Baby Steps

Painting With Words

 

Hurt. Betrayed. Disoriented.

Yet somehow she found her way home.

It would be a lie if she said she wasn't the slightest bit hurt when Minho said he was dating Krystal. She wasn't shocked of the fact. She knew they would somehow be together again. But she meant no ill intention towards the both of them when she said to Minho to bring Krystal back. No, she wasn't that kind of girl. The kind that would break apart a couple for her own selfish reason.

But it still hurts knowing that he put her aside, someone he knew for a long period of time, for someone he only knew for a couple of months. She didn't blame him though. Instead, she blamed herself for not being there during the past years. 

She knew he had feelings for her. She knew it for quite long but she chose to ignore it. She didn't want to mess the situation with someone she has a special relationship with. She was too afraid to take the risk. But she came back to Korea with the sole purpose of seeing him. 

She was too afraid of confirming all the feelings she had within her. Boyfriends and love were never much to her liking. In her opinion, it is too complicated and not worth a bother. But when she left her hometown, she began having this unrecognizable feelings. Feelings that bother her all throughout the first year she's been abroad. 

But then it hit her. 

She was in love.

When she first discovered this, she had the amazing urge to tumble with laughter. Im Yoona, the very person who said she will never fall for any men, is in love? Surely, that would be the joke of the year. And the harder she tried to resist the feeling, the harder it hits her. She couldn't deny it any longer. She was in love with her childhood friend.

Deep down, she was very much grateful that her first love was Minho. At least, he won't hurt her like those other guys her girlfriends talked about. Plus, she already knew everything about him so there won't be any down side to this, right?

Wrong.

And what happened today proved it.

She was just a little bit too late. He was already taken and there's nothing she could do about it. She cursed herself silently.

Lying on her bed, staring at the ceiling, she kept replaying Minho's dialogue to her a little while ago. "I'm with Krystal now. We have started dating so she's my girlfriend. We're on a date right now. So I hope you won't interfere." 

Stupid Minho.

Why must he be so blunt? Of course, that is one of his traits. Being so oblivious to his surroundings and other people's feelings has always been his specialty. So blunt, so hurtful.

But Im Yoona didn't cry.

Despite the fact her first love has gone to the arms of another woman, she didn't feel any sort of resentment towards Krystal. In fact, she wished them all the happiness they can get. Not a single tear left her eyes since the moment Minho said those hurtful words to her. She thought it would, but nothing did.

She pondered upon this matter a bit further. Does it mean she wasn't in love with Minho as she thought she was? Then what was all that feelings she couldn't understand?

She immediately got up from her bed, decided she should take this matter out of her head for a while.

 

 

~**~**~**~

 

 

The shrill sound of children's laughter filled her ears. She watched as the little kids run around the playground, chasing, teasing, playing with each other. At the instant, she felt a twinge of jealousy. Oh, how she wished she can be a kid again. Then, the only thing she had to be worried about was if there is a monster underneath her bed or if the darkness would kill her at night. Yeah, it all seemed better as a kid.

She rocks the swing back and forth as she watches the children on the grounds. Her gaze fell upon a woman, probably in her 30s, attending to her child. A small smile appeared without her noticing its presence. She would love to be in that woman's shoes. She must have a loving husband with probably two other kids waiting at home. And her child is kinda cute too. A loving family with all things considered normal was everything Yoona has ever wanted in life.

So far, her life has been everything but normal, especially after leaving Korea. The only thing that was normal in her life would be Minho. She grew up in an affluent state and so all her stuff has been exquisitely rich. She couldn't find any true friends in her life as most of them only wanted to be close to her for the money. But Minho was different. He cared for her, and never once asked anything of her. He wasn't in the poor state neither was he in the rich state. He was alright and that's what made Yoona agreed to be friends with him. His sincerity and his bluntness. All apart of the things that made him attractive.

She shook her head violently, realizing that Minho was in her head again.

All of a sudden, she felt her eyes getting hot. Oh no. It's finally going to happen. Im Yoona is going to cry because of a guy for the first time in her life. Before she could hold back any of it, a piece of white tissue dangled in front of her. Through her hazy vision that was already clouded with tears threatening to spill, he saw the silhouette of a guy. She couldn't see his face though but she accepted the tissue nonetheless. She wiped away the tears in her eyes as the kind man took a seat at the swing beside her.

