A Short Romance..

Painting With Words

 

"Where are you going?" Jonghyun asked his wife who had just came out of their room wearing an outfit as if she were about to go out.

"I'm just going to buy some food,"replied Krystal, nonchalantly.

"Are you crazy?! What if the creditors came? You won't get a chance to escape!" Krystal ignored her husband and walked towards the door as if she didn't hear what he said. Sighing, Jonghyun tried again.

"If you really want to go, then go to the neighbor's house! That will lessen the chances of us getting caught." Again Krystal ignored him and continued her walk to the door.

"Yah! I'm talking to you!" Jonghyun shouted in attempt to stop his wife from going but all that was in vain as Krystal already shut the door and pulled her scarf up to cover her face.

She walked away from her house with a wistful expression. Things haven't been good in the house lately. Especially things between her husband and herself. Ever since Jonghyun's company went bankrupt, they had been in so much trouble. Fleeing from the creditors, hiding away in her brother's house, and they don't even have the money to send her daughter back to New York to pursue her studies. She sighed as she continued her walk to the market.

All this while, her brothers were the one supporting her and her family. They had no money left and she was tired of it. Before the bankruptcy incident, she was a housewife as her husband's income was enough to support all of them and she never had to worry about money. Even Jonghyun was the one who said she could rest because he was so sure that everything will be fine for the rest of their lives. That was the problem with her husband;he was too confident. He was too naive to realize that his vice president had embezzled all of the company's money,running away with them and leaving her and her family in poverty.

She bought everything in her shopping list, intending to go straight to the house so she won't meet with any creditors. Despite her cool act in front of her husband, she was also afraid of meeting one of them unexpectedly so she had everything done as quickly as she can. After all, her trip was just something to clear her mind out of everything that has been going on around her.

She took the park route to go back to her house. Although she wanted to go back to her house as soon as possible, she still needed time to take some fresh air and just enjoy the surrounding for a while. It was quite windy that day as winter was approaching. She held tighter to her bags of grocery and walk leisurely, enjoying the scene of kids playing around and the sound of their laughter. A few feet from her, she could see a young couple embracing each other's presence in the playground. She smiled as she remembered the times when Jonghyun and her were still lovers. It felt so right back then. Why does everything feels so wrong now?

She heard the ring of the bell from a bicycle. She looked up to see the bicycle was approaching her though because of it not being in her route of walking, she ignored it, thinking it wouldn't hit her. However, when the bicycle did cross her path, the basket in front of his bicycle, filled with French baguettes, hit her shoulder which resulted the bread to fall. That made her stop and she bend down to pick up the bread.

"Hey, mister!"she shouted." You dropped your bread! Your baguette fell!"

At the sound of her voice, the cycler stopped his bicycle and turned around. At the moment she saw his face, the wind blew again, kissing her cheeks, fulfilling her with peace and serenity. More than that, she was stunned seeing the cycler's face. To her, he looked like a prince that fell on a desert from a starlit sky. Ridiculous as it sound, it was true that this man, probably the same age as her, probably older, was undeniably handsome. The man looked at her with such intensity that she could feel a blush coming up.

Shaking her head, she approached the man, not wanting him to wait any longer.

"Here is your bread." She handed the baguette to him with a smile. 

"Ah, thank you!" He reciprocated her smile and took the baguette in her hands accidentally or rather purposely touching her hand in the process. Embarrassed, she took her hand quickly after the stranger had hold a strong grasp on the bread. He smiled unknowingly.

"Why are you smiling?" Krystal asked when she saw him smile.

With a low chuckle, he replied "It"s nothing. I just feel like we have good fate, you know?"

Krystal giggled nervously."So, it's like that."

"Thanks for giving me my bread back. You know, most people would just take it and say that it's a gift from the heavens, but I can see you're not like that." Krystal had no answer to the statement.

"Would you like to join me for a cup of coffee?" The charming stranger asked her.

"What?" she replied with a question, stunned by the sudden enquiry. 

