is working hard to ensure his team's victory. Suzy's working hard too, cheering at the top of her lungs and doing cartwheels and somersaults. I can only show them my support by playing my trumpet, the instrument I play in the school band. Then, the referee blow his whistle, signaling the end of the game. Cheers fill the stadium as we watch the victory of our school's team. 

By this time, I was cheering like a mad person. I can see Taemin making his way to Suzy, who's flirting with one of the players. Anger is shown on his face as he gets closer to her. He pulled her away from the jock. I can barely make out what they were saying because of the cheering crowd.

"What is the meaning of this?"

"What? You can't control me! I'm Suzy. I'm uncontrollable."

"You're my girlfriend! Why are you flirting with that guy?" She remained speechless but her face shows that she doesn't care anymore at what he said. "You know what, we're through..You hear that? THROUGH!!"

He threw his helmet on the ground and ran out of the field, shaking his head in regret and disappointment. Suzy, on the other hand, ignored him and went back to her boy toy. I am still in a state of shock after seeing this. Bae Suzy chose another guy over Lee Taemin.  It's a good thing nobody else saw this. I really want to go console him but after much contemplating with myself, I decided he needs some time alone to figure out all of this.

 

----------------------------------------------------

 

1 week later... 

 

It's prom night. While everybody in my school is gearing up for this one special night, I'm in my room studying for a chemistry test that is non-existent. I just need some excuse to get out of this silly prom everyone's so excited about. Even my mum. She even bought  a dress just in case I change my mind. It's beautiful, to tell you the truth. Strapless white gown, embedded with a few rhinestones. It would make any person looks like an angel.

Out my window, I can see Taemin getting ready for the prom. He catches my glances and turns to his notepad and writes something on it.

" You going tonight?" he show me his notepad.

"No,studying"

"Wish you were!"

I let out a chuckle at his reply. He take his coat and exits out of his room with hinted disappointment. I let out a sigh as I lay my eyes on the paper  I wrote "I love you" a few weeks ago. 'You know what, maybe i'll go,' I thought to myself. I quickly get dressed and put on some simple makeup and ran down the stairs. I found my mum, watching tv, and she looks stunned as she saw me. I asked her if she can drive me to school. She agrees without any question.

A few minutes later, I arrived at the dance hall. I took a deep breath as I walk into the hall. All eyes were on me as I enter the hall. I ignored them and my eyes search frantically for Taemin. He was chatting with his group of friends when he saw me. He quickly makes his way towards me. Suzy saw this and tries to stop him. She starts caressing his cheeks saying "hey baby." Right then, I thought there goes my chance. But then, the unexpected happen. Taemin ignored her and continue to walk towards me. 

"WHAT?! You're leaving me for that girl?" she screamed and stormed off.

He ignored her words and keep walking until he is right in front of me. Lee Taemin is right in front of me. With shaking hands, I showed him the paper that holds the world "I love you" to him. Then, he searches his pocket and took out a piece of folded paper. He opened it and showed the contents to me. "I LOVE YOU" written in blue ink. 

We both exchange shy smiles. He bit his lips before putting his arms around my waist and pulls me into an embrace. I whispered in his ear "You belong with me" He smiled and leaned forward and plant a kiss on my lips...

 
 
 
 
~O~O~O~O~O~O~O~O~
 
 
Author's Notes :
 
This is my first ever fanfic I wrote when I first joined AFF. And the following was my note..
 

Hey guys!!! This is my first ever fanfic!! I studied Taylor Swift's You Belong With Me music video diligently to be able to write this one-shot...Please enjoy and leave comments after you're done...Also you must know that this has the storyline exactly as the mv...If you don't wish to read it, then dont..I won't force you to...Many many thanks to my sister for creating this poster for me!!! P/S: This story is ENTIRELY Sulli's POV.

 
 
Tell me what you think about it!