Awkward silence surround them for a while, despite the fact children and parents alike filled the playground. However, all that was broken when Yoona decided to take a peak at the kind stranger beside her. She blushed distinctively when she turned her head just to meet the stranger's eyes. Beautiful eyes, she had to admit. Not long after, she heard a low chuckle coming from the stranger beside her. A bit sore, she turned to him, ready to give him a piece of her mind.

"Excuse me, do you think it's funny that I am sitting here, alone, trying to find some peace and tranquility while you laugh at my misery?" Again, another chuckle. Yoona felt pretty stupid by now.

"No, I most certainly not, my lady." He said, stifling another laugh. At this point, Yoona was already exasperated by his antics. She got up and stormed off the swing set, only to have the guy stop her. She spun around, to see him standing in front of her, looking quite apologetic.

"Look, I'm sorry if you're irritated, I shouldn't have laugh and I apologize for that. But the reason I laughed wasn't because you were crying. That would have been very rude."

"Then why on earth were you?"

"I thought you were cute." Another blush crept upon her cheeks, unwillingly. She brushed his words off and tried to look angry once again. But her attempts failed tremendously as the stranger laughed again.

"If you're going to keep on laughing at me, I better go." She tried releasing her hand from the man's grip but to no avail. 

"Ok, ok, I'm sorry. My name is Changmin, by the way." He let go of her hand and holds out his, offering a smile. Yoona took his hands rather roughly showing a clear sign that she wasn't a bit pleased with his charming smile.

"Yoona."

"Pretty as the owner."

"Do you do this to every girl you meet?"

"Pretty much."

"Well then, I'll be on my way if you want to keep on hitting on me." And for the third time that day, Changmin stopped her. Yoona struggled out of his grip.

"Will you just let me go?" 

"No."

"What do you want from me? Money? Job? Or are you a ?"

"If I want all those stuff, why would I come to you in a public place, full of people?"

"Then?"

"I want to know the reason."

"The reason?"

"The reason why you-well almost-cried."

At that instant, Yoona felt all the cold front she's been putting up melt like a snowman on a sunny summer day. She didn't know what came over her as she fell into the stranger's arms. She ended up spilling everything that has happened as tears flow steadily out of her eyes. All the while, Changmin pats her back as he struggles to understand what was the girl saying through her tears. It didn't take much but he understands more than half of it. But that was enough for him to understand the pain this girl is going through. 

Honestly, he doesn't know the reason he went up to her out of the blue. He came to this playground almost everyday but he had never seen this woman before. And to see her so upset, bothers him more. A beautiful woman like her does not deserve to be down in the dumpster like that. He could guess that something really bad has happened to her, be it the death of a beloved person or losing something precious, he was determined to know what it is and try his best to comfort her in any way that he can.

Her sniffles brought him back to reality. 

"I'm sorry." Yoona said softly.

"What?"

"I'm sorry."

"Can you repeat that again?"

Yah, I'm not repeating it for the third time! I know you heard it and I also know you're not deaf." Changmin chuckled once more, earring a low grunt from the ever annoyed Yoona.

"What are you sorry for, anyway?"

"For being so bitter, for having you listening to all that crap stories of mine and also dirtying your shirt with my tears."

"Not to mention snot." She sent another death glare to him. His reply; a charming smile. Unexpectedly, Yoona laughed. Probably for the first time today.

She laughed.

He laughed.

And that was the start of another beautiful relationship.

 

~**~**~**~**~

 

Author's Notes:

 

I did ChangYoon for the first time! So how was it? This is actually the 15th chapter from my fic The Librarian's Story. It's a MinStal fic, mostly but there are other couples too. Check it out if you like^^  Oh! And I'm doing a rewrite on one of my fics and I need 20 characters from SMTown artists. So far I have 12 people and so I need 8 more. So if any of you would like to recommend your bias or OTP in SMTown I'd be very happy to consider! That's all from me! You can all make requests if you like and I'll try my best to write them^^

**Picture credit to brachialis at Tumblr!