At that moment, the wind blew again and filled her with such curiosity. She knew it was wrong to follow a stranger. She had been told countless of times by her parents and also told her own children to never follow a person you don't know. She contemplated to whether following him would be the right thing or to not follow, sticking to her principles. Her heart said it wouldn't be wrong to try it once in awhile while her brain said the opposite.

However, 5 minutes later, she found herself holding a cup of caramel macchiato, in a cafe, with the man whom she just met sitting in front of her. The stranger whom she had learned was name Minho, was staring at her with a gentle face as if she was very interesting. She didn't know why she had agreed with this. Her brain keeps telling her that it was like she was cheating on Jonghyun yet she dismissed the thought. It wasn't like they were dating anyway. They were like old friends, enjoying a delicious cup of coffee together.Though it was so wrong on so many levels yet it felt like the right thing to do at the moment, especially after menopause came to her. Silence filled the atmosphere.

"I don't know why it suddenly got so windy today," she spoke, looking outside  in an attempt to start a conversation thus breaking the silence. After all, weather is always the perfect topic to any start of a conversation.

"I really like this weather, though."He replied, his eyes still on her. She turned her gaze back to the stranger.

"Why is that?" Minho smiled and stared off into space.

It's because it is never like this on normal days. It feels like my heart is shaken." He replied, sipping his coffee and smiling to himself.

It stirred something inside of Krystal. This man is so romantic, she thought, so unlike Jonghyun

"Minho-ssi, if it's not too forward, may I ask what you do for a living?"

"Me? Oh, it's nothing exciting, really. It's just a very ordinary kind of job. Why did you want to know?" She thought about this to herself. Why did she want to know? Well, the reason itself would be because this man in front of her doesn't seem like any normal guy she has ever met.

"Don't take this the wrong way, but you don't seem very normal to me."

"Oh, really?" And then he laughed, the most charming laugh she could have ever seen her whole life. She felt his smile was one of a kind, special. She thought his laugh was very adorable as it wasn't like any other man's laugh, it was very polite. He covered his mouth when he laughed, and he never laughed too much that made him seem like a crazy person. 

When he stopped laughing, she asked again.

"You seem like you work in arts."

"Yes, I'm a music composer."

"Ahh, I see." She smiled and sipped her warm coffee. 

Just then, the music in the background changed to a French song. A song she used to listen all the time when she was still a student. But now, she could hardly remember the singer.

"You like this song?"

"Yes, I do. Umm, who is the artist again? Edi..Edit…" She replied stating the name she could hardly make out in her mind.

"Edith Piaf." He quickly answered. "She's my favorite singer. Presently, she is as beautiful as the France Lavender." 

"So, is your home in Paris?"

"No, it is not. My home is here in South Korea. But I go to Paris occasionally." 

His charming laugh came out again, covering his mouth as he did. He really is a passionate man, she thought. When he stopped laughing, he  fixed his gaze to the door, singing to the song like an experienced musician.

She can't help but being more intrigued at this man than ever. She decided to follow him as well. But she didn't know the lyrics nor did she know any French so she just hummed to the rhythm.

After that, they went out of the cafe, strolling alongside the street. By now, all thoughts of the creditors had long since left from her mind. Now it was filled with the urge to know this man more.

"The wind has stopped." Minho made a comment that Krystal was too indulged in her thoughts that she didn't hear what he said.

"I'm sorry?"

"I'm just saying that the wind has stopped blowing." He repeated with a smile, not bothered at all that Krystal wasn't really paying attention.

"Yes, you're right," said Krystal as she realized this fact. "Thanks for the coffee." Minho looked down and it seemed to her like he was blushing a bit.

"Not at all. I'm glad to have company." Both of them were smiling to themselves. It was like they were young again and had just went on their first date with each other.

"Do you want to walk together?" He inquired.

"I'm going this way." Krystal pointed to the West. Minho looked disappointed for a bit.

"Ah, really? I am going that way." Minho pointed to the East. Disappointment was clear on both of their faces.

"So then..walk carefully!" Krystal gave him a slight bow and walked towards the direction to her house, feeling disappointed as she did. What little romance she had is now going away and she had to come back to her real life now.

"Wait!"Minho called before she could go any further. Feeling the fluttery feelings inside her again, she turned around.

"Yes?"

"I have Edith Piaf's La Vie en Rose album at my studio. Do you want to listen with me?"

"What?" She replied with a question though it meant more as disbelief than not understanding.

"I thought you like her? My studio is not far from here. We could go together and listen it in my studio." 

She contemplated for a while. Before she could give her answer, her ringtone was heard.

"Um, can you please wait for a second?" She turned her back on him and picked up her phone.

"Hello?"

"You said you wanted to buy groceries. Why are you not back yet?" It was Jonghyun, enquiring her to be home. Guiltily, she answered.

"Where else can I be? I'm at the market."

"What are you buying that was taking you so long? Everybody is so hungry," Jonghyun replied with much impatience. Krystal turn back to see Minho, staring at her all the while. He looked down when she did. Sighing, she gave her husband a reply.

"Ok, I know. I'm coming home." She turned off her phone and made her way back to Minho.

"I'm sorry but I can't go with you. Something urgent came up. I need to leave now." She said apologetically.

"Ah, really?" He smiled, giving much hint about his disappointment. Krystal picked up her stuff and made her way back to the house.

"Wait." Minho called after her again. She turned around to see Minho ripping out a piece of the grocery paper bag and started to write something on it. When he finished, he approached her, handing out the piece of paper in her direction.

"This is my number." He spoke as she took the paper from his hand. "I feel like it's a pity that we're parting like this. If you ever want to listen to the music, just give me a call. I want you to listen it with me." 

"Why do you want me to listen?"

"No reason." And then, she heard him laugh again, probably for the last time  ever. 

"Thanks for everything, I'm going now." With a heavy heart, she picked up her pace and left the most charming stranger she has ever met and headed for home. However, she couldn't resist the urge to see him smile for the last time, and turn her head back for just awhile to see that sweet smile of his. Sure enough, he smiled. As she continues her walk back home, she couldn't stop wondering. What would happen if I followed him?

That night, when all of the household had gone to bed, Krystal sat alone on the dining table, staring at the paper with his number that he had given her before they parted. She stared into space, imagining the time she would have with him if ever Jonghyun didn't call. They would sit facing each other in the studio, listening to the song that had become their common interest.

Then, they would tell each other's life story and find other things that interested them the most. And then, he would give her a sneak peek to the song he had said he composed that he was so eager to let her hear. And when everything was over, they would find it hard to let go of each other's presence and she would come back to him.

She snapped out of her trance, realizing it is stupid to imagine herself with another man that is not her husband and someone she had only met a few hours ago. She cursed herself for having such thought. I'm a married woman, she reminded herself again and again. What craziness am I thinking about?

She stared again at the piece of brown paper in front of her. She knew she had to do it. She had to let this short romance go and face her reality. She took the paper in her hand and went to the house's terrace. It was a cold night, and windy too. Just perfect. She held the paper in front of her and took one last look. With a heavy heart, she sent away the note with the wind. Along with the sweet memory she had with Minho.

She was going back to her reality. Awful as it is, she couldn't turn her back on her husband who would probably need him the most at times like this. She would be faithful to him as he never did cheat on her despite the number of girls who liked him back then. She is not the kind of woman who would leave her husband for someone she barely knew and she would never be. A deep sigh escaped as she went in to the house. 

Goodbye Minho. Thanks for everything.

 

 

 

~O~O~O~O~O~O~O~

 

Author's Notes :

 

So, how's the one shot? This was based on High Kick 3 episode and I think I just have to do it. Does it seem weird to you? If it does, please tell me in the comments below! This might not be exactly accurate like in the episode, but I tried to make it great. If you guys haven't seen High Kick 3 yet, what are you guys doing? Go see it quick! I love the sitcom so much and not just because of Krystal!